Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Default ACCC takes action against Europcar franchisee

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index...romItemId/2332

Quote:
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has instituted proceedings against BAJV Pty Ltd, trading as Europcar in Tasmania, alleging misleading and deceptive conduct and unconscionable conduct in relation to hire vehicle damage charges.
The ACCC alleges that BAJV overcharged customers for damage sustained to its hire vehicles and subsequently did not refund customers the overcharged amounts.
The ACCC also alleges that BAJV managing director, Brendon Ayers, and fleet controller, Teressa Carr, were involved in the alleged conduct of BAJV concerning overcharging on hire vehicle damage.
The ACCC is seeking declarations that BAJV and senior managers Mr Ayers and Ms Carr contravened the Trade Practices Act 1974 and the Australian Consumer Law, and is seeking:
  • injunctions
  • pecuniary penalties
  • corrective notices
  • an order that BAJV engage an independent auditor to review its customer files to identify overcharged customers
  • an order that BAJV notify overcharged customers identified by an independent auditor
  • orders that BAJV and Mr Ayers compensate overcharged customers identified by an independent auditor
  • costs, and
  • an order that BAJV establish and maintain a trade practices compliance program.
A directions hearing has been scheduled before Justice Marshall at 10am on Friday 16 December 2011 in the Federal Court in Hobart.
Wasnt there a Today Tonight scare about this aprox a year ago?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Europcar Punished by ACCC

This is a bit misleading. Europcar is a franchise and it is just one private company that is being investigated.

I have changed the title to suit.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Default Re: ACCC takes action against Europcar franchisee

fair call

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 20-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
80rs

It isnt the one europcar franchise that is doing it. I rented a ute from my local europcar and paid the amount of the rental in full upon picking it up. Over the period of 8 days i had rented it i had 3 different utes cos the first 2 werent safe for the road. I had to extend the rental for an extra day and told them to take the money from my credit card. I take the ute back the following day to find they have taken $178 from my account instead of $59. Have a chat to the bloke and he says i will look into it. Two days later im at my parents and i find out that they rang them when my credit card wouldnt give anymore and they took another $279 from their account. I go in and see the europcar local branch and get a refund of $178. Im pretty ****ed of coarse so rang there head office who look into it. Over the next week the local franchise withdraws another $278 and $240. Head office finally gets back to me and blames it on a computer problem but the credit card was never enterted into the computer it was always manually entered into the eftpos and they took copies of the credit card

Be aware and check card statements after renting anything
80rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rented a car with Budget in Melbourne a few yrs ago....
Drove around for 3 days until i had a good look at the hyundai Lantra i was driving..... front tyres nearly bald (barely legal), NEW rear tyres!, and rego sticker expired 4MONTHS!!! ARGH!!!!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Rented a car with Budget in Melbourne a few yrs ago....
Drove around for 3 days until i had a good look at the hyundai Lantra i was driving..... front tyres nearly bald (barely legal), NEW rear tyres!, and rego sticker expired 4MONTHS!!! ARGH!!!!
Yeah, I rented a car in darwin with an expired rego sticker - they said cause they move from outlet to outlet, the car has usually moved to another location buy the time the sticker gets there... They assured me there wouldnt be any issues with the plod....

Old 21-11-2011, 12:18 AM   #7
bigsta
Making superman jealous

I have always had a good experience with is bayswater new corrolla $20-25 a day and no birds as they say

Found enterprise rentals in the states pretty good and a discount rental place next to the airport in cairns was great.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
BHDOGS
Banned

cant u pay cash instead of using a credit card for car rentals?
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
cant u pay cash instead of using a credit card for car rentals?
Yes of course.......

You will bring the car back won't you........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote