Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
krt10
eskyman

Default it is getting harder to be responsible

ok so a little rant here.

last Friday night me and a few mates went out for a few drinks. had a good night and we went to drive home. my mate only had a couple drinks over a few hours (full license too) so he said he would drive. on the walk back to the car we walked past a RBT that was set up.

my mate although 99% sure he was fine to drive ( like i said 2 beers in 4 odd hours) thought that he would check just in case. he is wanting to become a police officer himself and doesn't need any driving record against his name.

anyway we walked up to the RBT (which was deserted) and he asked if he could be checked. the officer replied that she couldn't check him but if he liked he could "drive around to the RBT and get checked in the car"
now who would do that, i mean he was trying to be responsibe and got told that he could drive thru where if he was over (he clearley wasnt) i bet they would have thrown the book at him.

in the end he drove home as he would have been fine but i just thought it was utterly ridiculous

Old 28-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm.. Ok many years ago I was walking along the nightclub strip and I blew in the bag when I went past the RBT. Though on that occasion the Police officer was a mate and had recognised me.

I wonder what the policy is these days???

And yes its sounds pretty poor in terms of public relations, when you consider that some Police visit the pubs and clubs with a breathilizer to show patrons if they are ok or not.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They need to meet quotas for number of people tested in cars. They could have been even more difficult and said yes, but they could then book you for being drunk in a public place if you blew over the limit! Don't laugh - i have a friend who had exactly the same situation as you with that said to them
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The machines record all readings and are downloaded by their boss at the end of the shift. If there's a positive reading and no body to go with it the copper has some explaining to do, that is, did he let someone go who was over the limit.
Old 28-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
The machines record all readings and are downloaded by their boss at the end of the shift. If there's a positive reading and no body to go with it the copper has some explaining to do, that is, did he let someone go who was over the limit.
Good point - was unaware of that one!
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 28-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
ohzone
Dent Removal

So the system should be that if the guy blows over the officer gets a commendation for keeping a possible drunk driver off the road
isn't it about road safety ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
ohzone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
krt10
eskyman

yeah fair enough. i didnt relise that either
Old 28-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

They also have no legal right to breathalyze a person that is not seen controlling a vehicle by the police officer (this is in QLD).

I had a situation where a cyclist who was clearly intoxicated, returning from the pub, was found unconscious in the middle of the road. His situation was called in and we responded lights and siren. When we arrived we were able to rouse him, he was asleep in the middle of the intersection at night (dangerous, so hard to see that we almost ran him over). Once we woke him up he denied riding the bike, which was beside him, he had grazes consistent with a bike accident and helmet on.

We had police on scene and I asked them if they wanted to interview him and breath test him. They interviewed him and he denied riding a bike. The police then told me because they did not see him riding the bike, they have no right to breath test him and no charges would be laid.

The guy then tried to refuse to go to hospital for assessment but I forced him to go, I am allowed to by law if I believe the patient has reduced capacity to look after their own safety and no one is present to take that responsibility (the fact that he was intoxicated and asleep in the middle of the intersection was enough for me).

In your situation, perhaps a better response from the cop would have been "if you are in doubt, perhaps you should get a cab". I am sure his senior sergeant would not be happy with his response. Suggesting that someone that is unsure about their ability to drive to get behind the wheel to get tested, none of the senior sergeants or duty officers I know would approve of that.
Old 28-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another angle to look at is this; If the officer lets him blow, and he blows under, say .04, and then proceeds to have another drink or for whatever reason he has an accident or gets done later up the road and blows above .05, the driver can protest and argue that the cop tested him and said he was fine...

Sucks, but unfortunately these are the times we live in.
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyxr6t04
Another angle to look at is this; If the officer lets him blow, and he blows under, say .04, and then proceeds to have another drink or for whatever reason he has an accident or gets done later up the road and blows above .05, the driver can protest and argue that the cop tested him and said he was fine...

Further to that good point, don't know if you guys are aware but alcohol rises for 2 hours after your last drink then starts to drop, so after 4 hours your reading will be what your reading would have been when you had your last drink 4 hours previous.
Complicated I know but there you go.
Old 29-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #11
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Sadly its always for the best not to risk it, 2 beers is fine if you ask me but as some other members have stated its a complicated process at times
Old 29-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Yeah we had this problem once, after a new years night, wanted to go camping the next day so we walked to the cop shop to see if they could breathe test us and see if anyone was right to drive, were quite rudely told to go home. Wouldn't of thought it would be to hard to make sure we were ok to drive, guess so.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a Random Breathe Test, not a free clinic to check your BAC. Regardless of whether your mate thought he was doing the right thing to find out from the police if he's had too much too drink, he's not really showing any responsibility at all. Ok, so he drinks within the limits to ensure he's under .05, that's great, but the real responsible thing to do, is not drink and drive. 1 beer or 10 beers. If your going to have a drink, then don't get behind the wheel. The role of the police here is to catch those people who want to break the law. Governments do the educating and write the laws. The police are there to enforce the laws and to get the point through the thick heads of drunk drivers.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #14
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
It's a Random Breathe Test, not a free clinic to check your BAC. Regardless of whether your mate thought he was doing the right thing to find out from the police if he's had too much too drink, he's not really showing any responsibility at all. Ok, so he drinks within the limits to ensure he's under .05, that's great, but the real responsible thing to do, is not drink and drive. 1 beer or 10 beers. If your going to have a drink, then don't get behind the wheel. The role of the police here is to catch those people who want to break the law. Governments do the educating and write the laws. The police are there to enforce the laws and to get the point through the thick heads of drunk drivers.
A bit harsh dont you think,
The guys doing a very sensible thing i would have thought, and cops wonder why people dont have respect for them, your answer if coming from a cop would explain why they dont.
remember its only illegal to drive over the limit not under it,
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Bucky - spot on; couldn't agree more. For me the BAC should be 0. The current limit is based on all drivers (or drinkers) starting off with equal driving ability, and we all know that's true, don't we! Any alcohol in the system impairs ability in some way, and for some people who are already poor drivers, even a readin of 0.01 would impair them too much to be an effective driver.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #16
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
A bit harsh dont you think,
The guys doing a very sensible thing i would have thought, and cops wonder why people dont have respect for them, your answer if coming from a cop would explain why they dont.
remember its only illegal to drive over the limit not under it,
The sensible thing would have been to 1) monitor his own consumption so he knew he was under the prescribed limit and 2) made an assesment about weather he was in a fit condition to drive.
As has been said the Police would have to justify an "over" reading without a charge..
The onus is on the drivers to be responsible, not put it back on the police to check....

Old 29-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #17
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Bucky - spot on; couldn't agree more. For me the BAC should be 0. The current limit is based on all drivers (or drinkers) starting off with equal driving ability, and we all know that's true, don't we! Any alcohol in the system impairs ability in some way, and for some people who are already poor drivers, even a readin of 0.01 would impair them too much to be an effective driver.
Nope, sorry, but you are wrong.
Your reflexes actually IMPROVE with a small amount of alcohol in your system, but your concentration gets worse. This little known but confirmed evidence is then layed over crash stats. What you find is that the improvement in reflexes drops off after the 0.05 mark, resulting in a noticable worsening of driver performance. That is why it is set at 0.05 - you are not really at an increased risk until you get to this level. So a blanket 0.00 will not change the amount of crashes or fatalities.
The other thing to remember is that many medications have some alcohol in them, as do some chocolates. So it would be easy to trip up with some of these in your system, despite not drinking any alcohol...
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 29-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #18
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8 Uterous
Yeah we had this problem once, after a new years night, wanted to go camping the next day so we walked to the cop shop to see if they could breathe test us and see if anyone was right to drive, were quite rudely told to go home. Wouldn't of thought it would be to hard to make sure we were ok to drive, guess so.
And you guys thought that was a great idea at the time?

I'm not sure you're OK to drive NOW.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #19
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For those interested there's a few online BAC calculators. Whilst perhaps not very accurate, they do give a good idea of what your BAC 'might' be.

Type BAC calculator into google. I tried the r u ****ed one and was pretty surprised that even after 14hrs, your BAC may still be above .02, or even .05.

I tried a variety of combinations etc, and the results (if some what accurate), are quite scary. Especially if you're the sort of person to smack down 7 or 8 'spirit' type drinks and a few beers in the arvo/night and then have to drive early in the morning!

For example, for my details. Start drinking at 4pm, consume 4 beers and 7 nips of a 40% spirit. At 5am my BAC could still possibly be .053. This doesn't take into account when your last drink is, so perhaps it assumes you drink from 4pm till 5am. Regardless, alcohol still takes time to rid itself from the breath/body. So even if i finished drinking at 9pm, i could still be over the limit!

