Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Killer Commodores

I know this subject has been done to death but just a little update.
Here in Perth we've had 3 fatals in the last week and they all involved Commodores, WTF is it with these guys in the Commodores.

One lost control at high speed and wiped out a pole, two fences a median strip and hit a tree killing his 16 year old sister. The secons was a Commodore clipped a couple driving along minding their own business and the innocent driver was killed and the 3rd was some idiot in a ute doing burnouts and lost control and wiped out.

If ever there should be a car that P platers are banned from it's these things. I think they put their brains in the glove box when they get behind the wheel.
: :

Old 03-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Just a number... I'm sure there a plenty of Falcon fatailties... who knows... maybe they could even be more then Commodore fatalities...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
HOON69
Banned

come to my street,all i see is idiots in stock ef's with a sports system thinking they are in the OZ DRIFT SERIES

every car every make every model known to man has a 7OSSER behind the wheel
qld has 40 deaths more this year then last,and most aint because of some P plater commodore driver either.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
Falcon Freak
Banned

It is the mentality of the people who drive these cars which is the problem.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
T-BOOST
Blue Power enhanced

What a shame.......i hope the weekend is better

I hate hearing about an out of control idiot that kills someone but survive's themselves. No one deserves to die but if one has to go it should be the idiot.

also selling my C.A.P.A tune box

pics of my Turbo Ghia are here
EGO TTG
Dont forget to rate it :
T-BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #6
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if that is why when I went from a VT commodore insured for 12k to a ford territory insured for 50k the terri was just over half the price to insure.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2007, 09:49 PM   #7
rodderz

Don't blame Commodores for the problem, it's the goose behind the wheel
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
ef_classic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
One lost control at high speed and wiped out a pole, two fences a median strip and hit a tree killing his 16 year old sister.
God that sounds terrible, i could not live with myself if that happend to one of my sisters, the guy must be going thru hell...
ef_classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #9
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Don't blame Commodores for the problem, it's the goose behind the wheel
I thought it was the nut holding the steering wheel that was the problem. :

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2007, 10:17 PM   #10
v8ford351

a guy in a gtp falcon lost it and hit a tree just round the corner from my place the other night. he was apparently trying to fishy the street and over corrected but went side on into a tree dead between the a pillar and b pillar on the drivers side. the tree trunk ended up just hitting the drivers seat but it didn't matter he died.

i own a skyline and i like to play sometimes like anyone else, i also like to think i'm a skilled driver, i've raced cars and understand the physics involved but....

after seeing things like that gtp crash it really wakes you up. i mean it doesn't take much to kill you in a crash.... 20? 40? 60 kph impact the result will most likely be the same....something goes wrong, you slide, you hit the object, your head and neck hit something hard and thats it all over.

go figure....a car travelling at 80kph....a tree a meter wide...add all the angles/distance and variables in between...and he manages to hit the only big tree in the street and with the most deadly impact. It was meant to be his number was up.
v8ford351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2007, 10:21 PM   #11
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

i dont think it has any thing to do with the cars it the nut behind the steering wheel that is the problem
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2007, 10:57 PM   #12
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And the demographic that generally purchases them.

It's certainly no secret that a large portion of P platers purchase VP-VS commodores (will evolve into VT's in a couple of years when the average price of them decreases) due to their relatively reasonable power output versus cost. They're a whole lot of power for a measily 2-4k... Sure, EA-EL Falcons fit the bill too, but from my experience they're MUCH less popular amongst the young folk.

Matt.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 12:06 AM   #13
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chamelion is spot on, a few thousand for a 124 - 157 kw V6 is nothing. And to be quite honest, having owned a modified V6 commodore, these things can get up and go, throw in lack of expirence behind the wheel.

They mentioned this is Motor or Wheels mag a month or so ago.. certain makes will always attract a certain type of driver. The early to mid 90s model Commodores are the weapons of choice for young men, as it was mine. The smartest thing I did was trade in the thing for the AU. I miss her thou.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 12:20 AM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Ban P platers from driving Commodores and they'll just find another marquis to wipe themselves out in.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 03:31 AM   #15
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ef_classic
God that sounds terrible, i could not live with myself if that happend to one of my sisters, the guy must be going thru hell...
same here mate. I would not be able to go on knowing because of my stupidity, my sister is dead. As she the passenger is the innocent one.

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #16
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
If ever there should be a car that P platers are banned from it's these things. I think they put their brains in the glove box when they get behind the wheel.
: :
We all know that Holdens were invented to keep the dheads out of Fords
Seriously, ban them from Commodores and they'll find something else and you'll be calling for those to be banned. A friend years ago did stupid things in a Datsun 120Y, an XF Falcon Ute (while we were in the back - didn't do that again) and an XC Cobra
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #17
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cost and availability plays a big role.

