Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 29-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mate got Speeding fine. Loss of license

Hey everyone.

Well my mate was clocked at 128k's on the freeway the other night.
He said the ticket had a detected speed of 128k's and an alleged speed of 126k's.

I thought in Victoria it was 3% off if you were over 100k's meaning his alleged speed would be 124.3 or whatever. Meaning he wouldn't lose his license.
He also needs the car for work and was only 1/2k's off not losing it. Can he lodge an appeal?

Old 29-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Don't know, perhaps they already subtracted the 3%.

Good luck with the "deserved it" replies you are sure to get....
Old 29-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Meh. He should have done some skids for good measure.

Oo\===/oO
Old 29-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Don't know, perhaps they already subtracted the 3%.

Good luck with the "deserved it" replies you are sure to get....
Yeah I'm waiting for all the hypocrites to start bashing away.
Old 29-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Why wait, I'm waiting to see when the thread get's clossed, thats more to the question,
But seriously, why do you care, he was stupid enough to do 120+ kmls anyway, do the crime pay the price, who cares if he losses his licence and need's it for work, WALK, or next time he might think about his action's, if he's smart enough.
Old 29-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Why wait, I'm waiting to see when the thread get's clossed, thats more to the question,
But seriously, why do you care, he was stupid enough to do 120+ kmls anyway, do the crime pay the price, who cares if he losses his licence and need's it for work, WALK, or next time he might think about his action's, if he's smart enough.

So you've never done 120k's before? Is that what you're saying?
Old 29-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
cowboy
Cowboy

Appeal? And give up revenue, good luck!
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
Old 29-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
FPV GT40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
He never said that he hasn't, but at this stage he has his licence.

We have all done things wrong, we probably do things wrong daily, some will talk on their mobile, some run red lights, some speed, some do all of it plus then some.....I nearly lost my licence about 5 years ago, had 3 points left after some speeding tickets....I need my licence for work, no licence no job for me thats it, so guess what I did?? I stopped doing thing wrong, and drove according to the rules, however painfull it might have been, but my drivers licence was more important to me than anything.

If he knew he needed his licence and then still speeds to the extend that he loses it he obviously likes public transport, or he is just too dumm to realise. Now he has some time to think about it.

People get plenty of chances to adjust their behaviour on our roads, if they fail to do so I am quite happy for them to be catching the bus.

You state that he needs his licence for work like its supposed to mean something to us....may be he should have considered this while he was driving :togo:
Old 29-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lifes a
Old 29-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

When you finally hit the overtaking lane after being stuck behind grandads Volvo, looking at the Bowls hat for an eternity! who in a BOSS hasnt hit the "go" pedal only to look down and think , too fast, but great pick up????

Ok it doesnt explain the whole story (previous fines) but in Vic its 25ks over the posted limit and your walking for a month.

So he opts to go to court, pleads stupidity and begs to retain his licence for the purposes of employment only, ie drives a set route to work, his employers vehicle for work only and the set route back home again?

Anyone else had any luck pleading to the court for leaniancy?

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
Old 29-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #11
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Yeah sure, I think everyone has but I'm not dumb enough to do it on a fwy and get caught, espically these day's, we all need to take responsabilty for our action's, so why bother posting a stupid thread about how you think your mate was hard done by and how he can beat the system and get away with it because lets face it, why do you for one care and why bother to ask about how you can help him, all your interested in is how you can get your mate out of his stupidness,
let me ask you one question, how old is your mate and be honest.
Old 29-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #12
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

yeah, a few more details would be great.

Or is this "I have this friend with a nasty RASH" What should I, um er, HE do?

You can tell people what to do and not to do till your blue in the face, most of us learnt by falling flat on our own faces!

Am happy enough no one was hurt to learn a small lesson.

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
Old 29-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Your mate can take the 1 month loss, or the golden point for a year.

He could also enquire about only using the car to go to work and back. I think the sentence is doubled, but that would get around that problem.

Same thing happened to my Mate and he needed to travel a go 40km one way to work. All he did was took the one month suspension and took two weeks holiday and used public transport for a fortnight.
Old 29-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #14
FPV GT40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt

He could also enquire about only using the car to go to work and back. I think the sentence is doubled, but that would get around that problem.

Same thing happened to my Mate and he needed to travel a go 40km one way to work. All he did was took the one month suspension and took two weeks holiday and used public transport for a fortnight.
Not a bad option.....or may be pay someone to pick you up for work, unless his job is driving then he is stuffed...
Old 29-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #15
FPV GT40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant
When you finally hit the overtaking lane after being stuck behind grandads Volvo, looking at the Bowls hat for an eternity! who in a BOSS hasnt hit the "go" pedal only to look down and think , too fast, but great pick up????
Almost exactly how I got my last ticket, except it was a semi I was stuck behind for ages, and I was in an EL XR8.........and it was double demerit week end :togo: : ....the last straw before I learned to behave....
Old 29-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #16
GT014

Quote:
Hey everyone.

He said the ticket had a detected speed of 128k's and an alleged speed of 126k's.

I thought in Victoria it was 3% off if you were over 100k's meaning his alleged speed would be 124.3 or whatever. Meaning he wouldn't lose his license.
He also needs the car for work and was only 1/2k's off not losing it. Can he lodge an appeal?

If you are detected by police in Victoria on Laser or Radar, they take 2km off the detected speed.

The 3% you are refering to is fixed speed camera like that on the western ring rd/burnley tunnel, where if it is over 100, they have a 3% tollerence.

Basically he is stuffed and an appeal will be a waste of his time and money and runs the risk of a longer suspension.
Old 29-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #17
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey everyone.

I don't ever recall it being 3%, I think maybe 3klms at the most. If it was a percentage adjustment then the faster you go the more which gets wiped off, bit silly really.
Old 30-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #18
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GT40
He never said that he hasn't, but at this stage he has his licence.

We have all done things wrong, we probably do things wrong daily, some will talk on their mobile, some run red lights, some speed, some do all of it plus then some.....I nearly lost my licence about 5 years ago, had 3 points left after some speeding tickets....I need my licence for work, no licence no job for me thats it, so guess what I did?? I stopped doing thing wrong, and drove according to the rules, however painfull it might have been, but my drivers licence was more important to me than anything.

If he knew he needed his licence and then still speeds to the extend that he loses it he obviously likes public transport, or he is just too dumm to realise. Now he has some time to think about it.

People get plenty of chances to adjust their behaviour on our roads, if they fail to do so I am quite happy for them to be catching the bus.

You state that he needs his licence for work like its supposed to mean something to us....may be he should have considered this while he was driving :togo:
Nice post!

Is there an opportunity for him to take a good behaviour bond of 12 months like you can in QLD. If there is then that will be the only option, maybe then he will learn that you can drive within the laws and still get around.
Old 30-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #19
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

such is life. You do the crime you do the time.
Old 30-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #20
jasjul

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Nice post!

Is there an opportunity for him to take a good behaviour bond of 12 months like you can in QLD. If there is then that will be the only option, maybe then he will learn that you can drive within the laws and still get around.

You can only get a good behaviour bond if your licence is suspended due to points. If it's suspended for a high speed, you either fight it or take it on the chin.
Old 30-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #21
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My understanding is they deduct 3kms of your detected speed. Still leaves him in the pedestrian lane.
Cheers
GT450
Old 30-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #22
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What an annoying cop, he should have put it down a few km for you... good to see him continuing the bad name traffic cops have built for themselves...

I would definetly take it to court, you have nothing to lose. Present youself dont bother with lawyers as you know you were guilty.

You plead guilty, but explain your problem and hopefully it will work out. You at least will postpone your suspension, which would only be a month suspension anyway, out to 6 months away instead of 30 days or whatever so you can organise yourself as far as work etc.

Also, you werent in a 110 zone freeway were you? you can do 130 without losing your licence there.
Old 30-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #23
jasjul

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
What an annoying cop, he should have put it down a few km for you... good to see him continuing the bad name traffic cops have built for themselves...

Please, how about people take responsibility for their driving. It sounds like the mate isn't disputing speeding, just the penalty which the government set, not the police. If you want to speed, keep it under 25km/h over. If your points build up no more speeding. We all know the rules.

As to the "mate" who was booked, we don't what car he was in, we don't know what the road/weather conditions were, maybe he deserved what he got, maybe not.
Old 30-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #24
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

In can't believe he's worried about having some of the speed wiped from the fine, therefore hoping to keep the licence. Tell him to cop it on the chin and learn from his mistakes.

In S.A and QLD what your clocked at is what you wear. None of this take 3K or 3 % off the total garbage.

Another thing that has be curious is he got done 28K total over and is looking at the licence loss. S.A rules are 45K over and kiss it goodbye. Won't go into the other charges associated with it. Or is it, the points he had left isn't enough to cover this incident?

In summery, cop it and learn. Otherwise get familar with the transport system and if his licence is needed for employment, look for another career.
Old 30-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #25
jasjul

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
In can't believe he's worried about having some of the speed wiped from the fine, therefore hoping to keep the licence. Tell him to cop it on the chin and learn from his mistakes.

In S.A and QLD what your clocked at is what you wear. None of this take 3K or 3 % off the total garbage.

Another thing that has be curious is he got done 28K total over and is looking at the licence loss. S.A rules are 45K over and kiss it goodbye. Won't go into the other charges associated with it. Or is it, the points he had left isn't enough to cover this incident?

In summery, cop it and learn. Otherwise get familar with the transport system and if his licence is needed for employment, look for another career.
In Vic 25-34km/h over is 1 month suspension, 35-44km/h is 6 month suspension, 45km/h or more is 12 months. Plus dollars and points.
Old 30-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #26
Matty4
Banana

There are a couple of things that need clearing up in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt

This doesn't apply in Vic. There is no "work only" licence, nor the "golden point" if you're done more than 25km/h over the limit.
Quote:
.....I would definetly take it to court, you have nothing to lose. Present youself dont bother with lawyers as you know you were guilty.

You plead guilty, but explain your problem and hopefully it will work out. You at least will postpone your suspension, which would only be a month suspension anyway, out to 6 months away instead of 30 days or whatever so you can organise yourself as far as work etc.
If you plead guilty to the charge presented in court, the Magistrate has no option other than to find you guilty and impose the appropriate penalty, in this case, 1 month loss of licence. Your only hope of getting a reduced fine and no loss of licence is for the informant (the cop who booked you) to charge you with a lesser speed prior to going into court. You must elect to have this matter heard in a court first and then begin discussions with the informant prior to and also on the day in court.
Quote:
Also, you werent in a 110 zone freeway were you? you can do 130 without losing your licence there.
The state limit in Vic is 100km/h. If you get done by more than 25km/h you will lose your licence, ie. 126km/h even on the Hume in a 110km/h zone will still lose your licence.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 30-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #27
jasjul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
There are a couple of things that need clearing up in this
The state limit in Vic is 100km/h. If you get done by more than 25km/h you will lose your licence, ie. 126km/h even on the Hume in a 110km/h zone will still lose your licence.
That part is incorrect. You can do 129km/h in a 110 zone and not lose your licence. There are specific fines for speeding in a 110 zone.
Old 30-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #28
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey everyone.

"your mate"?? or you? get a lawyer and get proper legal advice.

Old 30-05-2009, 04:05 PM   #29
VSSII

Quote:
What an annoying cop, he should have put it down a few km for you... good to see him continuing the bad name traffic cops have built for themselves....
Bahahahahahahah!!

www.theworldowesmeafavour.com
Old 30-05-2009, 04:13 PM   #30
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Yeah sure, I think everyone has but I'm not dumb enough to do it on a fwy and get caught, espically these day's, we all need to take responsabilty for our action's, so why bother posting a stupid thread about how you think your mate was hard done by and how he can beat the system and get away with it because lets face it, why do you for one care and why bother to ask about how you can help him, all your interested in is how you can get your mate out of his stupidness,
let me ask you one question, how old is your mate and be honest.
How about we all bend over and take it form the government then in any way they want to give it to us when we know it is about revenue and nothing else. So many sheep..... baaaaaaa baaaaaahhhh
Closed Thread