Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Buntz
Straight Eight

Default Clarkson writes review on his experience in an FPV GT.

I have been dreaming of this moment for some time. Thing is. The money grabbing Times of the UK won't let me access it without registering and paying a pound. How shoddy is that?

And part of the terms and conditions for registering is no copying and pasting, and or linking to it. And you know how the poms take their terms and conditions. Normally I wouldn't have mind paying the pound if I could share it with all of you chaps. But now it will be just for me. So I'm not going ahead with it for now.

Scroll down until you see FPV Boss 335 GT.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...eremyclarkson/

Old 09-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 
Default Re: Clarkson writes review on his experience in an FPV GT.

This is the article...stolen from fordaustraliaforums.com

Quote:
"On the face of it Australia is much like any other modern, developed nation. But for a number of reasons it isn’t, and chief among those reasons is the koala: you may not know this but it spends almost all of its life off its face on dope and then, whenever it feels frightened, it catches chlamydia. You do not find this sort of thing going on with any other creature in any other part of the world.

Then you have the kangaroo. The red variety can travel at 40mph, which is fast enough to give a G-Wiz a run for its money. But no kangaroo of any sort can back up. They have no reverse gear at all. Plus, all female kangaroos are permanently pregnant.

Life is very different for the female Sydney funnel-web spider. She has to spend her whole life in the burrow and is not allowed out until she dies of old age. The males, meanwhile, like to roar around Sydney at night, swimming in people’s pools, hiding in children’s shoes and eating anyone who gets too close.

I like Australia but almost everything you find down under is unique. The duck-billed platypus, for instance. Surely the strangest animal ever to leap from the fumes of God’s chemistry set.

On land it is four-wheel drive, but underwater it becomes front-wheel drive and uses its rear legs for steering. So it’s an amphibious fork-lift truck, with a beak.

We see the same sort of thing in sport. Elsewhere in the world, you have American football or proper football. Whereas down under there is Aussie Rules, which is strange because from what I can gather there aren’t any rules at all. Apart from no poofters, obviously. The game itself is part soccer, part rugby and part basketball, but what sets it aside from all three is that each side consists of about 17,000 players, all of whom wear rather unattractive skintight vests.

Another notable thing in Australia is a fanatical approach to health and safety. There are more speed cameras than people, and if you wish to go snorkelling you must dress up in a giant nylon all-in-one. This means no part of your skin, including hands, feet and face, is in contact with the water, and so you cannot get stung by a box jellyfish.

In some ways it is a wise precaution. But I’m sorry — splashing about in an acrylic submarine rather spoils the point of snorkelling. And it’s not as if the box jellyfish is unique to Oz. The little critters are everywhere, and no other nation makes you get into a condom just in case.

It gets worse. After my snorkelling expedition, I tried to rent a Jet Ski. But a state law meant that I had to sit down, in the blazing sunshine, and take a written exam. What’s to learn? There’s a throttle and that’s it. My daughter was riding a Jet Ski at the age of five. An idiot could do it. I pointed all this out to the blond surfer dude who was running the course but it was as if he’d been programmed: safety is everything.

Not on a Jet Ski, it isn’t. Fun is everything. Whizzing about and trying to splash your mates is everything. Getting knocked off by a big wave is everything. If you want to be safe on a Jet Ski, get off it.

So there you are, in a country where they drive on the same side of the road as us, speak the same language and have the same head of state. And the same summer weather, if my recent trip is anything to go by. But it’s not the same at all.

And it especially isn’t the same when you look at cars. In every other country in the world people may like the brand of car they drive, but not so much that they would punch someone in the face for driving something different.

To the average Aussie there are two brands. Ford and Holden. And even if you are a solicitor and you drive an Audi, you are instinctively in one of these two groups. I was going to say it’s like the Catholics and the Protestants in Northern Ireland, but it isn’t. It’s more ingrained than that.

There is such fanaticism, in fact, and loyalty that both Ford and General Motors make cars specifically for the Australian market. We’re talking about a country of just 22m people — most of whom are in Earls Court. That would be like making a car specifically for Romania. It wouldn’t happen.

That said, it is not expensive to engineer a car for the Australian market. Certainly, you don’t have to employ a stylist. The current crop of Holdens aren’t too bad, in a meaty, knuckle-dragging sort of way, but the Fords ... Oh dear. And it was always thus, even back in the days of Mad Max and his Interceptor.

