Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default REPORT: Fixed speed cameras not effective

About time an official pointed this out:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=175137

Quote:

Signposted speed cameras may actually make roads more dangerous, according to experts.

Road safety advisor Ray Shuey told ninemsn that speed cameras have a positive local influence but signposting them could make other areas of the road network more hazardous.

The warning follows the revelation of a 25 percent dip in speeding fines in NSW since a trial of mobile speed cameras in unmarked police vehicles was abandoned in 2004.
"If you analyse the traffic flows near overt speed cameras along the Hume Highway on the NSW side, you'll see that many motorists break before the camera zone and accelerate afterwards," he said.

"It does reduce crashes in this location but then you have to consider the collision displacement effect – has this strategy really reduced crash rates?"

Mr Shuey, a former Victorian assistant police commissioner, cited a 2003 study showing that accident blackspots in the United Kingdom monitored by overt speed cameras reported a 30 percent reduction in collisions.

However, the overall road fatality rate in the UK rose by two percent that year. His concerns are shared by Professor Jack McLean, director of the Centre for Automotive Safety Research at Adelaide University.

"The best parallel I can draw with fixed speed cameras whose locations are revealed is with random breath-testing," he said.

"Random breath-testing would not be nearly as effective if it was only conducted in the same set and advertised locations.

"Drink-driving is dangerous wherever you do it and so is speeding."

A policy of concealing all speed cameras is opposed by the NSW Council for Civil Liberties, with council vice-president David Bernie claiming that speed cameras warning signs generally affect driver behaviour positively.

"That achieves the result of slowing people down where they should rather than being a revenue-raising exercise," he said.

"So if you're talking about reducing speeding and lowering the death toll, then we'd have to say that advertising speed cameras is the way to go."

A campaign against speed camera warning signs has been waged by Pedestrian Council of Australia chairman Harold Scruby.

He sites a Monash University Accident Research Centre study that suggests a combination of hidden speed cameras and a high-profile awareness campaign can reduce the road toll.

Victoria boasts Australia's lowest per-capita road toll of 6.6 deaths per 100,000 people while employing a hidden camera only policy, compared to the NSW rate of 7.6.

Mr Shuey puts the effect of speed camera warning signs in simpler terms: "You'd only get a dill caught speeding in those locations, but they'll take a risk elsewhere."

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Victoria boasts Australia's lowest per-capita road toll of 6.6 deaths per 100,000 people while employing a hidden camera only policy, compared to the NSW rate of 7.6.
Considering the difference in the quality of roads between Victoria and New South Wales, why does that statistic not come as a surprise? Attributing the per-capita road toll difference between Victoria and New South Wales to differences in speed camera policy is sure drawing a long bow.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
BlackLS

And also the less land mass Victorians have to cover...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Data is so easy to manipulate. For example that statement for Vic vs NSW, ignoring all other possible factors which may contribute to or reduce road deaths.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
And also the less land mass Victorians have to cover...
and more people live N.S.W.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII XR8 MAN
and more people live N.S.W.
"per-capita"

Old 04-01-2007, 06:38 PM   #7
Wally
XP Coupe

I haven't bothered investigating, but does the avareage road toll increase or decrease over, say the Xmas period? I know there are less cars on the road and more coppers. I doubt there are more drink drivers than an average Friday evening.

Is the holiday road toll heaviest in rural areas and is the police presence distributed on the basis of urban versus rural toll or just on population clusters with a higher policing in relatively lower per capita accident instance?

I suspect there is a hugely disproportionate amount of holiday infringement notices to the traffic volume too, which begs the question why only in holiday periods?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #8
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I know there are less cars on the road and more coppers. I doubt there are more drink drivers than an average Friday evening.
Around here there is alot more traffic over xmas. Driving to Nelson Bay there would be at least twice as much traffic as we'd normally encounter. Its the same back home in Eastern Victoria, the olds said this year they've never seen so much traffic pass through town.

Seems to me that there are too many variables to just point the finger at just one and say this is why.

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 06:54 PM   #9
Wally
XP Coupe

I take it they are rural areas? Was there a correspondingly higher ratio of police presence porportionate to the increased traffic flow?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 10:57 PM   #10
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Why does Harold Scruby poke his nose into everything. Why cant he stick his nose into a hornets nest or something.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 11:54 PM   #11
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its amazing too see they are complaing only because revenue is down.

Simple guys the propaganda campaign has worn off. And people are simply slowing down. The govt has created this holywood type senario. and we keep falling for it.

Speeding and road deaths are not all that signifigant. They only seem like this because of the media beet up.
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #12
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

NSW faces an election next year, the government is resisting moves to remove the 3 x fixed warning signs on approach to our fixed speed cameras.

Ray Shuey the Victorian should take note, as should Harold of NSW;

What our NSW warning signs achieve is to target INATTENTIVE driving, using 'speed' as the methodology of doing so.

Those not paying attention to the road around them are dangerous at any speed, fail to see one of these large signs and your simply not paying full attention. Remove the signs and you instantly lose that ability.

NSW faces an election next year, and both Minister Watkins and NRMA have yesterday opposed Harold Scruby's new campaign of privatising speed camera enforcement, a la Victoria, highlighting that the road authority knows best where to locate fixed speed cameras 'than some private company', as close as practicable to dangerous spots and lengths of road.

We shall see where the NSW Liberal party rests shortly.

I remain 'curious' as to Harolds championing for privatised speed camera enforcement.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #13
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

I will continue to rely on my GPS updates to inform me of cameras...it matters not whether they are hidden or not. Whilst iIdo not condone speeding or and form of reckless driving, I refuse to endange other road users by constantly having my eyes on the speedometer rather than on the road ahead and my surrounding peripherals.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #14
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Victoria's traffic is not nearly as heavy as NSW's, and we also have far more kilometres of roadways (particularly open country ones). So the per-capita comparison is not really relevant.

Hidden camera's simply divert ones attention from the road to the speedometre.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #15
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishxc
... I refuse to endange other road users by constantly having my eyes on the speedometer rather than on the road ahead and my surrounding peripherals.
That's a definite hassle.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 06:34 PM   #16
lowriding
interloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Victoria's traffic is not nearly as heavy as NSW's, and we also have far more kilometres of roadways (particularly open country ones). So the per-capita comparison is not really relevant.

Hidden camera's simply divert ones attention from the road to the speedometre.
yes correct, but lets not let facts get in the way of a harold scruby story !
lowriding is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 07:27 PM   #17
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
What our NSW warning signs achieve is to target INATTENTIVE driving, using 'speed' as the methodology of doing so.
Spot on. I suspect most of the people that get booked by fixed speed cameras in rural areas are actually suffering from fatigue.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #18
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
"per-capita"
The more that live in one area, the higher the chances of some thing happening.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:34 PM   #19
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The more that live in one area, the higher the chances of some thing happening.
And Victoria is more densley populated than New South Wales.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:38 PM   #20
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
And Victoria is more densley populated than New South Wales.
Ok more peolpe live N.S.W so their more chances of thing going wrong.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:43 PM   #21
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok more peolpe live N.S.W so their more chances of thing going wrong.

Per-Capita Definition: Average per person
Old 05-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #22
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Per-Capita Definition: Average per person
The more you have, the higher the odds. Nothing to do with average.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #23
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And they needed to enlist the help of an expert to know this _

Any ******* motorist can tell you they DON'T WORK!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2007, 12:36 AM   #24
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Harold Scruby is like Germaine Greer; as engaging as a bucket of smashed crabs and constantly coming out with insidious remarks in order to remain relevent. I wonder where screw ball scrubie sits on speeding when it comes to overtaking? Would he prefer us to observe the limit and take three times as long on the wrong side of the road? I mean, his message is simple right, every K over is a killer; I drove from Melbourne to Sydney today and overtook cars on the single lane goat tracks of NSW and guess what, I had to speed up to avoid accidents. Luckily screwball wasn't in a bush with his camera as I would be an instant criminal.
Actually, when you think about it why is someone who is primarily concerned with pedestrians (ie the pedestrian council of Oz) so concerned about motorists, something that the cardigan wearing, camry driving moron wouldn't know about?
The whole idea of a pedestrian representative trying to stipulate how a cars domain works, where his expertise is for an area outside of the cars domain is ridiculous. It's sort of like wiping before you poop..... It don't make sense.

Speed Cameras are primarily a short term cash cow, and secondarily a form of proxy policing. They force your attention of the road and have caused as many accidents as they have allegedly prevented. My source for this info is as reliable as the official governmental ahem "studies" - after all, I plucked my source from the same air that they did. Studies in the UK have shown the removal of speed cameras does serve to reduce accidents and death rates.

Quote: