Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 17-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
nutter_x
Nange Road Warrior

Default Exhaust Question

Hi everyone,

How many people with the I6 are running 2.5" exhaust without the rearmost muffler that sits next to the spare tyre well on a sedan? Due to annoying rattles that aren't from the dash I am considering cutting it out. Naturally this has nothing to do with the sound benefits that may be reaped. :evil3:

Opinions?

Old 17-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
CliffM
XR6 Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter_x
Hi everyone,

How many people with the I6 are running 2.5" exhaust without the rearmost muffler that sits next to the spare tyre well on a sedan? Due to annoying rattles that aren't from the dash I am considering cutting it out. Naturally this has nothing to do with the sound benefits that may be reaped. :evil3:

Opinions?
It will resonate, and it is illegal... but if you don't need to get regular rego checks then I suppose it doesn't matter....

You could just get it refitted properly....:evil_laug
Old 17-04-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You've lost me... What's illegal? not having a rear muffler?
Old 17-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

yeap, NOISE pollution
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 17-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he is saying without it, it will be too loud
Old 17-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
he is saying without it, it will be too loud
That's different to being illegal not to have a rear muffler.

I have no rear muffler, and it sounds good. I doubt it's illegally loud, but I consider it a safety feature so children don't step out in front of my car.
Old 17-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #7
5L
[ 5L ]

on all of my cars ive always only had one muffler, no problems from the cops here. it depends how you drive them.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 17-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Disagree that removing the rear resonator would make it illegal. Was done on my parents old stock as a rock AU2 Fairmont, they certainly weren't revheads with that car and it made bugger all difference in sound (rest of the system was stock) - maybe a tiny bit louder but thats it.
Old 17-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

i've actually got a new 2.5 sports system goin on my car tomorrow, chopped just behind the diff, with a dumper ... i myself was considering removing the rear muffler and just running a straight through pipe. But a mate told me that it would just sound terrible, like a boat??
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 17-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
i've actually got a new 2.5 sports system goin on my car tomorrow, chopped just behind the diff, with a dumper ... i myself was considering removing the rear muffler and just running a straight through pipe. But a mate told me that it would just sound terrible, like a boat??
Think youll find it will sound like a boat if you dump it at the diff, not a fan personally!

If i owned a 6 Id put what my old EF had on it - 2.5 mild steel with 2 mufflers and rear resonator, was a HM system and was plenty loud enough, nice and deep too.
Old 17-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #11
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Different exhausts sound different. Maybe your mate heard one that sounds like a boat, but I assure you there's plenty out there that sound great with straight-through pipes.
Old 17-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #12
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
That's different to being illegal not to have a rear muffler.

I have no rear muffler, and it sounds good. I doubt it's illegally loud, but I consider it a safety feature so children don't step out in front of my car.
in saying too loud, i meant over the legal db level, besides that, i wasn't saying it from my point of view, just clearing up what was meant by the other post
Old 21-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
T-Pak Addict
Jim

have seen alot of EA-AU not running the rear rsonator (wifes car included).
you could probably cut out the small front resonator and the rear and still be under legal DB's on a stock system. Dont know how it would sound tho...... probably crap but a commodore driver would think its cool LOL

my 2.5" sports runs 1 large muffler and a small hotdog where the rear resonator goes
sounds brilliant

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
Old 21-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #14
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

I run my 2 1/2 Mercury with resonator and it sounds damn awesome has a nice deep burble. Depends on what your after sound wise I guess, personally I think the louder you want it the more police/main roads attention you want.
Old 21-04-2008, 07:20 PM   #15
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

i got mine fitted, and i couldn't be happier, i gave it a couple of hundred kays too warm in and now she sounds sweet, Loud and crackles when i slow down! im in luv : :
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 21-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #16
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

No doubt there are quite a few systems that don't have it, but I wouldn't do it. I prefer a pretty effective system that gets the car moving a little nicer but doing the job quietly. But that's just me.
Old 22-04-2008, 01:43 AM   #17
T-Pak Addict
Jim

cant wait to hear yours Nathan....... didnt sound loud on the Utube thing you did, will have to wait and see...... My misses knows when I get home now.... cant sneek in :(

Old 22-04-2008, 02:18 AM   #18
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

actually with the illegal thing, its a funny thing but in vic, if you mod a car that makes it unroadworthy then you can get fined for modifying it, so therefore if you remove your rear muffler and it's then over the db limit, then i suppose it does make it illegal then. Says me with a 3inch straght thru. lol
Old 22-04-2008, 07:38 AM   #19
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffM
It will resonate, and it is illegal... but if you don't need to get regular rego checks then I suppose it doesn't matter....

You could just get it refitted properly....:evil_laug
get your facts right,its not illegal if they sell that section of pipe with out the resonator off the shelf which they do.it has its own part number.

i had it fitted to the ea because the rear resonator kept on rusting,had the front resonator removed two years ago,passes pink slip no worries and is 100% legal

Last edited by naughtyfalcon; 22-04-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 22-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #20
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

If it ends up sounding louder than Stav's wagon, then you'll have issues. :P
Old 22-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #21
JG's33's
Foxy, violet & now black

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtyfalcon
get your facts right,its not illegal if they sell that section of pipe with out the resonator off the shelf which they do.it has its own part number.

i had it fitted to the ea because the rear resonator kept on rusting,had the front resonator removed two years ago,passes pink slip no worries and is 100% legal
I don't know what bush lawyer naughtyfalcon has been listening to but in NSW it is an offence to fit any less mufflers than originally fitted or modify the exhaust in any way. Pretty much if it came out with two mufflers and a cat it must have two mufflers and a cat.Have a look at this site, http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/no...hiclenoise.htm

Have a look at table 1. Clause 18 seems pretty self explanatory. Most of us would be guilty of this offence regardless of decibel level or engineers reports.
Old 22-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #22
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtyfalcon

Defective mufflers

Vehicle owners and operators should ensure that their vehicles are not fitted with defective mufflers (referred to as 'noise control equipment' in Clause 18 of the Regulation). Defective noise control equipment is defined as:

* equipment that allows the emission of more noise than the original noise control equipment fitted by the vehicle manufacturer, or
* equipment that has been modified in a way that makes it less effective than it would have been without the modification, or
* equipment that allows gas to escape from a place other than the intended exhaust outlet, or
* if the equipment concerned comprises a system of mufflers – the system contains fewer mufflers – than the original system fitted by the manufacturer.

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
Old 22-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #23
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Well I originally had 3 mufflers and now I have one muffler (the centre) on an aftermarket redback system. It sounds gold a lot of people it sounds like a V8 though it doesn't quite have enough "burble".

Does having an illegal exhaust affect your insurance?
Old 22-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #24
JG's33's
Foxy, violet & now black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Well I originally had 3 mufflers and now I have one muffler (the centre) on an aftermarket redback system. It sounds gold a lot of people it sounds like a V8 though it doesn't quite have enough "burble".

Does having an illegal exhaust affect your insurance?
If push came to shove it may. I'd hate to have a $25000 claim riding on it and they knock it back because you haven't declared a modification. Having said that though you would have to be hard done by I'd think. Best to check with your insurance company.
Old 22-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #25
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it was illegal to remove the rear resonator why do they make an after market pipe for that specific reason,i have had it on the ea for near on 3 years and never had any problems with rego.

the cat and the main muffler are more than sufficient to do the job.

why make mountains out of mole hills when there is no point.
Old 22-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #26
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Falcon 99
cant wait to hear yours Nathan....... didnt sound loud on the Utube thing you did, will have to wait and see...... My misses knows when I get home now.... cant sneek in :(
lolz i'll have her out Saturday night for abit!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 22-04-2008, 11:51 PM   #27
T-Pak Addict
Jim

gee wonder if all these exhaust shops are selling illegal stuff, 1 muffler,2 mufflers or 3

falcon has standard 3 mufflers (I6) there must be alot of illegal cars around.....

Thank God its just DB level in SA then

Old 23-04-2008, 12:57 AM   #28
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

The resonator less rear pipe was made for the V8 versions which didn't have to have the rear resonator to be under the legal db limit. The one with resonator was for the 6 cylinders because the 6 is borderline on being over.
Old 23-04-2008, 01:19 AM   #29
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
The resonator less rear pipe was made for the V8 versions which didn't have to have the rear resonator to be under the legal db limit. The one with resonator was for the 6 cylinders because the 6 is borderline on being over.
youre kidding right????? borderline my butt........

used to plant my foot and heard everything else but the exhaust

Old 23-04-2008, 01:45 AM   #30
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well maybe you should look at making the rest of your car quieter then.

The legal limit is 90db measured at 1metre directly behind on 45 degree angle, and it has to be under from idle to 50% of your tacho reading. Not all AU 6's are the same, some are louder than others, just depends on the individual car. Some AU's have rocker gear that won't pass.
Closed Thread