Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #1
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Default Drivers running from police *VIC*

Just caught on the news how a young passenger died in a car that was trying to outrun police.

The drivers licence was suspended.

Guess its possible that he thought it worth the risk rather than loosing his car.

Also mentioned was the girl who got killed while riding her motorbike by another driver while trying to escape from the police.

My condolences to both of them.

A police investigator said police pursuit policy will be investigated, maybe they should have a look at the cause of the "nothing-to-loose" mentality in some of these stupid drivers...

The Age article

T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 07:21 PM   #2
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

wtf do they expect with all of the confiscation/imponding laws there are now? of course people will run
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 07:36 PM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
wtf do they expect with all of the confiscation/imponding laws there are now? of course people will run
I guess you didn't read this bit
Christophe Etienne, of Doveton, is charged with culpable driving, dangerous driving, driving while disqualified and two counts of negligently causing a serious injury.

This kid doesn't desearve a car!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its funny how the police always claim they called off the pursuit just seconds before the perpetrators crash. They must have awesome timing.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 07:50 PM   #5
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Its funny how the police always claim they called off the pursuit just seconds before the perpetrators crash. They must have awesome timing.
most of the times that is legit......

think about it......you're being chased by the cops.....sudenly they're not chasing you anymore.......you'd be looking around to find them not concentrating on the road...whamo..
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 08:10 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
most of the times that is legit......

think about it......you're being chased by the cops.....sudenly they're not chasing you anymore.......you'd be looking around to find them not concentrating on the road...whamo..
Possibly, but more likely to cover their own *****.
Old 21-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #7
feebs
BrwnBstd

You can not possibly expect to be able to blame the coppers.

If there was not chasing, then our cars would be getting stolen EVERY DAY, all a crook would have to do is exceed the limit by a few k's to get away from the cops, then dump the car .. NO way.

What is sad is how soft the law is on f***wits who have lost their license thirty seven times, and then kill a couple of poeple etc etc.

Sorry this is such a rant..
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 08:25 PM   #8
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebs

If there was not chasing, then our cars would be getting stolen EVERY DAY, all a crook would have to do is exceed the limit by a few k's to get away from the cops, then dump the car .. NO way.

What is sad is how soft the law is on f***wits who have lost their license thirty seven times, and then kill a couple of poeple etc etc.

no need to be sorry i fully agree with you.......

blaming the cops is such a cop out....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 08:35 PM   #9
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try being a cop your hands are tied and its a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't....its time the cuffs were taken off and coppers left to do their job!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 08:43 PM   #10
BlackLS

Can anybody say "Macquarie Fields"

Although I do think that the MacFields riots were just an excuse for that certain socio-economic group to attack police.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #11
robbo_23

I agree that D***heads who keep on stuffing up again and again should be stopped before they do end up doing the damage. Its not the cops fault that their dangerous driving is actually DANGEROUS.
robbo_23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 09:01 PM   #12
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

I think everyone agrees that those drivers are fools, esp the one in the article who killed that kid.

My point is that they become dangerous fools now, believing that its worth the risk.

Example: In one of the states of the US they made mandatory sentencing of LIFE for rapists. The result= rape cases fell and murder cases jumped as a result of rapists murdering their victims as IT JUST WASNT WORTH THE RISK of being identified.

Sound familiar?
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 09:34 PM   #13
punktured

its sad that people think their license etc is worth more then someones life.. some people should never be aloud on the roads!
punktured is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 09:39 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebs

To clarify my point, i'm not blaming the cops for this. Anyone who tries to outrun them gets what they deserve. Just making an observation that everytime this happens they always claim to have called off the chase right before it happens to avoid the spotlight.
Old 21-07-2006, 09:46 PM   #15
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NO they call off the chase trying to avoid that...read my post....!!!!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 10:56 PM   #16
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
To clarify my point, i'm not blaming the cops for this. Anyone who tries to outrun them gets what they deserve. Just making an observation that everytime this happens they always claim to have called off the chase right before it happens to avoid the spotlight.

bear in mind. 'just before' can be 5 seconds or 15 minutes. It's not in the media's interest, particularly The Age, to be too precise in their reporting. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 11:07 PM   #17
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

cops should be after the actual cars that need defecting and not ours that are modified safly and to proform, who know that a pod filter could do anything but you can get defected for it. if that happned there would be less of this bull sh it.
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 11:10 PM   #18
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
bear in mind. 'just before' can be 5 seconds or 15 minutes. It's not in the media's interest, particularly The Age, to be too precise in their reporting. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
Precisely.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 11:19 PM   #19
XR8Rebel2001
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb91xr6
cops should be after the actual cars that need defecting and not ours that are modified safly and to proform, who know that a pod filter could do anything but you can get defected for it. if that happned there would be less of this bull sh it.
No, if there were less people on the road who thought that the law shouldn't apply to them then there would be "less of this bull sh it".
Old 21-07-2006, 11:50 PM   #20
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This happened @200 metres from my place, woke me up too (bugger). Looking over the carnage today (the skid marks are all painted with lil yellow lines) the driver has straight-lined the roundabout, my best guess is he'd be doing @100+ kph, become airborne, then clipped the pole. What I find interesting is, as a local, this baboon would have known about this roundabout, it's my belief he was glancing in the rear view mirror at the (closely) "pursuing" police vehicle & mis-judged his approach. It's not uncommon for the police to tear past here at more than 100 kph with school kids everywhere at 3.30 in the afternoon (it's a 50 kph zone) why would they "call the pursuit off" at 12.00am with barely any traffic???
I wish they'd tell it like it is, this "defensive" approach taken by the police heirachy recently is merely to appease the public & frankly only encourages these idiots to try to run, thinking the police will end a pursuit if it looks too dangerous.
Old 21-07-2006, 11:56 PM   #21
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Can anybody say "Macquarie Fields"

Although I do think that the MacFields riots were just an excuse for that certain socio-economic group to attack police.

OH NO, they'll leave a burning mattress on the street again. What a shame
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 12:02 AM   #22
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
OH NO, they'll leave a burning mattress on the street again. What a shame
Thats MacFields every night
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 12:21 AM   #23
Bobman
Regulator

It's a bit of a worry if pursuits are becoming more common, although at the end of the day the offender's usually get caught.

There was one just the other week, 20 year old driving a stolen Nissan 300ZX escapes from intercept, drives on wrong side of Nepean highway, drives on footpath and crashes on train tracks in Cheltenham, hijacks another car and continues.

From the pursuits I've seen from my own eyes most are conducted in a professional manner however the adrenalin rush does set in with some officer's & there is disappointment if the pursuit controller abandons the chase.

Considering this was a freeway chase they should have set up a roadblock further up & the car would have nowhere to go. It's a sad loss of life, but they were possibly spooked by headlights (thinking it was a police car behind them) and continued at high speed.

Around 10 years ago there were a few fatal pursuits, namely Flinders Street Bridge & Waverley Road, Malvern East which resulted in a major outcry regarding pursuits.

To the person above saying : If pursuits are stopped car thieves will get away, umm mate ? They do, any car driving dangerously or crashing red lights and posing a danger to members or the general public, usually police WILL back off and not engage pursuit & follow at a great distance behind, or usually return for a de-brief at the divisional HQ.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 01:48 AM   #24
feebs
BrwnBstd

Bobman

Is it just me, or did your six paragraphs contradict each other..?

About a month ago a car passed a cop in South Pert near the zoo, speeding. Cops made chase. Car pulled over to right hand side of the road.. Cops called off chase of eased of a bit.

200 m later he smacked into a couple of cars waiting at a set of lights and killed a father of two.

The ENTIRE chase was 1500meters.

There is absolutely NO blame on the police there whatsoever, an no one should be making an outcry about poice chases.

Sad fact is that poeple committing that sort of crime will get off very lightly.

I am not stikler for the law, love giving my car some gas on a main highway away from houses etc.. I just hate seeing media blame the police for the kind of crap above...
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 02:11 AM   #25
Bobman
Regulator

Lol where's the contradiction?

The media's outcry over the pursuits is somewhat similar to the outcry every time an offender is shot by a police officer, ie "police shootings on the rise" etc.

If only the justice system matched the offence all the hard work by police in some criminal cases would not be wasted. You should not be given a harsher penalty for (e.g) speeding as opposed to assaulting someone or animal cruelty etc...

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 02:20 AM   #26
EFFalcon
Last warning

there will be more of this too.... stupid new laws are gunna make things worse.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 06:59 AM   #27
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
I wish they'd tell it like it is, this "defensive" approach taken by the police heirachy recently is merely to appease the public & frankly only encourages these idiots to try to run, thinking the police will end a pursuit if it looks too dangerous.
I couldn't agree with you more dok.

But, if you look at the postings and talk about this topic amongst some mates I think you'll find that its not the public that they're trying to appease. Most people I've spoken to about this have agreed that its not the cops fault that these morons flee and crash. Its the morons fault. The media (as mentioned) and the grieving family need to blame someone and the police get the short end of it too often.

This idea of getting the police to end a chase is ridiculous. I haven't heard of many successful outcomes of ending a chase early. If the moron gets away then that just allows them to do it again and again.

WHERE IS THE DETERRANT????????

Too often the stories we read about are horrific and the punishments handed out are pathetic. Morons walk away after maiming, killing and ruining lives with a slap on the wrist and a fine.

Fix the laws and ammend the punishments to suit the crime, maybe then my family and yours will be safe on the roads.
cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 07:56 AM   #28
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
They say this for legal reasons. In this way they cannot be held accountable for 'contributing' to the accident.

I don't blame the police. They are stuck in a no win situation. Either they catch the offender or they let them go. The later is not a feasible option as the police must perform their duty.

An idea is to fit police cars with a device which emits cetain frequencies to disrupt the pursued vehicles electronics and cause the car to either slow or stop (i.e. EMC disruption). Any electrical engineers willing to comment on whether such a device could work?

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 08:26 AM   #29
8pAc
RDP #181

WOuld it be possibel to shoot the car with some sort of taser and fry the electrical systems?
Camrys like most Toyotas have always been ugly, poorly equiped & brain crushingly dull but that's what a lot of people look for in a car unfortunately. I like my fridge, it keeps my beer cold other people like them so much they want to drive them it seems.
8pAc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 08:40 AM   #30
Nappa
Impressive...

the idiot driving the car would probably have crashed anyway, regardless of if the police were in pursuit, he was recorded at 100km over the speed limit on a public road...... need i say more.

I welcome the new hoon laws to take away these d##K H##Ds potential deadly weapons