Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
nstg8a

Default Vx Calais s/c V6 opinions?

Yes I realise its a ford forum, but there's some on here that know a bit about the holdens, so I thought I'd ask the question.

Basically I'm looking for a daily to tide me over for the next three or four years, and I'm only looking at spending 6k. Can go to 8k but I'd really prefer not to.

So, I've eyeballed heaps of cars in the last few weeks ( probably a candidate for the 'time waster' thread according to some) and I'm not finding much that really interests me.

But the local cheapie yard has a pretty tidy vx II Calais, with the s/c v6.
Condition wise, its hard to fault, probably a 9/10 considering its age.
It's done 240000 ish Kay's iirc, and they want 5k driveaway.

Il admit, I loved the interior of it, seems like a much classier interior than the equivalent au, exterior wise, its pretty, well. Meh. Inoffensive I guess. Front looks better than the rear.

Il admit I know nothing about the s/c v6s, what are they like? Reliable? I don't need a powerhouse, and it would no doubt stay stock mechanically.

Any obvious flaws in the vx range? Is 240 Kay's a lot for one f these?

Old 12-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
AU Mont
Banned

Default Re: Vx Calais s/c V6 opinions?

the 6's ive heard have their fair share of problems

the only calais' id ever consider are VXII onwards 8's
Old 12-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
AU Mont
Banned

your in brissie? Hard to go past this AUIII Fairmont Ghia as a daily

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...13695286/?Cr=0
3 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Yes I realise its a ford forum, but there's some on here that know a bit about the holdens, so I thought I'd ask the question.

Basically I'm looking for a daily to tide me over for the next three or four years, and I'm only looking at spending 6k. Can go to 8k but I'd really prefer not to.

So, I've eyeballed heaps of cars in the last few weeks ( probably a candidate for the 'time waster' thread according to some) and I'm not finding much that really interests me.

But the local cheapie yard has a pretty tidy vx II Calais, with the s/c v6.
Condition wise, its hard to fault, probably a 9/10 considering its age.
It's done 240000 ish Kay's iirc, and they want 5k driveaway.

Il admit, I loved the interior of it, seems like a much classier interior than the equivalent au, exterior wise, its pretty, well. Meh. Inoffensive I guess. Front looks better than the rear.

Il admit I know nothing about the s/c v6s, what are they like? Reliable? I don't need a powerhouse, and it would no doubt stay stock mechanically.

Any obvious flaws in the vx range? Is 240 Kay's a lot for one f these?
owning a VXII berlina iv never has a problem, cant comment on the super six as I had the eight.
haven't heard a bad word on the eco sixes blown or N/A.
gearbox is strong, diff might be tired at 200,000.
take for a test drive and hard turn left and right (at low speed) listen for clutch chatter from the diff..
Old 12-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
nstg8a

Thanks for the replies guys,

Au mont, I'm not a big au fan, and I'd only consider another one if it was dirt cheap or a ute, certainly couldn't pay 7k for a stock 6 sedan
Old 12-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
ChRiDDa

provided they have been looked after, the ecotec 6's will go for almost ever and a day! Things to look for - Open the oil cap - This will show straight away if the car has been given regular oil changes

Other things to look for as has been mentioned is the diff - They tend to whine a bit, especially if it's been subject to burnouts

Swaybar link bushes (almost equivalent to falcon rose bushes) can sometimes get a little noisy - No biggie though

IRS rear end - Cradle can sometimes crack (super 6's and 8's, especially the lowered variety) - Also on the rear end, if it's lowered, it will chop the insides of tyres out quicksmart - They suffer from negative camber & toe in

Fuel gauge sender units can be a problem - Shows more juice in the tank than what you actually have

Electrical gremlins in the dash - Blown globes, fan speed resistor etc

Overall, not a bad car - Even better if it's been looked after and for 5K!
Old 12-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
nstg8a

This is it
Old 12-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
Dilzzyy
XR6T Member

Hey mate i got vy calais with the same engine . Never had a problem with it since ive owned it .mines only done 120k though.

