Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford Focus World's Best Selling Car

Maybe something Ford Australia can use in its advertising? Certainly an indication they can improve Focus sales figures even further than they have this year.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...e_global_crown

Quote:
Ford’s little Focus is about to pinch the Toyota Corolla’s podium spot as the world’s most popular car.
The Focus is expected to hit about a million sales globally for 2012, with the Corolla sitting at around 966,000 for the year.

The Focus has become very popular in emerging markets such as China – and was also helped there by a consumer boycott of Japanese cars for nearly the final half of 2012.
Related CoverageNew car sales price: Ford FocusFord Focus ST: reviewFord Focus Sport Vs Holden Cruze SRi-V2012 Ford Focus: reviewFord Focus 1.0-litre EcoBoost: first drive reviewMore on FORD
The boycott – part of a public backlash in a long standing dispute between the two countries – cost Toyota an estimated 25 per cent of its sales in China. Volkswagen’s Jetta is in number three spot, followed by the Hyundai Elantra in fourth and Ford’s Fiesta in fifth.

Sitting in sixth place is the Volkswagen Golf, followed by the Toyota Camry – the only car in the top 10 that isn’t an economy-focused compact – Volkswagen’s Polo, the Chevrolet Cruze and the Honda Civic.

However Toyota is likely to win back its title of the world’s biggest carmaker, after losing it to General Motors last year.

GM and Volkswagen are in the race for number two spot in a record year that looks set to see global sales go past the 80 million notch – despite the slump in Europe and the slowing Chinese economy.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Default Re: Ford Focus World's Best Selling Car

thats good to hear as i'm going to buy my wife a focus soon
BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do the Corolla numbers include the US corolla that goes by a different name, but is the same thing?

Good result.. I still remember some on here saying the focus was selling badly & would fail (as would ‘one ford’) because it was the same car everywhere & each region needed different styling. I wonder where those people are today!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Focus ST - easily the best value hot hatch sports car out there..
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
Good result.. I still remember some on here saying the focus was selling badly & would fail (as would ‘one ford’) because it was the same car everywhere & each region needed different styling. I wonder where those people are today!!
One Ford doesn't seem to be working too well with the Fiesta, there are a lot of differences between WS/WT when it switched from Germany to Thailand production.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Buntz
Straight Eight

This is definitely the good news we all need to Focus on.
Old 27-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
One Ford doesn't seem to be working too well with the Fiesta, there are a lot of differences between WS/WT when it switched from Germany to Thailand production.
The Fiesta switch from German to Thailand production for Australia worked perfectly as sales went from approx 500 per month to approx 1000 per month. I'm not sure how other parts of the world are doing, but I'm sure I read somewhere a few months back that in Europe, Focus/ Fiesta where 1 & 2!!

But you keep knocking a plan that is clearly working in both sales & profit!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I'm not particularly interested in the Focus but that's really good news. The unwashed masses might be starting to realise that you can actually buy a car that's value for money and interesting at the same time!
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
geehaa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz View Post
This is definitely the good news we all need to Focus on.
Hey, that's funny!!

2 in the top 5 best sellers world wide - the stars have aligned (at least for a while)
geehaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxhal...-vs-ford-focus

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswa...-vs-ford-focus

Congrat's to Ford! I agree with In Focus, i'm sure the Ford marketeer's wont sit on their hands - they like using facts not fiction like some other car makers

The links above are pretty good.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
The Fiesta switch from German to Thailand production for Australia worked perfectly as sales went from approx 500 per month to approx 1000 per month. I'm not sure how other parts of the world are doing, but I'm sure I read somewhere a few months back that in Europe, Focus/ Fiesta where 1 & 2!!

Er, not quite... The WT sells between 500 and 800, where the old Mazda 2 shifts around 1200... Presumably the margin on the WT is greater so that's good for Ford Aus. When the Fiesta gets the 1 litre EB sales should take off...
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

great news for the focus.

I wonder if it is also a case of win on sunday sell on monday with the focus winning the 2012 Chinese Touring Car Championship, Manufacturer Cup title. This is the fourth title gained by the team in a row and the fifth in the last seven years.

Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Its not the same car though, it took a down turn in interior quality, tyre size changed from 195/50R15 to 185/55R15, wheels changed from 4x108 to 4x100 and a few other things.

For something thats supposed to be the same, it isn't the same.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
wiseowl56

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV597 View Post
thats good to hear as i'm going to buy my wife a focus soon
Hi All yes I am doing the same for the wife a new focus.
wiseowl56 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
1TUFFUTE
Banned

i have a mate who allready has a focus and went to buy another one......3 month wait so he bought a hyundai instead. Wonder how much this is happening as hes not a massive car fan....he just knows the focus is a great...perhaps the best small car on the market for most.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Its not the same car though, it took a down turn in interior quality, tyre size changed from 195/50R15 to 185/55R15, wheels changed from 4x108 to 4x100 and a few other things.

For something thats supposed to be the same, it isn't the same.
That's the issue. The German-built Focus is very good quality. I wouldn't buy a Thai-built one, for me the quality/reliability would tip the scales to an Octavia which also has some other advantages notably interior space and no comparative disadvantages. Well done Ford, no mean feat to knock off Toyota, but you lose me building it in a cheap-labour Asian country and all that goes with that.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #17
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
That's the issue. The German-built Focus is very good quality. I wouldn't buy a Thai-built one, for me the quality/reliability would tip the scales to an Octavia which also has some other advantages notably interior space and no comparative disadvantages. Well done Ford, no mean feat to knock off Toyota, but you lose me building it in a cheap-labour Asian country and all that goes with that.
Those Thai robots work cheap...

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
As opposed to Skoda building cars in cheap ex-communist European countries
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #19
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
As opposed to Skoda building cars in cheap ex-communist European countries
Come on, hardly a comparison quality-wise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus View Post
Those Thai robots work cheap...
Its not the robots, it's how they're managed.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #20
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale View Post
great news for the focus.

I wonder if it is also a case of win on sunday sell on monday with the focus winning the 2012 Chinese Touring Car Championship, Manufacturer Cup title. This is the fourth title gained by the team in a row and the fifth in the last seven years.

sorry couldnt help myself..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd4XaLwXpLQ
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #21
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

We have a German built Focus Sport really love these cars, if I had to buy a car today Focus STI would be my choice, handling, steering, comfortable seats.
The diesel Focus is also I great goer, I fanged one at the proving grounds its all about the torque.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post