A P Plater can go purchase a VN V6 5 Speed for hardly anything, and it will still have enough get up, and go to do double the speed limilt, or rip a burnout.

The same year Falcon would do the same thing, but I don't know, maybe they don't think they're "cool" enough to own?

Anyway I've seen my fair share of d---heads driving Falcons. The worst being my brother's mate that thinks his XF pano is the fastest thing on the road, and just a ****er in general.

Everything possible should be done to stop the morons from driving behind the wheel. Blaming it on the car they drive, wont change a damn thing.

Last edited by Ryan; 04-11-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 12:12 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

You just need to look at the average VL-VS Commodore P Plater. Most of them think they are the reincarnation of Brocky cause they can do fully sick burnouts in the wet. All brands have them but the Commodore drivers are far the worst, no one can deny the majority of these incidents are these fools that usually are sitting so far back they may as well just remove the drivers seat and sit in the back and steer. No wonder they crash so much, they must have no control over the steering being so far back.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #19
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
, no one can deny the majority of these incidents are these fools that usually are sitting so far back they may as well just remove the drivers seat and sit in the back and steer. No wonder they crash so much, they must have no control over the steering being so far back.
Actually in general I don't know how anyone can physically drive a car like that.

I can't do it, because I get a bad back. Besides it looks ridiculous anyway.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 12:38 PM   #20
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

I have to agree that Commodores attract a lot of d!kheads but I have to admit that a lot of my mates are diehard Holden enthusiasts simply I guess because Ford enthusiasts are so thin on the ground in my age group and Ricer fans annoy me so much with their stupidity and ignorance that I can't stand more than a 30 second conversation with them. eg. here is an example with a conversation with a Holden fan and a Ricer fan.

Me: "Happen to watch Bathurst on the weekend?"

Holden fan: "Yeah real funny, I guess Holden taught Lowndes to drive well hey!"

Me: "How's the VK going ready to run it against the Mont yet?"

Holden fan "No way! The Fairmont would smoke it. I really need to get the VK going faster".

Me: "It's because your 202 hasn't got a good enough flowing head. The XE of the same time had a crossflow head. Then again the Toranas went pretty hard in the day with the old Holden six. Have you looked at changing the gearing or going forced induction??"

Holden fan: "Yeah I've been looking at supercharger kits on the internet it should slot in nicely where the airconditioning compressor is.

---------------------------

Me:"Watch the Bathurst on the weekend?"

Ricer fan: "No! Bathurst is stupid and for crap drivers. Their a bunch of pussys who banned the Corolla because it kept winning!"

Me: "Oh you mean how my Fairmont completely obliterated YOUR Corolla??"

Ricer fan: "I saw a cop so I backed off. My Corolla ****es all over Falcons I've beat tonnes of FPV's my cars got a Toyota twin cam engine, pod filter and a exhaust. Look how small your tip is compared to mine!

Me: "Ummm you have a carby Corolla that backfires, you aren't serious are you??"

Ricer fan: My car is made in Japan and is like the one on initial D. My mum got a new VRX Lancer like the one on fast and the furious they are a 10 second car. I was drifting it the other day Lancers are the best at drifting.

....at this point I'm close to strangling the ricer fan.

Seriously as much as there are a lot of d!kheads in Commodores I'm sure many people here have mates into Holdens. As much as Commowhore drivers annoy me it's nothing compared to the tryhard ricer boys.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 12:45 PM   #21
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Urbandictionary has the best definitions of the Commodore lol

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=commodore

Here is comparing the VB-VK to the VL and VN-VP Commodore:

"Aww yarh lets mozy on down to the corner shop for some smoko k shazza?" - reference to the 1979-85 model Commodore.

"Oh mah gawd! have yous seen the momo's in Habibs new vl turbz uleh?! i swear to gawd they is the sickest thing this side of chapz!"
reference to the 1986-1988 Holden Commodore.

"Check it mate, my phat 'exec' has the style to pull all tha bitchaz, spesh with all the neon lights n shits that i has put in 'her"
Reference to the 1989-1992 Holden Commodore.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:49 PM   #22
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
no one can deny the majority of these incidents are these fools that usually are sitting so far back they may as well just remove the drivers seat and sit in the back and steer. No wonder they crash so much, they must have no control over the steering being so far back.
I know, i see plently of people at school who have the seat so far back they cannot see the bonnet, and ive tried that position, and i have no idea how it is even possible to drive like that.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #23
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
I know, i see plently of people at school who have the seat so far back they cannot see the bonnet, and ive tried that position, and i have no idea how it is even possible to drive like that.
A lot of them it looks ridiculous. I tend to have my seat back a fair way, but I have a valid excuse. I am 6"4' and find with the seat upright, the tinted band at the top of the windscreen impedes my vision. The seats in Falcons have always been way too high.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #24
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
A lot of them it looks ridiculous. I tend to have my seat back a fair way, but I have a valid excuse. I am 6"4' and find with the seat upright, the tinted band at the top of the windscreen impedes my vision. The seats in Falcons have always been way too high.
Taken from Urban dictionary...

