Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Default Covert radars on Monash F/way

Heard on 3AW this morning (so it must be true!) that police disguised as road workmen, complete with tri-pod mounted radars (imitating surveying tri-pods) are about to start blitzing the Monash freeway in the area where the new freeway roadworks are taking place. Once an offence is detected, rego number will be radioed ahead to waiting marked car
These cops are going to be paid TRIPLE TIME, & are being offered this duty on their days off.
Sound incredible???
Strange thing is police spokesperson would not deny it when 3AW contacted them.

2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
mowog
Discovery 4

I suppose the only way to deal with this is dont speed thru road works...
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tight Vic cops. And yes I have been booked by them.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #4
EA2BA
PM me if you want

radio or internet, even ACA on the TV, all a load of bunk 99% of the time, seeing is believing, I bet its just a rumor, if it makes people slow down then that's great, but I doubt its real.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Well I dont slow down for that section on the M1 near point cook unless its busy, seriously, I have never seen a work man there.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #6
desGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Well I dont slow down for that section on the M1 near point cook unless its busy, seriously, I have never seen a work man there.
Wow, that would save you about 20 seconds over that section. Definately worth risking the $'s and points for. And you can see that there is NO ONE at all anywhere in the area whio is protected by being in a vehicle or behind a crash barrier?

I am one who does slow down on roadworks (Admission : and I DO speed in other certain circumstances!) and for this I get tailgated (cannot see the other cars front), honked at, etc.. I am definately a minority.
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #7
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol Monash Vice goes deep undercover, risking all to catch the big crims who dare to risk the publics lives by speeding (I whispered that last word as it is so dirty) - oh the humanity! I wonder if they will get in so deep that they will think they actaully ARE roadworkers and then they will start sleeping whilst leaning on shovels and perving on chicks.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #8
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Heard on 3AW this morning (so it must be true!) that police disguised as road workmen, complete with tri-pod mounted radars (imitating surveying tri-pods) are about to start blitzing the Monash freeway in the area where the new freeway roadworks are taking place. Once an offence is detected, rego number will be radioed ahead to waiting marked car
Strange thing is police spokesperson would not deny it when 3AW contacted them.
I certainly wouldn't write it off as pure speculation given the sucess rate of the last blitz they had on that section of the Monash recently, it is an 80 kph section through the roadworks (temporary section) & @50% of traffic still exceeds the limit (except during peak hour where you're lucky to reach @20 kph) but I suspect complaints generated from the Eastlink group may be behind this & fair enough too. :
Old 07-02-2007, 10:04 AM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the other hand, which is cheaper and more effective:

A number of police disguised as road workers covertly checking speed

OR

Leak a story that road workers are actually police, have the media beat it up and maybe people will SLOW DOWN.

Somebody doing some thinking in the job for a change.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #10
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
On the other hand, which is cheaper and more effective:

A number of police disguised as road workers covertly checking speed

OR

Leak a story that road workers are actually police, have the media beat it up and maybe people will SLOW DOWN.

Somebody doing some thinking in the job for a change.......
Propagandha a very effective tool

If the story were true, would this not be a material deviation from the guidelines applied to the use of speed detection devices by the state?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:36 AM   #11
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

I saw a guy the other day which looked like he had a huge satelite hanging out the top of his bag around the Narre Warren area.

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
vandrsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 10:56 AM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In any event if you're not speeding it isnt an issue!!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #13
TZENU
XY Driv3r

No problems from me, i'm usually passing that section at 40 twice a day
Old 07-02-2007, 01:02 PM   #14
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I’m bemused, for years I have put up with people complaining that the police should be setting speed detection devises in the area’s that they are required and now it seems that there is complaint that they are doing exactly that! I applaud them, I’m one of the very small minority that actually observe road work speed limits and have been harassed, threatened and abused for doing so. (not one has ever had enough sack to go on with it!) I drive like most other people at most other times, I.e. observing the speed limit within reason but to me if these people have to work that close to traffic the least we can do is observe the speed limit for as long as it takes to complete the work. Don’t get me wrong I’m just as frustrated as anybody else when the signs are out 24/7 and they only work 10 – 4 weekdays but at the end of the day I stop at red lights when there is nobody coming the other way so what’s the difference? I love it when you see people doing 100+ in an 80 or even 60 zone and they have the cheek to indicate when they change lanes while they are weaving in and out of the other traffic……. What the **** for? Like that’s gunna make it ok!
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #15
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Wow, so many wowsers and do-gooders in here. Why not just tell it like it really is - in other words the reality of what really happens out on the road.