I tried the new Ford Falcon FPV Boss 335 GT when I was over there and it struck me that someone had spent a few quid on the engine and then nothing at all on anything else. I’m told this is how it should be when you are upside down. Which you will be if you try to make it go round a corner.

The old Falcon V8 was a bit of a problem child because the turbocharged V6 model was faster and nice to drive. So Ford has teamed up with Prodrive — the famous Aussie motor racing house in Oxfordshire — to create the new one.

It was a big ask because the base engine comes from a Mustang and it has asthma. To try to insert a bit of ephedrine, it is now fitted with a supercharger and an intercooler, which means you get lots of grunt. So much that every time you set off you “lay a couple of darkies”. People cheer when you leave a skid mark like this in Australia.

So it’s quite gruntsome in a straight line, but it is too big, too soft and too heavy to be remotely good at anything else. And inside, you get the impression everything is made from Cellophane. My snorkelling suit felt more robust.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 09-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

His review doesn't really surprise me, compared to the $100k+ Euro's he is used to driving and reviewing.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

2024 Subaru Outback Touring XT

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Old 09-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
Buntz
Straight Eight

Ouch. What a stupid english **** head.

Clarkson.... you are no longer my hero.

BTW we have a straight-six... if that's too much for you to grasp?
Old 09-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Ouch. What a stupid english **** head.
Is he wrong?

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

2024 Subaru Outback Touring XT

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Old 09-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy
Is he wrong?
Well.... yes. If you can fall in love with a Commodore, and not a Falcon... then there is clearly something wrong.

I wouldn't have called it a review even. He took it for a couple laps around a go-kart track.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

that wasn't really a review, it was a pretty lame read really.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Well.... yes. If you can fall in love with a Commodore, and not a Falcon... then there is clearly something wrong.

I wouldn't have called it a review even. He took it for a couple laps around a go-kart track.
Whilst i do agree it was really just a mundane driver around, so not a proper road test.
Just because he 'Fell in love' with a commodore doesnt mean that the same should happen with the Ford.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
turbocharged V6 model
Im sure he means Turbo I6...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 09-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

I usually like his reviews,dont agree with this one though.

Made me laugh still.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Whilst i do agree it was really just a mundane driver around, so not a proper road test.
Just because he 'Fell in love' with a commodore doesnt mean that the same should happen with the Ford.
Something that is lighter and harder going than a Commodore.

Even about the same dimensions and weight of a Jaguar XKR which he claimed as good as a BMW M5. But that wasn't too soft... or too heavy?

Doesn't make sense. Although, the old boy does often change his mind when he drives it on his own track.

Styling is subjective. But I'm not a fan of the raccoon eyes either, if that's what put him off.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #12
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Review" sounded more like a winge about the country then a brief winge about the GT with some incorrect facts chucked in. Anyone else heard of Australia Fords turbo V6?
Old 09-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #13
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
"Review" sounded more like a winge about the country then a brief winge about the GT with some incorrect facts chucked in. Anyone else heard of Australia Fords turbo V6?
Yeah... the new Territory.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #14
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Who cares?

Nothing to see here, move on.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Makes you wonder why anyone would pay a pound to read something like that...

He's not an automotive journalist, he's an entertainer...I commenced reading feeling that it wasn't the real thing, read a bit more and his 'style' is definitely there...it seems to be more of a ****-take on Australian animals, and not much else...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 09-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #16
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
That said, it is not expensive to engineer a car for the Australian market. Certainly, you don’t have to employ a stylist. The current crop of Holdens aren’t too bad, in a meaty, knuckle-dragging sort of way, but the Fords ... Oh dear. And it was always thus, even back in the days of Mad Max and his Interceptor.
I tried the new Ford Falcon FPV Boss 335 GT when I was over there and it struck me that someone had spent a few quid on the engine and then nothing at all on anything else. I’m told this is how it should be when you are upside down. Which you will be if you try to make it go round a corner.

The old Falcon V8 was a bit of a problem child because the turbocharged V6 model was faster and nice to drive. So Ford has teamed up with Prodrive — the famous Aussie motor racing house in Oxfordshire — to create the new one.

Good fun to watch Clarkson in a knuckle dragging sort of way on his show but thats about it, you have got to remember its an entertainment show obviously he's not a good journalist and the show is not factual or he would not get it so wrong all the time.
He's just out looking if the cheque from government motors has arrived yet.....with a nice thankyou card of course.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 09-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #17
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
Who cares?

Nothing to see here, move on.
Who cares what one of the most influential people in the motoring world thinks of our beloved GT?

Probably most people who frequent these forums.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #18
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

He had the car for the whole time he was in Melbourne as his private get around, it was not just the quick lap around the go kart track.
I read this a while ago and im not surprised really, he may have a different opinion if he had it on "the track" as they did when they originally got their hands on the Monaro.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

Old 09-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #19
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Post through the link below was written by the person who had the car after clarkson.

Apparrently in the few days he had it, Clarkson destroyed a set of rear tires.

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/to...55-evaluation/
Old 09-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #20
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
He had the car for the whole time he was in Melbourne as his private get around, it was not just the quick lap around the go kart track.
I read this a while ago and im not surprised really, he may have a different opinion if he had it on "the track" as they did when they originally got their hands on the Monaro.
Well I didn't know that.... but it's still a load of crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
Makes you wonder why anyone would pay a pound to read something like that...

He's not an automotive journalist, he's an entertainer...I commenced reading feeling that it wasn't the real thing, read a bit more and his 'style' is definitely there...it seems to be more of a ****-take on Australian animals, and not much else...
Maybe he wrote it that way because his readers expect him to write something Anti-Australian.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #21
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
he current crop of Holdens aren’t too bad, in a meaty, knuckle-dragging sort of way, but the Fords ... Oh dear. And it was always thus, even back in the days of Mad Max and his Interceptor.
this dude is officially on crack
AU III XR8 red ute
Old 09-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #22
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Who cares what one of the most influential people in the motoring world thinks of our beloved GT?

Would his opinion stop you buying one?
I really dont think he would be influential for a car that cannot be bought in the UK. Im sure the people in the red corner are using his 'review' as ammo.
If it were me and i was an average Joe buying a RWD performance sedan i wouldnt give one iota what JC said to be honest.
Im a very Avid fan of JC aswell but still i wouldnt care.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Zing, he basically backed up what I said about the Falcon in general, good engine and drivetrain wise, rubbish everything else.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #24
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
I really dont think he would be influential for a car that cannot be bought in the UK.
If it were me and i was an average Joe buying a RWD performance sedan i wouldnt give one iota what JC said to be honest.
Im a very Avid fan of JC aswell but still i wouldnt care.
Keep in mind you are an individual. Your thoughts are your own, as are your logic and thought process.

But he has topped polls for his influence. And many sheep will say, "if the big JC says it's crap, it's crap."
Old 09-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #25
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Zing, he basically backed up what I said about the Falcon in general, good engine and drivetrain wise, rubbish everything else.
Ha... coming from you that's a laugh. You even said yourself you'd be a V8 kia.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #26
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Keep in mind you are an individual. Your thoughts are your own, as are your logic and thought process.

But he has topped polls for his influence. And many sheep will say, "if the big JC says it's crap, it's crap."
Yeah it is my opinion thats true, but i still cant see how he can be that influential on the GT as im sure its a decent package.
Quote:
Have you driven one then? Better not post my against the grain thoughts i might upset a few.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Lol coming from the guy with "93 ED" in his name.

ED Falcon, the pinnacle of the automotive industry, right?
Old 09-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #28
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Still sounds like a toss in an entertaining kind of way.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #29
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:

He is an entertainer that can drive, i enjoy his show but I don't give a rats backside what he or anyone else thinks about our cars.

Any purchase decision of mine won't be based on what he says or thinks and if anyone made a decision based on his comments then their an idiot.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #30
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Yeah it is my opinion thats true, but i still cant see how he can be that influential on the GT as im sure its a decent package.
I'm not talking about the GT specifically. Anything that man says about a car is considered gospel.

Quote:
Have you driven one then? Better not post my against the grain thoughts i might upset a few.
No I haven't driven the GT. But's it's the same car with a V8 plonked in it. Although heavier in the front.

But Big Damo wouldn't know a good car if it ran over him.