Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Default Mulally Out to Make Lincoln World Class Brand

Link to article & Video

Quote:
Ford's Mulally Out to Make Lincoln World Class Brand

When Ford CEO Alan Mulally joined me on "Squawk Box" Friday for an extended conversation about where the Blue Oval is today and where it's headed, he didn't shy away from proclaiming the Lincoln brand must provide a true world class experience for buyers.Mulally's said this before and he'll say again. But it was clear from talking with him that he not only knows just what Lincoln has to do but the reason why thinks it will eventually get there.

First, Mulally is aware Lincoln is trailing its competition. It's the #7 luxury brand in terms of sales this year.

When I told him that I've talked many in the industry who scoff at the idea of Lincoln becoming every bit as competitive as Lexus and BMW, Mulally gave me his trademark smile that masks what he's truly thinking: Just you wait and see what we're going to build with Lincoln. Using technology and continued refinement in styling and interiors, Mulally expects Lincoln to continue improving.

Mulally told me, "Lincoln has a great brand. It has never been damaged to a place where it cant come back. So again, one more time, when you start seeing these Lincolns come out we absolutely can make them a premium brand."

Just as important, Mulally knows Lincoln has to provide a world class ownership experience. That means Lincoln dealerships that are as refined and that pampers customers as much as Lexus or Cadillac dealerships.

In others words, they need to get with the times. There are many Lincoln dealers who have top notch dealerships. There are also many other that need to pick it up. In short, if Lincoln is gonna win over luxury buyers it will have to do more. A lot more.

Mulally says, ""we absolutely are going to provide a premium experience"

With the job Mulally has done turning around Ford and and the job global product chief Derek Kuzak has done breathing life into Lincoln, they've earned the right for us to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe Lincoln can become a hit in the luxury market.
Old 14-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
g220ba
FGX XR8

Very interesting read there Falc'man. Don't wanna tread on your toes but here's a direct link to the full interview with Mullaly which i found to be a very interesting interview.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1519327864&play=1

Interesting how he says he drives a different vehicle every night including competitors to keep on top of what they're doing. It really does continue to look good for ford going into the future.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Lincoln, your premium RWD sedan is ready.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Next Fairlane..LTD ?????????????????????????????
Old 14-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If ever there was an opportunity to leverage off the RWD expertise of Ford Australia - this is it!

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

All too slow, unless Ford NA has been secretly working on a RWD up until now,
a minimum of three years is needed to get an engineered vehicle like Fairlane to the USA....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

This will be another genuine mullaly gem, I can tell. They must have something up their sleeves, and it must be good, for it to apparently be enough to rival a BMW or Lexus.
Let's see what they've got eh...
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 12:17 AM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
a minimum of three years is needed to get an engineered vehicle like Fairlane to the USA....

haha, where's the picture of the Falcon(from the proving grounds) with lincoln written on the rear quarter.
Old 15-06-2010, 12:19 AM   #9
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if world-class also means global? Hopefully that's the long-term plan.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 12:30 AM   #10
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just spent a few weeks in the US and saw a few Lincolns on the roads. For the most part they look great, but too obviously based on their Ford counterpart.

On that theme, this is an interesting article;

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6656935/...ght/index.html

Right now Lincoln doesn't have a car based model with RWD or V8 , but Cadillac, and any other luxury make worth mentioning, do. Surely that would have to change for them to be truely competitive.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Lincoln is very well respected in the USA.
It has topped the satisfied owners list for years, and is revered as a top of the line brand, even more than Cadillac is now.
The reason for this, is that lincoln has stayed straight and true, Cadillac on the others have had real clangers like the "Cimarron", and the one where they made a V8 petrol into a Diesel which had the EPA at your door everytime you started it. Then there's been the other models which started off nice, but the rear looked as though it had melted.

Nope, Lincoln has one hell of a future and watch this space, Mulally is the genuine article. What he's done to ford is beyond amazing; this guy just keeps getting better and better. Methinks what GM and Chrysler really need is a Mulally in their respective head offices. For those in doubt just remember one other Mulally creation - the Boeing 777. Nuff said?

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #12
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
No where in that article does it gave a time line! So, nothing is "too" slow..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Hmmm Lincoln G8E sounds nice
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The only thing they could do with the Falcon at this point in time is copy the tooling and make them in the US. And of course do all the arsing around to make it LHD, but by the time they have finished, it will be closer to the 2014 deadline than you think, and one would imagine that an 'answer' to the 'RWD question' has been given by that time making the interim RWD Lincoln a bit redundant.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 15-06-2010, 11:03 PM   #15
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by wescoent
Falcon and Mustang cannot share a platform, but they will be sharing many components to bring costs down.

Fields, Kuzak, and Mulally all like the Falcon a lot.

Old 16-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Falcon and Mustang cannot share a platform, but they will be sharing many components to bring costs down.
I was under the impression that the smarty-pants at FoA had devised a solution to the problem of different rear floor requirements for the two cars...

Old 16-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #17
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hopefully it will be powered by General Electric ;)
Old 16-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #18
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
No where in that article does it gave a time line! So, nothing is "too" slow..
You don't understand the time line, Town car production is finished by September next year
and Mulally halted all work continuing on RWD sedans for North America in favor of D3 Taurus FWD/AWD.
And since no engineering has been done on a Lincoln RWD or Fairlane, it will take at least three years to happen, E8 will be nearing the end of it's product cycle by then so launching a vehicle so late isn't practical.

And also I was responding to the four posts above mine:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Next Fairlane..LTD ?????????????????????????????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
If ever there was an opportunity to leverage off the RWD expertise of Ford Australia - this is it!
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 11:29 PM   #19
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man

That sounds extremely promising. Cant wait to see how a supercharged coyote and ZF might go in the stang.....
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 12:59 AM   #20
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It sounds like outside of North America, people still think of the Lincoln brand as having the "Town Car" image in their heads when they think of Lincoln, or big old luxo-barges with headlight covers and a vinyl roof with a massive V8. The Fairlane/LTD slowed down in sales in Australia for a reason. It's not going to work here in the US either. I think Mulally is trying to make the brand more high tech and current, not bring it back in to the dinosaur age. I think we will see short wheel base cars, AWD and more EcoBoost (perhaps based on the 3.7 and 5.0 engines). I am thinking 8 speed autos will become common in Lincolns very quickly. I wouldn't rule out RWD, but I don't think we will see a LWB, RWD grandpa car. Just my opinion.
Old 17-06-2010, 01:14 AM   #21
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
I wouldn't rule out RWD, but I don't think we will see a LWB, RWD grandpa car. Just my opinion.
I agree the world has moved on from town cars. The vibe im getting is that they want lincoln to be to ford what lexus is to toyota. Premium product and service in exchange for premium money. Im not sure if itll work here in Aus but UAE, Asia, Russia?????
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #22
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/02/r...the-end-of-20/

Quote:
Report: Lincoln MKT, Ford Flex to be phased out at end of 2013?

by Jonathon Ramsey (RSS feed) on Aug 2nd 2010 at 10:31AM

Doesn't it seem like only yesterday that Ford was in charge of seven different brands? Now The Blue Oval is down to two, Ford and Lincoln, after today's sale of Volvo to Chinese automaker Geely and the pending execution of Mercury. This means more energy and money will be available to plot success for Ford and Lincoln, and according to a report in Automotive News, that means Lincoln could get "a compact, front-drive car or crossover" (Lincoln Concept C, anyone?) and perhaps a model based on the next Ford Mondeo. Not exactly what we would have expected from Ford's luxury brand, but times change.

A small taste of what's in store for Lincoln: the MKX will get a redesign next year, the same year that the venerable Town Car dies, and, according to AN, a brand-new MKX with a design less like the Edge will appear in 2014. The MKZ gets a new look in 2013, which could be the last year for the controversial Ford Flex/Lincoln MKT and Navigator, perhaps replaced by an Explorer-based crossover or an SUV with more chops for rough terrain. Hopefully, they'll also rework that whole MK-Random-Letter approach to nomenclature as well.

The more germane revelation is this: Ford apparently believes Lincoln's success is contingent on putting lots of daylight between Ford and Lincoln engineering. Lincoln models need to be more distinct from their Ford counterparts in everything from engines to styling to feature sets. That might mean a lot more luxury features and refinement could be making their way into Lincolns soon – and that's something increasingly anxious Lincoln dealers ought to be able to get behind.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #23
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
I was under the impression that the smarty-pants at FoA had devised a solution to the problem of different rear floor requirements for the two cars...

Falcon can be share platforms, there is nothing stopping it.

I thought the Commodore/Camaro is the perfect evidence of it, although the falcon probally can't do it with the ease of the Zeta...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #24
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Falcon can be share platforms, there is nothing stopping it.

