Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-12-2005, 12:04 PM   #1
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Why do people buy Jap/Korean cars?

Hot on the heels of "Why do people buy Holdens?" .. "Why do people buy Jap/Korean cars?". I'm getting tired of listening to people argue Ford/Holden so I thought I'd try to direct the "anger" to where it deserves.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Jap manufacturers are great at building things to high quality and Koreans are great at building things to a cheap price. As a gross generalisation (is there anything better! ) neither of them can build anything with style or presence. They just regurgitate the ideas of others (European/American) .. albeit usually mechanically better (Japanese only!).

To me this '61 Toyopet will ALWAYS typify Japanses cars; shameless copies of some elses junk (in this case some Pommy POS)

In my reality [the warm, comfortable place where I live], this is the equivalent American-based, V8 of the same era:

It might be a a big, agricultural, fuel guzzling tank .. but it's got style .. and 45 years after it's manufacture it's still worth something.

OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry .. should have put a Galaxie in there .. not an Impala!
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:16 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Anything with a Sportivo badge is begginf for a chrous of thousands to die laughing at it too. They don't get style or design too well and have little to no understanding of sports. Excluding the God cars built by Nissan until recently, companies like Honda and Toyota have been sniffing too many 100 RON petrol fumes for too long.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:22 PM   #4
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Because the japanese cars are built right (in most cases) first time round, and because their very reliable. As for presence, disagree there, the whole modern day small/medium car was revolutionised by Japan, same with the 4wds, the Skylines turbo RB was probably the best turbocharged engine ever, likewise the Attesa awd system.

As for Style, where does rice come from?

Australia is Toyota country, style and presense is a personal choice. So what if Toyotas don't appeal to the car enthusists, which make up an immaterial portion of the entire market place anyway. How many years has Toyota been without a hero car? How long has Honda's hero car, the NSX been non existant?

You don't need "performance cars" to sell. All you need is something safe, reliable and well built the first time around. Like it or not, Corrolla and Camry sell.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
As for presence, disagree there, the whole modern day small/medium car was revolutionised by Japan,
For the Nissans I agree - hence my statement above.

As for modern day small/medium cars, Corollas are rubbish, Pulsars ar a joke, Lancers are even worse and the Civic doesn't even rate a mention on the scale of worth wasting reath over. Mazda 3 is about the only half decent Japanese/Asian hatch worth buying (and I'd happily own one) simply because it's based ona a Euro chassis that already had inbuilt chuckability from the C1 platform of the new Focus.

Midsize is another story, however Ford's Mondeo is a very decent drive and owns the competition pretty much everywhere such as NZ and Europe. Mazda 5, Liberty and Accord Euro are all top notch. I mistakely left these mid sizers out, was more referring to hatches that the Japanese and Koreans just don't understand.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:29 PM   #6
gozza

umm who really gives a toss..
why does anybody do anything? is it just me or are these questions stupid...obviously people think what they think and nobody can get into the mind of someone else
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:40 PM   #7
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Australia is Toyota country?.....not quite but I see what you are getting at.

I said it a while ago, Hyundai will be huge. Have you seen the new Santa Fe (SP?). Thats a good looking thing.

If you want to pay out a nation, go for the chinese, there is some dodgey stuff going on over there!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:45 PM   #8
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like Jap cars, hate Korean cars with a passion. Jap cars have HEAPS of aftermarket parts available and there is plenty of decent cars out there. Not talking about the show with no go, I'm talking pure performance.

I seen an R33 Skyline yesterday which was absolutly boosted to hell and there is no doubt it would make short work of MOST (note: I didn't say all) V8s around.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:51 PM   #9
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do people buy cars based on what country they are manufactured in _

Well I sure as hell don't, when I purchase a car I get the car that best suits my needs/wants at that time in my life.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:57 PM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Do people buy cars based on what country they are manufactured in _

Well I sure as hell don't, when I purchase a car I get the car that best suits my needs/wants at that time in my life.
Hell I sure wish I had the money you have, because I sure have the need/want to have the car in your signature lol.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:00 PM   #11
Windsor220
Now Fordless

After driving a few falcons im happy to drive a japanese vehicle as a daily driver now. I can truly appreciate proper build quality and not have niggling problems all the time. My laser might be slow but fuel consumption and reliabilty make up for it. When it comes to performance, turbo jap cars are ideal for the street and could embarrass a lot of the cars on here. Dont get me wrong i still love my V8s and plan on building a EB V8 next year for the strip.

As for korean cars well thats another story.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:00 PM   #12
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
For the Nissans I agree - hence my statement above.

As for modern day small/medium cars, Corollas are rubbish, Pulsars ar a joke, Lancers are even worse and the Civic doesn't even rate a mention on the scale of worth wasting reath over. Mazda 3 is about the only half decent Japanese/Asian hatch worth buying (and I'd happily own one) simply because it's based ona a Euro chassis that already had inbuilt chuckability from the C1 platform of the new Focus.

Midsize is another story, however Ford's Mondeo is a very decent drive and owns the competition pretty much everywhere such as NZ and Europe. Mazda 5, Liberty and Accord Euro are all top notch. I mistakely left these mid sizers out, was more referring to hatches that the Japanese and Koreans just don't understand.
And this is the biggest load of dribble I've read on these forums in long time, there is more to life than Focus you know, you might want to get out more :

Please tell us why

Corollas are rubbish
Pulsars are a joke
Lancers are even worse and the
Civic doesn't even rate a mention on the scale

while your at it tell me why Ford's Mondeo owns the competition pretty much everywhere such as NZ.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:01 PM   #13
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

You're looking at the world through an enthusiasts set of eyes. You need to look at something from the perspective of a person who needs nothing more than a mode of transport and whose selection criteria porbably doesnt go beyond transmission type, air conditioning and colour.

My mother makes a fine example. She has a short drive to work each day and goes to see friends on the weekend. She lives alone and works in a hospital - with no need to carry materials to/from work. She knows very little about cars and pretty much follows the book that came with the car regarding service requirements.

Her choice in vehicle is made in korea. It has never let her down. Sure - the plastic panels on the door trim feel like eggshells. The interior trim is tacky. But it gets her to lunch on a sunday afternoon and she likes the colour. It costs about 50% of a similar sized car which is considered to have "style".

What is an extra 50kw/bunch of options/exterior styling/presence going to add to my mother's motoring experience? Very little.

Is it just me or is this all fairly straightforward?
Old 05-12-2005, 01:06 PM   #14
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura

Is it just me or is this all fairly straightforward?
You have hit the nail on the head....

and IMO the vast majority of the population are like your mother & that is not to say it's a bad thing, we are all just different.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:12 PM   #15
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
And this is the biggest load of dribble I've read on these forums in long time, there is more to life than Focus you know, you might want to get out more :

Please tell us why

Corollas are rubbish
Pulsars are a joke
Lancers are even worse and the
Civic doesn't even rate a mention on the scale

while your at it tell me why Ford's Mondeo owns the competition pretty much everywhere such as NZ.
I agree
And if Corolla is the worlds biggest seller of vehicle they must be doing something right...us enthusiasts make up such a minority of vehicle purchases
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:41 PM   #16
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Australia is Toyota country?.....not quite
Consistant number one sales in total say otherwise!
Old 05-12-2005, 01:42 PM   #17
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Cheap motoring Hyundai $13k to $15k drive away 5 years warranty, even if you drove it for 5 years sold it for $4k or $5k you haven't done to badly for a brand new car, with no ongoing repair bills...
I am lucky i don't have to drive one..... but my wife loves hers, purchased new... Hyundai 2002 5 door hatch, a/c, mags, spoiler, CD, Auto $17,500 drive away...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 05-12-2005 at 01:50 PM.
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #18
LTDHO
The one and only

I wouldn't put Korean and Jap in same basket.

Jap has quality.
Korean is cheap and nasty.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:47 PM   #19
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Korea is where Japan was 25 years ago. They will become very good, and the world needs to watch out. The Excel gave the japanese a massive shock, hence the introduction of the larger small categories of the Jazz, Yaris/Starlet etc.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:59 PM   #20
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Consistant number one sales in total say otherwise!
HAHAHA

Are you a journalist? Only quoting the bits that suit? I knew what you meant, toyota have the right car at the right time at the right price.