In Sydney we have the Gore Hill Freeway/Epping Rd/Laane Cove Tunnel under constant construction for the last few years. The speed limit is 80 yet road works signs say 60. I go through it every day at 80 and have never seen anyone do less than 80 through there (unless there is gridlock) - in fact I am usually overtaken.

80% of the time there are no roadworkers anywhere near these reduced speed limit work sights and it seems the majority of motorists are intellegent enough to not blindly slow down like sheep and exercise their own judgement on theprevailing conditions. If you get caught so be it, but to suggest anyone who dosn't follow the speed limit religiously is a nicompoot is ridiculous.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:19 PM   #16
Skooter

lol they coppied that covert roadworker thing straight from cops or LA detectives I saw it maybe 2 weeks ago and looked very successful.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 02:32 PM   #17
joshcxa
Toothbrush Designer

Interesting...it's probably not true but i will find out
joshcxa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 02:33 PM   #18
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by desGT
Wow, that would save you about 20 seconds over that section. Definately worth risking the $'s and points for. And you can see that there is NO ONE at all anywhere in the area whio is protected by being in a vehicle or behind a crash barrier?

I am one who does slow down on roadworks (Admission : and I DO speed in other certain circumstances!) and for this I get tailgated (cannot see the other cars front), honked at, etc.. I am definately a minority.
I too slow to the posted speed for work zones, and get tired of being tailgated, flashed and slipstreamed by almost every other vehicle on the journey. Bring on the radar for these zones. It is primarily for the safety of construction workers that these speed limits are set, and for the unexpected incidents which may occur within them. Although I do believe that these speeds should be increased after hours (signs changed at shift completion and if conditions allow), as there are no workers there to be protected. Let's get real people, if someone was blatantly ignoring safety rules in your workplace, and it affected you. Would you sit quiet and accept the risk?
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #19
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by desGT
BECAUSE people are dumbed down. Your example directly adds weight to my argument that people are now afflicted with "speed limit conditioning".

This is where extreme academics have recently set out to socially demonise 'speed', the result is people are then taught that the speed limit is god, and that even a few kilometres above it will result in testicular cancer and fireballs as cars burst into flames.

The result is people do NOT vary speed enough, but drive at or very near 'the limit' amost come what may.

Mild exception - torrential rain, but only because they can feel the steering 'feel different', yet in the same visibility maximum under heavy fog or in bushfire smoke, will still sit at or speed up, owing sensory perception and 'indoctrination' issues.

Derestriction removes all that, effectively forcing the driver to "drive to the conditions", NOT numerals posted on a sign, or as written in law books as one of the two defaults.

We don't generally need open road or intercity freeway speed limits at all. We do need to improve our vehicle equipment lists and BEHAVIOUR.

Behaviour will not improve to one another UNLESS we are given greater speed allowances, people will continue to drive like pigs, deliberately, because they can and will always get away with that when we are so speed limit focussed.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #20
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
BECAUSE people are dumbed down. Your example directly adds weight to my argument that people are now afflicted with "speed limit conditioning".

This is where extreme academics have recently set out to socially demonise 'speed', the result is people are then taught that the speed limit is god, and that even a few kilometres above it will result in testicular cancer and fireballs as cars burst into flames.

The result is people do NOT vary speed enough, but drive at or very near 'the limit' amost come what may.

Mild exception - torrential rain, but only because they can feel the steering 'feel different', yet in the same visibility maximum under heavy fog or in bushfire smoke, will still sit at or speed up, owing sensory perception and 'indoctrination' issues.

Derestriction removes all that, effectively forcing the driver to "drive to the conditions", NOT numerals posted on a sign, or as written in law books as one of the two defaults.

We don't generally need open road or intercity freeway speed limits at all. We do need to improve our vehicle equipment lists and BEHAVIOUR.

Behaviour will not improve to one another UNLESS we are given greater speed allowances, people will continue to drive like pigs, deliberately, because they can and will always get away with that when we are so speed limit focussed.
I agree, speed limits are to some extent pointless, but are a fact of life. Workzones, Urban streets and Industrial zones should retain there current format. But open road travel (intercity, interstate) should have eased restriction. And as you say, in the long run will look after itself. There will, however always be abusers of whatever system we have in place, and therefore we will continue to be policed and restricted.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 03:59 PM   #21
LTDHO
The one and only

The Monash is so slow now anyway, People drive well under the posted sign and more often than not you are driving at 60 in the 80 zoned area. So I can't see how this would help, whether it's properganda or fact. If anything I can see it becoming alot worse!

I'd rather see the cameras in the areas that are not safe, like back streets etc. People speed around kids all the time!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 04:04 PM   #22
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

They do this in the states already, dress up as council workers with the tripod setups, it was on a cop doco i was watching the other day. They caught dozens and dozens of people, and they pop up out of nowhere to do it. Wouldn't surprise me if they started doing it here, seeing as how the Australian government just loves being just like the U.S.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 04:16 PM   #23
maxford

They'll think off anything to nail innocent, rushing to work citizens.

maxford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 04:32 PM   #24
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

What if ‘innocent rushing to work citizens’ got out of bed 15 minutes earlier ………………..
Old 07-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #25
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
What if ‘innocent rushing to work citizens’ got out of bed 15 minutes earlier ………………..
: Predicting how long it takes to travel along that section of the road is like predicting when and if the world is going to end. 15min's earlier won't do SFA.

I used to drive a 10 min section of the Monash. Sometimes I'd be at work in 9 minutes, othertimes I'd get to work 1-2 hours late. 15 mins earlier would do SFA and there's no way in hell I'd leave for work 2 hours early as a just incase measure. I honestly can't see how anyone speeds through there unless it's around midday. It's known as the "Monash car park".

I'm one of the one's that thread their way through traffic. I stick to the speed limit on the fwy and thread my way through idiots who sit in the mid/right lanes that have no idea where the accel pedal or left lane is. In fact usually I find the left lane is faster than the middle and right lanes! So much for keeping bloody left ey?!?!

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #26
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My only whinge about roadworks signs is that the limit is 24 hours and the workers are there 8. Many, many times I have been travelling along the Bruce highway where there has been mowing or whatever (not digging holes in road) at 8 at night and the 40 limit signs are there because the lazy bastards don't take them down overnight.
Everyone is doing 100 and if the coppers were there everyone would get pinged.

Or even better still they leave the automatic stop/go running.

grrrrrrrrrrrr
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 06:26 PM   #27
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm one of those who sit with the flow of traffic usually in the middle lane, I leave enough room so people who want to weave in and out can, it doesn't bother me. In fact it’s the same drivers everyday, they leave home at the very last second than try and make up time on the freeway. I'm consistently amused by it and I actually enjoy watching the idiocy of it. It lightens up my drive to work. I usually pull up within a couple of car lengths at the exit anyway. Some people just turn every driving occasion into a sh1tfight, I prefer to get to work unstressed. I save my fast, enjoyment style driving for the roads and the conditions where I can drive fast and enjoy it. Commuting to work on a crowded freeway is not the time or the place. Some people have to ‘rush’ every single day, just to get to work on time, for those 15 minutes will do plenty. It’s the same 15 minutes at the start of the journey as it is at the end, if you start your journey 15 minutes earlier; you get to your destination 15 minutes earlier. Your right though, if your stuck in traffic for 1-2 hours than it makes SFA difference but than again, so does weaving in and out of the traffic!!
Old 07-02-2007, 06:44 PM   #28
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Threading through slow moving traffic did wonders for me. Saves me 20 mins. Why turn a 10 min trip longer due to people who don't want to use the roadway at signed limits? I'd rather be home in 10, comfortable on my couch, than still in the car in 1/2 hour. If someone wants to do 60/80kph in a 100 zone? IMO they should use the highway. All they do is create havoc and make people overtake which can sometimes cause accidents. You can't have an accident on the freeway if everyone is doing the same speed. There is very little reason to overtake or change lanes unless entering/exiting. The only time if happens is when someone slows for illusions.

Even today on my way home. We had a tradie doing 80kph between Heatherton Rd and Pound Rd exits. Yet another was going the same but the other was using their brain and keeping left. Myself and others overtook utilising the left lane which we shouldn't have to do. I'm sure if I had a truck the tradie would have moved but intimidation shouldn't be required to get someone to move over to allow faster traffic to pass.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #29
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Why would then need a hidden tripod, all they have to do is put a speed camera there, does not make sense.........

There are many places to park the car with the speed camera............

And why would the Police Deny it, better to scare people telling them nothing......

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 06:48 PM   #30
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
Why would then need a hidden tripod, all they have to do is put a speed camera there, does not make sense.........

There are many places to park the car with the speed camera............

And why would the Police Deny it, better to scare people telling them nothing......
because it's virtually invisible in that fashion.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post