Quote:
FALCON...

the name of quite posibly the worst car ever sold in australia, with the exception of perhaps the datsun 120Y

its lack of styling and complete uselessness on a racing track (or at a set of traffic lights late at night) when compared to commodores highlight the general inadequecy of its straight-6 engine and boring V8

the only good falcon is a recycled falcon

my v6-commodore has a better power-to-weight ratio than your straight-6 ford

i'd rather walk than drive a falcon
Bwahahahaha...Inadequate Straight 6?? ...some Commodore drivers are in denial ....oh and he can't spell/punctuate to save his life...
Old 04-11-2007, 09:13 PM   #25
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
One day i spotted this P plate fellow and yes he was in a commodore, he was attempting to turn right at an intersection, he had his seat so far back his head was behind the B pillar, to watch for incoming traffic he had to lean right foward!
Whats the point?!? he looked so serious too with his hat backwards, he meant business!
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #26
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Down here in Geelong it has been raining consistently for the last 24 hrs. I live near a corner and the number of Crapodores that come sideways around the corner is unbelievable. I almost hit one today after he lost it through a round-a-bout. All P platers too. Yes i do see Fords being driven erratically but nowhere near to the extent of the young knobs in there 3.8 Buick VN's. Im over it big time. It seems that you cant go nowhere without seeing a crapodore or staleman tramping it. Has anyone else noticed that they do it in the wet more so than on a dry road.

Last edited by EAadam; 04-11-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 10:14 PM   #27
XHUTE6
Bugger! 1390mm too long!!

I love it!!
My mate and i were driving around the other night. We found ourselves alongside a stock VT with hubcaps on the front and stockies on the back.. well, we were on the right of it so i didn't see the left side. The driver was wearing his white cap backwards and sitting down so low and so far back that i reckon he must've been looking through that small gap between the top of the steering wheel and the dash. the passenger was almost resting his head on the back seat. We decided to copy them to show them how ridiculous they were. They didn't like that much though...

Commodores really do attract that sort of driver don't they?
XHUTE6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 10:20 PM   #28
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8ford351
a guy in a gtp falcon lost it and hit a tree just round the corner from my place the other night. he was apparently trying to fishy the street and over corrected but went side on into a tree dead between the a pillar and b pillar on the drivers side. the tree trunk ended up just hitting the drivers seat but it didn't matter he died.

i own a skyline and i like to play sometimes like anyone else, i also like to think i'm a skilled driver, i've raced cars and understand the physics involved but....

after seeing things like that gtp crash it really wakes you up. i mean it doesn't take much to kill you in a crash.... 20? 40? 60 kph impact the result will most likely be the same....something goes wrong, you slide, you hit the object, your head and neck hit something hard and thats it all over.

go figure....a car travelling at 80kph....a tree a meter wide...add all the angles/distance and variables in between...and he manages to hit the only big tree in the street and with the most deadly impact. It was meant to be his number was up.

if this was the one down victoria street, altona, then yeah wasnt pretty and to go with that you right theres heaps of space and happens to hit the one tree
Sprint_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 07:55 AM   #29
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHUTE6
I love it!!
My mate and i were driving around the other night. We found ourselves alongside a stock VT with hubcaps on the front and stockies on the back.. well, we were on the right of it so i didn't see the left side. The driver was wearing his white cap backwards and sitting down so low and so far back that i reckon he must've been looking through that small gap between the top of the steering wheel and the dash. the passenger was almost resting his head on the back seat. We decided to copy them to show them how ridiculous they were. They didn't like that much though...

Commodores really do attract that sort of driver don't they?
Yeah I have a mate with a "fully sick" VS executive and he has his seat RIGHT back but the funny thing is he sits up straight it's really funny to watch I don't know why he bothers winding it back if he is gunna sit up straight all he does is get a sore back.

Another mate has a "phat" Daihatsu Charade and he winds the seat right back and wears his cap back with sunny's and drives with one hand on the steering wheel like he's driving a Cadillac or something. I'm sure all the chicks at the highschools he circles are turned on by the rap music distrorting through the factory speakers on the fully sick lowrider Daihatsu lol
Old 05-11-2007, 08:24 AM   #30
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Combination of two things -

1) The sheer number of the things on the road, will obviosuly lead to a higher crash rate than lower represented cars.
2) The demographic that purchases these cars - not the smartest in the class.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post