FG XR6T 50TH ANNIVERSARY SOLD
This user likes this post:
Old 12-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Given the option to go for an LS1 in the same car, I'd go for it.

I nearly bought a S/C VT years back but the potential of the LS motor (even with small mods) swayed me given the extra fuel, rego and insurance costs (not that much extra).
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 12-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #10
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6 View Post
Given the option to go for an LS1 in the same car, I'd go for it.

I nearly bought a S/C VT years back but the potential of the LS motor (even with small mods) swayed me given the extra fuel, rego and insurance costs (not that much extra).
Ls1 commo's in my price range aren't the tidiest, plus the added costs of a v8 (1k a year in rego plus my love of hearing a v8) means for once my head needs to rule. At least a little. 6 or 4 cylinder for this daily.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
atmoxr6

s/c 3.8 ecotech pwr/torque, 171kw/375nm, when new
Old 13-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #12
RAPID_BA
Banned

Ive owned a vx s/c 6 in the past. Great car. Only issue i had was supercharger snout needed replacing at around 100000km due to bearing noise. Very quick cars off the line and unbeatable traffic light to traffic light grand prix. I think at 240000km it would be a little tired though. Spend a bit more and go lower km. The $1000 you save now might cost $3000 tomorrow with repairs.

i currently have a ls1 and love it. If you can stretch to get one, they are awesome. Mine has minimal mods, 230rwkw and flat 13s all day. Be difficult to get that from super6 with minimal mods.
Old 13-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #13
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID_BA View Post
Ive owned a vx s/c 6 in the past. Great car. Only issue i had was supercharger snout needed replacing at around 100000km due to bearing noise. Very quick cars off the line and unbeatable traffic light to traffic light grand prix. I think at 240000km it would be a little tired though. Spend a bit more and go lower km. The $1000 you save now might cost $3000 tomorrow with repairs.

i currently have a ls1 and love it. If you can stretch to get one, they are awesome. Mine has minimal mods, 230rwkw and flat 13s all day. Be difficult to get that from super6 with minimal mods.
What was the economy like?

Performance isn't a concern, and if I get it then it would be left largely stock.

As I mentioned earlier, ls1 isn't an option, rego costs and lack of self control means I'd be filling the sucker up every few days.
At one point I was averaging 250km from a full tank in my old fg.
Old 13-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

They are thirsty and aren't that quick. I'd go an ecotec, better on fuel and less to go wrong.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
4 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #15
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

my AU VCT XR6 manual could pull over 900km from a tank on the highway,650 in town. brilliant car.i personally couldnt go past a Falcon.
4 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #16
Dilzzyy
XR6T Member

I get 480km out of a full tank on mine soo they do use more fuel than the ecotec . Mine has a few bolt on mods ,smaller pulley ,roller rockers, hsv exhaust. There quick off the mark and pack a decent punch. but if fuel is a concern for you id say go the ecotec. I do give mine the odd squirt fairly often though

FG XR6T 50TH ANNIVERSARY SOLD
Old 13-06-2013, 02:13 AM   #17
nstg8a

Economy is only a concern in that if im paying for v8 fuel consumption then I might as well get a v8
Old 13-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #18
RobVee

from my own personal experience i would say avoid anything before VY and after VZ.
Old 13-06-2013, 03:13 AM   #19
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck. Those supercharged ectoecs are expensive to replace when they lunch. $4K for a second hand one, I knew someone who went through it. Sole reason I bought my AUII Forte over a VT Calais S/C.
Old 13-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #20
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
Good luck. Those supercharged ectoecs are expensive to replace when they lunch. $4K for a second hand one, I knew someone who went through it. Sole reason I bought my AUII Forte over a VT Calais S/C.
You can pick a whole motor up with everything between $750 to $1000.

My mates dad has one, done 320000ks. Whines in teh charger, but the thing does not get looked after.
Old 13-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #21
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not cheap to run but a bit of fun ,you can get a good ba and even bf's for that price though,au would not be worth more than $2000 nowadays unless xr6 or 8,
Old 13-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #22
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Au mont, I'm not a big au fan, and I'd only consider another one if it was dirt cheap or a ute, certainly couldn't pay 7k for a stock 6 sedan
youd pay 5k for a high km commodore, but not try to bargain for a low km Au Ghia.? The purpose was a daily or ??

Plus the 'supercharged' commodore has less power & torque than the 'stock 6' of the ghia. Not that performance was an issue according to you?.

Seems like your super keen on this particular car, so i'll tell you what you want to hear...... Yes, buy the supercharged calais, they are a great car, really reliable, and at that price its a steal.
Old 13-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #23
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT View Post
you can get a good ba and even bf's for that price though,au would not be worth more than $2000 nowadays unless xr6 or 8,
quite a hilarious post
Old 13-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #24
AU Mont
Banned

here this one's even cheaper with some more km's

$3500 with standard wheels
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-2134826/?Cr=0
Old 13-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #25
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

If you want a cheap daily for around $5k drive away there's plenty better around than a 240,000km SC Calais, IMHO.
Old 13-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #26
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great cars and much underated imo.

Had one standard for a while and only had the coupler in the charger to replace and coil packs.
Managed to get 230rwkw out of her with air to air intercooling and would smash my mates 260rwkw LS1...great cars out of the whole for what they are at any power level.

They come with forged pistons and are a strong motor...mine had north of 230k and was still showing great comp in all bores.

Only thing I can really push would be a shift kit and deleting of the factory bypass valve for a perky stocker....the shift kit will make the drive allot more pleasurable as well.

Usually the people that bag them haven't owned one or got a lemon...you can get a lemon with any car.

PM me for more questions if you want I am fairly switched on with the flaws etc.

Fuel economy is ok but due to the charger making good power down low its a given you will be on boost rather easily...well I was lol.
Managed around 450kms to the tank un-tuned and then over 500kms once tuned.

Make sure the LIM gasket isn't leaking and charger coupler is quiet....grab the snout pulley by hand and see if their is any play in it.
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
Old 13-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #27
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont View Post
youd pay 5k for a high km commodore, but not try to bargain for a low km Au Ghia.? The purpose was a daily or ??

Plus the 'supercharged' commodore has less power & torque than the 'stock 6' of the ghia. Not that performance was an issue according to you?.

Seems like your super keen on this particular car, so i'll tell you what you want to hear...... Yes, buy the supercharged calais, they are a great car, really reliable, and at that price its a steal.
LOL the V series S/C Commodores when in good standard form will hose a BA never lone a AU mate.

The torque spread of the V6 is great.

Sounds like you have an agenda
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
Old 13-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #28
AU Mont
Banned

agenda? just would like to know the criteria for the daily so as to make an informed opinion

also correction, just checked the specs, and shouldve said same power & torque as the AU 6. How do you figure an 0-100kph in 8 seconds would hose anything? Was simply pointing out performance is the same between the 2.

if he is simply hating on the AU because its ugly, fair enough, but dont say the commo does the job better lol
Old 13-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #29
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont View Post
agenda? just would like to know the criteria for the daily so as to make an informed opinion
Cheap daily =/= performance/drag/race car in my opinion. Saying "It'll smash this or that" or that it is easy to modify doesn't matter if all you're looking for is cheap and reliable.

Yes, it gives you options down the track, but my preferred option would be to buy a better car for more than $5k eventually, rather than modding my cheap daily.
Old 13-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #30
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There not that quick, buffed quite a few in my NA/6 including a mates.

That said anything in good nick, say with a tune of sorts might tell a different story.

Their a decent car for the price, but it depends on the parameters of what is needed really. If it was just a daily a-b car id probably get an AU-BA for sheer reliability.
Closed Thread