Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 20-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
marshro

Default 8 or turbo ?

just wondering what is less noticeable to cops out of a xr8 or xr6t e.g noise looks and so on ???
if any one has sound clips of either in stock form let me know

thanks Rory

[SIZE=3]2004 Ba xr6 ute in blueprint Typhoon upper and lower CAI! BMC air filter and a custom exhaust with pacemaker extractors with magna flow hi flo cat!! kicker 12" solo baric L5 with 1000w response mono block and 2 6" moral splits up front! And alpine 6x9 type R for the back with a 4ch genisis amp! lots of mods to come! (under drive cams LSD and custom tune with blue power cai [/SIZE

custom gear knobs! http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349707
Old 20-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 8 or turbo ?

Depends on how you drive them, and how you present your car.

I own a XR8 ute, it's loud and obnoxious at the best of times. Yet, it's clean, neat and driven very casually.

All that aside, you could easily debadge the XR6T and no one's the wiser.

Old 20-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an FG XR8 with go faster stripes and never get a look at from the cops.
Driven both XR6T and of course XR8 and both are nice and quiet.

I'd suggest and XR6T, remove the turbo badge and your back to a rep mobile XR6 looks wise so the cop's arn't gonna look twice
Old 20-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshro
just wondering what is less noticeable to cops
I can honestly say i never once considered this when buying a car...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 20-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its how you drive them mate, if your sensible on the road theres nothing to worry about
Old 20-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
marshro

haha ye but when you need to fly under the radar it comes into my mind haha it doesn't fuss me if i cant have an exhaust and what not because its go so much more power already + a custom tune and your set!
[SIZE=3]2004 Ba xr6 ute in blueprint Typhoon upper and lower CAI! BMC air filter and a custom exhaust with pacemaker extractors with magna flow hi flo cat!! kicker 12" solo baric L5 with 1000w response mono block and 2 6" moral splits up front! And alpine 6x9 type R for the back with a 4ch genisis amp! lots of mods to come! (under drive cams LSD and custom tune with blue power cai [/SIZE

Old 20-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
I can honestly say i never once considered this when buying a car...
Must admit .... me neither! As said ........ it is how you drive it ...... not what it sounds or looks like.

7 years on the road with the Landau is testament to that.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 20-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't see how it would make any difference between the two. They basicly look the same except for a bonnet bulge. As for noise, as long as the XR8 has a stock exhaust system there wouldn't be anything extra noticeable either
Old 20-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
marshro

i just think v8 loud bonnet bulge an goes like stink and xr6t is quiet simple / plain and goes like **** off a shovel!

Old 20-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
05_ENFORCER

Some people attract attention no matter what car they drive

Old 20-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
haha ye but when you need to fly under the radar it comes into my mind haha
Well if you are "On The Lam" maybe you should catch the bus.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 20-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Mines loud, gets the shakes etc
Here's what I mean, this is my car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LmVxlZM_Sk

Never been pulled over, but I don't have provocative stickers or number that announce my name as Wayne Kerr.
Be sensible dont draw negative attention to yourself and you won't have problems.
Old 20-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
Mikk_85
Starter Motor

V8 for sure.
Old 20-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
B-1B
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
just wondering what is less noticeable to cops out of a xr8 or xr6t e.g noise looks and so on ???
if any one has sound clips of either in stock form let me know
thanks Rory
Last car was an EL XR8 in Dark Blue with a noticable rumble and always got pulled up at any RBT I was near.
Now in a FG XR6T in silver and rarely get pulled in for RBT.

Why are antagonist posts from members with high post counts so common now?
Old 20-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why did you start this thread when the one you started a few days ago is still going

Obviously it's personal preference, driving style and your attitude to how the car looks.

If you have it cleanly modified, I doubt you will get much attention. But if you have it running without springs, scraping the ground on stockies with no exhaust at all, I presume you will have issues with either car.
Old 20-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #16
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

The Ute is pretty loud if you punch it, plod doesn't worry me though, I mean, the hat, the roo bar and an RTV, not a very likely hoon really.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 20-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #17
marshro

ye i just want be able to drive down the road like anyone els and not get pulled over every 2 min even tho im not doing anything wrong im really quite a sensible driver my car has never been sideways or seen a burnout

Old 20-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #18
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

like said above depends how you drive it. my turbo is loud (108db's) and the car is blinged up big wheels way to low and many other things but simply i just cruise around alot of the time and dont have trouble. even have a cop roll down his window and say it looks good, even though anyone would be able to tell im to low
Old 20-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #19
Dilzzyy
XR6T Member

I reckon the xr6t is less noticeable. p platers seem to buy em and take the turbo badge off thinking they wont get pulled over.

FG XR6T 50TH ANNIVERSARY SOLD
Old 20-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #20
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not suggesting it but i did it for 6 months got rbt'd once and with out the badge and bog stock most cops wont know, however i consider myself very lucky and only did it as my ba N/a 6 was crashed and didnt want to waste money buying a car in 6 months i would hate
Old 20-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #21
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

It will not make any difference if you drive an 8 cylinder or forced induction 6 when it comes to police pulling you over.

Other variables such as modifications and especially as another poster stated, the way you drive are the reasons police will intercept you.
Old 20-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #22
martyk54

Quote:
ye i just want be able to drive down the road like anyone els and not get pulled over every 2 min even tho im not doing anything wrong im really quite a sensible driver my car has never been sideways or seen a burnout
As others have said, it's totally YOU not the car. People who lower their car a lot (often illegal), tint the windows too dark (illegal), put loud exhausts (often illegal), huge rims, gay after market lights, dumb personalised plates, doof doof loud music etc, don't need to do anything wrong, they'll get pulled over for doing nothing. I know, I have a mate who's a cop and he does it all the time... "you'll pick the idiots up for something" he says.

It's your choice. The way I look at it is, only dick heads get treated like dick heads.
Old 20-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #23
Dilzzyy
XR6T Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
not suggesting it but i did it for 6 months got rbt'd once and with out the badge and bog stock most cops wont know, however i consider myself very lucky and only did it as my ba N/a 6 was crashed and didnt want to waste money buying a car in 6 months i would hate
Is it instant loss of licence if you get pulled over and get done for high powered vehicle?

FG XR6T 50TH ANNIVERSARY SOLD
Old 20-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #24
Jonno ba
TRADIE

I got pulled over for speeding once and the undercovers told me they know first hand how quick the XR6T can be and how easy it is to speed in... Load system will get there att good or bad.... So no skids hey.
Old 20-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #25
martyk54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSERIES
I reckon the xr6t is less noticeable. p platers seem to buy em and take the turbo badge off thinking they wont get pulled over.
Wonder how many have come unstuck in accidents. I can tell you now that the Insurance Company assesers will know exactly what they're looking at. Whoops... no insurance.
Old 20-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #26
marshro

can you get insurance for a turbo or 8 if your under 21 ? i always put my cars in my dads name and get insurance under his name

Old 20-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #27
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSERIES
Is it instant loss of licence if you get pulled over and get done for high powered vehicle?
No, just points and a fine
Old 20-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #28
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Doesn't matter who's name it's under. If you're not meant to be driving that vehicle due to licence restrictions, then insurance will wipe their hands of it if you come unstuck.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Old 20-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #29
marshro

i call up the insurance company and they said the same thing if you shouldn't be driving it well your #(%&( for insurance so i don't know anymore :P

Old 20-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #30
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Turbo for sure.... My mates f6 made 350rwkw and it drives like a baby. No one looks at him.
Closed Thread