I thought the Commodore/Camaro is the perfect evidence of it, although the falcon probally can't do it with the ease of the Zeta...
Perfect evidence of how it doesn't work you mean - adapting a sedan platform for coupe use has led to a Camaro with compromises.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #25
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Perfect evidence of how it doesn't work you mean - adapting a sedan platform for coupe use has led to a Camaro with compromises.
Yep, not to mention the issues that the fastback creates (as discussed in another thread, sunken rear seating required).

Also, that White Lincoln car look UGLY!

I do hope they do use some of our Falcon though. If it goes global, it will eventually be realised as a cheaper car for us to buy as well (allowing it to take it to the Jap makers)
kypez is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #26
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
It sounds like outside of North America, people still think of the Lincoln brand as having the "Town Car" image in their heads when they think of Lincoln, or big old luxo-barges with headlight covers and a vinyl roof with a massive V8.
certainly top gear's impression of 'luxury' usa made cars is that they are big (american's idea of luxury is bigness), but use yucky cheap plastics, so don't have a luxury feel that europeans expect. if lincoln don't overcome that, they will fail rest-of-world.

Does Ford NA have a performance brand like FPV? maybe that's where we could get falcon into the states?
When can we start sending falcons to the UK?

Last edited by aussie muscle; 04-08-2010 at 10:34 AM.
aussie muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #27
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I doubt very much any RWD product from Australia based on the Falcon or Territory will ever go to America.

Seems to me the markets Ford has its eyes on for Lincoln are China, the Middle East, and Europe.

Whether or not the products in mind for these markets will include RWD remains to be seen. I can totally see a premium RWD Lincoln car (or cars) taking off in the Middle East, maybe Europe, particularly if economical engines are offered. I guess the question that needs to be answered is: are RWD vehicles still important to Ford?

Old 04-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #28
kiwimark

That white thing looks like a quintessential American Barge. Almost as ugly as this Pontiac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.pontiac.aztek.f34.500.jpg (49.2 KB, 55 views)
kiwimark is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #29
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
certainly top gear's impression of 'luxury' usa made cars is that they are big (american's idea of luxury is bigness), but use yucky cheap plastics, so don't have a luxury feel that europeans expect. if lincoln don't overcome that, they will fail rest-of-world.

Does Ford NA have a performance brand like FPV? maybe that's where we could get falcon into the states?
When can we start sending falcons to the UK?
I think the perception of Lincoln outside of North America is just that "perception." I don't believe any of the current Lincolns are like that anymore. But I believe marketing-wise, there is still a ways to go. Especially to promote what Lincoln is today, to the rest of the world (that still think of Town Cars). I wouldn't say the cars are perfected yet, but they are certainly not sub-par. They are still too close to the mainstream Fords. Ford itself is moving more upmarket, but Lincoln has to go 2 up again, so I'm not saying being close to Ford is a bad thing. They just need to do something that is mind-blowingly good. I'm still not even sure if Mulally means just world-class, or a serious global player.

Mercury is dead... good riddance to it, it was a dying brand. I think Ford and Lincoln will pick up a lot of Jaguar and Land Rover technology and class.
Ford has several performance brands around the world, that I think it needs to consolidate. You have FPV that specialize on the Falcon, SVT that specializes on the F-150 Raptor and Mustang, then all these third party developers including Prodrive, Cosworth, Roush, Saleen.

I think there needs to be one global genuine Ford name on all the cars. It could be SVT, it could be FPV... in reality it doesn't matter which one, it's just a three letter acronym, but they might as well have a global sports brand. They should still be under the Ford brand, so not totally separated like HSV is from Holden. The same name for the top of the line sporty Fiesta should be on the F-150 Raptor and the Falcon GT-HO. Yes, I just said it.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #30
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Well said chevypower. I was once given a tip about SVT and FPV; it was a while ago and I'm not sure consolidation is still in the pipeline. There's also the RS division in Europe.

And regarding your question as to what extent they're willing to go with Lincoln...

Plans for Lincoln are growing, too. “It could go worldwide,” Mulally said.

Ford has other challenges too. The decision to sell all of its luxury brands puts the spotlight on Lincoln, whose year-to-date sales are behind seven other luxury brands

“We bought all those other premium brands, right? So we invested less in Lincoln,” Mulally said. “But now with those other brands gone… I think it could go worldwide.”

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11268076

Another little (very recent) tip was the new 5 litre in a Lincoln....