Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
fangq

Default Repeater speed signs

Had a bit of a win after approaching our local member re increased signage along a 5km stretch of road. The road in question ( about 25 kms of it ) has varying linear speed limits and carries a LOT of tourist traffic. The stretch that concerned me had the limit dropped from 100 to 80 km/h, and quickly became a happy hunting ground for law enforcement.

The reply I had back from Main Roads notes that speed signs in 8o km/h zones are generally spaced at intervals of no greater than 2 mins travel time, which equates to approx 2.7 kms between signs. Looks like someone didn't do their homework when they reduced the speed limit.i.e 5 kms between signs You can have a look see at section 5.2.6 at site (http://www.mainroads.qld.gov.au/Busi...l-devices.aspx )

I'll let the lawyers in the group debate traffic infringement legality in an area where the road signage doesn't meet recommended criteria :-)

I'm also betting that the mobile speed cameras in that area will vanish as the new data flows through the system.

I'm aware that people exceed recommended speeds for all sorts of reasons, but in my opinion, the road in question is confusing, particularly if you aren't a local.

Steve

fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Is there any logical reason for the speed reduction, ie driveways, side roads or housing etc?
Old 22-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
Valid8
COOGES

About 10 years ago I got off an unintentional speeding ticket because the repeater signs were too far apart in a roadwork zone, I took photos soon after and talked to the workmen at the site, I took follow-up photos the next day when they were rearranged correctly.
Valid8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Is there any logical reason for the speed reduction, ie driveways, side roads or housing etc?
Quite valid reasons with development either side of the road, so I have no problems with the new zone. Interestingly, most people I have seen ticketed get done traveling north, as they have just gone from Bruce Highway 110 to 100, drop to 80 town intersection, back to 100, drop to 80, ( town intersection ) THEN stay at 80. Steve Irwin Way if anyone is interested.
Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool speed signs

In QLD as far as I know when a speed limit is reduced on a section of road the signs are replaced with the apropiate sign (obviously) but the gov give the motorists 2 months grace to get used to the new limits
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

So what are you to do when there are no speed signs at all??

There is a stretch of road I travel on twice a day, that has no speed signs along its entire length. I only travel along about 6km of it, but I know the whole road has none at all.

The really annoying thing about this road in particular is occasionally there will be about 5 or 6 govenment cars parked on the side, for mobile speed camera operator training.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen
So what are you to do when there are no speed signs at all??

There is a stretch of road I travel on twice a day, that has no speed signs along its entire length. I only travel along about 6km of it, but I know the whole road has none at all.

The really annoying thing about this road in particular is occasionally there will be about 5 or 6 govenment cars parked on the side, for mobile speed camera operator training.

If there are no speed signs, then the speed is the state default. In Vic, that's 50km/h in urban, built-up areas and 100km/h otherwise.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post