People are not buiying Corrola's particularly because they have an undying want.

As for Japanese cars there is not to much you can say against them. And FFS every manufacturer as its issues.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #21
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every manufacturer makes good and crap cars.

Some of the most incredible cars in the world have come from Japan over the last decade. Some of the most sh*t cars have to.

Same here, same everywhere.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:09 PM   #22
Yellow Fire
Cleveland Powered

My family has had cars of all makes over the last 30 years or so. Fords, Holdens & a fair chunk of the Japanese & German brands. So far we've had 2 lemons: one Ford & one Holden.

In my opinion the roles have been reversed from the 60s example you used. The US are making poor quality boring FWD cars (and still losing money) while the Japanese are making interesting cars.
Yellow Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:11 PM   #23
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cuase it has a fully sic turbo mate :voldar02:

Well ok it's the stock turbo but still and my good friends with the flashing lights don't look twice at it, even when I had a foot long crack in the windscreen :
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:32 PM   #24
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

hyundai getz seems to be pretty popular these days....cheap, long warranty...we are buying an echo for the misses, trading the rav4, and the rav hasnt missed a beat in 180kms
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:38 PM   #25
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont mind some Asian cars.

But seriously give me a Chev,Holden,Ford,Dodge,Chrysler,Pontiac etc over one anyday though.

I cant stand ricers that get the jollies from beating a V8 in their little buzz box 4 bangers.

I dont mind them beating V8s its just when they start talking sh*t and saying "OMG I just beat that V8 Falcon/Commodore they suck so much ***".
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:38 PM   #26
Steffo
LPG > You

People buy them because they are cheap and affordable, end of story.

The average buyer doesn't think, oh this car has great dynamics, its got this much power etc. They think... hey, this one's $18,990 driveaway, and this other one if $25,990.... I'll buy the cheaper one. That's my perception of it anyway.

As for Japanese quality....

Let's just say if European (primarily German) cars cost the same as Japanese cars do, people wouldn't be talking about how great Japanese quality is.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:01 PM   #27
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Why are there so many silly thread topics in here !

There could be many reason why someone would choose to buy any particular thing and you want to know one ? Every person see things differently , I would never buy something I dont like ! But im just me !
I think we need a sherrif to stop mindless topics like this !

anyone for a cup of tea ??????????????

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:27 PM   #28
Nappa
Impressive...

what i find is that some people have selective hearing and selective sight, they dont seem to take in what the car critics and authorities say about a cheaper, bad quality car that will crumble to the size of a 51cm TV in an accident. They only see the giant 12,990 no more to pay price tag, they wont fork out the extra cash for a car euro model that has better safety rating and a motor that can make it up hills with a greater then 4 degrees incline. literally i'v sat in a Hyundai with just 2 people that can't make it up a gentle slope, the engine and gearbox are peices of crap, do the same with 5 people in something like the fiesta and it doesnt even slow, nor is worried when you engage the air con.

:eclipsee_
Nappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:47 PM   #29
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its not hard to see why someone would take a Lexus LS400 over a rip off, poorly built, unreliable Mercedes S Class clone.

Give it 10 years and Hyundai will be a major car maker, probably owning one of the big 3. That will be a sad day.

What I want to know is why people/ricers buy Civic as 'performance' cars? Sure the VTEC ones go alright but for the same price there is much better bang for buck. Lets not forget who the Civics target audience and its intended purpose is
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:18 PM   #30
nugget378
Weezland

For an every day car i couldnt buy anything but a hilux,bought mine new 8 years ago, I have put 1 clutch in it brake pads 3 or 4 times,and ive gone 60-70,000km with out an oil change,its been 3 feet in the air on the farm when chasing pigs and into countless ditches. Even after all that punishment its never skipped a beat,starts first kick every morning and when i upgrade next year it will be another hilux they are just too well made,sure a falcon ute looks a million bucks compared to it but the hilux really is unbreakeable,its the only jap car i'd own though
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote