Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-07-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Default Chinese car for uinder 10 grand

Hey guys, does anyone have any info on some Chinese car they are planning on importing into Australia with a sub 10K sticker price? There was a bit on the news but I didn't catch it.

charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 10:17 PM   #2
buickman
buickman

They look a bit like the current Toyota Corolla but cheap & nasty. They have not met ADR standeds as yet could be 3 years away before the POS hit our shores to buggar up the used car prices. I won't buy one no matter how cheap they are
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
krt10
eskyman

there so cheap because they use crappy parts and their workers get paid like 10cents an hour or somthing.
krt10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 12:38 AM   #4
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt10
there so cheap because they use crappy parts and their workers get paid like 10cents an hour or somthing.
and a bowl of rice.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 01:03 AM   #5
EF GHIA
Starter Motor

I only herd about these cheep cars off the grape vine. But lets face it, unless your in the market for a car 2lt or under squasch box is it really going to affect the mid to family size car market
EF GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 07:28 AM   #6
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When they do show up at least we'll have a consistent wooden-spooner for the NCAP (?) crash testing results ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 07:44 AM   #7
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Didn't they already make a copy of the land cruiser called the Landwind?
It did so poorly in the crash test that you were more likely to be injured in an accident inside it than being hit by a car on the street. I believe they used normal glass, not laminate, and the whole exterior/interior folded quicker than the french army.

Of course though, some renegade dead****s will buy it and push our insurance premiums up when they are severely injured in an accident.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 07:59 AM   #8
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tha Landwind is/was based on the Isuzu Frontera not the Land Cruiser. It failed the European NCAP tests convincinly. (At least the company has something to crow about!)
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 08:34 AM   #9
mash85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Didn't they already make a copy of the land cruiser called the Landwind?
It did so poorly in the crash test that you were more likely to be injured in an accident inside it than being hit by a car on the street. I believe they used normal glass, not laminate, and the whole exterior/interior folded quicker than the french army.

Of course though, some renegade dead****s will buy it and push our insurance premiums up when they are severely injured in an accident.
wholey **** they used normal glass and not laminate? i didnt think they were even allowed to to do that anymore. thats disgraceful. i really hope they arent allowed on the market like that
mash85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 08:37 AM   #10
mash85

even crappy, there will be a ****load of people that buy these. under 10K is pretty amazing for a new car. ull get people buying them that couldnt normally afford a new car, others for use as a second car. just like the old excel etc, but with fuel prices out of control, it'll only help this car more.
mash85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 09:03 AM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even the most stupid person has got to realize that a new car under 10k isn't worth their life. Sure I paid 4k for my second hand car, but I think it was something like 27k when new.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #12
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

http://landwind.bootnetworks.com/

ouch!

http://paultan.org/archives/2005/10/...ssenger-cabin/
http://paultan.org/archives/2005/10/...-outside-view/
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 09:45 AM   #13
BlackLS

And we though the Barina/Kalos was bad enough
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 10:44 AM   #14
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I just wanted to hear some more info. I have ZERO intention of buying such a POS, nor should anyone else with an ounce of common sense.
Old 13-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #15
tufLTD
tufLTD

Considering some people bought Lada's, Daewoo's, Excel's, etc, I'm sure these vehicles will sell over here. There's always a market for cheap crap, just look at the dollar shops all over the place. Unfortunately, we live in a disposable society where cheapness is more important than the quality to a lot of consumers.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #16
NEG
Diabolus

Owch!
That F150 didnt look to good either.
NEG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #17
marcosambrose

that volkswagen didnt even have any intrusive damage to the interior of the car...

thats why european cars are what they are!
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 11:40 AM   #18
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

that airbag in the video did sweet f all... wasnt that at 64km/hr or something....
bloody hell i dont want one of those hitting me either, i would hate to be fairly well of in an accident and see one of those crumple and people die.

I dont know how the manufacturer would sleep at night, let alone the car salesman who promotes and suggests to people to buy it...hope it never gets here....

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 01:06 PM   #19
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash85
even crappy, there will be a ****load of people that buy these. under 10K is pretty amazing for a new car. ull get people buying them that couldnt normally afford a new car, others for use as a second car. just like the old excel etc, but with fuel prices out of control, it'll only help this car more.
This is exactly what stufffed the used car market last time, people will by them as opposed to bying a 2ndd hand corolla or simular, then in 5 yrs when the warranty expires and the thing is a pos worth nothing they will go back trade in on a new one and it starts all over again.
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #20
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
This is exactly what stufffed the used car market last time, people will by them as opposed to bying a 2ndd hand corolla or simular, then in 5 yrs when the warranty expires and the thing is a pos worth nothing they will go back trade in on a new one and it starts all over again.
You gotta love the Yanks for setting the precedent.
Old 13-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #21
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow..

That F150 was awful as well, same with the isuzu.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 03:00 PM   #22
Kryton

this could all be the start for the push to have all cars over 10-15 years old off our roads just like they have in china (i think china???). this has been sitting on the back bench for a long time and the main argument against it was that a high number of people would be disadvantaged as they couldnt afford a newer car. if these hit our shores there isnt much reason why anyone couldnt afford a car less than 15 years old.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 03:18 PM   #23
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

:
Old 13-07-2006, 03:32 PM   #24
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OMFG!
Old 13-07-2006, 04:23 PM   #25
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

I belive those chinese cars don't use things like collapsable steering colums. Which is extremely basic, cheap and easy to make. These things are less safe than a early 1960 falcon.

You would have to find wooden frame, wood spoke wheels and canvas tyres to find something comparibly deadly.

A $500 Commodore would be way safer and better built.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #26
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
I dont know how the manufacturer would sleep at night
It's capitalist hegemony and something that's a concept that's relatively new to china. We (we - being developed nations) have "been there/done that", but now our corporations (usually by the forceful hand of government) now realise that "the people" wont accept a compromise between safety and dollars. Profit at nearly all costs... developed nations have drawn the line, but devloping nations can not yet afford such a luxury.

However, those of us in glass houses...

The Ford Pinto is a classic case study in this sort of thing. Ford motor company knew there was a problem with the fuel tank and in a rear impact, would often spill the contents of the tank into the passenger area. They calculated the cost of fitting a $1 rubber bladder to the tank to prevent this from happening. They also calculated how much it would cost to compensate the families for the number of people they "expected" to die as a result of this. The cost of compensation was lower that fixing the fuel tanks - so that's what they did.

A lot of people died. Typically young people who were buying these cars. Ford was found out when a note of the decision was leaked by a whistleblower.

This is not a concept yet grasped by developing nations. See the kyoto protocol for further examples of this.
Old 13-07-2006, 04:44 PM   #27
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like chinese take-out but a chinese car im not convinced. Look how far the Korean cars have become over the years as opposed to the Japenese cars but there still not there if I dinnt have the Falcon id much rather a Honda,Mazda or Toyota. Than a Hyundai or Kia. Id hate to think how far the Chinese's car is behind Kia?

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 10:15 AM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I've heard the Chinese are flat out just trying to provide cars for their local market, so we won't be getting our market flooded with cheap chinese cars for a few years yet as they are just trying to keep up with demand for themselves, but how long it will take for that to change isn't known. If they crash that poorly they should be banned for sale.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 10:21 AM   #29
Falcon Freak
Banned

GM China will be building a car in 2007 codenamed SGM710. This car will surprise people.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 10:36 AM   #30
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEG
Owch!
That F150 didnt look to good either.
you get that when you throw 2-3 tonnes at a wall.
now do a head on with the F250 and the VW and we'll see which car would be "safer" im pretty sure they've already done a test on this actually.

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust
After market alpine/soundstream stereo

18" tyhpoons
superlows waiting to go in....
spoilerless
16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post