Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

Talking Xenon Lights Conversion Kits - oppinions and legality

hey guys,
after all the issues having with my car a good thing arrived
my HID lights

i got the 35w kit posted from a friend in melbourne..

1. any precautions using these?
2. are they legal ?
3. if their not the fact that the ballasts will all be hidden will it save me as
if you look from the front of the car is just looks like a have blue globes installed. :evil3:

Old 24-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Do you want opinion, or legal advice (you've asked for both).

I my opinion, they are fine, as long as they aren't aimed up (which may cause too much glare).

Legally, I believe they may not be ADR compliant in Falcons.

I have both the H4 hi/low, and H1 Hi kits in my cars (with full ballast for each). Haven't been flashed or pulled over yet.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #3
YOOT
Banned

I believe that all cars fitted with Xenon headlamps have to have pop-up headlight washers. I have seen super long threads on other forums about them and its is mentioned in the ADR's.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
I believe that all cars fitted with Xenon headlamps have to have pop-up headlight washers.......... its is mentioned in the ADR's.
Would you like to prove that? Porsches come standard with Xenon lights, and the washer/wiper for the headlight is an option.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 24-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

By coincidence I found this today.....

http://www.brightlightautoparts.com/HIDKits.html
Old 24-08-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

They're not cheap. The ones through EQuibs are cheaper. And then there's ebay.

Old 24-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

i can get the kits MUUUUUUCH CHEEPER THEN THAT
Old 24-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Not legal or that efficient, will kill the lenses eventually.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 06:24 PM   #9
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Not legal or that efficient, will kill the lenses eventually.
im contemplating putting them in the driving lights on my bumper or putting them on the hi-beam and getting the low beam kit.

decisions...
Old 24-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #10
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

had 10000k in my El for bout a year no problem with the cops, other cars or damage to headlights
now got 8000K in my BA on low still havent had a problems and going to be getting a set for my driving light and hi beams soon, way better then anything else i have tried

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 07:45 PM   #11
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

i can sell these kits for about 250
Old 24-08-2007, 10:14 PM   #12
GT-E

I have had 4300k 35w HID's in my F6 for about a year with no problems. I did have to aim the lights down heaps to stop them glaring, but had no problems.
Anyone that runs above 6000k is asking for trouble as they look VERY blue and is a magnet for cops and a yellow sticker.
HID's ARE illegal as they have no levelers and cleaning system. You cannot retro fit aftermarket HID's legally to any onroad car due to ADR's.
That being said many mods to cars are technically "illegal" and cause no issues.
Old 25-08-2007, 12:06 PM   #13
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapXR6T
I have had 4300k 35w HID's in my F6 for about a year with no problems. I did have to aim the lights down heaps to stop them glaring, but had no problems.
Anyone that runs above 6000k is asking for trouble as they look VERY blue and is a magnet for cops and a yellow sticker.
HID's ARE illegal as they have no levelers and cleaning system. You cannot retro fit aftermarket HID's legally to any onroad car due to ADR's.
That being said many mods to cars are technically "illegal" and cause no issues.
That would be what I am thinking of, Xenons are not the same as HIDs, its HIDs that require washers and self levelers. Which would make them illegal as a retro fit.

Having said that our forester has Bi-Xenon's with self levelers and Pop up washers. They are 4300K.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #14
irsa76
Snoopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
That would be what I am thinking of, Xenons are not the same as HIDs, its HIDs that require washers and self levelers. Which would make them illegal as a retro fit.

Having said that our forester has Bi-Xenon's with self levelers and Pop up washers. They are 4300K.
WRONG!! Xenon and HID are the same thing. HID, High Intensity Disharge, is also known as Xenon arclighting. The common marketing term is HID, easy for the public to digest instead of xenon. Retrofit kits are illegal. No if, buts or maybes. To be legal they need self leveling and high pressure washers. Porsches DON'T all come with HID lights as standard, when you option HID you also get leveling and wash, which is a stand alone option with halogen lights.
Also there is other technical issues with putting a HID capsule in a halogen light unit, generally the filament is in a different position to the arc which can cause glare. While I will concede that HID drop ins produce more light then 55/60watt halogen, so does 80/130w. Which is also illegal, and more trouble some. I personally have in the past run 80/130m and 130w globes in my Commodore with 100w in my Cibies and 55w in the fogs, which don't really matter. While I had massive amount of light, I also had issues with legallity, got warned for the lights at rego, and wiring.
Before going to HID, I would spend my money on getting a decent wiring harness, I was amazed how much damage I caused to the one in my VS, and decent halogen globes. I'm currently Phillips Vision Plus in my Verada, which really can't run HID due to the crap DOT reflector, and think it was the best $70 I spent. If you really must run HID and want to do it properly, put aside at least $2,000 for parts, I've already looked into this.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #15
GT-E

You can go to any auto store and buy Xenon globes as they are Hallogen globes with Xenon gas included, they are NOT HID's, but they are marketed as Xenon.

My brother put 80/130w in his Mazda and had an underbonnet fire because of them. I have also seen them melt plastic lenses.

Spending $2,000 on HID's seems pointless as they would not be much better than a $250 kit from ebay. While they would be better quality, you would still have an illegal setup regardless of what HID kit you went with.
Old 25-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #16
irsa76
Snoopping

Globes marketed as "Xenon" are as you say halogen/xenon mix. Hella calls it's HID lights xenon, in this case they are proper xenon arc discharge lights, HID to you and me.
When I said properly I meant legally. The $2,000 was for proper Bi-xenon projector light units, matching halogen hight beam light units which are required by law, self levelling and high pressure washers. All of this is required for ADR compliance. Naturally on top of this you have to install them and get them engineered. It is possible to legally fit HID lights to a vehicle not orginally fitted with them. It just takes alot of money and messing around.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 12:06 AM   #17
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont care what globes I have. I just want that purple/blue look they give from a distance.

Whats the cheapest way to get this?

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post