Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-02-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Do reverse cameras really improve safety when reversing?

In todays Herald-Sun newspaper

Quote:
Mazda boss defends reversing camera omission
Richard Blackburn

Mazda Australia boss Martin Benders raised eyebrows at a media conference this week when he questioned the role of reversing cameras as a safety aid.
The entry level Neo model of the popular Mazda3 doesn't have a reversing camera, and many expected the brand to fit one as standard when it announced a pricing adjustment as a result of the free trade agreement with Japan.

Instead, the brand made rear parking sensors and alloy wheels standard on the Neo, despite the fact that some of the cheapest cars on the market — including the Toyota Yaris and Honda Jazz — now have cameras as standard equipment.

"It might surprise you," Benders said, "but I don't have a string of customer complaints or comments saying, 'where's my reversing camera?'"

There is no silver bullet to stop accidents

Benders said a reversing camera shouldn't be relied on to guard against driveway tragedies involving young children.

"I don't see the driveway as being a place where kids should be walking around in the first place," he said.

"I expect that people who drive cars take care and attention about how they drive their cars. Reversing cameras are not infallible. They're more an aid but so are reverse parking sensors and they will pick up obstacles in the same way."

He later clarified his comments, saying he hadn't meant to be dismissive about the cameras, but was making the point that drivers had to take responsibility for road safety, rather than rely on crash-avoidance technology.

"There is no silver bullet to stop accidents," he said.
I agree with him. Reversing cameras only show the area behind the vehicle, and forces the driver to concentrate on the dash screen in front of them when reversing, and become oblivious to what may be happening elsewhere around the car. Drivers get a false sense of security with cameras. Without a camera the driver, if looking properly, should notice objects that may otherwise be out of camera view. Reverse sensors can then pick up any objects missed, acting as a proper backup safety feature.

For example, a couple of months ago I was following a 4WD vehicle in a carpark, suddenly it swung to the right and stopped without any indication of where it was going to go. Then it started reversing and then I realised it was reversing into an empty car space to my left, level with my front bumper. Obviously I was not in the cameras field of view and he kept coming, I couldn't reverse back as there was a car right behind me. The 4WD RH front guard was swinging around heading toward the front of my wifes little VW polo, so I had to sound the horn. I could see he was staring at the dash, oblivious to what was happening, I had to sound the horn 3 times before he realised and fortunately stopped.

This instance confirmed my thoughts on reverse cameras. They are way overrated as a safety aid. All they do is save the driver from having to turn their head around when reversing.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Do reverse cameras really improve safety when reversing?

They're pretty good on vehicles with view obstruction out the back, my Ambo you couldn't see out the back and the camera and reverse sensors were on all the time so you could see who/what was directly behind you and at what distance even while driving on the highway.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
They're pretty good on vehicles with view obstruction out the back, my Ambo you couldn't see out the back and the camera and reverse sensors were on all the time so you could see who/what was directly behind you and at what distance even while driving on the highway.
Fair enough. But drivers need to be educated to also look out the windows and mirrors, not just the screen when reversing.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #4
Lunch
Wait, what?

My missus has been reversing into our garage for 9 years, last year she got a new car with a reverse camera, she has never struggled more than what she does now, for her, its more of a hinderance i think.
And dont bother trying to use it when its raining, just 1 drop of water on it and u cant see squat
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

They're good for blind spots in cars, SUV's Utes as modern cars seem worse then 15-20 years ago. But like reversing sensors it doesn't stop crap drivers from hitting things. I've seen plenty of modern cars that have damage from items that may have been prevented if they had have been aware whats behind them instead of relying on the tech.
Old 13-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I reckon reverse sensors would be more beneficial. Reverse cameras are ok, but yeah you would want to make sure you are still doing your mirror checks as well.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #7
Thornie
Off smelting

My missus still managed to back into the garage door even with a reversing camera. because most of them dont show above the rear boot garnish.
Old 13-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #8
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Great idea to see whats directly behind you but its just like every other safety feature that finds its way into new cars. Average people who see driving a a chore and an alternative to public transport who dont take any enjoyment from behind the wheel are relying on this type of thing too much. How many people put the car into reverse and then just watch the screen, no mirrors, no blind spot check. I had a client reverse her new Hyundai out of her garage right into a pole offset to her left. She groaned but admitted to just watching the camera. The pole has been there for as long as she has owned the house.
The reality is this type of Safety feature is further dumbing down drivers where as it should be a tool that helps make people better drivers.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #9
adumb
FG G6ET

I probably still use my mirrors more. Really only use the camera to either get really close to the back of my garage or make sure I am far enough forward in a car park.
Old 13-02-2015, 02:52 PM   #10
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

I jump in my wife's car, and can back that thing into a car park twice as quick as in my car where I am questioning the gap I have. My wife hated reverse parking, but now does it at the drop of a hat with the camera.

No, it shouldn't be relied on as gospel, but they are bloody handy and I am looking forward to getting one on the XR.
4 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

With the Tez I find myself looking at the reversing camera a lot more than my rear view mirror when reversing. It's a bad habit, I guess because it is there.

Whereas in my BA I use the mirrors as I normally would.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #12
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

As far as I see it, reverse cameras are to act as an aid, not to be relied upon. Just something to used to help aid safe reversing. I'd still be using the mirrors and turning around to look behind.
Definitely see the benefit of them, but the key is not to rely on it and still use all of the usual safety skills as well!
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #13
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Fair enough. But drivers need to be educated to also look out the windows and mirrors, not just the screen when reversing.
You can turn your head on a swivel all you like, you still can't see behind the car. A reverse camera screen isn't meant to be the only thing you use when reversing. It's used like your mirrors. Your meant to look at everything, mirrors, over the shoulder,reverse screen!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2015, 03:10 PM   #14
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
You can turn your head on a swivel all you like, you still can't see behind the car. A reverse camera screen isn't meant to be the only thing you use when reversing. It's used like your mirrors. Your meant to look at everything, mirrors, over the shoulder,reverse screen!
Please re read what I wrote:

Quote:
But the real problem is that drivers tend to get fixated onto the screen when reversing, especially when reversing into a car space.
Old 13-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #15
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Short answer to the OP question is >>>>>>> 'Yes they do'

Cheers Mike

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-02-2015, 05:08 PM   #16
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brismike View Post
Short answer to the OP question is >>>>>>> 'Yes they do'

Cheers Mike
Even when the majority of drivers only look at the screen, and nothing else?
Old 13-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #17
prydey
Rob

they are good for hooking up to a trailer
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

They are important.

First thing I do is look at the reverse camera and make sure nothing is behind me, or coming within its angle, then i rely on the mirrors and sensors to do the rest.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2015, 05:20 PM   #19
prydey
Rob

i wonder how people survived for decades without them?
2 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #20
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
i wonder how people survived for decades without them?
They didnt and still dont. Kids get run over all the time.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #21
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
They didnt and still dont. Kids get run over all the time.
really? i don't agree.

yes, there have been some tragic stories, but i don't think you could class it as 'all the time', and it would be difficult to prove if these incidents are more prevalent now than years gone by, or vice versa.

a camera may prevent an accident, but i'm more for targeting the cause rather than the effect. kids and cars dont mix, but too many today don't treat operating a vehicle as serious as they should, and surround themselves with far too many distractions.

i agree with the boss of mazda. sometimes technology is great, but it breeds lazy drivers and bad habits.
5 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #22
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

They improve safety, no ifs or buts.just like air bags, abs and all the other safety acronyms,
most of you don't need them.
For those that don't need them-simple don't use em,
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #23
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reverse cameras are not meant to replace what you'd ordinarily do, but supplement it.

Cars are getting so damn big (even small ones) or at least seem bigger that it is harder to see out the back.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2015, 09:01 PM   #24
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
But the real problem is that drivers tend to get fixated onto the screen when reversing, especially when reversing into a car space.
Your judgement is on one drivers stupidity, they do have a role as an extra safety feature to your vehicle, 1TUFFUTE answer is spot on.

Quote:
I installed a reverse camera for many reasons & find it does increase safety.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2015, 09:07 PM   #25
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

i agree with the boss of mazda. sometimes technology is great, but it breeds lazy drivers and bad habits.
On the flip side of things it can enhance awareness.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2015, 09:15 PM   #26
Guzz226

A good friend's toddler daughter was killed almost 8 years ago. She got out the front door following her older brothers outside and took off down the footpath.

A neighbour reversing their Magna killed her when she was on the footpath crossing the driveway.

A can't help but think a camera could have made a difference and she would still be her today.

For that reason alone I will never own a car without a camera - regardless of fault in any potential incident I want to do everything I can to mitigate risk so I can sleep well and not continually wonder "what if" in the event of a wrose case scenario such as the one I can't and won't forget.

So the the OP yes they can and for that reason it is poor form for Mazda to place profits over safety and try to dress it up as something else - why not even provide it as an option?

Bad as Ford and their lessser models such as Kuga and EcoSport - at least Territory and Falcon have a quality camera as standard - the rest of the range has no option, or only top spec sub par options and that incldues Ranger as well as Kuga - Ford have gotta luft their game as most of the competiors (including Mazda for some models) have moved forward and they gotta get with the times.
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2015, 09:59 PM   #27
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:

sorry I was more adding to what you said...not opposing it. ALL GOOD
Old 13-02-2015, 10:03 PM   #28
1TUFFUTE
Banned

id be interested in real world stats...not just the opinion of some muppet trying to push his agenda of selling cheap cars with less content that suits him.

id put money that cars equipped with reverse cameras amount to a VERY small % of deaths or incidents.
Old 13-02-2015, 10:10 PM   #29
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

This works a treat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7XFciCON0w

This in conjunction with a camera and audible alerts is a great safety feature.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2015, 10:40 PM   #30
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
id be interested in real world stats...not just the opinion of some muppet trying to push his agenda of selling cheap cars with less content that suits him.

id put money that cars equipped with reverse cameras amount to a VERY small % of deaths or incidents.
^^^^ this ^^^^

Nailed it
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post