Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
adamu
Starter Motor

Default Fuel consumption problem

Hey guys,
I have an Au Falcon forte series 1 that drinks like a fish.

Im getting from 17-20L/100ks.

After reading the forums Ive replaced the O2 (HEGO?)sensor with no luck.

The odometer seems alright as i have measured it using a GPS.

Ive measured my fuel consumption by filling the tank, then dividing by how many K's I've done since last time i filled up (eg: 65L\350ks= 18.5l\100k)
Any ideas will be much appreciated.

I should really go out and get an xr8 to save on fuel.

Thanks, Adam.

adamu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
T3man
Banned

Seems high - what type of driving? All city peak hour? You would have to be doing a lot of idling/full throttle driving to get consumption that high IMO. Try getting Ford Service to flash it. Or try a re-set yourself - I think there is a procedure you can follow which is outlined in the tech section.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
adamu
Starter Motor

Basically everywhere i go is on the freeway as the freeway is 1km away from my place. Also work is straight off the freeway.
On the freeway my revs at at 1.8k, which seems normal.
Is is the EEC you suggest i flash?

Thanks, Adam
adamu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2007, 08:25 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

What temp is the vehicle running at when on the freeway ... you might have an issue with a stuck open thermostat causing the car to run too cold ... making it run rich.

Could also be an issue with a MAP sensor as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do you make a lot of short trips? i've found my consumption goes thru the roof when i have to make lots of little trips thru the day

my fuel consumption has been getting slowly worse tho... i'm not sure if thats coz the ex wife ran out of fuel while driving the car.. it was fantastic when i first got the car... now it's not so great.. maybe a little better then the mileage you are getting...
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
LOWAU

Try a bottle or two of injector cleaner and get used to putting one in every oil change or so, it helps. Good example was when we were traveling to sydney with my bros car, about 450-500km on almost one tank on the way and on the way back 700km+ cause we put some injector cleaner in.

If that doesn't work try a diagnostics test at a mechanic or ford.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post