Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Police lose $22,000 auctioning seized vehicles

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...4-2761,00.html

THE first auction of unclaimed vehicles seized from suspended drivers has ended up costing WA Police about $22,000.

Twenty two seized vehicles went under the hammer today, selling for a total of just $9900.

Police Commissioner Karl O’Callaghan said the cost to police was about $1000 per vehicle, once auction costs were deducted.

But he said police would now consider using debt collecters to recoup the losses from the vehicle owners.

“The outcome of the auction is disappointing although not entirely unexpected," he said.

" Whether this first auction is indicative of future auction returns is yet to be seen.

" Under the Road Traffic Act Amendment, WA Police can recover any outstanding debt from the owners and we are currently exploring this course of action.

"WA Police already has existing contracts with debt collecting agencies.”

More than 2100 vehicles have been taken from motorists caught driving with a suspended or cancelled drivers licence since the new sezure laws were introduced on July 1 this year.

More than a third of the impounded vehicles, which each cost more than $1000 to recover, were not collected with the 28 day seizure period.

once the car has been impounded i did'nt think the owner had any legal liability to pay costs associated with it.

only to his loan company........

wrong or right?

ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to know making the roads safer is not about money . What did they want a profit
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Teflon Turbo
Banned

do you think anyone bought their own car back?
Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i knew that confiscating cars would result many people driving clunkers/death traps. Tried telling the local pollies too. But they are always swayed by popular opinion and the media, so we now have more unroadworthy cars and more people not paying registration.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
But he said police would now consider using debt collecters to recoup the losses from the vehicle owners.
Can they even do this??
Old 11-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Can they even do this??

yep - just reconfigure the legislation - these vehicles went for a pittance, the most paid was just over $2,000, arguably most were clunkers - I'm awaiting the first GT to be auctioned, be down there in a flash.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon Turbo
do you think anyone bought their own car back?
They were just about all piles of junk and had been delicensed, so if they wanted it back it would have to go over the pits. Probably still cheaper than the $1000 holding fee.
Me though, I'm glad these menaces are off the road, they lost their license in the first place because they're idiots on the road. If they keep driving they keep losing there car.
Eventually the pay off will be less trauma on the roads because stats here in WA show unlicensed drivers are responsible for about 20% of fatals and serious prangs.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Sucked in.

Although there was an XG panno that looked ok, I wonder what it went for.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is there a list as to what cars were auctioned and how much they went for?
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #10
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
They were just about all piles of junk and had been delicensed, so if they wanted it back it would have to go over the pits. Probably still cheaper than the $1000 holding fee.
Me though, I'm glad these menaces are off the road, they lost their license in the first place because they're idiots on the road. If they keep driving they keep losing there car.
Eventually the pay off will be less trauma on the roads because stats here in WA show unlicensed drivers are responsible for about 20% of fatals and serious prangs.
When will the 'eventual' happen and they have taken the unlicensed, uninsuranced off the roads? They have crappers as stated, tehy take them away, they get another crapper ..... these type of people don't care and will just keep getting unroadworthy, uninsured crappers. Unfortunatley an unlicensed driver looks the same as many other responsible person ... untill they have an accident.

If they made a profit I am sure there would be a huge increase in trying to fix the problem though ..... somehow they would then find a way, but until then it will always be a token fix.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
Swamp Rat

my sister is a qld cop and she heard that they(qld police) maybe using the confiscated cars as ünmarked "police" cars, but she hasnt been able to confirm it yet,maybe some one here knows more?

2 mitsubishi express vans

Project VF 770 Hardtop,440 big block,727 torque flite
Swamp Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #12
xrford
WAGONE

Even if they were mostly all shi*ters? would be the last thing youd expect being pulled over by a cop in a XG panno lol
Although then youd get idiots trying to run them, theyd have to be half decent impounds youd reckon.
xrford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #13
Swamp Rat

lol... some of the cars theyve impounded here in qld would surprise you
some would make you cry

Old 11-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #14
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Rat
my sister is a qld cop and she heard that they(qld police) maybe using the confiscated cars as ünmarked "police" cars, but she hasnt been able to confirm it yet,maybe some one here knows more?
I've seen cops in NSW doing it before.. not 100% sure if they are confiscated but 180sx's isn't exactly standard issue lol
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #15
Swamp Rat

ive seen a hotted up gemini,an old vw bettle and a few lancers so far
i near got whip lash when i saw the flashing lights in the beetle windscreen,felt sorry for the poor bugger he had pulled over though

Old 11-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #16
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

This isn't the first time and won't be the last time that it's cost a government department to dispose of assets in the 'correct' way. Just remember you've gotta pass the 'Front Page of The Australian' test.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #17
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Rat
Nope, and if it did happen, and they were using my car, without my permission, I would be reporting it as stolen. They go to a holding yard. Also IIRC it is illegal for QLD police to use any vehicle over 5 years old for official duties.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #18
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag top
is there a list as to what cars were auctioned and how much they went for?
No i don't think there was, but 90% of them were old Hyundais and Corollas etc, averaged $450 each. They were junk, those that bought them will have fun getting them over the pits I reckon.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #19
Swamp Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
Nope, and if it did happen, and they were using my car, without my permission, I would be reporting it as stolen. They go to a holding yard. Also IIRC it is illegal for QLD police to use any vehicle over 5 years old for official duties.
makes you wonder whats going on with the gemini and vw i saw

Old 12-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #20
zaneabel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In NSW i believe a Safety Certificate / vehicle Safety check is required each year. This has not been implemented here in QLD and i am not to sure as to why it has'nt.

I am curious about what the other States have in place, as in compulsory Annual vehicle checks.

I understand that this would make it hard for the "battler" keeping there car on the road. But Safety should be paramount.

We sometimes see some really unsafe cars come through the shop.
zaneabel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #21
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
yep - just reconfigure the legislation - these vehicles went for a pittance, the most paid was just over $2,000, arguably most were clunkers - I'm awaiting the first GT to be auctioned, be down there in a flash.
ONLY because know one has the $ to challenge this rubbish in the high court. Constitution and inherited rights mean nothing these days.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #22
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
ONLY because know one has the $ to challenge this rubbish in the high court. Constitution and inherited rights mean nothing these days.
I've always wondered how these laws would stack up against the Constitution...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #23
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Can they even do this??
I'm wondering the same thing. Whats to recoup? The cars were seized because they broke some law. So where is there a need to recoup money?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #24
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

gotta love it, the government enacts a law to confiscate cars, and then financially penalise the people for disposal for the impounded vehicle.... if the government doesnt like losing money on impounding/confiscating cars, they shouldnt do it
Old 13-09-2009, 11:46 PM   #25
Maggot
Half an aussie garage!!

no sympathy for people driving uninsured, unlicensed.. they are involved in a large percentage of accidents, cause insurance hassles and as a general rule
the cars are not maintained.. good thing.

and no.. they should not go after the former owner for any money.. I think the cars should be crushed as scrap as well., and not offered back to become death traps again.

Next auction we are going to try and get one as a farm basher.
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2009, 11:56 PM   #26
hypnodoc
Its All In Your Mind

Quote:
Can they even do this??
Mate in this state, they can fit people up for murder, send them to jail for 11 years and before the CCC find the coppers are dirty, they can resign and get a 130k per year job with FISA (I refer here to Andrew Mallards wrongful conviction), so selling confiscated cars and then sending the HOON a bill for the loss will be a walk in the park for the lying rouges and the crooked coppers who run this state. I think 99.5% of Police, Karl O'Callaghan included, do a great job, but theres a lot of weeds in the garden over here. They have let 3 wrongly convicted murderers out oF jail in the past decade with another 2 or 3 to go. Worse than bloody Texas. Unless of course you are a bent copper. No wonder people can get let off for headbutting the Taser happy clowns.

Xtreme Tuned: 375 RwKw (502 RwHp) & 820 Nm:
Whhooooooosssssssshhhhhh
HSV HUNTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

BA Phoons 013 and 333 Gone
hypnodoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #27
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I'm wondering the same thing. Whats to recoup? The cars were seized because they broke some law. So where is there a need to recoup money?
The Police usually use a Third Party to recover and hold the vehicle. So until Joe Blow pays the fine the Police are liable for the costs to the Third Party.

Hoon confiscation fell dramatically in Queensland when they started losing money.
Old 14-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #28
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86

Hoon confiscation fell dramatically in Queensland when they started losing money.

lol money talks hey.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #29
bcr2734
Off tap Truckie

And QLD has none atm.
1970 Mk1 Escort GT
1980 Mack Superliner 120t: Project Puppy Dog!
AU2 XLS Cab Chassis, 5ltr, T3 Kit, Speedy Envy's 19x8.5
bcr2734 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #30
Feral Ford
FeralFordFan

Default I'll go halves with ya Craig,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot
no sympathy for people driving uninsured, unlicensed.. they are involved in a large percentage of accidents, cause insurance hassles and as a general rule
the cars are not maintained.. good thing.

and no.. they should not go after the former owner for any money.. I think the cars should be crushed as scrap as well., and not offered back to become death traps again.

Next auction we are going to try and get one as a farm basher.

as long as we can bash the f... out of it the padock :

1995 LTD 5ltr Windsor

1968 XT Fairmont 351 Cleveland

Beer, so much more than just a breakfast drink
Feral Ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post