Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-07-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Default Mitsubishi 380

Well it's here the new magna's got a name. What me knew as PS41 & thought would be called 'Galant' is going to be called the '380' to refelect it's 3.8L motor. It supposed to make it sound like a large car, I suppose to make it seem more powerful then commodore :gren: .

Anyway they put it up on the website
http://www.engineeredtoexcite.com.au/main.html

380 doesn't seem to bad, better than 'Galant'. Too bad it doesnt stand for 380hp like the old day

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:27 PM   #2
Kryton

well Galant gives me bad flashbacks of old crappy cars, but 380 sounds like a van to me.
surely they could have come up with something better.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:33 PM   #3
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree that Galant wasn't the best choice but Mitsubishi 380?! Makes it sound like a truck...

They spend 20 years building a brand name (Magna), only to ditch it for a numerical title thats in danger of being superceded within 5 years. What happens to any models that have a different engine - do we suddenly forget all about the 380 in favour of the all new 385 or 390? Numerical names may work for Mercedes and BMW, but I don't know about Mitsubishi...
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
... 380 sounds like a van to me.
Lol, you beat me to it Davway!
Old 04-07-2005, 06:38 PM   #5
andrew_smith_84
my one day build...

who is replacing the magna, Nissan or Mitsubishi???

180, 280, 300

even 120Y, 280B
andrew_smith_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:42 PM   #6
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

That website is THE most sleep inducing effort I have seen in quite some time. Looks like a very very poor attempt to copy the frustratingly slow BA "drip feed" campaign.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:52 PM   #7
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree, though at least Ford had a few pics on the site to give you an idea about the vehicle.
The Mitsubishi site has a picture of a rear seatbelt, an engine badge and a closeup of 2 side windows. Not exactly tempting stuff...
Old 04-07-2005, 07:14 PM   #8
Steffo
LPG > You

Mitsubishi 380... and here I was thinking this was a new replacement for the Express L300...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:07 PM   #9
The Taipan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I notice that they have dropped the frameless windows...

Power is going to be big.

380 means absolutely nothing to me, but I guess that is the advantage here is exactly that - Galant or Magna have plenty of images before you even see the car, but 380 is - as I see it an advantage for them.

I think this is a car which may be a dark horse in terms of deisgn, and performance, but I don't think the sheep will notice because it doesn't have a Lion on the bonnet (or a "T" for that matter).

Personally I don't like Mitsubishi's at all (possible exception some individual models of Lancer EVO's) - but I think I'd certainly be swayed enough to take a look at this thing when it does come out. At the end of the day my blood's blue through and through, but I like to know what I am missing out on.
The Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:17 PM   #10
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
I agree that Galant wasn't the best choice but Mitsubishi 380?! Makes it sound like a truck...

They spend 20 years building a brand name (Magna), only to ditch it for a numerical title thats in danger of being superceded within 5 years. What happens to any models that have a different engine - do we suddenly forget all about the 380 in favour of the all new 385 or 390? Numerical names may work for Mercedes and BMW, but I don't know about Mitsubishi...
Don't forget that DaimlerChrysler is a major partner. http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/dccom...-0-0-0,00.html

My first thought was 'it'll never work, people like names', but the more i think about it, it may be MMAL best chance of breaking the mold and becoming a different entity.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:01 PM   #11
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:

Don't mind the name myself. Yes, they have 20 years of Magna name and herritage, but for what? What sort of mental image does Magna give you? A little different from Falcon, Monaro or Commodore isn't it?

Numerical names arne't anything new, just look at the Chrysler 300. Now there is a kick **** numerically named car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:05 PM   #12
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
It supposed to make it sound like a large car, I suppose to make it seem more powerful then commodore :gren: .
i thought it was suppose to actually have more power the the commodore (or falcon) ... could be wrong - but that's been the rumor... I mean, it's mitsubishi, wouldn't be the first time they've had the best quality local 6cyl engine...
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:32 PM   #13
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Datsun/Nissan - 240z, 260z, 280zx, 300zx, 350z... In japan they were called "Fairlady", however they were marketed to the 'western' market as a number as they felt that, Americans in particular, wanted an exciting sounding code name as opposed to a soft name like fairlady (which I believe was inspired from "My Fair Lady").

Mitsubishi seems to be using the same logic and with good reason, as smincer said earlier Magna, Galant and (hehehe) Sigma don't exactly evoke any real passion. For me, a number, is a really good start.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:00 PM   #14
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its their most powerful car ever so expect power to be north of 180kw (ralliart)
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:05 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Zed represent! Also though the Zeds are sports cars. The magna is a family car not exactly the type of car to be associated with that sort of naming. I mean its like if they called the falcon a R54 or something like that. Just doesnt suit it.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:05 PM   #16
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone know the torque figures?
Old 04-07-2005, 11:12 PM   #17
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_smith_84
180, 280, 300

even 120Y, 280B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven
Datsun/Nissan - 240z, 260z, 280zx, 300zx, 350z...
I agree the numerical names have been used before, but all the cars mentioned above were designed to be short-run only. Compare this to the Falcon (45 years), Commodore (27 years) and even the Magna (20 years).
This new car is going to have the hope of MMAL on its shoulders for a looong time, and I personally think it needs a "normal" name (not necessarily Magna or Galant) which can be carried over consecutive series/models.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:16 PM   #18
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I agree the numerical names have been used before, but all the cars mentioned above were designed to be short-run only. Compare this to the Falcon (45 years), Commodore (27 years) and even the Magna (20 years).
This new car is going to have the hope of MMAL on its shoulders for a looong time, and I personally think it needs a "normal" name (not necessarily Magna or Galant) which can be carried over consecutive series/models.
What about the Beemers & Mercs? They're stilll using the same numerical numbers from the 60's, with the occasional two digit change for engine size.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:43 PM   #19
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, I mentioned them in an earlier post (and by the way, what is it with the Germans and their inability to actually name a car instead of number it?). Of course there are other manufacturers who use numerical names for their cars.
What I'm saying is that what works for them won't necessarily work for Mitsubishi. I think if you're releasing a locally built car into the Australian market, a name is better than a number.
Just my 2c...
Old 04-07-2005, 11:45 PM   #20
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
Anyone know the torque figures?
Probably around about 350-360 I think.

Not that it matters that much being a fwd car :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpoint
Mitsubishi Australia (MMAL) has announced details of the powerplant that will take pride of place under the bonnet of its new PS41. The all-new Magna replacement, the PS41 is set for release at the Sydney International Motor Show in October.

Continuing its 'real-time' drip-feed of details, the South Australian based carmaker revealed the engine vitals in media briefings this week. However, while architecture, displacement, bore and stroke and key systems were profiled, the maker was reluctant to reveal final power and torque figures, citing ongoing certification in the lead up to mass production of the new car.

What is for certain is that the 3.8 litre SOHC 24-valve fuel-injected V6 will have stats comparable to Holden and Ford's 'big' sixes – at the very least!

According to Lee Kernich, Mitsubishi engineering head, the new powerplant boasts better specific output than the engine it replaces. Specific output is a measure of kilowatts per litre – and at 163kW from 3.5lt in non-Ralliart 'cooking' model form, the outgoing engine is no slouch. With an extra 300cc and, say, a 5 per cent improvement in efficiency, the new engine could top 185kW! Use the Ralliart version's 180kW at 5500rpm output as a starting point and the peak power's closer to 210kW mark!

With the new engine featuring an innovative 'Torque Demand' biased Bosch engine management system (including fly-by-wire throttle and multi-bit high-speed processor) Kernich, was, however, happy to quote torque figures... Better than 300Nm from 1500-5500rpm is the verdict. By way of comparison the current Magna/Verada V6s peak in the 310-320Nm range.

The new engine, though based on the powerplant developed for the US market PS41 Galant, is bespoke for the Australian car, says MMAL. As noted above, capacity has been boosted to 3828cc by virtue of a 2mm increase in bore and a 4.2mm boost in stroke (to 95 x 90mm). Compression has been upped to 10:1 but the engine management system is advanced enough to allow the car to perform to its optimum on any unleaded fuel. Go to the expense of premium and you'll get better power, and likely, better fuel economy is the claim.

The first of the locally manufactured cars required to comply with tougher emission and noise regulations introduced this year, the PS41 features a unique version of Bosch's ME7 engine management system. Along with all-new exhaust and intake architecture and myriad detailed improvements this should ensure the new powerplant is the quietest and cleanest engine to debut in an Aussie big six.

Developed collaboratively with Robert Bosch and extensively tested in Australia, Japan, Germany and Switzerland, Mitsubishi claims the system features a highly efficient 'torque-demand' method of determining engine variables, such as throttle valve position, injection time and ignition timing. Compared to a conventional system, this set-up delivers precise torque control in response to driver and system demands for what the maker says "unparalleled drivability under all conditions."

Other developments incorporated in the new powerplant include: Control Area Network (CAN) to link all major electronic control modules; a returnless fuel supply system designed to reduce heat build-up in the fuel tank; high technology 12-hole fuel injectors; fuel pump module which integrates pump, fuel filter, pressure regulator and fuel-gauge sender into one in-tank assembly; and Ralliart Magna derived cam profiles and valve gear.

Fleet buyers will be interested to know that versions of the powerplant feature LPG-compatible internals while performance fans should note that all engines get a sturdy ladder-frame main-bearing support and four-bolt mains. The engines destined for manual transmission versions of the PS41 get uprated cranks as well. According to Kernich, the bottom end of the engine is very, very robust...

What price a blown XR6T competitor then? No turbo said Kernich, but a supercharged version? Don't bet against it in the long term.

Last edited by Dave_au; 04-07-2005 at 11:56 PM.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:20 AM   #21
Street Sleeper

380... so thats one doughnut plus another 20 degrees in cirle work terms.

:P
Street Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:42 AM   #22
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Falcon_XR6
I mean, it's mitsubishi, wouldn't be the first time they've had the best quality local 6cyl engine...
Mitsubishi had the best quality local 6cyl engine.. when was this!?!?!?

:
Old 05-07-2005, 12:46 AM   #23
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the name its kinda edgy and sounsd like 360 so it might have youth appeal.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:50 AM   #24
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV
I like the name its kinda edgy and sounsd like 360 so it might have youth appeal.
They just got to make sure they stick it in reverse lol.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:50 AM   #25
Pik0

There never going to make serious inroads into the Australian Market (in terms of the Family sedan) unless its rear wheel drive... I dont know how many guys in there late teens early 20's who want a big family sedan thats rear wheel drive so you can really see how far you can get the back to step out... Instead its see how close you can get before ploughing into the side of the road because of all the understeer... And front wheel drive burnouts arent really that cool...
Coming Soon:
Lowering
Pik0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:54 AM   #26
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pik0
And front wheel drive burnouts arent really that cool...
Lol i beg to differ. Ive seen some quite good ones.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:32 AM   #27
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With all the talk of power being north of 180kw how the hell is this going to get to the ground through a FWD platform? I thought the previous version of the Magna were supposed to be pushing the limits of the FWD platform power wise.

And why still SOHC and not DOHC?
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 09:34 AM   #28
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
And why still SOHC and not DOHC?
Cheaper, lighter.. and there's no need for DOHC. I'll bet this engine carries over alot from the old one, Mitsubishi isn't exactly in the position to be developing new stuff..

:
Old 05-07-2005, 10:00 AM   #29
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Mitsubishi had the best quality local 6cyl engine.. when was this!?!?!?
First the VR-X with 163kw, then the 180kw Ralliart...

When Mitsubishi Released the Ralliart:

Mitsubishi: 3.5L V6 180kw
Holden: 3.8L V6 Supercharged 171kw
HSV: 3.8L V6 Supercharged 180kw
Ford: 4.0L I6 VCT 172kw

Not to mention the 180kw Ralliart engine was named one of the top 10 engines of the decade.

Mitsubishi have awlays had trouble with their cars - but their V6 engines have always been quality.

Do I need to mention the V6 Magna Ralliart (V6 FWD) was faster than the AU1 XR8 (V8 RWD) when it was released? Or that the VR-X was a much better car than the AU1 XR6? Not just in speed...

Or are you going to pull more BS because you're ****ed off we're not blowing the horn of Ford at the moment?

Sorry, I know it's a ford forum and don't get me wrong - i'll always have Ford as my number 1 brand. But Mitsubishi have done some good stuff over the years (be it very infrequently) and deserve credit for when they have produced good vehicles (or good engines)... Rather than just slaming them becuase they don't have the Ford badge :sm_headba

Ok, i'll stop the rant now :the_finge
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 10:03 AM   #30
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smciner1
.........Numerical names arne't anything new, just look at the Chrysler 300. Now there is a kick **** numerically named car.
Yeah the new Mitsubishi Sluggo 380 will sound pretty tough up against the Likes of Boss 260 and Boss 290, but wont they get a horrid surprise to go along with those 48 monthly payments... :the_finge
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote