Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
prasac
Banned

Default GOODBYE Car Modifications.

it may have been mentioned here before but i would like to put it up again, there is a meeting for Car Enthusiasts @ Eastern Creek Raceway on Sunday 26th February 2012. however, its not like your usual car enthusiasts meeting this is a meeting to discuss the new modification laws with ministers/politicians etc. if you have or intend to sometime in the future modify your vehicle, it would be great if you can attend. the more people that can get out there, the better.

once again it's on at Eastern Creek Raceway, Sunday 26th February. maybe one of the mods etc can put this up somewhere as a sticky as it's a serious event and this will affect 100's if not 1000's of forum members.

To help deal with these new laws, Street Machine is working with the Australian Confederation of Motor Clubs to host the Motor Enthusiast Conference at Eastern Creek Raceway, 26 February.

Wanna help? Read the information below, log onto www.confederationofmotorclubs.org.au and get along with the Conference with your street car.

Press Release:

Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) has announced a new scheme which aims to streamline the assessment of modified vehicles.

“The new Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme (VSCCS) comes into effect from today and is good news for RMS customers as it will provide them with certainty their modified vehicle is safe,” Director Regulatory Services Peter Wells said.

“The new scheme does not change the existing vehicle standards but improves the way vehicle modifications are checked and certified,” he said.

“Every modified vehicle owner has an obligation to ensure their vehicle complies in order to protect themselves, their passengers and other road users.”

“The VSCCS will replace the current Engineering Certification Scheme. The old scheme is outdated and paper based, leaving it open to fraudulent certifications and missing records,” he said.

Several prosecutions have taken place involving fraudulent certifications. Under the old scheme, some examiners also did not have the appropriate insurances in place, putting customers and the public at risk.

“Up to 30 per cent of examiners previously were uninsured or under insured. The VCSSC will end this problem,” Mr Wells said.

“The new scheme will improve consumer protection, vehicle safety and provide greater certainty for all parties.”

Under the VSCCS RMS will license qualified and skilled people to inspect modified vehicles. If a modified vehicle complies, the VSCCS certifier will provide a certificate which confirms the modifications meet standards.

“It will mean customers can be assured their vehicle is being certified by a person who has the appropriate qualifications, skills and experience to do the job, is backed by professional indemnity and public liability insurances and retains accurate records of the certified vehicle.

“Anyone wanting to become a licensed certifier will be subject to background checks by RMS and regular auditing to ensure high standards of professional service and to minimise fraud.”

The VSCCS will also save time for the customer and provide greater convenience.

“For example, under the VSCCS certifiers will send the results of their inspection direct to RMS. This means customers no longer need to visit a motor registry to present their certificate or have their vehicle inspected by an authorised inspection station, unless it is unregistered,” Mr Wells said.

“The important thing to note is the rules around modifications are not changing. Consumers will simply have better protection and greater clarity around modification guidelines.

“RMS will ensure there is clear information available to vehicle operators about the steps they need to take to have their vehicle certified and when they need to have it inspected.

“RMS is working to publish the list of modifications requiring certification and will soon be calling for comment to help finalise a draft list of important modifications which should be subject to mandatory inspection,” he said.

NSW Minister for Roads and Ports Duncan Gay has accepted an invitation from the Australian Confederation of Motor Clubs to attend the inaugural Motor Enthusiast Conference at the Eastern Creek International Raceway on Sunday 26 February 2012.

The Minister is keen to hear how the state government and its agencies can better work with and support motor enthusiasts in NSW in the future.

prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: GOODBYE Car Modifications.

More likely, the government got sick of all the one on one modification applications and engineering reports to review.
This isn't coming in because the government are a charitable lot, they want to cut down their paperwork and all kudos
should go to people using the existing system to force a change..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bring back the days of engineering a 6 point cage!!!

I think that all these restrictions actually affect the aftermarket parts manufacturers and economy some what... If we had the same rules like the USA thing would be a lot better...
Old 26-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

“Every modified vehicle owner has an obligation to ensure their vehicle complies in order to protect themselves, their passengers and other road users.”

Sounds pretty fair to me. I don't want to be run into by someone with any car and then find out that because of illegal or unapproved mods his insurance isn't going to cover him or the damage he's done...

Just sounds like they're making sure the mods that ar done are legal, and that the people doing the mods or certifiying the mods ar up front and approved as well...which is kind of what I would assume you would hope was happening anyway when getting stuff "approved"...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the face of it it doesn't sound unreasonable. It's in no-ones interest to have unsafe modified vehicles on the road least of all the person driving them. Am I missing something?
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage
On the face of it it doesn't sound unreasonable. It's in no-ones interest to have unsafe modified vehicles on the road least of all the person driving them. Am I missing something?
...apparently you and me both...
Old 26-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From what I have heard it is what they say but then there going to be changing the laws on weight/power and so on....
Old 26-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

The press release from Roads and Maritime services is essentially thus.

The important thing to note is the rules around modifications are not changing. Consumers will simply have better protection and greater clarity around modification guidelines.

“RMS will ensure there is clear information available to vehicle operators about the steps they need to take to have their vehicle certified and when they need to have it inspected.

RMS is working to publish the list of modifications requiring certification and will soon be calling for comment to help finalise a draft list of important modifications which should be subject to mandatory inspection,”

So, NSW RMS are saying nothing is changing in regards to modifications, but are working on a draft list of modifications requiring certification. How does that work?

Perfect example of bureaucracy. We only have to look at the ridiculous list (pages and pages) of vehicles outlawed for P plate drivers. Many of which are Euro small engine turbo 5 star rated much safer than older vehicles which are allowed. A power/torque to weight limit would've sufficed.

Who is to say that the certification process for engineering will not be itself made so cumbersome to deliberately force people out of the industry. If it gets rid of the dodgies terrific.

I also do agree with going to a paperless system.

I am sceptical on the whole thing. My take is that bureaucracy gets is so wrong so often. "We are from the government and we are here to help!"

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
Blue Blooded

I actually met the Minister yesterday and brought this up, he seems like a decent bloke, he was telling me about his stack of Just Cars magazines his wife keeps hasseling about. I think he was a bit of an enthusiast in his day so fingers croosed.

FG GT Black 6spM
XY Falcon Project (on the backburner for the moment)
BFII XR6 Turbo 6spA
BA XR6 5spM
AUII XR8 5spM
BMW 318is 5spM
XC Falcon 250
XD Falcon 250 Xflow
76 Mitsubishi Galant Wagon (this car would not die, believe me I tried)
TE Cortina 200ci Xflow
XY Falcon 378 Clevo Stroker 4sp Top Loader
Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
prasac
Banned

from what i have heard, how true and correct it is im not sure. you want to change the brakes in your car. you need to pay to get the car independently tested and the car must stop within a few % every pass. then say your mate wants an exact set in his car, and you both have the exact same model. he has to go out pay to have the same thing done. every modification is to be tested by individual case.
Old 26-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #11
Chopped
as in chopped

.....Cynical me sees a money grab.....
(I suppose it depends on how much they enforce it)
Old 27-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #12
bluovl

Thanks Prasac for posting this event.
The future appears bleak for anybody wanting to modify their vehicle.
The authorities in the last 12 months are enforcing the restrictions on what vehicles can be imported and most must be virtually stock. Pathetic really compared to what is allowed to driven modified in the U.S., U.K., Europe and N.Z.
Just look at the story a few weeks ago about the guy in S.A that cannot register his car l.h.d. because it had blue stripes and not plain white like it came from the factory, I mean really??
To just accept what laws are imposed on us is also pathetic.
Thanks go to the organisers of this event and people like Prasac for bringing it up in a forum like this.
There is a good read in this months Street Machine of the effect these proposals are already having on some car builders.
Unfortunatly many here wont care but to those who may be affected down the track get to this event and voice your concern.
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
bluovl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #13
prasac
Banned

there will be a big turnout. car enthusiasts get treated like criminals or called hoons, yet 99% of them drive sensibly. things will only get worse from here and policed even more to the fact where most people will be too scared to modify there own car.
Old 27-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
there will be a big turnout. car enthusiasts get treated like criminals or called hoons, yet 99% of them drive sensibly. things will only get worse from here and policed even more to the fact where most people will be too scared to modify there own car.
What will ruin it, is if people vent their anger after the meeting as they are leaving.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
What will ruin it, is if people vent their anger after the meeting as they are leaving.
yeah, that is always a worry. you'd expect there to be a couple, everyone else will be on there best behaviour.
Old 27-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #16
MAD
Petro-sexual

What statistics are they using to show the need for these proposed changes?
Old 27-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is there anyway anyone can get the rules and regulations of engineering a car in USA to compare???
Old 27-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #18
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Here is a few articles by one of the existing signatories. I'm not sure if things have changed though since it was written

http://you-have-to-be-kidding.blogspot.com/
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #19
bluovl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyyyy
Is there anyway anyone can get the rules and regulations of engineering a car in USA to compare???
If you google SEMA Action Network (SAN) there is a link to what is called the 50 state Tag & Title guide (or something along those lines).
As the name suggest it has links to state by state guidelines for registration.
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
bluovl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #20
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyyyy
no list of rules, but, this is what is legal in the US and UK http://www.build-threads.com/build-t...hall-vx490-fd/
Old 27-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #21
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

car enthusiast`s are an easy target, the law makers (control freaks) have been flooding the media for years linking car enthusiast`s to murderous out of control hoons, someone from over sea`s described Australians as "car whipped", it`s a fairly apt description i reckon.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #22
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Take a look around the average city street or met up of modified cars...
Old 27-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #23
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Take a look around the average city street or met up of modified cars...
I don't mean the number of modified cars around, I mean the reasons for bringing in tougher regulations. Eg: crashs, catastrophic failures, pollution etc.
Old 27-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #24
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
I don't mean the number of modified cars around, I mean the reasons for bringing in tougher regulations. Eg: crashs, catastrophic failures, pollution etc.
there is none. if there was then they should ban Lambo's, Ferrari's, Porsches and VL Commodores

the majority of people i know try to get the cars as close to legal as they can. a mate spent well over $10k getting his 4.6L Turbo Modular powered GT40 engineered and passing all EPA tests.

Last edited by prasac; 27-01-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 27-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #25
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

On the flip side this could save me alot of money. But what will i spend it on instead won't be beer as the TV ads now say not to let a mate walk home drunk lol.

Also means I would lose 1 of my jobs so the money it saves might offset the lose of income.

I didnt mind the smoking ban but now its getting personal. Pookies, Walking home drunk we all know where that is leading and now improving my car is on the list WTF what next!

Most of us make the effort to take the cars to the track and let it rip and drive in a safe fashion on the road. My car would have better brakes and tyres etc then stock standard Taxi.
Giant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #26
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

Damn aftermarket LPG whoops its modded you need to have it inspected etc Sir.
Giant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #27
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
from what i have heard, how true and correct it is im not sure. you want to change the brakes in your car. you need to pay to get the car independently tested and the car must stop within a few % every pass. then say your mate wants an exact set in his car, and you both have the exact same model. he has to go out pay to have the same thing done. every modification is to be tested by individual case.
which is fair enough since his car won't be identical, and he might not have done it by the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
12% of voters think modified car = hoon.
Old 27-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #28
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
12% of voters think modified car = hoon.
what do the other 88% think?
Old 27-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #29
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
.....Cynical me sees a money grab.....
(I suppose it depends on how much they enforce it)
I'd have to agree with you Chopped, anything involving the Government or it's departments (regardless of whether it's intention is for the good of safety etc....) is going to cost someone more money and I'll bet it wont be coming from any politicians pocket :(
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #30
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Prasac I'm just trying to understand the issue. The RMS rules aren't changing just the system used to approve vehicle modifications. My quick reading of this thread is the RMS are trying to standardize the approval process which may not be a bad thing. You say in one of your posts you're not sure what the changes will mean but the title of the thread is goodbye to car modifications. Is this really the case? It would appear as the RMS are trying to get rid of situations where an engineer is not qualified or insured sufficiently to approve particular modifications and is moving to approved engineers/specialists which may also not be a bad thing. After all we all want safe vehicles on the road and if this change gets rid of dodgy approvals or unsafe vehicles then this would be a good thing. What's to stop car clubs getting in on the approval process and being a part of approving modifications.

Clinton
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post