Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default APIA ad on telly unfair....

Was watching Sunrise this morn between 7:30 and 7:45 when an APIA ad comes on telly, stating that they don't offer insurance to 21 years old drivers because they are crazy in the car.... Is this not discrimatory? or unfair branding?.. I felt a little offended.... but I know that this is coming from an old bat that can't see past the 30 year old merc badge on her bonnet, so I didn't take too much offence..... but still.....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 10-01-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Discriminatory.
No, she is not discriminating at all, it is in the same vein as saying that getting an old age pension is discriminatory for young people. I wouldn't worry about it.
They did a funny send up of it on comedy inc, called it OCIA or Old Codgers Insurance Agency, and they told people less than 75 to F off.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 10-01-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive seen the ad.. its not quite as blatent as you've put it, i actually thought it was clever marketing and a good idea if it works out to be cheaper for the "elderly".
I'd be interested to see what the premiums are ACTUALLY like.. Its pretty common knowledge that "lower risk" insuree's have been subsidising the premiums of "higher risk" insuree's to some extent for years..

Im sick of my premiums being higher because of the higher risk groups, i'll have to wait a while for this scheme though!!.

If they can Genuinely offer cheaper insurance to the elderly because they are a much lower risk by seperating them out then i think that's a good thing.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
SirJuggsalot

Lets not forget 20yr olds have their own insurance companies too such as Young and Cool and Justcar.

But imagine the uproar if they claimed they dont "insure old bats on the road", as opposed to APIA not insuring "crazy 21 yr old drivers"
Old 10-01-2007, 09:30 AM   #5
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
They did a funny send up of it on comedy inc, called it OCIA or Old Codgers Insurance Agency, and they told people less than 75 to F off.
Hahaha. Yep, that was gold!!!

I think the APIA adds would be let off as they're being harsh "for the sake of being harsh"... i.e. it's obviously exaggerating to make a point... along the sames as puffery in common law i think.

There's no discrimination in underwriting. If they dont want ya... they wont take ya...

What i dont like...

Is the stupid little TV show they "put on" for their adds. It's a financial product, they're offering general financial advice... it should not be passed off as something its not.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

whats really funny is my old boss has an insurance agency and he told me a few months ago that they offer good pensioner rates as they never pay out unless really pushed to, they have the worst lot of fine print excuses to protect themselves than any other Insurance company.his company wont even deal with them anymore as he has ethics.he advises clients to use anyone but them
Old 10-01-2007, 09:34 AM   #7
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Easily offended=thin skin. Its a generalisation about young male drivers just like young male drivers generalise about fossils driving.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #8
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

You actually waste your time watching that tripe in the morning?? get off the couch and go to work
Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Was watching Sunrise this morn between 7:30 and 7:45 when an APIA ad comes on telly, stating that they don't offer insurance to 21 years old drivers because they are crazy in the car.... Is this not discrimatory? or unfair branding?.. I felt a little offended.... but I know that this is coming from an old bat that can't see past the 30 year old merc badge on her bonnet, so I didn't take too much offence..... but still.....
Bah, get over it.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #10
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Over 70s have a far greater crash + fatality rate than even P platers...
But, thats because they are blind, death, and forget which pedal is the brake...
Old 10-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #11
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

If you don't like it, then lodge a complaint.
http://www.adstandards.com.au/pages/page38.asp
I was listening to the radio the other day and they asked listeners which ad's ticked them off. There were a few!
Not one of them had lodged a complaint, so nothing was done!

Cheers

Last edited by Dazza XLT; 10-01-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:27 AM   #12
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Promina owns APIA.

Promina also owns AAMI, Just Cars, Shannons and RAC Insurance (WA).

Look beyond the brands and you can quickly realise that Promina is the ultimate underwriter, so I guess the irony is that the actual cost to Promina of underwriting for each policy would probably be quite similiar.

IE - It's just marketing and departmentalisations.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:28 AM   #13
sexy_xr6
xr lover

I didn't take offence but thought there was no need for the comment about young crazy drivers that smash things aroung the house!!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #14
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Old people always complain about ads, it would make my day if enough people complained they took it off the air. It would be on the news
Old 10-01-2007, 10:47 AM   #15
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't worry, they will be dead in a few years anyway........
Old 10-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #16
BAFalconXT
Sold...

I lodged my complaint... Now, more young people need to complain. You only need a few complaints, and they will take it off the air.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #17
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAFalconXT
I lodged my complaint... Now, more young people need to complain. You only need a few complaints, and they will take it off the air.
Yepped lodged mine to. As I call em, SOCs. Silly old c....

David
Old 10-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #18
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Will get my gfriend to complain tonight, that will make at least 3 complaints
Old 10-01-2007, 11:07 AM   #19
Sapper
Back to the AU

I saw an article in the paper a little while back showing how many complaints were made before an ad was taken off the air and in most cases, there were only about a dozen complaints. I think the governing bodies are a little over sensitive. That would work in the favour of anyone trying to get ads banned.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:09 AM   #20
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Promina owns APIA.

Look beyond the brands and you can quickly realise that Promina is the ultimate underwriter, so I guess the irony is that the actual cost to Promina of underwriting for each policy would probably be quite similiar.

Promina is also owned by SUNCORP, who is also a fairly large underwriter (especially in QLD where they are currently still repairing the damage caused by the cyclone)

PS: The cost of underwriting a 85 year old's house against a 30 year old is MUCH MUCH lower.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #21
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAFalconXT
Will get my gfriend to complain tonight, that will make at least 3 complaints
Like I said earlier, I really think you need to find something to do with your time
Old 10-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #22
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

I've seen the ad and it annoyed me too. I'm not really offended but I think it should be pulled for unfairly tarring all young people. I'd love to see one of the 'young persons' insurers saying they don't insure "blind, camry driving old gits"...

Unfortunately old people are the biggest whingers (because they don't have anything better to do) and they would have the ad taken off air very quickly.

Sell it and catch a cab, grandma!

P.S. Old people don't have parties because they fall asleep at 4pm after putting on John Laws, donning their cardies followed by a cup of cold tea and a couple of digestives. That and they can't find the party venue while out in the camry...
Old 10-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #23
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would like to see a similar type ad for health insurance...."we do not accept 65 year old walking diseases, instead we give you cheap health insurance that avoids all those with nasty cancers, osteoporosis, and old age related illnesses."
I bet that would cause a storm from the oldies....and somehow I think it would be branded as unfair. So why is discrimination allowed in the opposite direction?
Old 10-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #24
MightyXR6Turbo
Boooostn'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
whats really funny is my old boss has an insurance agency and he told me a few months ago that they offer good pensioner rates as they never pay out unless really pushed to, they have the worst lot of fine print excuses to protect themselves than any other Insurance company.his company wont even deal with them anymore as he has ethics.he advises clients to use anyone but them
I've witnessed that first hand. In a nutshell, when I was 17 I had a head on collision in a back street where some 70 year old woman (with cateracts in both her eyes I might add!) decided to turn infront of me, resulting in me crashing head on with her car (she was on my side of the road as well). My poor XD was badly bent up. Anyway, had to cops out, the cop commended me on my obvious effort to try and swerve out the way, and then issued a warning to the old woman for driving without due care.

Anyway, I only had 3rd party fire and theft, so I had to write a letter of demand, did that, she forward it to her APIA who then proceeded to call me and tell me that it was my fault coz their member said it was. I advised them of the police report that stated that she was at fault, and they wouldn't have a bar of it. I had to get the nice Officer that was there to actually call them before they would accept it was her fault!!

After the repairer fixed my car it sat there for months before the bastards would pay out. Needless to say, that inspired me to get comprehensive.

1979 XD Fairmont Ghia - Silver, 302C V8, Full velour interior, slowly building her up to be a tough cruiser!

2002 Nissan Patrol ST - Desert Gold, 4.8L DOHC 6cyl petrol (Soon to be reequipped with a 5.7L LS1 V8), 5speed auto, lifted, locked, 33's, nature destruction vehicle!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #25
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura
Like I said earlier, I really think you need to find something to do with your time
I am on the computer anyway, replying to your comment is more of a waist of time.

In SA there has been a drop in fatalities this year, attributed ONLY to the reduction in deaths under 25s. ALL other age groups have remained the same. SA has far less driving laws for P plate drivers than NSW....
Old 10-01-2007, 11:31 AM   #26
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Promina owns APIA.

Along with marketing, it is of great benefit to the Insurer in terms of managing the underwriting risk, reinsurance and also for premium pricing. This benefits the consumer, particularly in a soft insurance market.

Quote:
I lodged my complaint... Now, more young people need to complain. You only need a few complaints, and they will take it off the air
Lol... I thought the members of AFF hated minority groups kicking up a fuss about issues of political correctness?
Old 10-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #27
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

I thought it was funny, who really cares. Its an add targeted ad elderly people to make them feel good not to make us feel bad.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #28
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Lol... I thought the members of AFF hated minority groups kicking up a fuss about issues of political correctness?
Thats why young people get dumped on so much, cos they bend over and take it...
Old 10-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #29
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

I think it was last night I saw it.

They are just cementing it in the old buggers' heads that they are right the world is a shocking place and young people throw wild parties, break everything around the house and drive like idiots. :

Nothing there that old people didnt think already anyway.

I still think they should positively generalise towards the people they will insure in their adverts, as opposed to negatively stereotyping those which they exclude. I have no problem that they dont want to insure young people (there you go all the 49yr olds, you are 'young'!), but why make stereotypical comments about them.

"we know you are asleep in front of the telly with your mouth wide open snoring at 7pm, you dont have enough strength to break anything in your house and have been driving since they invented the wheel"

Essentially the same thing.

Who cares, it is an ad. They run for 20 odd seconds of your life, whenever it comes on if you cannot be bothered to get up to go do something else sing a happy song like "Always look on the bright side of life, do do, do do do do do do..."

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:45 AM   #30
mowog
Discovery 4

Best thing about this thread...

All the young ones will be old one day...
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
Closed Thread