Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: How important is Brand and product marketing?
Extremely: image is everything and im an impulive buyer. 1 2.38%
Very: I need to feel good about my purchase even if quality is average 4 9.52%
Moderately: Brand Image and awareness is just as important as quality 10 23.81%
Mildy: Brand awareness is good, but i research my purchase first and choose whats best for me. 27 64.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #1
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Automotive Product and Brand Marketing: informative or persuasive?

In light of recent discussions about automotive product and brand marketing id be interested to hear people's comments.
How important is marketing to you as a potential consumer?

Old 22-10-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To me it makes no difference, I want Fords and thats what i will buy. What advertisement I see does not change my decision at all. However I do get embarressed when Ford produce shithouse adds.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

To me it does'nt even rate,All I look for is quality,in both product and service,and I will pay more for it,whether it be from a "known" brand in the market or an unknown,I rely on first hand info from work contacts/aquaintances/friends that use a type of product.
but I may not be your average consumer..

relating this to Ford's,the territory has great wraps from all those I know with one,so if I was in the market for a family car,this is what I would buy,and I dont think ive seen an add for one yet,not watching hardly any free to air TV..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must admit even though my work involves Sales and Marketing im a Marketer's worst nightmare, when it comes to things automotive i buy purely on quality and after careful evaluation.. image means very little to me if the product isnt upto my expectations.. all the "hero" type ads in the world won't convince me to buy if i can't convince myself first.

Old 22-10-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
Steffo
LPG > You

For me marketing means nothing. I'm going to buy what I think (ney - know) is good, regardless of what TV, internet, papers or whatever else tries to tell me. But then, I'm not Joe Six-Pack, I'm a car enthusiast.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
For me marketing means nothing. I'm going to buy what I think (ney - know) is good, regardless of what TV, internet, papers or whatever else tries to tell me. But then, I'm not Joe Six-Pack, I'm a car enthusiast.
+1
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 10:14 PM   #7
Cooper69S

I'm not too sure there will be many people who will admit/claim/whatever that they are influenced by marketing, but I'm sure we are all affected by marketing to some extent.
who has the time to conduct a full and thorough investigation on every purchase they make, esp on cheaper items? obviously given that we're here on AFF, we'll be likely to do more research than joe average when it comes to car purchases and modifications, but on a lot of things we can be fairly strongly influenced by reputation, and a reputation can be made with good marketing. eg product A might be the best quality product in its field, but if its an unheard-of brand, and its competitor product B is the second best in its field and marketed everywhere to the point of being a household name, you can bet that product b will outsell product a every time.

a good marketing campaign WILL influence potential customers - its what marketing is all about. if it didn't work, companies wouldn't waste so much money on it...
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 11:17 PM   #8
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No difference to me. Real world feedback is what I wanna know about a product ... Not how good some company exec's are at making me think it is indeed right for me.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 12:47 AM   #9
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As with most things, quality and brand image do have the ability to be two seperate things, every now and then you find a good quality product with a good image and marketing.

mostly though its a crap product tarted up through the advertising $ that is very powerful.

Dad always said wrap sheite in chocolate son and you will sell it everytime. clever old bugga at times he was.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 03:37 AM   #10
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

If a Product is good , the best advertising is "word of mouth" , Cheapies are exactly that , Cheap . Highly promoted products are probably about the same as "mid priced" products , the advertising $$$ have got to come from somewhere .

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 07:44 AM   #11
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper69S
I'm not too sure there will be many people who will admit/claim/whatever that they are influenced by marketing, but I'm sure we are all affected by marketing to some extent.
who has the time to conduct a full and thorough investigation on every purchase they make, esp on cheaper items? obviously given that we're here on AFF, we'll be likely to do more research than joe average when it comes to car purchases and modifications, but on a lot of things we can be fairly strongly influenced by reputation, and a reputation can be made with good marketing. eg product A might be the best quality product in its field, but if its an unheard-of brand, and its competitor product B is the second best in its field and marketed everywhere to the point of being a household name, you can bet that product b will outsell product a every time.

a good marketing campaign WILL influence potential customers - its what marketing is all about. if it didn't work, companies wouldn't waste so much money on it...
Exactly - people arn't likley to admit that marketing works on them, in fact they may not even consciously know that it is affecting their buying behaviour. Admittedly it is a little different in a small enthusiasts group such as ours but it is still there. If marketing in the automotive world didn't work we would all be driving white Camry's - reliable, good resale, gets from A to B, why do you need anything else? Think image, reputation, excitement, inspiration, aspiration ect.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #12
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Image etc. would be fairly crucial to the general public, who I suggest would be easily guided by smart advertising, these people would make up most of a companies buyers also, hence Holden and Toyota generally sell more cars. With small communities, like on these forums sights it means less, as an enthusiast will research at their own accord
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 12:43 PM   #13
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I listen and watch too much ABC to really be swayed by advertising. But I find it useful if they present a new product if I have not heard of.
Old 24-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #14
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brands do effect my decision when it does come to buy automotive parts and accesories.

Some Brands recieve the due praise and rewarded with sales, but there are a disturbing amount of brands that sell only due to their marketing and not their product.

I still can't believe how many people still buy Snap On tools thinking they are far superior to any other make. I have only a Snap on ratchet screwdriver, but thats it.

Or even Top Gun leads, they come in a lot of pretty colours but using a multimeter they aren't better than standard off the shelf set of bosch leads.

Saying that a bit of research does go along way.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post