Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2007, 07:37 AM   #1
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

Default Ford to re-instate Taurus....WTF?!!

heard this on 7 Sunrise this morning durintheir finance report.

Ford America are releasing the Tuarus again after removing it from production months(?) ago. 500 will be pruduced for the Motor Show (in one of their cities, didnt catch the name).

Are they stupid? that was one of the worst cars they built IMO. perhaps they have re-designed the whole thing from inside out. will be interesting to see some pics of what they plan to release.
anyone else heard about this or know anything more?

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 08:08 AM   #2
all4ford
XW 351

Lets hope its not that same ugly design where you cant tell if its driving at you forward or reversing towards you. :
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

news flash (Totally unsubstantiated....)

Taurus will be LHD Falcon in 2009... lol
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL, they have them at my local wreckers now.
Apparently it was a huge success in the States.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

The facelifted version of the taurus was ok, just not the original 'weird-***' design.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

The Taurus has been around in the states for years. The model we had here wasnt the first/only one ever made, it was just the latest version at the time. Dunno how far it goes back, at least the 80s. They were one of the square sedans they used as cop cars & taxis etc along with the chevy.

I assume its a new design not teh update of the cockroach one we had. That styling should be dead and buried (I hope!).

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:53 AM   #7
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
Apparently it was a huge success in the States.
Because FWD > RWD in snow.

But it don't snow here. Well, not in the suburbs anyway. Large FWD cars will never "cut it" here. The Aussie large car market demands RWD, as evidenced by Commodore & Falcon sales as opposed to Aurion & 380. In the US, you can buy a brand new Chevy Impala with a 5.3 litre V8 and it'll be FWD. That's just stupid.
robs_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #8
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2008 Ford Taurus - Auto Shows 1 | 2

Ford slaps a once-successful nameplate on its refreshed and reinvigorated Five Hundred
BY STEVE SILER AND MIKE DUSHANE, February 2007

If you follow such minutia (or read all 80 pages of our Detroit auto show coverage), you probably already know that the Ford Five Hundred is slated to get a Fusion-style, three-chrome-slat grille and a 260-hp, 3.5-liter V-6 for 2008.

It also shouldn’t come as a shock to anyone that the Five Hundred name has garnered precisely zero brand equity in its three years on the market. Blame it on the car’s inadequate power, its lack of competitive safety features, or its utterly forgettable styling.

You might also know that the Taurus, which was once America’s best-selling car, is now out of production after years of neglect and sales that dropped in direct proportion to the number of times Ford cost-cutters said “Put off those Taurus updates for another year.”

The obvious solution (even to people with a marketing degree, apparently) is to ditch the Five Hundred nameplate and revive the Taurus designation for Ford’s big sedan. Why didn’t we think of that? We’re not going to be too hard on ourselves, as Ford itself apparently got this bright idea after it had already introduced the vehicle as the 2008 Five Hundred at the Detroit auto show in January of 2007.

The only problem with this name shuffling is that long-time Taurus buyers may be confused by the re-badged Five Hundred, as it’s a much bigger and more expensive car. Ford hasn’t confirmed anything yet (not even the name change), but we suspect that serious de-contenting and price reduction is in order. If Ford’s past shenanigans are anything to go by, say buh-bye to map lights, sound deadening, trunk carpeting, alloy wheels, speakers, and even trim pieces. The 2007 Five Hundred’s $24k base price is simply too high for former Taurus buyers. We guess that a base 2008 Taurus (do milk crates for seats really meet government standards?) will be priced at scarcely over $20k.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #9
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having actually owned a FWD Taurus wagon in the States in 2002 for 4 month, I would have to say that it wasn't a bad car. It was a 1986 (or 1984, can't remember which year) and it survived the 4 months that we had it. I think we traveled a fair few miles in it (3000 perhaps?) in that time. Never failed us once. It had it's problems, some emission sensors had crapped themselves and she ran a bit hot because of this, but it never stopped. We bought it for about US$1800 and it was sold for us for about US$1000.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #10
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I like the blue taurus in the movie "road trip", especially when it goes over that bridge. Actually, here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0udQ9gIrHkY

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #11
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I agree with 'stg doofey' drove one around for 2 weeks last year and while they are no road rocket they perform their intended purpose with ease. They are economical, easy to drive, easy to park, comfortable, big enough and are easy to get in and out of. The American market is not all about Mustangs and F series trucks. I'm told the rental market in the US is around 5 times the size of our total vehicle market here and it’s dominated by the Taurus in much the same way as the taxi market here is dominated by the Falcon.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #12
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This move is further indication that Ford US is going down the toilet. The 500 was supposed to replace the Taurus and turn thier fortunes around in that segment which is being taken over by Accord and Camry. Now they've turned it around and renamed the new car with the old name....WTF???? I don't see any improvement in sales.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #13
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs_ls1
Because FWD > RWD in snow.

But it don't snow here. Well, not in the suburbs anyway. Large FWD cars will never "cut it" here. The Aussie large car market demands RWD, as evidenced by Commodore & Falcon sales as opposed to Aurion & 380. In the US, you can buy a brand new Chevy Impala with a 5.3 litre V8 and it'll be FWD. That's just stupid.

The RWD vs FWD is not such a big deal anymore. With traction control and other various big, dumb, American driver aids - most RWD cars can drive through slippery conditions as well as most FWD cars.
Joes_meat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #14
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Perhaps not...

Think about what the Tiida might have been like if it was badged as a Pulsar..
Old 07-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #15
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Taurus became the 500, 500 is gonig back to being the Taurus due to the history in the nameplate. Not sure what the fuss is?
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 01:50 PM   #16
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

The Tauraus was a huge success in the states that's why it was brought over here to boost sales when the AU wasn't selling, clearly here we hated the Tauraus more than the AU's!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #17
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I read that the ugly Taurus (the one that was imported into here) was designed by an Aussie. I think Robocop's car was an older Taurus and I remember wanting one when I was a kid.

I think also that it was rebadged as several cars, one being a Mercury Sable or Lincoln [something] that had a full-width headlight front.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #18
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
I think also that it was rebadged as several cars, one being a Mercury Sable or Lincoln [something] that had a full-width headlight front.
It was the Mercury Sable. Saw plenty of them over in the US as well.

I should have mentioned in my previous post that the wagon we owned was a 7 seater as well. Fits 5 adults in the cabin nice and comfortably. You could get a couple of midgets (or one very drunk Aussie : ) in the back as well.
And I think that ours was powered by a 2.4L V6 engine. Wasn't that terribly fuel efficient, but that was probably also due to the sensor problems we had, as well as not being able to convert gallons/miles back to kilometres/litres.

Edit: actually, we hired a Mercury Sable as well when we were going down to LA.

Last edited by sgt_doofey; 07-02-2007 at 02:44 PM.
sgt_doofey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #19
XR Rob
2003 BA XR8

Robocop drove a Taurus! Yeah! ;)
XR Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #20
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Chopping and changing there Minds if it keeps going this way will be the end for Ford US
UNLESS..
This does what the equvelant of Nissan Chaning the Tiida name plate back to Pulsar would do (hypothetically)...
The Taurus was quite popular in the states and to this day I dont know Why.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #21
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
I read that the ugly Taurus (the one that was imported into here) was designed by an Aussie. I think Robocop's car was an older Taurus and I remember wanting one when I was a kid.

Yes it was designed by an Australian who worked on the Blackwood project, I'm not sure on his name but I think it was Doherty.

The Taurus was never brought here to boost AU sales as it was imported prior to the AU release and it was not brought to Australia to replace the Falcon. The Taurus was brought here because the Ford division in Japan wanted the model and a deal was struck with FoA to import a handful of models out of the quota that Japan took to lower the costs of the exercise.

I don't see a problem with what FoNA are doing.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 04:29 PM   #22
MYT
Cruizn in my 'lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6TickfordBoy
The Tauraus was a huge success in the states that's why it was brought over here to boost sales when the AU wasn't selling, clearly here we hated the Tauraus more than the AU's!
The Taurus was actually brought to Australia with the intention of replacing the falcon and that was before the AU was even released, in the end it just wasn't what the people of oz wanted so it was sent packing
MYT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #23
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

I have got a Taurus and I don't give a **** what anyone says its just a car, it serves me well and it's a FORD!!!!!!
You Yangs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 08:59 PM   #24
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

There's so much E series wagon in those pics Sgt Doofey posted, it's unreal!

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:09 PM   #25
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute
There's so much E series wagon in those pics Sgt Doofey posted, it's unreal!

Ed
E-series wagons look heaps better!

At least we didn't get the wagon version of the ultra rounded Taurus :
(well, actually this is a Mercury Sable but it's basically the same)

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #26
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could the Taurus be the next post Orion falcon? :dr_Evil: :dr_Evil:
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:29 PM   #27
VQST80
The Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
E-series wagons look heaps better!

At least we didn't get the wagon version of the ultra rounded Taurus :
(well, actually this is a Mercury Sable but it's basically the same)

Know I know where the hyundai lantra wagons got there dna from.. :togo:
VQST80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:32 PM   #28
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Could the Taurus be the next post Orion falcon? :dr_Evil: :dr_Evil:
Ford have considered replacing the Falcon with the Taurus before but decided it wasn't worth it, so I seriously doubt it

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:33 PM   #29
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQST80
Know I know where the hyundai lantra wagons got there dna from.. :togo:
true true. i can see it aswell lol. jeez i hate hyundai. just crap imo

1993 EB2 Gli---->Build Thread
2008 FG XR8 SEDAN 300RWKW N/A

2008 FG XR6 TURBO-UTE>>> SOLD
2002 AU3 XLS UTE>>>SOLD
Sick EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:34 PM   #30
LUXO_8
windsor user

see, thats what happens when you use the sedans doors on a wagon......

IMO painting that C pilalr black would make a massive difference to the looks

anyway, i dont see the fuss...the 500 probably wasnt selling, due to having a new name...
its taurus sized, its new, and its not a bad car at all from what ive read on it.......IMO they were crazy for dropping the taurus name in teh first place
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post