Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Do you think carshows should have bigger trophies and more catergories
Yes 30 76.92%
No 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
notty1978
NOTTY

Wink Trophies at carshows

How come most car shows have little trophies and only 1st place
why cant they have 2nd and 3rd place and more catergries
It seems to be the bigger the show the smaller the trophies and the smaller the show the bigger the trophies.

What does everyone think

notty1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

With the bigger shows they can only have so many judges. So if ya got 2nd and 3rd to worry about it's just more stuffing around. Thats what i think, i may be wrong.

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
XAGSV8
Member 178

Maybe a few more in the people's choice section. Maybe the cost of all the trophies is a little high as well.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Trophie for 1st and some ribbons for 2nd and 3rd!! lol
Na trophies should be for all three places!!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
Dodge
i like to be stroked

should give gas coupons, i would like to show u what do with a 5 dollar bit of plastic crap. anyway most of the time the poor try hard guy who struggles to keep his car running and looking sweet always misses out to the fat computer geek with to much money to burn
Old 05-03-2006, 07:35 PM   #6
Philbie
Drvtme

As a trophy shop owner - the majority of people do not want to spend money on other people........

Sad as it is - it's the facts.

What on earth is going on!........i’m Back in the ford camp.....#2019
Philbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
Stig

Shoulda split that question... I think bigger trophies, but less categories...

The last show I was at, there was a huge trestle table with zillions of small trophies... I thought to myself there are so many categories, I could enter a toilet seat and win something... It kind of takes the special-ness away...
Old 05-03-2006, 07:55 PM   #8
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

I saw how tropheys were made the other day cause i had to pick up some. I tell ya what gives ya new respect for them

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 08:06 PM   #9
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Certificates of appreciation are better. everyone gets one and its not much, but its acknowledgement for making the effort to come along.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 08:20 PM   #10
Group C

Trophy costs to high?? Not in my opinion.

I have just done all the work for my 'other' car club's show n shine, and the trophies (plaques). while basic, were $16 each, including the engraving.
I would call that cheap.
Personally, I just think the show scene is driven by promoters/organisers that are more interested in turning as big a profit as possible, instead of encouraging more people to get involved now and in the future.

We had each category sponsored by a company (that are owned/operated by club members. The trophy cost is a write of anyway, to a degree).
There may have been only 4 categories, but it's only a small club with 3 basic forms of car, and an encouragement award was also given.

If a show has trophies, this could be included/covered in the entry fee that each entrant pays. AFD was $20 a car, FPV day was $2 a car, for example. If 500 cars turn up, at $5 each, that would mean a ИИИИload for trophies, and other costs.

IMHO and experience, people will only bring their car along a few times if they constantly win nothing, but will come back time and time again if rewarded.
And we all know that the death of ANY car show is not enough cars entered.
Smaller trophies mean less production costs for each, meaning more trophies can be made on the same amount of money, ensuring a health attendance at future events.
Group C is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 08:30 PM   #11
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Well I am not to sure about bigger trophies but certainly more categories will entice more people.

Most of the shows I have entered have been UTE and it is quite nice to bring home a small trophy, the benifit of having more categories is that more people go home with that feeling.

I have sponsored a couple of these things and it is quite amazing the feedback from winners. I have generally only offered small things and only obscure categories, like best mags, nicest steelies, lowest, best decals, most original, --------, the point is everyone likes to be a winner, and the more winners the happier everyone is.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:46 PM   #12
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
should give gas coupons, i would like to show u what do with a 5 dollar bit of plastic crap. anyway most of the time the poor try hard guy who struggles to keep his car running and looking sweet always misses out to the fat computer geek with to much money to burn
Or the person who is popular or friends with the judges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group C
IMHO and experience, people will only bring their car along a few times if they constantly win nothing, but will come back time and time again if rewarded.
I've been in about 6 car shows now and have won nothing. I get so many people looking at my car and commenting on how they used to own one or a friend that owned one and what they got up to in it. I get my satisfaction out of this. One thing that gets to me though is cars that get most original when they have been worked to the max when mine is sitting there with 27000 original miles and only a dual exhaust done to it.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia

Last edited by XAGSV8; 05-03-2006 at 08:52 PM.
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 08:52 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Certificates of appreciation are better. everyone gets one and its not much, but its acknowledgement for making the effort to come along.
agreed bucky, and thats why we had em at AFD, and will do so again this yr. I think trophies only add unncessary rivalry to a show, and personally id go to a car show to share my car and see some other nice rides - not come away with something. if that happens its a bonus, nothing more.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:04 PM   #14
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

FPV don't give out trophies anymore on their open day,it just got too political.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 09:18 PM   #15
notty1978
NOTTY

all the car shows i have been to its been a expensive to enter the car, and you get little trophies sometimes you dont even get anything because they have very little catergories, or the judges know the owners of the cars.
if you pay little money to enter your car there are big trophies more catergories and everyone enjoys themselves.
the sponsors of the car shows are to help pay for half of the trophies and the other half is covered by enrty fee.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:47 PM   #16
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I like the idea of Bucky's, just like Austin did at the AFD, encouragement certificates for everyone and another certificate if you win. That way the importance of trophies is reduced but you still have respect for the winners. People dont go on a trophy binge where my car is better than yours because its won this and that and has its own trophy cabinet. A little token as an award is nice. I got a '33 Ford model when I won an award, and I honestly prefer that to a trophy.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 08:05 AM   #17
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Bigger trophies not the best answer but more categories and more placings in each is a better way to go. Also judging the car for what it is, and not judging to be fair to everyone, if you have the best car on the day you should win what it deserves not share out the prizes so everyone gets one so no one feels left out. :sm_headba
agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 08:13 AM   #18
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I think that some shows need to fairer in their trophies. Why invite a whole range of clubs and then limit awards to some clubs due to the content of their names.........
Old 06-03-2006, 08:55 AM   #19
xwgthoe

Hey Red what are you trying to say....
xwgthoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 11:06 AM   #20
Group C

I know EXACTLY what he's saying.
The FPV day club trophy is only awarded to a club that has 'FPV' in it's name, so the ORSM club was excluded straight away.

And I agree with Redrum. Why ask clubs to attend, then exclude them from the awards before they even get there??
I would have thought that the 'Best Club' award should go to the BEST CLUB, regardless of the club name, simple as that.

Anyway Red, you guys still wouldn't have won mate, coz you didn't bring your Hawaiian shirts and blow-up palm trees...
Old 06-03-2006, 11:17 AM   #21
BJ
Banned

I think most people have missed the point of the car show. Its not the size of the trophy that is important its the quality of the cars that turn up. I have won my fair share of trophy's over the years and quite frankly they mean nothing to me, i didn't Enter the event in the hope of winning one. All cars shows are the same you may think you have the best but that doesnt guarantee you a prize. I know of one of the country's top hot rod builders who couldn't give two stuffs for all the trophy's he has won over the years. As for your poll if you don't like disappointment don't enter.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 11:25 AM   #22
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group C
I know EXACTLY what he's saying.
The FPV day club trophy is only awarded to a club that has 'FPV' in it's name, so the ORSM club was excluded straight away.

And I agree with Redrum. Why ask clubs to attend, then exclude them from the awards before they even get there??
I would have thought that the 'Best Club' award should go to the BEST CLUB, regardless of the club name, simple as that.

Anyway Red, you guys still wouldn't have won mate, coz you didn't bring your Hawaiian shirts and blow-up palm trees...
Heheheh. Don't get me wrong. I am honestly not cut up and think the award went to the best display. Just when I heard the rules thought was pretty ordinary. I wrote to FPV and this was their reply.

Jason,
In response to the email you sent through this morning, I would like to thank you for your comments on the FPV Family Open Day.
As for your query about the award, this year is the first time we have presented the David Flint Perpetual Trophy - which is the best presented club award. As David is the man responsible for Tickford vehicles and FPV, it is our decision to only award this trophy for clubs that are affiliated with these vehicles.
If you require any more information, please let me know.
Cheers

Andrew MacLean
Communications Manager
Ford Performance Vehicles
P: (03) 9300 7260
F: (03) 9300 7302
M: 0416 200 646
E: amaclean@fpv.com.au
www.fpv.com.au

Next year we might all dress up as eskimos or something.......
Old 06-03-2006, 11:46 AM   #23
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
anyway most of the time the poor try hard guy who struggles to keep his car running and looking sweet always misses out to the fat computer geek with to much money to burn
And who's that pointed at i wonder
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 01:19 PM   #24
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
I think most people have missed the point of the car show. Its not the size of the trophy that is important its the quality of the cars that turn up. I have won my fair share of trophy's over the years and quite frankly they mean nothing to me, i didn't Enter the event in the hope of winning one. All cars shows are the same you may think you have the best but that doesnt guarantee you a prize. I know of one of the country's top hot rod builders who couldn't give two stuffs for all the trophy's he has won over the years. As for your poll if you don't like disappointment don't enter.

mate but people do enter only to win and yes the biggest and best cars do win and not the battlers that have cars that dont match up to the competition, and yes its full of dissapointment for them and maybe for that reason they should not attend these shows.
agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #25
Group C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Just when I heard the rules thought was pretty ordinary.
Same here mate.
I just think that they (FPV) are shooting themselves in the foot with this "FPV name only" decision. This means that the 'Best Club Display' may NOT be awarded to the 'Best Club'. Also, as I wrote earlier, how long will non-FPV named clubs (like yours) keep going to the FPV day if they don't get the recognision they deserve??
Quote:
Jason,
In response to the email you sent through this morning, I would like to thank you for your comments on the FPV Family Open Day.
As for your query about the award, this year is the first time we have presented the David Flint Perpetual Trophy - which is the best presented club award. As David is the man responsible for Tickford vehicles and FPV, it is our decision to only award this trophy for clubs that are affiliated with these vehicles.
If you require any more information, please let me know.
Cheers

Andrew MacLean
Communications Manager
Ford Performance Vehicles
P: (03) 9300 7260
F: (03) 9300 7302
M: 0416 200 646
E: amaclean@fpv.com.au
www.fpv.com.au
What a crock of sh1t.
I've seen your cars on display at AFD & FPV day, and surprise, surprise, you guys mainly own Tickford built XR6's & 8's, and FPV built GT's!!
Doesn't that mean you guys are "affiliated with these vehicles", or am I missing something??
Funny thing is that FPV will happily except our club (FPV & XR of Vic.) when some of us, including me, drive BA XR's, that ARE NOT built by FPV, but you guys with Tickford and FPV built cars are ignored because of your club name.
I may be dumb (according to my 4yo daughter), but that sounds like a double-standard to me...

Quote:
Next year we might all dress up as eskimos or something.......
Better you than me in late Feb. heat mate!!
I reckon in might paint a blue 'FPV' symbol on my a55 and do a nudie run. That'll get some attention...
Old 07-03-2006, 12:20 AM   #26
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

[QUOTE=Group C]Same here mate.
I just think that they (FPV) are shooting themselves in the foot with this "FPV name only" decision. This means that the 'Best Club Display' may NOT be awarded to the 'Best Club'. Also, as I wrote earlier, how long will non-FPV named clubs (like yours) keep going to the FPV day if they don't get the recognision they deserve??

What a crock of sh1t.
I've seen your cars on display at AFD & FPV day, and surprise, surprise, you guys mainly own Tickford built XR6's & 8's, and FPV built GT's!!
Doesn't that mean you guys are "affiliated with these vehicles", or am I missing something??
Funny thing is that FPV will happily except our club (FPV & XR of Vic.) when some of us, including me, drive BA XR's, that ARE NOT built by FPV, but you guys with Tickford and FPV built cars are ignored because of your club name.
I may be dumb (according to my 4yo daughter), but that sounds like a double-standard to me...

Better you than me in late Feb. heat mate!!
I reckon in might paint a blue 'FPV' symbol on my a55 and do a nudie run. That'll get some attention...[/QUOTE

I pointed out your point to FPV, this was my email I sent back in reply to his. He never replied back.

Andrew

I do understand where you are coming from. But perhaps rather than look just
at title, look further into the make up of the club. I mean all clubs are
invited to the day. My club, does not feature either FPV or XR in title but
every single car in it is an XR6, XR6T, XR8 or FPV. Just a thought. I am
there for the fun and am not concerned with prizes but I am aware of people
that put a lot of work into the presentation of their cars.Maybe an award
for overall best presentation or something, seperate to the David Flint
Perpetual Trophy. I have not mentioned my club, as this e-mail is from me
personally and not necessarily a view held by club. I am looking forward to
next year. Thanks Andrew for your reply.

Kind Regards

Jason

So we are thinking along the same lines. This was my first FPV day. I did hear someone mention the number of awards has gone down.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:32 PM   #27
Group C

This year was my second (2005 & 2006).

And you are spot on with the trophy numbers being well down.
Last year, from memory, they had 1st and 2nd in each model range (eb-ed, ef-el, au-ba) plus utes, FPV's, and the normal club and best overall.
I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong about this.

But in any case, I reckon only 25% of last years were done again this year.

And to your new email.. WELL SAID!!
Doesn't surprise me that you got no reply though..
Old 08-03-2006, 09:39 PM   #28
notty1978
NOTTY

its just a shame that people do travel alot to shows and after the show they are asking them selves
why did they go
why did they waste there time and alot of money to go to that show
did they enjoy them selves
Old 08-03-2006, 10:30 PM   #29
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by notty1978
its just a shame that people do travel alot to shows and after the show they are asking them selves
why did they go
why did they waste there time and alot of money to go to that show
did they enjoy them selves
I am not sure whom you are referring to, but I really enjoyed the FPV day, our club had a grouse meet and saw some great cars. I was merely commenting about trophies.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:18 PM   #30
notty1978
NOTTY

sorry if i put that in a wrong way.
our club did not go to the FPV Day so i was not talking about the FPV day.
sorry if i confused anyone.
im talking about Any show that is a long distance from your home.
sometimes you travel a fair distance and at the end of the day you wished you just stayed at home and never spent the money on traveling to that show as sometimes your car does not even get looked at by the judges or there is no catergories which the car can be placed in.