Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford sues dealer for fake parts

I saw this in todays Fin. review:

Ford sues one of its own for fake parts
Matthew Drummond

Ford Australia has alleged one of its largest dealers is involved in a counterfeit spare parts racket, falsely passing off mufflers, batteries and other spare parts as genuine Ford products.

The car manufacturer is suing Jefferson Ford, one of Melbourne's biggest Ford dealers, which also trades under the names City Ford and President Ford.

Last year three of its premises were raided by the Australian Federal Police, who are understood to be investigating the importing of fake Ford car parts.

In documents filed in the Federal Court, Ford has alleged the dealer instructed its employees to print stickers bearing the Ford and Motorcraft trademarks and then apply them to mufflers and batteries, passing them off as being manufactured by Ford. Other spare parts falsely represented as being genuine Ford parts include ignition coils and leads, heater valves and stop-lamp switches.

Ford will apply next Wednesday for an urgent injunction to stop the dealer from selling the parts.

Ford is also seeking declarations that Jefferson Ford has infringed its trade marks and engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct, and it wants orders forcing Jefferson to destroy the spare parts.

Jefferson Ford's managing director, Simon Jefferson, denied any wrongdoing and said his company had never knowingly sold non-genuine parts.

"The parts concerned are sourced from Australian-based importers of Ford parts, which is standard practice in the global automotive market," he said.

Ford spokeswoman Sinead McAlary said while customers should have a choice in whether they wished to use genuine Ford parts, the company was keen to ensure they got what they paid for. "Anything with the Ford brand on it goes through a rigorous testing procedure," she said.

An AFP spokesman confirmed yesterday that search warrants were executed in September of Jefferson Ford premises in three suburbs, including Melbourne's central business district.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Another reason, other than the pathetic service, why dealerships should be owned by Ford.

Thats pretty shonky if its true, id be ****ed if I was paying for genuine and they were actually knock offs. Its not like genuine stuff is cheap.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-01-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford spokeswoman Sinead McAlary
"Anything with the Ford brand on it goes through a rigorous testing procedure," she said.
Can we quote her on that?

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
Old 10-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

WTF!!!! Not good. Bloody dodgy dealers. :
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 10-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

You heard it first here!

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ht=spare+parts
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 10-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
rxj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Another reason, other than the pathetic service, why dealerships should be owned by Ford.

Thats pretty shonky if its true, id be ****ed if I was paying for genuine and they were actually knock offs. Its not like genuine stuff is cheap.
Agree. My vehicle is currently serviced at City Ford in Melbourne and so far I have found the service to be pretty ordinary compared to other dealers that I have had experience with in the past.

The only reason I go to this dealership at the moment is the convenience of being close to work and nothing else.

Cheers,

rxj.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:54 PM   #7
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Falcon
"Anything with the Ford brand on it goes through a rigorous testing procedure," she said.
"Anything with a Ford brand on it goes through a rigorous markup procedure"

SFR Rob, sounds like you know something that Ford Australia may be interested in hearing??? Maybe an email to them would be appreciated?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
"Anything with a Ford brand on it goes through a rigorous markup procedure"

SFR Rob, sounds like you know something that Ford Australia may be interested in hearing??? Maybe an email to them would be appreciated?
My thoughts exactly. I'm sure Ford aus would love to hear someone say "I used to work there and this is what they had us doing".
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 10-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Falcon
"The parts concerned are sourced from Australian-based importers of Ford parts,
You've just gotta love the 'management speak' here. Notice he only said they were SOURCED from the importer. Not 'we only buy genuine parts' from the importer.

The man ought to be in politics.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:14 PM   #10
bencat

Quote:
"The parts concerned are sourced from Australian-based importers of Ford parts, which is standard practice in the global automotive market," he said.
Well, their just circumventing Ford, there prolly buying the same crap taiwanese parts that fomoco do and rebadging them at the dealer rather than at the distribution point...
Old 10-01-2007, 11:29 PM   #11
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Hopefully the settlement will involve the defendant losing their dealerships to Ford HQ control.

