Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-03-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
MKIITurbo

Default Ford Service - Who Uses It?

I was just wondering how many of us actually take their car to Ford to service. Mine is currently in warranty and i do take it at the recommended intervals. Does anyone do their own oil changes/repairs etc whilst their car is in warranty or do you let Ford do the work. I will be doing my own repairs etc once the car is out of warranty. Just after some opinions..

MKIITurbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine goes to Ford for services, but I change the oil myself every 5000kays in between services tho.
rayner22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
Stampy

My Focus in still underWarranty so it still goes to FORD but as such it's had it 's last service there (not due to bad service ) 30,000klm service cost $169.00 thats not bad b/c I was quoted $205
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 04:58 PM   #4
ltd
Force Fed Fords

All of mine go to Jubilee Ford in Five Dock for service. Even the non ford vehicles. It's just much easier for me to send them there especially when I get absolutely top notch service. Have only once had a complaint, have never had to take anything back, and have gotten to know the guys there pretty well.

The trick to getting the Ford guys to do their best is to be understanding when things go wrong, and not get angry. If they get it wrong tell them, but be nice and understanding about it. They'll remember you for that and will go the extra mile to accomodate you in the future. Also, don't expect the service to cost nothing, as things like brakes, rotors, tyres, fluids etc all wear out eventually.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 05:03 PM   #5
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Mine is under warranty until October, but before I bought it, was serviced by a mobile mechanic.
Not being sure of the quality of the work, we took it to Dale Ford for it's last service.
It's also had some interior warranty work done there, and I haven't had a problem with them at all.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
HLC
Audi S3

my car/s always go to Brad Garlicks at Top Ryde. all under warranty/extended warranty. so yeah.
Old 22-03-2006, 05:21 PM   #7
rapidxr6
AS IT SAYS.....

I have been going to the same ford dealership for over 8 years now. My Xr6 will always go to ford for its services, so did the last car. The 15,000km service was $179 there was also a rim centre in that. The main reason i go's to ford, I always get given a 'free' loan car for the duration of service :Up_to_som even better when the service department boss throws me the keys to his own car.!. What can i say.... VRRROOOooooooom!!
Anyhow...theres bugga all decent mechanics around here that i'd trust, not that ford themselves can be all that trusting at times.
rapidxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
bprint xr8
more posting less lurking

Yes I got mine done at the local dealership, does help when your good mates with the service manager and can ring him direct to organise stuff.
Old 22-03-2006, 05:55 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

yeah cos the Territory is still under warranty .. and I get the regular services there.
The ute on the other hand gets taken to Crescent Motorsport in Liverpool ... I know the work gets done properly there .. as I see it get done ... and Joe also lets me come into the workshop and work on it as well (learning as I go).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 07:27 PM   #10
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidxr6
I have been going to the same ford dealership for over 8 years now. My Xr6 will always go to ford for its services, so did the last car. The 15,000km service was $179 there was also a rim centre in that. The main reason i go's to ford, I always get given a 'free' loan car for the duration of service :Up_to_som even better when the service department boss throws me the keys to his own car.!. What can i say.... VRRROOOooooooom!!
Anyhow...theres bugga all decent mechanics around here that i'd trust, not that ford themselves can be all that trusting at times.
What dealer do you take it to?
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 08:40 PM   #11
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

...knox ford. Only cos its handy, they do the job, but they are expensive. Do like the follow up after the service. Always take the newer fords to the dealers.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 08:46 PM   #12
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I stopped having any of our fords serviced at the dealership, not very impressed with the workmanship and the attitude of some of the staff.... But I must say that this is only at my local dealer, ive been to others and have been more than impressed with the attention to detail.

The final straw when I had trailered my mothers festiva into the local dealership to fix a timing belt that was totally destroyed and was told the car just needed new spark plugs and the timing belt was fine..... :

Also they were incredibly expensive for a general service...

Its been 18months since i've had a Ford dealer service though, things might have changed.
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 08:52 PM   #13
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
I stopped having any of our fords serviced at the dealership, not very impressed with the workmanship and the attitude of some of the staff.... But I must say that this is only at my local dealer, ive been to others and have been more than impressed with the attention to detail.

The final straw when I had trailered my mothers festiva into the local dealership to fix a timing belt that was totally destroyed and was told the car just needed new spark plugs and the timing belt was fine..... :

Also they were incredibly expensive for a general service...

Its been 18months since i've had a Ford dealer service though, things might have changed.
No they havn't changed Mel, our local dealership is shocking for customer service and price.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #14
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I will be taking my Focus to the dealership for service. Mainly cause its brand new (4 weeks old) and I no longer have a garage to work in. I live in Randwick in Sydney so I need to find a good dealership to take it to as well.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 09:17 PM   #15
fordy-two
Starter Motor

I can't believe so many people still go to the dealer for a service. Do you have money to burn ? Surely you do not think it will increase your resale value ? May make it a tiny bit easier to sell. After your car is five years old - who cares ? I don't change cars that often but I've bought and sold maybe 9 or 10 cars in my time and never bothered with service books, nor did anyone ask to see mine.

Do not take it to your local Ford dealer if it is a busy one - not logical I know, if it's busy it should be because they do a good job. My local Fords is very busy, tried it a few times over the years then gave up. Nice people, very poor service. Last time I booked in for there $99 service special (a few years ago now) I was there at opening time and I was car number 18 ! There were plenty after me too. Just too busy to do a good job.

What decided me against going back was the usual of being charged for items in the service that are ticked off but just not done: battery check, fill water reservoir, grease doors, check a/c refrigerant, all the little stuff they charge a bit of time to but are just not done - it's not hard to check.

Mostly young apprentices doing the service work. Don't wipe up oil spills off the car frame, very sloppy. Asked them to investigate a clunk noise, they charged time but found no clunk noise. I drove it out over the driveway - clunk ! Took it to a local mechanic. Suspension bush completely torn away, very hard to miss. Obviously didn't check.
fordy-two is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 09:11 AM   #16
MKIITurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordy-two
I can't believe so many people still go to the dealer for a service. Do you have money to burn ? Surely you do not think it will increase your resale value ? May make it a tiny bit easier to sell. After your car is five years old - who cares ? I don't change cars that often but I've bought and sold maybe 9 or 10 cars in my time and never bothered with service books, nor did anyone ask to see mine.

Do not take it to your local Ford dealer if it is a busy one - not logical I know, if it's busy it should be because they do a good job. My local Fords is very busy, tried it a few times over the years then gave up. Nice people, very poor service. Last time I booked in for there $99 service special (a few years ago now) I was there at opening time and I was car number 18 ! There were plenty after me too. Just too busy to do a good job.

What decided me against going back was the usual of being charged for items in the service that are ticked off but just not done: battery check, fill water reservoir, grease doors, check a/c refrigerant, all the little stuff they charge a bit of time to but are just not done - it's not hard to check.

Mostly young apprentices doing the service work. Don't wipe up oil spills off the car frame, very sloppy. Asked them to investigate a clunk noise, they charged time but found no clunk noise. I drove it out over the driveway - clunk ! Took it to a local mechanic. Suspension bush completely torn away, very hard to miss. Obviously didn't check.
Hey fordy-two,

I completely hear ya. I had my XR6T serviced yesterday (15,000KM) and was charged $335 for it. Nothing was changed apart from the oil & filter. Air filter is the same. $195 for labour i thought was a joke. I will take this up with the Service Manager as the estimate i was given when i dropped the car off was $240.
MKIITurbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 09:14 AM   #17
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Novated Lease - condition that manufacturer conducts service at specified intervals.

So yes, the local dealer.

Otherwise I'd be doing the basics myself.
Old 23-03-2006, 10:56 AM   #18
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Whilst the services do not always represent value for money they are at least up to date on Recalls and get to see regular problems which thaey can rectify quickly, I have had more than my fair share of issues with ford dealers and have recently switched to Torque ford at Brendale, whilst still not perfect they have been better than my previous Ford Dealer in the city
I also think there is an issue that factory serviced cars have a percieved higher value when you go to sell them.
Old 23-03-2006, 11:12 AM   #19
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Local dealer Andrew Medieke Ford. Never a problem and nothing a problem for them. Today my XR6 is in for 60k service.
Old 23-03-2006, 12:56 PM   #20
Mark Edmonds
XLR8

A few weeks ago I was approached by a ford appointed market research company who spent an hour with me quizzing me in detail regarding whether I would ever consider taking my car to K Mart or Ultra Tune for servicing including while the vehicle is still under warranty. Over the past few weeks I,ve been pondering what strategy is being formulated behind the grey walls of bureacracy at broadmeadows. Are broadmeadows that unhappy with the cost and quality of services being carried out by ford dealers to the extent that Ford are now prepared to challenge the publics mindset that it is neccesscary to have your vehcile serviced at a ford dealer for the warranty to continue? I am that this very issue was challenged possibly in a court room a few years ago and it was found that provided genuine ford parts are used then the labour can be performed by a qualified mechanic etc....or something to that effect. Personally I can't ever see a manufacturer endorsing an alternative service option other than their dealers.....but who knows maybe ford are planning to stir the pot as far as their dealer servicing is concerned.
Mark Edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 01:15 PM   #21
Izoom

It will go until the warranty is up, then its DIY.
Izoom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 01:25 PM   #22
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will use the dealer if i need warranty work but for service i will use a quality mechanic such as a mate of mine with his own business. As long as he use's genuine parts & carry's out service as per service book im still covered by warranty (but not paying big bucks for the same service) Ive got another mate that works as a mechanic for a large ford dealer & he all so suggested i dont got to the dealer for my service. In his opinion im paying for half a dozen guys at front of house that are service adviser's. Then more than likley a 1st year apprentice will do the service.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 01:36 PM   #23
act2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
I will use the dealer if i need warranty work but for service i will use a quality mechanic such as a mate of mine with his own business. As long as he use's genuine parts & carry's out service as per service book im still covered by warranty (but not paying big bucks for the same service) Ive got another mate that works as a mechanic for a large ford dealer & he all so suggested i dont got to the dealer for my service. In his opinion im paying for half a dozen guys at front of house that are service adviser's. Then more than likley a 1st year apprentice will do the service.
U got it !!
:the_finge
act2617 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 01:43 PM   #24
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont get mine serviced at my local dealer. I only go there if its a warranty issue. nothing personal. I use a client of mine who I know, cos its comforting to know that only one person will ever work on my car. he also charges me less than the ford dealership!
Focussed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 01:57 PM   #25
act2617

This is from Mazda Australia

As you are aware, Mazda New Vehicle Warranty is not conditional to having your vehicle serviced by a Mazda dealer. However, should you experience any difficulty with your vehicle during the warranty period and the cause is found to be a result of incorrect, or lack of scheduled maintenance servicing, then Mazda will not be responsible for any damage that may occur.

Should you elect to use a non-Mazda service garage, the new vehicle warranty will not be void however, we recommend your selected repairer uses only genuine Mazda parts and that you maintain proper service records and keep your receipts.
act2617 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 02:39 PM   #26
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

I've used Brad Garlick Top Ryde almost exclusively for all the past 3 Fords. Went to Dale Ford twice, and while the service was good, wasn't quite the same for me. I also found the 'lead time' at Dale Ford was too long. Example, I'm getting the stacker replaced as it's swollowed 4 CD's and won't give 'em back, Dale Ford - 11 working days till nearest booking (Friday to Tuesday week), Brad Garlick - 3 working days (Friday till next Tuesday). I'm honest and patient with them, and they are with me. Brad Garlick give you a free brekkie as well....

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 04:03 PM   #27
oyob2003

A friend of mine bought a new ED falcon and it was always ford serviced, I bought it off him after 117,000ks each service cost him hundreds, in my opinion you go to ford for the first service and then find a good service centre or mech as long as they stamp your service book, I think you should only go to Ford if your service light comes on, but it has come on three times on my el and if the car is running well and no increase in fuel consumption I just cancel it with no bad effects, but I have a good mech and he does the car while I wait around, mostly only oil change and filter but I tell him when I want plugs or air filter and always 10,000ks under what the service manual says, my friend has a Prado now and goes to my mech and is quit happy. This is only my own personal choice many people will not agree but I am hundreds of dollars in front.
oyob2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 04:17 PM   #28
dje4leb

nothin wrong with genuine ford work i have a mk11 xr6 the 15k service cost me $89 cause i work with a local dealer linked with ford will always take it there my ed still gets lots of its work there its simple they always are working on them so they know what to look for when you get problems you know genuine parts are going in it n once you get to know the dealer here they do look after you. In the post early xr6 turbos cost more to service than n/a cause all the heatsheilds come off and manifold bolts get tightened every service. turbo works them all lose.
dje4leb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 05:08 PM   #29
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

I don't get any service work done at my local dealer, they've let me down too many times.
It's a small four man business (with it's own dyno) that get my car related work.. they're enthusiasts and enjoy working on many, many different cars, from Nissan Skylines, BMW's to HSV's. And the occasional Falc.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post