Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 12-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
whitetdci

Default HID bulbs

Has anyone replaced the halogen globes with HID globes. Would like to do 55w highs but am finding it difficult to find any canbus friendly ones. Anyone have any experience doing this and I would be interested in mounting points for the ballasts too. I have retro fitted some canbus ones to another car I have and they are an incredible difference from OEM.

whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: HID bulbs

Whitetdci, on every forum some one talks about retro-fitting HID's. I am all for doing mods to cars but please do a search and gain some more insight before you proceed for all road users sake. Things to consider apart from the obvious legalities, ADR's etc. Projector Headlight Housing, Auto Levelling Headlights (sensor front and rear) and Headlight Washers.

If you do proceed, keep us up to date with the outcome, position of Ballasts etc. Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to flame you down.

But I must say there is nothing worse than driving at night with some "aftermarket" HID's in yor rear view mirror, or blinding you in on coming traffic.

This could start another post war, I hope it doesn't...Maybe consider some Philips or Osram replacement bulbs.
Old 13-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
whitetdci

As I said I have done this before on another car and been a member of that forum for years I knew my first port of call was to search. I couldn't find anything from anyone who has actually fitted them. I would strongly counsel people NOT to fit them in the low beam for the reasons you have mentioned. I would just go for something akin to the Nightbreakers or similar in 6000k for the low beams. No I don't take what you say as flaming as it is good info for someone who to all intents and purposes appears new to the forum (as you are too ) so posts don't necessarily equate to experience or for that matter, knowledge.
I have the 55w HID high/ Halogen low in my other car and it works well and doesn't attract undesirable attention.
Will keep you posted when and if I get this done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126
Whitetdci, on every forum some one talks about retro-fitting HID's. I am all for doing mods to cars but please do a search and gain some more insight before you proceed for all road users sake. Things to consider apart from the obvious legalities, ADR's etc. Projector Headlight Housing, Auto Levelling Headlights (sensor front and rear) and Headlight Washers.

If you do proceed, keep us up to date with the outcome, position of Ballasts etc. Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to flame you down.

But I must say there is nothing worse than driving at night with some "aftermarket" HID's in yor rear view mirror, or blinding you in on coming traffic.

This could start another post war, I hope it doesn't...Maybe consider some Philips or Osram replacement bulbs.
Old 13-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
Mickmelb

You could try ddmtuning.com a lot of bike guys swear by their stuff I'm about to order it's around $110 a set (2 lights) 6000k 55 watt for the bike but they are top quality lifetime warranty not sure about their canbus compliant stuff though.
Mickmelb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
whitetdci

Yeah the canbus is a biggie. I put some LED stop/tail lights in another vehicle I own with canbus and everytime I put my foot on the brake the front parkers would come on. It is imperative that you get canbus compliant equipment. I will give them a call and see. many thanks. still interested if anyone has actually fitted any
Old 25-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Philips make a canbus friendly unit.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
whitetdci

OK I have bought some H1 HIDs for the high beam. 55w 6000k same as I have fitted to my other beast. Will have to see how they go with the canbus on the mondy. They claim to be error free canbus friendly. Stay tuned
Old 18-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
whitetdci

Righto just an update. The HID kit arrived today and unfortunately there is a major problem with the fitment. The clamping arrangement on the mondy seems to be mutually exclusive to halogen bulbs. Unless there is another way to fix the hid globes in then they are a no go. May have to just upgrade the halogen globes. bit of a bummer that but that is life.
Old 18-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetdci
Righto just an update. The HID kit arrived today and unfortunately there is a major problem with the fitment. The clamping arrangement on the mondy seems to be mutually exclusive to halogen bulbs. Unless there is another way to fix the hid globes in then they are a no go. May have to just upgrade the halogen globes. bit of a bummer that but that is life.
Shame about that! Not sure if there is another way to do this...
Old 18-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
whitetdci

There is always another way. It just may be a PITA to do. I was thinking of another option but again mounting anything on the front end of these incredibly plastic critter will be difficult to say the least. I am thinking of these if I can get a mount for it.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-GREAT...item4aba49aa6e
Old 19-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #11
whitetdci

Hold the phone. I may have found a solution.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=280776100510
awaiting a response from the seller. I may buy a few sets of these.
Old 19-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
whitetdci

Just bought these babies from the US. Was cheaper than China and I don't like buying from China if I can at all avoid it. Bad service experience and they DGAS about you. People in the states are more helpful in general and are much more customer oriented IMHO. Here is the link. Again stay tuned. I will update with pics if I can.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230837461...84.m1423.l2649
Old 05-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
whitetdci

OK I have finally found the time to fit the HIDs. First impressions though are not encouraging. I have fitted 55w high beam HIDs on our other car and the difference was impressive to say the least. I have worked out the problem with the globe clamps and where to mount the ballast and it is all neat. will take some pics and update later
Old 05-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds great, keep us up to date.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
whitetdci

Well I will pull the headlights off again and see if I can rotate the globes 180 degrees. Failing that these are absolute rubbish and not recommended. Shame really as when I put them on my other car they really made a huge difference. These ones seem to light up the ground closer to the car than the low beams!! Any suggestions anybody?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #16
whitetdci

Tried that. as suspected you can only have it in one way. Unfortunately it seems that the focus point on the HID globes is different to that of the halogen giving it a much more dispersed effect which is exactly the opposite to what you want in your high beams and totally useless. Another fruitless experiment. I will be going with the Philips X-treme H1 unless someone can suggest something better. Have tried the Osram Nightbreakers as well.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #17
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just get halogen globes for halogen housings.
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #18
whitetdci

Yes that is what I am doing now, but as previously stated I have another car which I put the HID in and I can tell you unequivocally that you will not get a halogen anywhere near the high beam out put on this. I guess it comes down to the reflector and placement of globe.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #19
nevetsg

That sux man. I live in the city so have no need for High beams but growing up in the country I know how beneficial they are. All I can say is that you now have 2 spare globes for your other car...
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #20
whitetdci

unlucky there too as they are h7 :(
Old 28-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #21
fpv_gt
Jezza

well what are most guys using other than HIDS

im looking at some brighter globes

Jeremy Clarkson:

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary….That's what gets you."
fpv_gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

had hid`s in my falcon low and high beams, ended up going back to narva + globes, much less trouble and a decent light out put.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #23
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Try Phillips Crystal Vision Xenon 4300K temp range replacements - mine are H4 55/60w in my 40yr old car, and a vast improvement over ordinary halogens. Did a similar transplant on our 2003 Outback about 5yrs ago - original lights were woeful (like quartz iodide 40w-ers) and after bulb-only change suddenly you can see where you are going.
Same wattage so no electrical issues, picked them up off ebay at a fraction of local prices, even after postage.
Direct replacement and much whiter light.
Don't be tempted to go for 5000K or 6000K temp range. 4300K is natural daylight range. The higher the temp = the bluer the light, and skippy looks dull grey at night. Just swapped back from 6000K to 4300K on my 40yr old classic - much better.

Don't know about the HID path into H4 shells. You can pick up complete kits for $200+ 'tho....just check ebay....
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #24
fpv_gt
Jezza

Cool.... im interested in great light for dusk and dawn driving. With winter around the corner too

Jeremy Clarkson:

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary….That's what gets you."
fpv_gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post