This is shoddyness of the highest (lowest) order, no wonder Ford is willing to cop some negative press in the short term to stamp it out, it could have MASSIVE negative effects in the future.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:08 AM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Wow, perfect 20/20 hindsight!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by russellw; 11-01-2007 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Removed quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:58 AM   #13
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dodgey Dealers!!! I better start watching my local dealership more closely the next time I bring my car in Lol.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:26 AM   #14
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
"Anything with the Ford brand on it goes through a rigorous testing procedure," she said

Give me a break!
Once I bought a lower radiator hose for my EB Fairmont, from a Ford delaer.
For the life of me I couldnt get this hose to fit at the water pump. I ended up ringing the spare parts dept at the delaer and he confirmed the numbers on the hose were the correct ones. To his credit, the service manager drove 20mins to my house to assist me in putting this part on. We had to force this thing on so I could use the car. He confirmed it was the correct part and that he had a box full of them just delivered, all exactly the same.
Anyway, in the days after, was as Supercrap and had a look at their hoses. Low and behold, their hoses had all the same marking and numbers on them, same country made in but no Ford sticker. And yes, they would have fitted properly. Some rigorous testing by Ford..... :
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
This user likes this post:
Old 11-01-2007, 07:14 AM   #15
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Hmmmm, been getting all three of our falcons serviced by them, bugger, hope they get rid of the dodgy parts soon, I will just tell them to use genuine, I actually find their service very good and don't realy want to find somewere else to have to get my fleet serviced.
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
Old 11-01-2007, 07:19 AM   #16
LTDHO
The one and only

C'mon, this isn't news. This is what we'd expect from the spare parts of our beloved brand.
It's all about the money, not the customer!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 11-01-2007, 07:55 AM   #17
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool

Going through those older posts I noticed Mark mentioning a now defunct insurance company that used 2nd hand parts.

Well I can tell you now that one of the biggest insurance companies has this policy in place today. I was advised of this by a friend of mine who owns one of the biggest smash repair businesses on the Gold Coast.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:17 AM   #18
Ringo
I see you....

Wonder if they were fitting these parts as warranty replacements?

It would have been funny if Jeffo's had been claiming to replace parts that they never ordered from FoMoCo....
Old 11-01-2007, 09:55 AM   #19
Sledgehammer
Banned

This doesnt supprise me at all.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:35 AM   #20
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford buys parts from some o/s manufacturer and puts a "genuine" sticker on em, sells them at a premium.

Dealer contacts same manufacturer orders same part directly.

OK the part hasnt been though Broadmeadows, but its the same thing, only now Ford arent getting a few bucks. Dealer makes more profit or sells cheaper. Ford factory squeals.

Could be issues if you take your car elsewhere for service tho, especially warrantee service
Old 11-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #21
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Interesting... Strike 2!
Old 11-01-2007, 02:05 PM   #22
Ford PR Man
Starter Motor

Hi there, Ed Finn from Ford Australia Public Affairs here. FOA would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has information which they believe may be relevant to the issues raised in this thread. Given that the matter is before the courts, I would appreciate direct contact. I can be reached at efinn@ford.com. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #23
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is part of the reason why the car trade ( at dealer level ) is tough to be in. Even if you and your dealership tries its best it only takes one idiot to give the lot a bad name. I really hope they fry for it.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #24
Scott

^^Personally, I hope the dealer gets whet they deserve. I offer you the same support Ford offered me........ sorry, can't help.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:46 PM   #25
FPV GT
I Like To Shake It

Hopefully they will now start on those that are selling Blank FPV ID plates etc, on ebay.

Regards
Paul

2016 S550 TY GT Coupe....some loud bits and some glass bits

I like My GT SHAKEN, and Blown
Happiness is a TY S550, a 1911 semi automatic, and the Lovey Lizzie by my side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely Lizzie
whilst looking at man riding a pee wee 50
"That sure does nothing for his masculinity"
Old 11-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #26
thefordscrubber
Starter Motor

Just like to say that I am heartily disappointed by what they've done, not to mention the shame they are bringing to those of us who legitimately fly the Ford flag when it comes to parts sales. :(
Old 11-01-2007, 08:27 PM   #27
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
^^Personally, I hope the dealer gets whet they deserve. I offer you the same support Ford offered me........ sorry, can't help.
Jefferson Ford: "These lawyers are making life a misery! Is this normal?"
Unsimpathetic Ford Public: "They all do that..."
Old 06-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #28
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dealer deserves what he gets, but for those employees who were oblivious to any illegal dealings, I hope they are not left out in the cold.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:01 PM   #29
Tony xa
Streetrides panel & paint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Tonys qualified advice on paint and panel is always very good 

Pretty damn bad to charge such high prices for aftermarket stuff .Then again most ford stuff is avail under other brands for cheaper .Its not right to steal peoples money like that or deseve like that .
Old 07-04-2007, 02:13 AM   #30
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

my mate used to work at the richmond branch, it got shut down i think.
or it ran out of work in the workshop at one point and he left.
Closed Thread