Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-07-2008, 01:08 AM   #1
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 
Default Struggling to keep it in a straight line

Had a flat on sat, drove a couple hundred metre's before realising, put spare on which is a standard 16" fairmont wheel when the rest au series 1 tickford 17's, and it bounced all over the road, i put on 2 new back tyres today and the same thing, darting all over the road, oversteering really bad, when i turn a corner its not responsive and then im oversteering really badly, only starts to do it at over about 70km's an hour under that driving around town it feels sort of normal. and its all in the rear end, kind of feels like i have 4 wheel steering, i had just put in new year balls joints and everything else was 100% and had a wheel alighment done at that time, i haven't had a chance to get under and have a look yet, but the question is could a flat tyre put the wheel alignment out? i let the steering wheel go and the car drives straight perfectly, and if i hold the steering wheel i feel like im constantly darting left and right.

5.0 ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
brad`
The Monty

are you sure your sterring wheel its self is aligned streight ? i got a wheel alighnment done a few weeks back and the car drives perfectly strright but when i hold the wheel i seem to always be pulling it to the right to counter. i took it back and the guy said they must have done an alignment and had the wheel turned a little. So when you hold the wheel sright its actually on an angle

if that makes any sence ?

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Flat tyre could knock the alignment out, was the flat on the front?
Old 02-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Did you get a 4 wheel alignment? Also I take it you have a ghia so you have IRS, look at the top shock mounts. Mine started to wander a bit when they were worn.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

yep irs, and was a 4 wheel alignment down, steering wheel is straight, and flat was on rear.

hmmm top shock mounts, i did a dodgy last time and put a washer on top and bottom so that it had more area pushing on the rubber cause they were stuffed, stopped the noise, could it be my own dodgyness causing the problem, i'll replace them and see.
5.0 ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
yep irs, and was a 4 wheel alignment down, steering wheel is straight, and flat was on rear.

hmmm top shock mounts, i did a dodgy last time and put a washer on top and bottom so that it had more area pushing on the rubber cause they were stuffed, stopped the noise, could it be my own dodgyness causing the problem, i'll replace them and see.
Replace them but still put a washer under the rubber bowl washer thing. The design of the ones you'll get is slightly different to the originals so you need the extra washer there.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

are the tyres you got put on the back decent ones or cheapies? some have a "tramlining" effect, which can feel like what you are describing, makes it feel like you are floating, are they the same as what is on the front?
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2008, 12:52 AM   #8
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maxxis R1's all round, put on hoist and checked it out today, can't find anything wrong except i had a broken rubber boot on my rack which i replaced, will do shock mounts and then go get a roady over weekend.