For those that drink often, think about how easy it is to knock back 4 or so beers in two hours, and then a few shots an hour after that?
Old 29-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #20
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
And you guys thought that was a great idea at the time?

I'm not sure you're OK to drive NOW.
Yes.. if people are even questioning weather they're safe to drive or not then they're NOT...

Old 29-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #21
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i drive like a bloody champ after a few beers....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #22
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
For example, for my details. Start drinking at 4pm, consume 4 beers and 7 nips of a 40% spirit. At 5am my BAC could still possibly be .053. This doesn't take into account when your last drink is, so perhaps it assumes you drink from 4pm till 5am. Regardless, alcohol still takes time to rid itself from the breath/body. So even if i finished drinking at 9pm, i could still be over the limit!
Not sure about anyone else but that is a sh!tload of alcohol to have after work and go to work the next day.

I'm surprise the reading is not higher the next day.

Is that how much you drink regularly?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #23
Scott

Quote:

If you have had 10 beers in 30 mins, you may register .03. Without having another drink you may register .07 at the end of the hour and Plod will have sent you on your merry way. This is the version I have been given on numerous times over the years.

The thing I don't get is, what magical difference to your BAC performance over the next time period does it make if you are sitting in a car or walking?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #24
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a rough guide the "average" guy will metabolise about 1 std drink per hour, you will be at 0.05 after 2 std drinks in the first hour, if you have 12 std drinks spaced out evenly in a night it will take about 12 hours from the time you started drinking to get under 0.05...

Old 29-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #25
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Not sure about anyone else but that is a sh!tload of alcohol to have after work and go to work the next day.

I'm surprise the reading is not higher the next day.

Is that how much you drink regularly?
lol... nah mate, i don't drink that much, i was just putting in various sets of data to see what the outcome would be. Besides, i work 12hr shifts, so i usually limit myself to 2 or 3 beers tops after a dayshift. Usually don't drink at all if i'm on a block of days on, we have a zero alcohol policy, so it's not worth the risk!

Having said that, if i know that if i'm on days off, i could on occasion knock back that many drinks at the pub, especially if i have something on with friends! But i know that i'm not required to drive anywhere the next day!

Realistically, 2 drinks an hour isn't all that hard to achieve... So over 5 or 6hrs, the tally climbs quickly, especially if drinking spirits!
Old 29-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #26
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 drinks an hour is very easy to achieve - a stubby is 1.5 standard drinks. So having a 6 pack puts your tally up to 9 standard measures. 9 hours to work that one off!
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 29-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #27
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Oh here we go again!.. Bloody wowsers.
I thought prohibition ended in the 30's?
Really, is there a need for people to push their moralistic tripe down our throats every time a .05 thread is raised?

Peoples, it's about taking responsibility for your own actions!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #28
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
2 drinks an hour is very easy to achieve - a stubby is 1.5 standard drinks. So having a 6 pack puts your tally up to 9 standard measures. 9 hours to work that one off!
Yep, exactly! When i'm at the pub i usually knock back at least 3 beers in the first hour, then i'll slow a bit. Then usually 2 or 3 JD & cokes an hour. So in 3hrs i could easily put down 3 beers, and about 4 or 6 JDs.

Luckily the wife doesn't really drink, so i always have a driver
Old 29-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #29
nang3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Yes.. if people are even questioning weather they're safe to drive or not then they're NOT...

the only time i want to try and get breatho'd before driving is not because i dont think i can drive safely, its to preserve my license!!

I dont DD or condone it but sometimes after a couple of lunchtime pints and about to drive home the questoin enters your head even if you are feeling 100% sober whether or not your level may still be over the limit.

I've been refused breathos before plenty of times, once the coppers basically told me to GTFO of the station or they would arrest me for disorderly conduct - i wasnt drunk but had requested a breatho while they were in the middle of watching the Grand Final !!! Excellent community policing right there.
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #30
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nang3

I've been refused breathos before plenty of times, once the coppers basically told me to GTFO of the station or they would arrest me for disorderly conduct - i wasnt drunk but had requested a breatho while they were in the middle of watching the Grand Final !!! Excellent community policing right there.
I still think that it is a service and an opportunity for education to test someone who is not driving.
If you are under - they can say it was great that you erred on the side of caution, but to remember that just 1 more drink could put you over.
If you are over - they can say it was great that you were not driving, and a walk is great to work off the effects, and it always pay to err on the side of caution.
This could only build rapport, and it is providing education and safety measures.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush