Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-08-2006, 03:06 PM   #1
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Default Dealer/ warrenty dilemma

I have an AUII XR8 Ute purchased about 2 years ago. I purchased the car which was fitted with 250kw Herrod package ( cam, exhaust, chip). The car has had the chip replaced 2 times, leads, plugs 2 times and cats. All this was due to faulty chips.

Now the car still has a problem with this chip, even though it has been sent back to ChipTorque. The car runs very rough, drinks fuel like a twin turbo big block and the dealer will do nothing about it now even though the car is covered by an extended warrenty.

The dealer (service guy) said that because it is a modified vehicle, that the warrenty does not cover it. Even though all the other problems have been covered by the warrenty, they sold the car as a Herrod modified car and yet they won't warrenty this now.

I have talked to Rob Herrod and he said that he would help out as much as he can, and I'm very thankful for him taking the time to do this for me but unfortunately the dealer won't do anything about it. The car is as bought, has not been modified in any way since I purchased it and has not done an excessive amount of k's, warrenty still valid.

Any opinions?

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Leather, Premium sound, Momo S/wheel & gear knob, Sunroof, 20" Advanti Desires, Bulge, XR50 Front, Pacemaker extractors,
Ballistic cats, 2.5" cat back system, Rebel bar & skirts, XR scuff plates, Kings SL & SSL springs
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:13 PM   #2
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you will find that if the dealer sold you a second hand car as a modified vehicle that he has to cover that vehicle and mods under the warranty. Give the Department of Fair Trading a call and they should be able to tell you where you stand regarding this. Good luck and let us know how it all goes.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

I think the used car warrenty is only 6 months... So you could be out of luck.

I had same sort of work done to mine, it all ended up in the bin...
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:32 PM   #4
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

When the car was bought, i paid for an extended ford warrenty.

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Leather, Premium sound, Momo S/wheel & gear knob, Sunroof, 20" Advanti Desires, Bulge, XR50 Front, Pacemaker extractors,
Ballistic cats, 2.5" cat back system, Rebel bar & skirts, XR scuff plates, Kings SL & SSL springs
Old 04-08-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8GRL
When the car was bought, i paid for an extended ford warrenty.
Ouch, Hopefully you don't learn the fact that the extended warrenty is worthless.

I wish you luck
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 04-08-2006, 03:59 PM   #6
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It seems that dealers are heading down the path of service stop shops, not wanting the repair or take responsiblity for the product that the front shop sell and only wish to change your oil and filter, lub your hinges and carry out halfarsed wheel alignments where you needed to come back to get your steering wheel recentered and not before they take your hard earned dollars.

As yet, my dealer is still offering me good service (day or night). That is way I travel the 550kms to take the car to him and him alone. I remind him of this and they are grateful and understanding although am yet to drive the dealer principles car as a courtesy car as promised upon purchase of the TS.....

In your case, it maybe time view your legal avenues. See where you stand though the appropiate government organisation (like ACCC, etc). Cost you nothing but time up front. Then make an appointment with the dealer principle and take your lawyer along for support.

Keep in mind one thing. IF YOU WISH TO KICK SOME A**E, START AT THE TOP. HE WILL DO THE A**EKICKING FROM THEN ON. It seems to flow down the line.

If this doesn't get some action, go get your car fixed at Herrod since he is willing to help. Cheers.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:07 PM   #7
mr scotto
mk 1 capri

get on the net and find out who to speak to at ford aust regarding warrentys,go to the top and you might get a top answer,go to the bottom and you now where you are.best of luck and give it to em
mr scotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:22 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Extended Ford warranty won't cover mods, Read the agreement it should be stated.

If i was the dealer I wouldnt be able to fix it, because they car IS NOT stock and theres no way for me to do anything with chip exhaust etc.

I had a friend on here that was buying a BF GT (Kerrie) from the QLD XR club. I helped her somewhat purchase her new BF GT and we could not get a Ford dealer to warrant a shaker kit. They were happy to have it fitted before delivery but would not warrant the shaker or the motor because of this mod.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:23 PM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Ouch, Hopefully you don't learn the fact that the extended warrenty is worthless.

I wish you luck
Extended Ford warranty is great.

Extended Ford warranty on NON Authorised mods isnt great, its not their responsibility to warrant other peoples products sadly. :
Old 04-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #10
2002auxr6
Drunk!

i work for a exteneded warranty company and if it is a stat warranty car nearly everything is covered by there warrantys, except for hoses brake pads and consumables, the dealer has to pay for it if it is still under the 3/5000klms warranty
2002auxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #11
2002auxr6
Drunk!

Quote:

I wish you luck
i disagree with u there
Old 04-08-2006, 04:44 PM   #12
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Extended Ford warranty is great.

Extended Ford warranty on NON Authorised mods isnt great, its not their responsibility to warrant other peoples products sadly. :
The car was originally bought from this dealer, the mods were organised through this dealer, its a herrod authorised dealer, the car was sold as a herrod modified car, I am the second owner, previous faults were covered under warrenty, why not this time?
When the car was bought, they pushed me to buy an extended warrenty, to cover any probs etc, cost me $1k.

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Old 04-08-2006, 04:46 PM   #13
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002auxr6
i work for a exteneded warranty company and if it is a stat warranty car nearly everything is covered by there warrantys, except for hoses brake pads and consumables, the dealer has to pay for it if it is still under the 3/5000klms warranty
Hi there, any details to help my cause? I just want to go there with as much info as possible.

thanks.

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Old 04-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #14
2002auxr6
Drunk!

Quote:
Hi there, any details to help my cause? I just want to go there with as much info as possible.

thanks.
number 1 when was the car brought
2 what kind of warranty u have, is it an extension of Man warranty or just a aftermarket warranty, if it is a ex man warranty it should be covered if it is factory fitted if not it will have to be your own expense, you need to rememeber when you purchase these warranty's read the booklet and see what they cover because they dont cover everything on the car, alot people think because they have a warranty it covers everything, this is not the case
Old 04-08-2006, 04:54 PM   #15
2002auxr6
Drunk!

also if you prove the fault was pre exsiting when u brought the car and it was a ongoing fault you would win if it went to Fair Trading
Old 04-08-2006, 04:55 PM   #16
rodderz

I know someone with an extended warranty that is km based, which means that the more km's the car has, the more frequent the services intervals become. If these arent done within I think 3,000km's either side of the specidied service interval, warranty is void
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:58 PM   #17
2002auxr6
Drunk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
I know someone with an extended warranty that is km based, which means that the more km's the car has, the more frequent the services intervals become. If these arent done within I think 3,000km's either side of the specidied service interval, warranty is void
Depends how old the car is and how often it needs to be serviced, most servicing is every 6/10,000klms which ever comes first, if you go over warranty is void, which is fair enough i guess, i have seen so many engine blow up from blocked oil gallerys working for a warranty company because people dont serivce there car
Old 04-08-2006, 05:10 PM   #18
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002auxr6
i disagree with u there
Naturally, you work for them. I just know of alot of people not getting what I they should
Old 04-08-2006, 05:40 PM   #19
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The car was originally bought from this dealer, the mods were organised through this dealer, its a herrod authorised dealer, the car was sold as a herrod modified car, I am the second owner, previous faults were covered under warrenty, why not this time?
When the car was bought, they pushed me to buy an extended warrenty, to cover any probs etc, cost me $1k.
Ford warranty does not cover aftermarket products fitted to cars before delivery. This includes things like Herrods products, Tint, Paint protection, ute trays (that arent geniune ford), Towbars (that arent geniune ford), wheels etc.

Its a Ford Warranty, therefore unless it was on the car from factory or is a Geniune Factory Option then its no covered, simple. Your best avenue is to take up the issues with Herrods as they are the manufacturer of the product and are obviously the best people to be dealing with your concerns, not the Ford mechanic that had no understanding of their products. If you have had issues with the chip in the past then it would probarly be a good idea to have it removed from the vehicle and then see what the cars like. Without software / dyno a Ford dealership wont be able to help you at all sadly.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:06 PM   #20
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Ford warranty does not cover aftermarket products fitted to cars before delivery. This includes things like Herrods products, Tint, Paint protection, ute trays (that arent geniune ford), Towbars (that arent geniune ford), wheels etc.

Its a Ford Warranty, therefore unless it was on the car from factory or is a Geniune Factory Option then its no covered, simple. Your best avenue is to take up the issues with Herrods as they are the manufacturer of the product and are obviously the best people to be dealing with your concerns, not the Ford mechanic that had no understanding of their products. If you have had issues with the chip in the past then it would probarly be a good idea to have it removed from the vehicle and then see what the cars like. Without software / dyno a Ford dealership wont be able to help you at all sadly.
I dont think you understand the post as it has had these issues before,2 chips replaced, 2 sets of leads and plugs, and a set of cat converters which were all damaged by the chip, and they were all covered by the warrenty, but now, they do not want to cover them.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:57 PM   #21
StookEB

The dealer sold it to you knowing the mods were on and they pushed you into buying the extended warranty,Ford or not, so therefore if the warranty still exists the dealer should pay the bill for herrod to have fix it.
StookEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:17 PM   #22
gtfpv
GT

quite frankly XR8 GIRL . i think that's disgracefull. at least if they weren't going to cover certain things it should've been stated before your purchase . instead they pushed ext warranty onto you, now tell you to take a hike . i hope that is illegal , tell your story to the fair trading department , you can get free legal aid to look into your case. at the bare minimum, i'd want that $1000 refunded and then rock up to rob herrods with that $1000 , i'm sure you would drive away with problems fixed . what is the country coming to when dealerships allow criminal behaviour.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:13 PM   #23
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
I dont think you understand the post as it has had these issues before,2 chips replaced, 2 sets of leads and plugs, and a set of cat converters which were all damaged by the chip, and they were all covered by the warrenty, but now, they do not want to cover them.
I would say that the dealer repaired previously for good will not for warranty reasons. If the car has an extended factory warranty then Ford Australia will cover a non modified affected failure. The dealer was just trying to help out as much as they can at their expence which is more than they are required to do regardless of the car being sold with modifications, which would normally be covered by the supplier of the mods. For example window tinting, the tinter not the dealer would foot the bill for any warranty work to the tint.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:08 PM   #24
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Quote:
The car has had the chip replaced 2 times, leads, plugs 2 times and cats. All this was due to faulty chips.

Now the car still has a problem with this chip, even though it has been sent back to ChipTorque. The car runs very rough, drinks fuel like a twin turbo big block and the dealer will do nothing about it now even though the car is covered by an extended warrenty.

Any opinions?
We had problems with a Chiptorque chip in my brothers AU6, running bad, cutting our when it felt like it, just being a pain.
We send the computer from the car with the chip back to chiptorque and they said they never found a fault but replaced it anyway.
After it was changed the car ran perfect, it went so good dropped from 14.8 to 14.3 the crook chip was holding it back the whole time.
I would send the cars ECU and chip to Chiptorque and ask them to sort it out.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 03:52 PM   #25
VSSII

Quote:
Naturally, you work for them. I just know of alot of people not getting what I they should

Thats a bit rude!
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:09 PM   #26
RATT

Did the dealer or Herrods replace the chip etc?

The way we do things is that if we sell a car with aftermarket products fitted, whether it be a spoiler, wheels or exhaust, we warrant the items and then chase up the cost with the supplier once the customers car is fixed.

This is why dealers should never ever be involved in the fittment or warranty of cars with aftermarket computer chips.

Is the extended warranty a Ford sponsored or aftermarket warranty? If it's aftermarket as in Harrier or similar then you really have little chance of having any more done.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:26 PM   #27
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
Did the dealer or Herrods replace the chip etc?

The way we do things is that if we sell a car with aftermarket products fitted, whether it be a spoiler, wheels or exhaust, we warrant the items and then chase up the cost with the supplier once the customers car is fixed.

This is why dealers should never ever be involved in the fittment or warranty of cars with aftermarket computer chips.

Is the extended warranty a Ford sponsored or aftermarket warranty? If it's aftermarket as in Harrier or similar then you really have little chance of having any more done.
Yes, they sorted it out last time when it happened, and the warrenty covered all the repairs.
The warrenty is a ford one, i will be talking to the dealer principle soon to resolve this issue, before any more damage happens to the car.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #28
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only one thing to do. Call Ford care in Melbourne. The head offcie is the only way to go. After bashing my head against a wall with the local ford dealer, I called Fordcare. They open a case file for me etc, and they got results!!!

My problems were solved
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #29
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
Yes, they sorted it out last time when it happened, and the warrenty covered all the repairs.
The warrenty is a ford one, i will be talking to the dealer principle soon to resolve this issue, before any more damage happens to the car.
How long ago was the last time?

Ford have changed alot of their Warranty Proceedures in the last 6 months, black listing cars with mods has become more prevailant along with not warranty wear and tear items...

Even if you do talk to the dealer principle they are going to have to pay for it out of their own pockets, Its a breach on their part to be warranting Items that aren't geniune, at the end of the day someones got to pay for it.

I guess the lesson here is be very careful buying second hand cars with mods and also understanding that Factory Extended Warrantys only cover Geniune Items, not modifications.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:52 PM   #30
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSSII
Thats a bit rude!
It wasn't intentional, I was just being factual from other peoples experiences.