Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What was more important, the Ford Territory or the Holden VE Commodore?

I keep hearing all this praise for the VE Commodore and how its the greatest engineering feat in Australias automotive history and the usual praise Holden gets from the media but I never seem to understand why the Territory never gets as much recognition, I know it was based on the BA floor pan but it was a completely ground up design, a car of its nature has not been done in australia before and its a truly fantastic car, the VE Commodore although its a great car also and was a complete ground up design I dont see how it as so special seem as though it is very similar to a VZ and a lot of the design and materials are based on the previous models experience.

Both Australian designed and made yet the Commodore gets all the praise, go figure?

ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Short memory?

Territory received lots of praise and accolades when it was released, all the motoring journos couldn't shut up about it.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

^^ what road warrior said.

Not sure what's so good about the VE?? Shoehorn engines into a overrated platform. Maybe getting that oversized pussy to stick onto the grill and not break it?
Old 11-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe some of Territories woes in Cars Guide are taking the shine off what was and still is a shining beacon in Ford Oz's history......?
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
SSbaby
Banned

Does the US Ford Freestyle ring a bell?

I believe there is some similarity between it and Territory.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know the Territory did get some awards, but the media never went on and on about it like they do with the VE commodore, for some reason in carsguide they even call the VE the hero car??
Old 11-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby

It's based on that maybe? I always read it was ground up, maybe wrong?
Old 11-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #8
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:

Yep - and it's only exterior design - still, Territory came first...
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #9
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

some people still don't know that the territory is Australian *face-palm

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

hmm

The FG Falcon is a much better car then the VE Commodore.. It kills it in every department..
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #11
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf
It's based on that maybe? I always read it was ground up, maybe wrong?
It's definitely Australian as it was built off the Falcon platform and shares much of the same underpinnings.

Quote:
Appearance-wise, the Territory resembles the Ford Taurus X sold in North America. Both cars have similar styling cues -- it was this that sold the Territory to Ford executives at the head office in Dearborn, Michigan. Simon Butterworth, who was behind the Ford Falcon facelift of 2003, styled the Territory but had worked with his American counterpart, J Mays, in working in the global Ford "DNA". Marcus Hotblack worked on the Territory's interior, with a Swiss army knife as a metaphor. Consequently, the car has touches such as flexible cupholders and a handbag holder to the side of the seat for female drivers, recognizing that many SUV buyers are women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Territory
Old 11-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #12
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Short memory?

Territory received lots of praise and accolades when it was released, all the motoring journos couldn't shut up about it.

The Ford Territory won Wheels car of the 2004 read the wheels feb 2005 edition
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #13
BlueOvalPrint

Territory FTW - it was a new design style for Aus when the high riding 4WD stle family car was taking off, whereas the VE was just the evolution of a traditional 4 door sedan at the time that stlye was dying off. But look at the flexibility of the interiors to really see the inventiveness of the Terry.
BlueOvalPrint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #14
buickman
buickman

There you go car of year 2004

[IMG][/IMG]
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #15
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Although I'm a Holden fan when it comes to "importance" I would say the Territory. The Territory brought a new style of vehicle to Australian roads that Australians weren't very familiar with.

Like someone else said the VE was just an evolution of the 4 door sedan.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 11:06 PM   #16
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
it is very similar to a VZ
You've never driven both have you
they're worlds apart.
Like i've said many, many, many times before
I like the VE ALOT
it is the most falcon-like of any Commodore I've ever driven.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #17
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

[IMG][/IMG][/QUOTE]

These car mags are really shocking. Even when a Ford is a major winner, they've still got to put a Commodore on the cover somewhere. Unreal.

I was at the dentist last week, waiting for a friend. I grabbed an old Wheels mag which had a nice write up of the T-Series cars. Just near it, was an ad for subscribing the Wheels. The bonus was three back issues or other. Their was a pic of three back issues.... you guessed it, all Commodores on the cover. Blatant favouritism.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 11:43 PM   #18
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
You've never driven both have you
they're worlds apart.
Like i've said many, many, many times before
I like the VE ALOT
it is the most falcon-like of any Commodore I've ever driven.

Nah havent driven both, been in a VZ but driven the VE, I meant more that its very similar, not the same.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:16 AM   #19
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't say much for the Territory as I have never been in one but we had a VT which is pretty much a VX, VY, VZ and our VE is pretty far ahead IMO. Heaps more space, more power, and better handling.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 06:39 AM   #20
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
These car mags are really shocking. Even when a Ford is a major winner, they've still got to put a Commodore on the cover somewhere. Unreal.

I was at the dentist last week, waiting for a friend. I grabbed an old Wheels mag which had a nice write up of the T-Series cars. Just near it, was an ad for subscribing the Wheels. The bonus was three back issues or other. Their was a pic of three back issues.... you guessed it, all Commodores on the cover. Blatant favouritism.

GK

Wheels have explained it before, but when they put a Holden on the cover it sells more than with anything else on the cover. You wouldnt put an ugly fat chic on the front of Ralph, so why would any other mag be different.
I remember when Toyota wanted to put the Camry on the cover, Wheels agreed but only if Toyota bought the shortfall in magazines that month. I think it was 20000....
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #21
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Important is really the wrong word. The more significant and relevant of the two, would be the Territory. In 2003, SUVs and softroaders were gaining more popularity over the traditional taxi-style 4 door sedan. People wanted something new and different, and the Territory gives you everything you want in an SUV, without compromising anything you had or could have had in a 4 door sedan. The VE... was just another new Commodore. And we have seen many of those over the years.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #22
500SEC

Quote:
It's definitely Australian as it was built off the Falcon platform and shares much of the same underpinnings.
The Terry is perhaps the second vehicle that Ford Australia has released with a visual similarity to another Ford. The XD Falcon was visual very similar to the contemporary European Ford Granada. I think the only common part number was the headlight glass. Except for the Australian Falcon's low wasteline, it was almost impossible to distinguish the two apart.

When the XD was released, I remember debating this point with a Sth African, who insisted it was the same car, and that Ford would never make two separate cars that look so similar.
500SEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #23
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Some would argue that neither were important, because neither brought anything new to the market. The concept the territory followed had already been covered by the Subaru Forester, and the Forester has received many more awards than the territory, despite whether you think it is an inferior vehicle or not.

Quote:
Nah havent driven both, been in a VZ but driven the VE, I meant more that its very similar, not the same.
I completely disagree. I have had a VYII, a VZ and a VE as company cars and I have travelled BIG kays in each.
To drive, the VZ and VE are as i said, WORLDS apart. In 2009 the VE isn't so special. In 2006 it most certainly was.

Last edited by Mr Hardware; 12-07-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Mr Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #24
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK

GK
I used to think this as well until I was cleaning out my old Wheels mags the other day and came across about 5 in a row that featured Fords on the cover.

They do feature more Holdens on the cover but as XR6 Martin said they sell more issues that way.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #25
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Wheels have explained it before, but when they put a Holden on the cover it sells more than with anything else on the cover. You wouldnt put an ugly fat chic on the front of Ralph, so why would any other mag be different.
I remember when Toyota wanted to put the Camry on the cover, Wheels agreed but only if Toyota bought the shortfall in magazines that month. I think it was 20000....
Marketing 101.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #26
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I think that this is pretty obvious, The VE is a good car, but hardly groundbreaking. I personally think the VE did for Holden what the BA did for Ford, and seeing as how the BA came first, I would have to say that the BA was more important than the VE. As for the Territory, I honestly think that it was/ is the most important Aus designed car for the last 20+ years. It was the first fully Australian designed SUV, before that, all other Australian designed cars were the same story, Holden Commodore, Ford Falcon, nothing else really groundbreaking. So the way I see it VE Commodore would probably come third in the line of most important recent Australian cars.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #27
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you include exports, the VE is the most important Australian car.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #28
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf

I suppose it's a matter of what you call similar. The brake feel is different, the steering feel is different, and the handling is vastly different. The VE is a hands down better car than it's predecessor and I base that on driving them for years, not an afternoon.

As far as importance, well chances are if the VE didn't exist, it would make it easier for Ford to say bye bye to the Falcon. Sales of the Territory would indicate it's got something going for it, and most of those buyers would never have picked up a motor mag to read pro or anti articles. So what if car journalists laud this and that, I doubt they have much purchase influence on the population at large.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #29
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
When you include exports, the VE is the most important Australian car.
No, that would be the VT that got the exporting thing started, the VE just continued on.
Old 13-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #30
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VE is a global car and will carry the weight of Holden's export program for the next 6-8 years. Holden also blew a few more dollars on the VE than what ford blew on Territory.

Unfortunately the Territory also blew quite a few purchasors off with quality and servicing issues, and then everyone will agree that the interior build quality of the BA/BF is a class below the FG and the Japanese/Euros.

For some reason Holden owners tend to ignore or for some reason accept their quality woes, god knows why but to them any issue is inside their tollerance, even if it's constantly blowing power steering pumps and glove box lids and panel fit.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post