Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Making/loosing money on cars

With all the interest in "Whatsa wurf" ect around i thought id ask the big question
So it can really be for any model here,
Who has made or lost on cars ???
I hear many say "Oh it cost nufin and i made a few hundred" but they never add in fuel to retrieve, towing costs,advertising ect
Or then many who say "Ive spend 10K" and thats the total costings like fluids, breakpads and general wearing parts,then wonder why they only get a few grand
Then theres many who make money parting things out, but is time not a factor in the overall scheme of the profit ???
Surely there isnt many that have actually made money ???

302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Making/loosing money on cars

Wheeler dealers always seem to make a few pounds, but they don't count the labor costs for their mechanic Edd. I guess if you can do everything yourself, there is money to be made, but the risks are there. Mostly though i think people loose money on restoring cars.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Wreckers make a little bit of profit on cars- give you a couple of hundred for your car if your lucky. First thing they do is cut the catalytic converter off, they get money for that, then sell what parts they can, then sell the crushed shell to scrap metal. Easily recouping their $200 outlay plus paying their labor and cost. Also car salesmen make money or they wouldn't be in the game.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I have made money on 3 or 4 cars now.

Each time i've bought them in a not-roadworthy and generally grubby state for cheap. I've known the right guys to bring them up to roadworthy for the right price, and i've done a lot of work myself to prettify them.

Total costs:
Purchase price
Rego transfer costs
Insurance whilst you own the vehicle
Mechanical work
RWC
Ad costs

Then I will sell the car for more than the total of these costs.

The profit I make is really only paying myself a wage for the time I spent, and I realise that. Profit has ranged from about $70/hr to as small as about $8/hr. But my theory is that I would have only spent that time being a "bludgerigar" or goofing off on AFF anyway.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
XRTickfordNZ
XR Tickford Fanatic

Bought a XAGT Coupe back in 2004 from aussie, owed me $10k, landed in my workshop here in Christchurch. Paid $7500 for the car, $2500 shipping, gst in NZ etc. Spent 1k on tuning, wheel alignment etc. Did 100miles in total in the 4 years I owned it. Regretably had to sell due to a seperation in 2008 for $45000AUD ( $48000NZD ) and it now resides back in aussie. Guess the timing was right when I first bought it......

Does this count?

Cheers,

Brendon

1998 AU Fairmont Wagon, XR6 front kit....His
2002 AUIII XR6 Sedan, Blueprint, tints, tinted lights, BA XR wheels, leather....Hers
2008 Tandem Axle Trailer, The Falcon Hauler

XRTickfordNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
matty88

I bought a VL for $100. No rego/rwc, put a new thermostat and radiator hoses in and sold it for $650 unreg
matty88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

My mate at work bought a gemini for pretty much nothing...

sold it for 6 grand...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
pmacc

every now and then the auctions supply some real bargins

Bought a hilux last year for 9k at the auctions spent 3k cleaning it up, traded it in for 18 when i got my g series
pmacc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I bought a brand new Territory Ghia with employee discount back in 2004, kept it the minimum 6 months I was required too and found a private buyer for it, made a $4000 profit.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
jixel 78

Bought a rust free XF with a new motor for $1000.Bloke thought the auto was shagged,fitted a new pan gasket, adjusted the bands and kickdown,then got a bit carried away. Put on a Holley,manifold and extractors, dumped it on new springs, replaced the ignition, dizzy and starter,tints, wacked on some XR6 mags, gassed the A/C. Wheel aligned it,poured 100 bucks of fuel a week in it for 6 months,loved it and sold it for $2000. Lost $1000 not counting the rego or insurance. Nice car.Waved my hands in the air and waved it down the street for a song. Got a bit over enthused about that one. Wont be the last I`m sure
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #11
grandtourer
Starter Motor

There are many people who make money from cars (aside from licensed motor dealers) some that make a damn good living from it. Although it is harder on newer cars, old cars are much easier because there is always someone out there who is willing to pay a little extra to own it.
Is there anything wrong with making money from cars?
grandtourer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Me and dad bought an 02 v8 explorer with a blown motor + spare, paid 2k. spent around 5k in parts. sold it for 12 or 13, cant remember exactly.
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #13
old_mate
Smash the Boost

bought a XY when i was an apprentice, paid 3k.

Got it up to QLD and parked it in dads shed to be rebuilt when I got the money together.

Got a mortgage, got married, pulled the XY out of the shed 4 years after it went in because I had sold it for 11k.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
grandtourer
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
bought a XY when i was an apprentice, paid 3k.

Got it up to QLD and parked it in dads shed to be rebuilt when I got the money together.

Got a mortgage, got married, pulled the XY out of the shed 4 years after it went in because I had sold it for 11k.
You won't go broke making a profit that's for sure. Who else out there has made/lost money on cars?
Old 12-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #15
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought an AU Fairmont S2 for $2750 in December 2010 with 320,000km on the clock in Gold coast. Drove it to Melbourne, didn't have any problems at all, nor did it have any while I was driving it to work here in Melb.

Probably spent about $500 on petrol between December 2010 to February 2011 (including the drive down), then it got rear-ended by a sparky, insurance payout was $6700.

Replaced it with an 86 RX7, spent a few grand making sure it was running, ended up losing a few grand on that. Decided to sell it before it died, then bought another fairmont.

The buyer of the RX7 got stranded with a ********ed rotor driving back to Sydney, so got rid of that one just in time!!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandtourer
There are many people who make money from cars (aside from licensed motor dealers) some that make a damn good living from it. Although it is harder on newer cars, old cars are much easier because there is always someone out there who is willing to pay a little extra to own it.
Is there anything wrong with making money from cars?
No theres no issue with people making money from cars and good for them
But its funny how more loose than make
My XC ,is from what i paid and what its realistically worth , even in parts is better than money in the bank,one of my late 90s patrols is the same
But theres many ive bought that were just a total waste of time ,space and money
Surely there are many who have bought and lost
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #17
grandtourer
Starter Motor

True. But what if you bought cars for the intention of selling them for a profit? With that goal in mind, surely the odds would be tipped in favor of making a profit rather than a loss. Obviously, you'd need to buy them under what someone else is willing to pay.

Here's another question. Let's say you saw a nice old car in the supermarket carpark and you left a note on it asking if they would consider selling. Arguments sake, lets say is a one owner low mile XR Fairmont V8. The owner calls you and says they want to sell, but only want a fraction of what it's really worth, lets say $500. Would you buy it? Would you negotiate a better deal? Or would you pay market value for it?

And finally, would you feel guilty selling it a few weeks later for a very healthy profit?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #18
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
True. But what if you bought cars for the intention of selling them for a profit? With that goal in mind, surely the odds would be tipped in favor of making a profit rather than a loss. Obviously, you'd need to buy them under what someone else is willing to pay.

Here's another question. Let's say you saw a nice old car in the supermarket carpark and you left a note on it asking if they would consider selling. Arguments sake, lets say is a one owner low mile XR Fairmont V8. The owner calls you and says they want to sell, but only want a fraction of what it's really worth, lets say $500. Would you buy it? Would you negotiate a better deal? Or would you pay market value for it?

And finally, would you feel guilty selling it a few weeks later for a very healthy profit?
sounds like fun.. ripping off old people......

how would you feel if some wheeler dealer flat out ripped off your elderly parents in a said such deal..........
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #19
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Only ever got more than I paid for a car.
in 1982 I brought a brand spanking new XE ESP 5.8L, I paid $17,800 cash and sold it back to the same Ford dealer 10 months later for $19,500. It was one of 104 built.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #20
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

My uncle used to buy cars from the damaged vehicle auctions, repair them and sell them on. He made a bit of money on it.
He was a towie and mechanic, had friends in panel beating etc, so there were a lot of deals between them for mates rates towing, bringing in business - you know the old "you scratch my back..."

The NSW laws on statutory write-offs has changed now, so that's put an end to that.

We've almost always made money selling our old buses.
Bought one for parts in November last year @ $2,500, then changed our minds, no longer required it, and sold it to some poor fool on ebay for $6,100.
We did end up pilfering some bits off it for my bus. Exhaust brake, better heads...
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #21
grandtourer
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
sounds like fun.. ripping off old people......

how would you feel if some wheeler dealer flat out ripped off your elderly parents in a said such deal..........
That was an example....old car = old people. Are you ripping them off if you are paying them what they are asking?

What would you do?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #22
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That was an example....old car = old people. Are you ripping them off if you are paying them what they are asking?

What would you do?
i dont rip old dudes..

now..

may i interest you in a bag of beans i have for sale...
Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #23
grandtourer
Starter Motor

Quote:
i dont rip old dudes..

now..

may i interest you in a bag of beans i have for sale...
Nor do I. You keep the beans, you need them more than I do.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #24
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nor do I. You keep the beans, you need them more than I do.
my beans not good enough for you....
Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #25
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
my beans not good enough for you....
ahem.. well then...

That principle of selling something for more than what you bought it for is essentially the principle of trading.

i.e. a brand new 335 GT will cost more to me than it would for Ford to actually employ the workers, manufacture and source parts, pay the leases on dealerships etc...
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #26
T-Pak Addict
Jim

I was doing a rouring trade at one stage buying EF/EL Vic Xcabs for $700 - 800 driving them to SA and giving them a good clean and selling them for $2500 with rego (We can get 3 months rego here) was selling one every 3-4 weeks.. EL's had a good name and it all stopped when AU;s started going cheap. No one wanted them! Scored a very nice AU S1 Xcab from Sydney for $1400 in 2006 and drove it home, clocked up 35,000 kays in that in 9 months doing Vic runs buying EL's... I sold about 8 all up I think.. was making a about $1000 each car... It was easy back then, alot harder to do that now tho, people just get on Ebay and buy them....

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #27
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pak Addict
I was doing a rouring trade at one stage buying EF/EL Vic Xcabs for $700 - 800 driving them to SA and giving them a good clean and selling them for $2500 with rego (We can get 3 months rego here) was selling one every 3-4 weeks.. EL's had a good name and it all stopped when AU;s started going cheap. No one wanted them! Scored a very nice AU S1 Xcab from Sydney for $1400 in 2006 and drove it home, clocked up 35,000 kays in that in 9 months doing Vic runs buying EL's... I sold about 8 all up I think.. was making a about $1000 each car... It was easy back then, alot harder to do that now tho, people just get on Ebay and buy them....
Gotta love the AU's!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #28
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg1991
Gotta love the AU's!
Wife still drives one and son drives a AU Ex-Cab...

Wife doesnt like the BA... Go figure

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #29
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i guess i have never made or lost money on cars
in almost 25 years of ownership, i have never sold one
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #30
JamesR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i bought a car for dad, an '96 EF Futura, it had been sitting in a shed for 5 years, had less than 190k on the clock and was in really good condition, just missing a heap of parts [long story..]
we picked it up for 700 and had it on the road for maybe 1200ish
dad got rear ended and insurance paid out 4.5k for it.
which was a pity, cos it was a good car!

my photo blog;
http://www.jamesruff.net
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post