Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-09-2015, 11:37 PM   #1
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Hyundai is outselling Holden in 2015

As I said before on this forum, Ford and GM will become bit players in the Australian new car market after they cease local production. And to think they dominated this market for more than half a century.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...-1227508155975

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 12:06 AM   #2
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hyundai is outselling Holden in 2015

Sad news.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2015, 08:18 AM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least GM is taking the Commodore out in style...Ford has done nothing with the Falcon..its so sad..Ford should hang their head in shame...
Old 02-09-2015, 08:33 AM   #4
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Very sad state of affairs. Ford and Holden will be the Hyundai and Kia of yesterday. Holden have nothing going for them moving forward but at least Ford have some great cars just the publics perceptions of the brands is terrible. Ford marketing over all models has been appalling.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #5
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

You reap what you sow.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #6
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

How many times have we seen a market leader (in any market) lose that leadership?

That is what happens when you become complacent in a competitive marketplace.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #7
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"August is customarily a tough month for new-car sales as buyers cash in on end-of-financial year deals in June that sometimes push deliveries to July.

Market leader Toyota was down by 7.2 per cent, as were Holden (down 8.9 per cent) and Ford, which was down a staggering 22.5 per cent off a low base."
My Comment : Why aren't alarm bells ringing in Ford HQ???????? it seems like Ford have given up on Australia??????
Old 02-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #8
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry no tears after 40 plus years of Bad Ford service and i think both Holden and Ford still have not learn anything over time.Now own a Hyundai (first non FORD) 5 years warranty and last service cost $129 with No problems or addons.
351LTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
"August is customarily a tough month for new-car sales as buyers cash in on end-of-financial year deals in June that sometimes push deliveries to July.

Market leader Toyota was down by 7.2 per cent, as were Holden (down 8.9 per cent) and Ford, which was down a staggering 22.5 per cent off a low base."
My Comment : Why aren't alarm bells ringing in Ford HQ???????? it seems like Ford have given up on Australia??????
Could be those of us who bought Hyundai's over Fords have "given up on Australia".
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #10
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Ford Australia sold 5747 cars in July. Ford US sold 70,000 F series pickups in Aug....do you think Australia gets that much focus in the monday morning meeting?
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 12:23 PM   #11
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
Ford Australia sold 5747 cars in July. Ford US sold 70,000 F series pickups in Aug....do you think Australia gets that much focus in the monday morning meeting?
May be not Monday but EOM reporting it may get some attention when there is some RED showing...
Old 02-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #12
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
How do you know that alarm bells are not ringing? Or are you just jumping to conclusions based upon your own experiences and expectations.

So, lets assume that alarm bells are ringing. What would you, as a member of the general public, expect to see from Ford? An ad saying we got it wrong? An immediate discount on the cars they have available to sell in this country? Flying in imported vehicles to ensure that supply issues are not the constraint?

I'm sorry, but if alarm bells are, or are not, ringing with Ford management, I doubt any of us would see any immediate changes. To rectify this situation is going to take a long time, not an instantaneous correction.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #13
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Hyundai have had much better cars than ford or holden for a long time,why such a surprise?
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #14
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351LTD View Post
Sorry no tears after 40 plus years of Bad Ford service and i think both Holden and Ford still have not learn anything over time.Now own a Hyundai (first non FORD) 5 years warranty and last service cost $129 with No problems or addons.
I think Hyundai make great cars. I owned some from new a 1989 Excel, 1993 Lantra and a 1994 Sonata.

But $129 sounds real cheap. Is that for every 6 months? What is Hyundai's service schedule? 10K/12 months? If you buy the Genesis, you get free servicing for 5 years

Toyota also had a $130 service but it was every 6 months.

I'm happy with what I pay Ford. It's only every 15K and includes $85 worth of road side assist. Works for me.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #15
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
At least GM is taking the Commodore out in style...Ford has done nothing with the Falcon..its so sad..Ford should hang their head in shame...
Not that I've seen it advertised as yet but aren't Ford doing a 'Sprint' special of the XR6 and 8?
Old 02-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not surprising in the least, just the smell of a brand getting ready to shut doors and throw away the key is enough to kill off some sales.
And theres no escaping the korean cars throwing extra warranty on their cars is a big draw card , boring as bat **** but good value will always look better to point A to point B car buyers than more versatile better driving cars that are probably more expensive to run, especially in these unstable economic times.

i bloody dislike front wheel drive hacks with a passion(no disrespect intended fwd owners , its just me) ,
but every now now and again i get in a mood and cant be bothered with looking at repairing my old bangers and get a thought buying a newy in my head.................... and i have to say at one stage a boring as bat poo hyundai was actually on the list, purely as a economical value substitute, for those of us with limited cash , the value thing with extra warranty certainly looks good for the consideration of running cost in the long term ownership.
but i really dont know if it would pan out cheaper in the long run even with the extra warranty.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
I think Hyundai make great cars. I owned some from new a 1989 Excel, 1993 Lantra and a 1994 Sonata.

But $129 sounds real cheap. Is that for every 6 months? What is Hyundai's service schedule? 10K/12 months? If you buy the Genesis, you get free servicing for 5 years

Toyota also had a $130 service but it was every 6 months.

I'm happy with what I pay Ford. It's only every 15K and includes $85 worth of road side assist. Works for me.
yes despite the henrys odd little niggles , i think they are a cheap car to run in the long term , i totalled up what my henry owes me for 10 years ownership with every single expense including fuel , insurance, rego, parts ,labor, cost of the car, etc ,etc, then just to make sure i added 5k to the end figure , it was a bloody cheap car to run, of course every ones personal cost will vary , but in my case it was dam good for a big car.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:43 PM   #18
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Service every 7500 Kms Zeloster turbo so 150 Kws of fwd not really boring for the wife to drive to work and us to go away in when the 393s fuel usage gets a bit much.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:53 PM   #19
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Service every 7500 Kms Zeloster turbo so 150 Kws of fwd not really boring for the wife to drive to work and us to go away in when the 393s fuel usage gets a bit much.
So, given that (most?) Fords are serviced every 15,000km, you actually have 2 services for every 1 on a Ford. That means your equivalent servicing cost is $258.

That may still be better than what some (most?) Ford customers are paying, but at least we are now comparing apples with apples.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #20
STINKY NINJA
Banned

5 year warranty is only given on cars that are made to last that long,how long is fords warranty and what does that say about their lack of confidence in the quality of their product...
I love my fords but how long can you flog a dead horse for,its not giving up on ford,they gave up on us long ago... their sub standard product doesn't fool the general public anymore so its the end of an era.
I think it sucks.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #21
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
So, given that (most?) Fords are serviced every 15,000km, you actually have 2 services for every 1 on a Ford. That means your equivalent servicing cost is $258.

That may still be better than what some (most?) Ford customers are paying, but at least we are now comparing apples with apples.

Our new Hyundai is serviced 12 months or 15,000kms. Assuming the Veloseter needs to be serviced twice as often due to being a Turbo and a "performance" car.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 03:50 PM   #22
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Our new Hyundai is serviced 12 months or 15,000kms. Assuming the Veloseter needs to be serviced twice as often due to being a Turbo and a "performance" car.
Maybe so, but comparing the price of a service at 7,500km interval versus a service cost at a 15,000km interval is not comparing apples with apples. I was simply trying to ensure that any comparison was a fair one. To help with that, how much does the service cost you on the 15,000km service interval? I'm sure it will be a little more than $129.

I'd be surprised that the turbo engine or it being a 'performance' car are a factor as my ST which also has a turbo and has a higher power and torque output is still 15,000km service interval. Similarly, so is the XR8, which, in some people's minds, is more of a 'performance' car than either the Veloseter or the ST.

If I was to follow STINKY NINJA's line of thoughts, where is Hyundai's confidence in their product if they can only get 7,500km safely out of it between services?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #23
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
5 year warranty is only given on cars that are made to last that long,how long is fords warranty and what does that say about their lack of confidence in the quality of their product...
I love my fords but how long can you flog a dead horse for,its not giving up on ford,they gave up on us long ago... their sub standard product doesn't fool the general public anymore so its the end of an era.
I think it sucks.
While it may a appear to be that way , sales and marketing is not always as it appears,

Some well off company's to get a foot hold in the market will be prepared to offer value added things like warranty at the expense of profit margins for an extended period , and the quality of the product may or may not be questionable, not saying that's the case here , but things are not always as they seem.
And let's face it if you wanted to sell a product and had a huge resource/cash base, it would certainly be a good strategy if you knew your competitors where doing it tuff.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #24
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
I think it sucks.
5 year warranty is the exception, not the norm. 3yr/100000km is still by far the majority cover for most makes.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #25
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not just the cost of service but I can honestly say that over that 40 plus years of ownership I have never had one service by a ford dealership that never had some form of problem. Maybe I was unlucky but how many people on this forum get there ford serviced at a ford dealership and are happy about it??.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:05 PM   #26
prydey
Rob

Quote:
how many people on this forum get there ford serviced at a ford dealership and are happy about it??.
me.

the 'A' service costs me $185, although i do supply my own oil.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #27
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
me.

the 'A' service costs me $185, although i do supply my own oil.
Me too

Actually, no, that is not true. I am VERY happy

But, unfortunately, I do get the feeling that I am in the minority and not the majority.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #28
prydey
Rob

Quote:
But, unfortunately, I do get the feeling that I am in the minority and not the majority.
i wouldn't use a forum as an accurate indication of the real picture.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:26 PM   #29
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

As are (most??) Hyundais.

What is the schedule like for a turbo I6, same as the regular I6?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #30
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I could ask ,how many fords over what time frame but this thread is meant to be about Holden,so I will wish you luck!