Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Ford America Introduce 15 new Powertrains

http://www.caradvice.com.au/52684/fo...rains-in-2010/

Quote:
Ford North America to introduce 15 new and improved powertrains in 2010

January 11, 2010 by Tim Beissmann

Nine new or upgraded engines and six new transmissions will be introduced into Ford’s North American line-up this year, with quality improvements and emissions and fuel reductions among the manufacturer’s main objectives.

Of most interest to Australia are the 2.0-litre 4-cylinder EcoBoost – set for the Falcon in early 2011 – and the 5.0-litre Coyote V8 from the Mustang – expected to appear in the new Euro IV-compliant high-performance FPV sedans.

Other engines range in size from a 1.6-litre unit for the Fiesta right up to the 6.7-litre Power Stroke turbocharged V8 diesel for the Super Duty truck.

Breaking new ground for Ford North America is the 2.0-litre Ti-VCT (twin independent variable cam timing) naturally aspirated direct injection engine due in the new-generation Focus late in the year.

The new transmissions are all six-speed variants, including three automatics, one manual and two PowerShift dual clutch systems for the Fiesta and Focus.

Ford powertrain engineering vice president, Barb Samardzich, said the changes were all part of the company’s five-year effort to overhaul its entire global powertrain portfolio.

“Ford is delivering on our commitment to lower emissions, improve fuel economy and deliver the highest quality powertrains in the industry. We are making this happen with one of the most ambitious powertrain upgrades ever undertaken by Ford.

“By the end of 2010, nearly all of Ford’s North American engines will have been upgraded or replaced since 2008,” she said.

Between 2008 and 2013, 60 engines, transmissions and transaxles will be renewed or significantly upgraded, with the ambition to offer an EcoBoost engine in 90 percent of its product line-up with annual volume of vehicles with EcoBoost at 1.3 million globally.

And its efforts are not going unnoticed, with the US Environmental Protection Agency recently announcing that Ford US has recorded the largest fleet-wide fuel economy gains in the past five years.

Combined car and truck efficiency improved by almost 20 percent since 2004 – nearly double the next closest competitor – while Ford’s tailpipe CO2 emissions were also down by around 9 percent from 2008 across the range.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good news No AMF or SIDI !!!
Old 12-01-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

interesting times ahead.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So what engines do we know are going to be in the upgraded FG in July?

- 4 cylinder turbocharged
- direct injection 4.0
- direct injection 4.0 turbo charged
- Coyote V8 5.0

Is that correct?
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf
So what engines do we know are going to be in the upgraded FG in July?

- 4 cylinder turbocharged
- direct injection 4.0
- direct injection 4.0 turbo charged
- Coyote V8 5.0

Is that correct?
5.0L
I6 4L (can stay port injection to pass emissions)
I6 4L Turbo
I6 4L DILPG

4cyl is meant to come out in 2011.
Old 13-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Wish we got the big bad 6.7ltr Trucks here, i love F-Trucks!
Old 13-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Really does seem that FORD are going all out ..... later 1/2 of the year is going to be very interesting and can't wait to see how things pan out. GM in comparison seem to be mucking around not quite knowing which direction to go with 3.0 & 3.6 V6's, SIDI, Hybrid & the 'redundant' AMF.

Quote:
and the 5.0-litre Coyote V8 from the Mustang – expected to appear in the new Euro IV-compliant high-performance FPV sedans.
Interesting snippet ..... is this an obvious slip?

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
5.0L
I6 4L (can stay port injection to pass emissions)
I6 4L Turbo
I6 4L DILPG

4cyl is meant to come out in 2011.
And we may get the 5.0L supercharger version I read?

I wonder how much power the FPV F6 is going to produce this time around with direct injection, I think it is going to be a weapon and probably beat the V8's (both Ford and Holdens) or at least Ford will under quote the F6 power figures like they have done in the past.
Old 13-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I6 wont be Direct Injected. Pretty sure the current FGs are running the Euro 4 engines already.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #10
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So wont be direct injection, that sucks!
Old 14-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Does that mean that Ford Aust. will adopt powertrains available globally ie, dump the long 6cyl?
Old 14-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford oz have commited to the I6 and with government investment and their own investment to meet euroIV standards it is here for a while yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
Does that mean that Ford Aust. will adopt powertrains available globally ie, dump the long 6cyl?

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #13
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

More about the V8 here, FPV already working on the supercharged version. V8 is direct injection. http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576A8000154BC
Old 14-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #14
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wonder if the F6 will get a power upgrade? Something tells me it won't get one because of the emissions modifications they would have done to the engine, they should at least up the power by 10kw and a few Nm.
Old 14-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #15
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar
More about the V8 here, FPV already working on the supercharged version. V8 is direct injection. http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576A8000154BC
Thanks for the link, its an interesting article. GoAuto are hinting that FPV may only offer the V8 with the supercharger and may not have an N/A offering. Maybe the N/A Coyote will end up in the XR8 models and maybe even the G6?

Ford Australia should be assembling the Coyote here at least they can do their own camshaft and tune. Or better still why dont they just add some displacement to the Coyote and stroke it to 5.8 or something that would be a big boost in power and outgun HSV's offerings.
Old 14-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #16
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

V8 is not direct injected either, Goauto article is wrong. The engine is setup to take it later down the track however.
Theres a good magazine scan of the new V8 here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247463

Old 14-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar

It wont be D.I (it didn't require it as FordUS got their 80hp/l target, but it has the potential to be. As well its already made strong enough for F.I.
Old 15-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #18
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

OK but how can you be so sure, the GoAuto article is much more recent? DI would be a good marketing point for not a huge investment. Without it Holdem will just keep crowing how they have it and Ford doesn't.
Old 15-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #19
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Page 50 of the link XR6 Martin posted will have the article. The info is straight from the Ford engineers that built the engine. I'll believe them rather then a 'Journo'.
Old 15-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #20
xr_ash
Banned

Not sure about the 4 cylinder for the falcon... surely it would be grosely underpowered for a car that size and weight, even if it is a turbo! Or is the Falcon set to 'shrink'???
xr_ash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr_ash
Not sure about the 4 cylinder for the falcon... surely it would be grosely underpowered for a car that size and weight, even if it is a turbo! Or is the Falcon set to 'shrink'???
The new 4 cylinder is all alloy, no? That would be a weight saver right there, plus its physically smaller.

It wont be bad I bet.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #22
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You have to look at the 4 cylinder addition to the falcon line up not as a performance addition but more of an option for economy chasers, not everyone wants to drive a falcon needs the power to tow and accelerate quickly, its just another market share they are targeting and they need the power from the 4 cylinder ecoboost as its a heavy car, having these engines as options is a great idea and will bring ford australia into a larger market that clearly the last 2 years the australian cars market has shifted too the smaller sized engine vehicles, its like the good old days when you could get the 3.3, 4.1, 4.9 or 5.8 as an option so everyones covered.
Old 15-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #23
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4cyl Falcon should drop 100kg or so, which puts it at about 1600kg. 175kw/350nm should be ok with that weight.

Merc E250CGI has 150kw/310Nm from a 1.8L Turbo, weighs 1650kg, does 0-100 in 7.7secs and gets 7.3L/100km