Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Motor MAY 07, GT RSPEC GETS PUMPED BIG TIME

Gee I thought the GT "R Spec" might get done by a second a lap or so, but not pumped by over 4 seconds.

Quater times....BOTH MANUAL, R8 14.5 @ 160.2 kmh vs GT R SPEC 15.3 @155.1 kmh .....0-100kmh 6.3 vs 7.3....Now before everyone gets excited about those times not being the best etc all you have to take into account is the are the same day, same conditions etc So they make a fair comparison!!!!

Manslaughter if ever I saw it, I think the GT will need a RRR Spec package and about another 50kw to even match the HSV.

ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 01:25 PM   #2
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Yeah that hurts...alot. Something is off there with the GT; most owners here pull a 14 atleast; and even then thats not so great compared to others.

Who was driving?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow they got a better time with the BA XT I6.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
McobraR
me may my mo

Well it was clear the new HSV's will crap all over the FPV's even more ever since the VE was released (V8's to V8's of course). Yes we have the phoon, but i have doubt on the GT Orion matching HSV performance, mainly cus FPV doesnt have as much money, and V8 choices which HSV has.
15 seconds... isnt that like so 10 years ago? lol
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

Who was driving?
It was Tod Kelly and Steve Richards, I think Kelly timed the HSV and Richards the FPV. In ideal conditions I would have expected about 5.4 secs out of HSV 0-100kmh and 5.9 out of the GT which indicates the GT being 1 full second slower was not 100% right.

Id hate to see what the lap time of a non R Spec GT would have been if Bowe reckons the R Specs 3 seconds quicker a lap.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:46 PM   #6
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is that a VE R8 that does 14.5 ?

what were the conditions on that day ? temp etc
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

HSV produces faster cars because HSV own all their cars. They buy them from Holden outright then modify them. Ford still owns all of FPV's cars and therefore FPV are very limited in what they can do with the cars. FPV have the talent, skill and would love to produce a light weight 400kw GTHO but Ford simply won't let them.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprjenkins
HSV produces faster cars because HSV own all their cars. They buy them from Holden outright then modify them. Ford still owns all of FPV's cars and therefore FPV are very limited in what they can do with the cars. FPV have the talent, skill and would love to produce a light weight 400kw GTHO but Ford simply won't let them.
Where the heck did you hear that from?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 02-04-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
Miller
It's Millertime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Where the heck did you hear that from?

I remember seeing a very similar if not exact copy of that post somewhere on this forum a little while ago as well.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The track must have been wet to get times like that. Theres no either of them could be that slow.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #11
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
I remember seeing a very similar if not exact copy of that post somewhere on this forum a little while ago as well.
So do I.....

FPV is not restricted by Ford, other than cash and other various things. There are mechanical and financial limits in place for various reasons.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 02-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #12
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm.. I havent got my issue in the mail yet. But that'd be a sad read.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NEITHER is great... By the looks of those times they might have conducted the test with a car load of AVESCO staff in the sahara desert...
160 kph at the end of the 1/4 is well down for HP, id say conditions were aweful.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:34 PM   #14
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

So what were the lap times?
And at what circuit?

Conditions? (wet, dry, hot, cold, etc).
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 05:41 PM   #15
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Regardless of the conditions, both cars were tested back to back, if the GT's times are off than so are the R8's. Time to swallow some pride lads and stop making excuses for the Blue oval product. The reality is the 6.0lt in the HSV is a product of GM in the States and was developed for the 06 Corvette and it’s a gem. The new GT is a great car and the 290 engine and ZF combine to make it a class act. It’s just not as quick as the HSV and never has been end of story!! Get over it…….. If you need some ammo for the bench racing at the local than the F6 is your weapon of choice not the GT. Personally I think the effort re the 40th Anniversary GT is laughable and an insult to the heritage of the GT badge in this country, but it was predicted by 90% of the contributors to this forum so what is that telling you?
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #16
The Monty
Just slidin'

So the latest GT goes only .58 secs quicker over the quarter and 15 KPH faster than my pretty much stock 121 rwkw Fairmont. And that R8 would never run that slow. Good driving dip heads.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #17
XRated
Shoot.

Surely these times can't be taken seriously?? 15.3 by a brand new FPV? Come on! Six cylinder EAs were running this sort of time nearly 20 years ago!!!

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 06:30 PM   #18
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Default Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprjenkins
I think that is soooooo true! And it's probably not Ford Aus. saying that, it's probably Ford USA saying that - because it would make their cars look crap!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 06:34 PM   #19
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Surely these times can't be taken seriously?? 15.3 by a brand new FPV? Come on! Six cylinder EAs were running this sort of time nearly 20 years ago!!!
Something is definately amiss with those numbers. The bro's BA XT has dropped 15 dead qtr runs at Calder and an R8 and GT can't muster better than 14.5 seconds...
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 06:35 PM   #20
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

These tests must have been done on a pretty hot day, they replicate what my XR8 was doing untill the sun went away at Calder...

I was running 15.2's untill it chilled off.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #21
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
i was thinking exactly that luke...... a 15.3 quarter time from a GT is disgusting

dont believe everything you read in motor
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 06:48 PM   #22
billsta

The times in the magazines are so inconsistent all to do with the marketing dollar. Should have a program like top gear or 5th gear with professionals like the stig driving the cars back to back for real comparisons on tv instead of reading it in a magazine.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:55 PM   #23
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
Regardless of the conditions, both cars were tested back to back, if the GT's times are off than so are the R8's. Time to swallow some pride lads and stop making excuses for the Blue oval product. The reality is the 6.0lt in the HSV is a product of GM in the States and was developed for the 06 Corvette and it’s a gem. The new GT is a great car and the 290 engine and ZF combine to make it a class act. It’s just not as quick as the HSV and never has been end of story!! Get over it…….. If you need some ammo for the bench racing at the local than the F6 is your weapon of choice not the GT. Personally I think the effort re the 40th Anniversary GT is laughable and an insult to the heritage of the GT badge in this country, but it was predicted by 90% of the contributors to this forum so what is that telling you?

Sounds bizarre to me.........a GT doing the standing quarter in the same time it takes a BOG stock XT I6 ?????????

I would never believe anything that those CHOWDER munchers write. After driving both cars extensively before I made my purchase, I can categorically tell you that there wasn't that much in it. Yes the R8 felt stronger, but not much. In fact handling wise, the GT was better and with thinner rear tyres.

I remeber in 2003 when the BAGT was released and the same MUNCHERS could barely reel off a 14.1 or was it 14.3 something for the GT. That same month my brother reeled off consecutive 13.7 all night at Calder in his new BAGT 5 speed STOCK AS A ROCK with a full tank of petrol on a half decent track.

I guess that makes it almost a full second quicker than the current R8....... :

Believe what you want.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 07:33 PM   #24
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They also take a well educated guess, hinting that HO will be released in July 09 about 12 months after Orion, to make it 40 years since the 69 XW HO.

Will read the full article soon and see if I can find out why the times were so slow.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:49 PM   #25
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Classic
They also take a well educated guess, hinting that HO will be released in July 09 about 12 months after Orion,
Oh dear... cue the annual "the GTHO is back" thread.. :yeees:

Old 02-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #26
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wouldnt be a GTHO thread without a mention of a V10
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 07:58 PM   #27
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Sounds bizarre to me.........a GT doing the standing quarter in the same time it takes a BOG stock XT I6 ?????????

I would never believe anything that those CHOWDER munchers write. After driving both cars extensively before I made my purchase, I can categorically tell you that there wasn't that much in it. Yes the R8 felt stronger, but not much. In fact handling wise, the GT was better and with thinner rear tyres.

Believe what you want.
I drove GT, GTP and F6 (3 different ones), I also has a XR6T and have a XR6 BF as a company car, so I think I can comment. If you thought the Falcon handled better then you are dreaming. The R8 is much better planted and handles better. Its not a lot but its noticable. Im sure Orion will address it. But if you are truely neutral and drive both im afraid the Ford offerings come up short (this time).

And as for beleiving what we want. In the 2 back to back tests I've seen The VE has won, Ford should be proud its car, its 5 years old and Holden only just past it. In the case above, it doesn't matter if both cars were in the 20's, it only matters that they were tested side by side and hence the relative merits can be compared. We all know somebodies brothers mate who did a 9.9 in his stock LS1/F6/HSV/GTR/Vtech/whatever, but the only real result is a side by side one.

How come we don't hear stories of all the Ford boys lining up at the local strips an canning VE's? All we get is mate who "killed" the [insert VE model] at the lights. :
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #28
Falchoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Oh dear... cue the annual "the GTHO is back" thread.. :yeees:
Annual? It's at least monthly! :monkes:
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 08:12 PM   #29
matty220

these figures cant be true my 01 xr8 220 would hose that car (gt) about time ford got serious about v8's us ford fans are getting sick of lack of power and development of the 5.4 i hope orion addresses this and fast!!!
matty220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #30
Falchoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsta
The times in the magazines are so inconsistent all to do with the marketing dollar. Should have a program like top gear or 5th gear with professionals like the stig driving the cars back to back for real comparisons on tv instead of reading it in a magazine.
How "professional" do you need the drivers to be?! Steve Richards and Todd Kelly are professional main game V8 Supercar drivers!
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post