Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-07-2006, 11:16 PM   #1
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Is it logical to have one speed limit for all vehicles?

I was just thinking about the logic of having one speed limit for all vehicles, on any one stretch of road.

You could be driving a brand new Merc with all the latest safety features, a Ferrari (or even a FPV) with huge stoppers, a 120Y, or huge B double truck. All vehicles are legally restricted to identical speed limits.

We have had rammed down our throats the fact that going only 5 kph faster than the speed limit severely increases the risk of accidents or injury etc. Authorities are using this as a reason for us not to speed. Obviously the ferrari and Merc in an emergency would be able to stop in a small fraction of the distance compared to the 120Y, and the B-double would probably just go straight through whatever they were stopping for.

A speed camera would penalise the Merc or Ferrari driver if they were going only 5-10 kph faster than the posted speed limit, but the 120Y or truck can legally travel at the speed limit.

What is the logic in the Ferrari and Merc being limited to the same speed as the truck and 120Y??

Perhaps the large trucks should be limited to only a certain percentage of any posted speed limit, to make speed limits more logical. I know there are a number of truckies on this site that would see RED at this suggestion, but why should they be able to go at the same speed as a high performance sedan when they can't brake, steer or handle nearly as well? Or alternatively, the higher performance cars should be legally able to go a certain percent faster, but I cant see that happening. Or maybe I've missed something.

:

Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 11:32 PM   #2
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
I was just thinking about the logic of having one speed limit for all vehicles, on any one stretch of road.

You could be driving a brand new Merc with all the latest safety features, a Ferrari (or even a FPV) with huge stoppers, a 120Y, or huge B double truck. All vehicles are legally restricted to identical speed limits.

We have had rammed down our throats the fact that going only 5 kph faster than the speed limit severely increases the risk of accidents or injury etc. Authorities are using this as a reason for us not to speed. Obviously the ferrari and Merc in an emergency would be able to stop in a small fraction of the distance compared to the 120Y, and the B-double would probably just go straight through whatever they were stopping for.

A speed camera would penalise the Merc or Ferrari driver if they were going only 5-10 kph faster than the posted speed limit, but the 120Y or truck can legally travel at the speed limit.

What is the logic in the Ferrari and Merc being limited to the same speed as the truck and 120Y??

Perhaps the large trucks should be limited to only a certain percentage of any posted speed limit, to make speed limits more logical. I know there are a number of truckies on this site that would see RED at this suggestion, but why should they be able to go at the same speed as a high performance sedan when they can't brake, steer or handle nearly as well? Or alternatively, the higher performance cars should be legally able to go a certain percent faster, but I cant see that happening. Or maybe I've missed something.
:
A pedestrians bones cannot detect the safety features of the vehicle running him/her over.

Some trucks and buses are already speed limited to 100kph.

If everyone drove within their limitations, that of the vehicle they are driving and the prevailling weather/road conditions, we would have no need for any speed limits or road rules.

I understand the point you are trying to make, but can't see a way to make it workable.

The most important nut in a car is the one behind the steering wheel.
Old 14-07-2006, 11:40 PM   #3
Scott

Whilst you could argue that some cars are capable of more speed, more safely than others, you need to consider that drivers are the huge variable in the equation. Also, having a great handling Ferrari that can brake in 20m at 100kph is of little comfort to the guy in an old Landcruiser that runs into the back of him!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 11:43 PM   #4
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
Whilst you could argue that some cars are capable of more speed, more safely than others, you need to consider that drivers are the huge variable in the equation. Also, having a great handling Ferrari that can brake in 20m at 100kph is of little comfort to the guy in an old Landcruiser that runs into the back of him!
uve just answered the question mate, perfect

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 11:52 PM   #5
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I think I've got it now.

What is the old Landcruiser doing the same speed right behind the Ferrari?

Obviously the nut behind the wheel is the factor I was missing. But then its the ferrari driver thats then going have some discomfort....for having big brakes.
Old 15-07-2006, 09:28 PM   #6
Kryton

ever been out driving and theres some old lady doing 10-15kmh UNDER the speed limit?
have you ever been frustrated by that because there was no where to over take?
do you know that driving slower than the rest of the traffic is MORE dangerous than speeding.
that is what it would be like if different cars had different speed limits.
do some research on truck in america and youll find that they have to travel something like 10-15mph under the speed limit on highways. totally absurd and dangerous. not to mention that it makes drivers angry which inturn makes the road even more dangerous again.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Current speed limits are based on 2 things
a) lowest common denominator (ie crappiest vehicle.. see 120Y)
b) highest possible revenue return (see Bracks speed camera criminal activities)

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 10:25 PM   #8
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

im running off to get to my bomb shelter in time before this thread EXPLODES!!!

and people with big saturday night hangovers may have big opinions... eeek!!!!

LOL

on the subject matter...it just isnt workable...human error and cars built on Mondays and Fridays come into this equation....

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 11:03 PM   #9
fordy-two
Starter Motor

In Italy on the freeways you are allowed to go faster if you have a larger capacity engine, the theory being that the car would also have the brakes/handling etc to cope with more speed. Actually, that is a bit misleading; if you have a smaller engine you have to go slower.

I've read that in Japan they have special tamper proof lights on the dashboard of the trucks. If they go over the speed limit(I don't know how they work this out) the light locks in and they have to go to the police station and pay a fine to get it reset, or face a much bigger fine if they get caught with the light on. Imagine if they brought these in here !
fordy-two is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 11:26 PM   #10
I6corp
Was V6corp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordy-two
In Italy on the freeways you are allowed to go faster if you have a larger capacity engine, the theory being that the car would also have the brakes/handling etc to cope with more speed. Actually, that is a bit misleading; if you have a smaller engine you have to go slower.

I've read that in Japan they have special tamper proof lights on the dashboard of the trucks. If they go over the speed limit(I don't know how they work this out) the light locks in and they have to go to the police station and pay a fine to get it reset, or face a much bigger fine if they get caught with the light on. Imagine if they brought these in here !

You know, the ECU records how many times the speed limiter gets it?

So it wouldnt be too hard!
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Bling Mods: Tinted Windows; JVC CD/DVD HU
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 11:36 PM   #11
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia

:
Well what can I say about this. I suggest you jump into your car and drive down the road at 10-15k's under the speed limit and find out how long it takes for all the other road users to get totally p*ssed off with you for holding them up.As for high performance cars being capable of doing higher speeds,that might be all well and good in theory as long as the person is capable of handling such a car and believe me there are plenty of such cars out there that the owners shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel of them.Some 20 odd years ago trucks were only legally allowed to travel at 80kph and it was just a bloody nightmare as the truck would always be holding the traffic up as they were going 20k's slower than anyone else. So in answer to your theory of different speeds for different vehicles.GET REAL!!!!
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 10:33 AM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordy-two

Already here, the computer in a truck records speeds over 100 as that is what they are speed limited at and the cops can get them for it. It also records how many times it has been over revved and the top speed and revs reached so the company can get you too, if they care. I've seen a read out from an Iveco B-double that had a top recorded speed of 167kph. Scary.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #13
macca13

The only way this would even have a chance is on a dual lane hi-way and the police would really have to be on top of the keep left unless overtaking rule. That said it can work, autobahns are a perfect example but then it takes a lot of training and costs quite a bit to get a licence in germany.
macca13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 06:59 PM   #14
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

I was only thinking about the logic of having the same limit for all vehicles, NOT the practicality of having different speed limits.
I still can't see the logic of having a Ferrari or FPV at 5 kph over the limit being fined, and a truck being only 5 kph less not being fined.

I would much rather be a pedestrian, say 50m in front of the Ferrari, than 50m in front of the truck. (barring driver competency)

In Victoria we have a TAC ad aimed at getting people to reduce speeds, which shows a car doing (I think - shows how much attention I give it, even though its been shown countless times) 60 kph, and another car next to it going 5kph faster. It shows the slower car just making contact with a truck, and the other hitting it somewhat harder. The variability of different vehicles braking distances, also driver reactions, are a big factor in braking distances, and really makes a mockery of this ad.

When I am on the speed limit (plus tolerance so not to get my photo taken), quite often theres a huge truck right on my rear bumper, because he knows where the speed traps are. Why do they get away with this, and I thought they were 100kph speed limited?

Also, it is quite common that trucks are spread completely across 4 or 5 lanes, hindering following traffic as they have reached a rise. I have a small crack in my windscreen courtesy of one of these trucks having thrown up stones from between the dual wheels (it was carrying an escavator).

In England, trucks are restricted to the LH lanes only, and at lower speed limit to other vehicles on the motorways, and this works well. This addresses my thoughts to a certain extent. The keep left unless overtaking is also enforced, and this arrangement also works well. I found that travelling at the 70mph limit, (I found myself on the left lane with much faster vehicles overtaking constantly. It seems they don't enforce the 70mph speed limit as much, except in danger areas. A much more common sense attitude by the authorites. However, on 'A' roads over there, trucks and cars are limited to the same 60mph.

I am sure there is a better way here to control vehicles with consideration to the variability of different vehicle braking and handling capabilities, with the speed limit and which lanes vehicles travel in, than what we have at present. I believe this better control would reduce accidents and improve overall safety on the roads. Whatever the answer is in achieving this, I'm not sure, but the current situation needs looking at. Better driver education and more sensible road design (including lane marking) should definitely also be included in this.