Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Aftermarket double din head unit...

I'm going to be getting a new Head Unit soon, replacing the standard au stereo FINALLY. The unit i'm going to get is definitely going to be double din.

Now my question isn't can it fit, it's actually how can I integrate it more with the AU dash? As everyone knows when you replace the factory stereo on an AU with an aftermarket one it sticks out quick a bit, twice as bad for double din. So i'm wondering has anybody done anything to stop the head unit sticking out like dogs balls?

I've noticed the gap in the AU is slightly bigger than double din, so has anybody made anything up to fill in the small gap? There might be nothing I can do, but if anyone has any ideas please post them here!

Cheers.

Old 27-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Have a look at Umineko's effort in here:-

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=97666
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
munchkin323
AU XR6

I have a double din head unit in my AU, the bottom of the unit sits flush with the upper centre console and the top sits receased slightly. I made up small U shaped brackets that fitted to the head unit frame. I then fitted the other side of the bracket to the car via the plastic on the inside of the hole that the head unit fits into. This allows me to re-adjust the angle of the head unit as needed. Its been in there for a few months now and no dramas with it moving around.
munchkin323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

Yeah mate i am having the same thoughts at the moment. I am thinking of cutting into the metal plating behind the stereo to make enough room for the stereo to sit flush at the bottom. Just gotta be careful not to cut any wiring though! I had started a thread about 8 weeks ago about this so i will try to find it.
greenguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11272850
greenguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post