Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Jim Mock air intake

Hey guys looking at inexpensive mods to my AU series 1 6cyl.
I had Pacemakers fitted today, single 2.5" and single triple flow muffler. What a difference that made, very happy. Looked on the Jim Mock site, they have a aircleaner assembly that replaces the airbox. Its $190, which is much cheaper than a SS big mouth. I was worried about the air intake sucking in hot air. Strret Fords has a SS big mouth article in it about fitting etc. Just want a good bang for buck. looking at dyno tuning the car when this one of these is fitted.
AZZA

azza11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
santb

Quote:
Originally Posted by azza11
Hey guys looking at inexpensive mods to my AU series 1 6cyl.
I had Pacemakers fitted today, single 2.5" and single triple flow muffler. What a difference that made, very happy. Looked on the Jim Mock site, they have a aircleaner assembly that replaces the airbox. Its $190, which is much cheaper than a SS big mouth. I was worried about the air intake sucking in hot air. Strret Fords has a SS big mouth article in it about fitting etc. Just want a good bang for buck. looking at dyno tuning the car when this one of these is fitted.
AZZA
get the biggest snorkel you can find/afford... i bought my el recently with an ss one in there, but i would never pay for it myself..au stock are ok, i believe, or try to find an xr6 one. stock box is fine..but get k&n pod, go to bunnings for a 3" 45 degree reducer to 2", and some 2"-2.5" straight pvc(have a look see what fits your main induction pipe out of the box lid), make it all fit, bang.. no hot air, all stock looking, takes about an hour buggering around... all nubers are approx; i can't remember without looking, but the pods are 3" so you need to fit that plus angle it downwards to make it fit. easier than i make it sound!! and all up including pod and filter-oil(supercheap) around $110 + an hour-ish...
santb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
santb

no joke this set-up is as good as any pro job.. just hundreds less. can post some photos of mine on weekend if you can wait.
best part is looks all stock.
and it works!
but i admit i had the ss snorkel to start. this would work with stock snorkel, but better with bigger snorkel...
i had an idea of cutting 2" -ish hole in front of air box(directly behind headlight) and transplanting a cheap oval-shape funnel...yes, from supercheap, $3. don't know if i'll bother but could help boost intake for stock snorkel....
Old 26-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by santb
no joke this set-up is as good as any pro job.. just hundreds less. can post some photos of mine on weekend if you can wait.
best part is looks all stock.
and it works!
Thanks santb, if you dont mind the pics im sure others will be interested. The SS one you still need to modify the bottom of your airbox. Your bunnings one sounds easy and inexpensive. I've alreay got a realy good filter in there and thought about modifying the existing one. The XR6 one is bigger is it?
AZZA
Old 26-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
santb

Quote:
Thanks santb, if you dont mind the pics im sure others will be interested. The SS one you still need to modify the bottom of your airbox. Your bunnings one sounds easy and inexpensive. I've alreay got a realy good filter in there and thought about modifying the existing one. The XR6 one is bigger is it?
AZZA
xr6 1 is bigger but not huge. yes you have to cut a bigger hole for bigger snorkel.. but you'd be surprised the difference just the filter change can make... do the filter, then save up/hunt down bigger snorkel later..
will post pics on weekend... been secretly wanting to show it off anyway. heres my excuse!
Old 26-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Dyi

This is mine. K&N Filter, 3" pipe from local exhaust guy and removed the joiner fro the airbox lid

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
santb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
This is mine. K&N Filter, 3" pipe from local exhaust guy and removed the joiner fro the airbox lid

UK
that looks sweet. i thinking of mandrel bent one peice pipe from airbox, but $$ mean it can wait.. dyno tune soon...
Old 26-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #8
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
AZZA

No he is wrong, U either want the AU xr8 tickford snorkel (cost more just cause it has the wings) or a BA/bf xr6t same size as the xr8 one, there up to $40 from your local ford dealer. I myself run a 3inch aluminum pipe with a 3inch pod onto the top of the bottom half of my air box. Pics below so u get what i mean.

and here is a pic with a standard snorkel and xr6 turbo snorkel

51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
santb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken

UK
wheres your lpg mixer..? inside the intake?
Old 26-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #10
santb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51OAU
No he is wrong, U either want the AU xr8 tickford snorkel (cost more just cause it has the wings) or a BA/bf xr6t same size as the xr8 one, there up to $40 from your local ford dealer. I myself run a 3inch aluminum pipe with a 3inch pod onto the top of the bottom half of my air box. Pics below so u get what i mean.

thats cool....! nice car!! i don't know about au snorkels, i admit. i assumed stock/xr6 would be bit bigger... but even just a filter upgrade will help..
how much for the shiny pipe??
This user likes this post:
Old 26-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #11
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
wheres your lpg mixer..? inside the intake?

If u want most gain from a CAI u want to remove the FLEXY part from the hose, it causes tornados in there so don't get full flow of air.
Old 26-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
Uncle_Ken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

This is an old pic but shows the basic LPG setup

Engine bay

Uncle_Ken
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 26-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #13
Uncle_Ken

Sorry the mixer is inside the intake
Old 26-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #14
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
thats cool....! nice car!! i don't know about au snorkels, i admit. i assumed stock/xr6 would be bit bigger... but even just a filter upgrade will help..
how much for the shiny pipe??

Mate he is asking for a AU not a EL like yours so needs AU snorkels. Piping cost me about $150 all together.
Old 26-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #15
santb

Quote:
Mate he is asking for a AU not a EL like yours so needs AU snorkels. Piping cost me about $150 all together.
i did realise this. thats why i said xr- snorkel... didn't mean el..
Old 26-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #16
santb

Quote:

you dont use the airbox lid?
Old 26-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #17
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
you dont use the airbox lid?

yea fair enough mate, im just in a shitty mode, haha nar i don't use the top. Bottom half keeps the heat away enough, its got a hole cut in the front aswell.
Old 26-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #18
santb

Quote:
yea fair enough mate, im just in a shitty mode, haha nar i don't use the top. Bottom half keeps the heat away enough, its got a hole cut in the front aswell.
THREAD-RAGE!!!
thats cool; been there..
Old 26-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #19
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

Just for something a bit different ill post up mine, looks a tad more stock lol.

Then again if I could get one fabricated like yours 51OAU I probably would, By the way where did you get the expansion tank?, looks wicked

pmpdau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #20
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My cousin made it for me mate, $40 in total
Old 26-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #21
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

That makes sad on the inside, happy for you :P

Very very sad for me haha, was looking at the PWR range.....i think their standard price is the 300 mark
pmpdau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #22
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys keep the pics coming. The piping looks appealing. I'm caught with going the stealthy mode or going all out. Would like a XR6 rocker cover and few asthetics, i would go the pipework then, i do metal polishing and a mate owns a muffler shop so can make something very nice up. What gains do you reckon you are getting from this mod? 7-12kw at tyres?
AZZA
Old 26-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #23
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Nice and thanx for pics, appreciated.
AZZA
Old 27-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #24
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Thanks guys keep the pics coming. The piping looks appealing. I'm caught with going the stealthy mode or going all out. Would like a XR6 rocker cover and few asthetics, i would go the pipework then, i do metal polishing and a mate owns a muffler shop so can make something very nice up. What gains do you reckon you are getting from this mod? 7-12kw at tyres?
AZZA
Without the exhaust work not much if anything...but... everyone agrees that with whats been shown above yuor car will breath a lot better. Expect gains when your do extractors and muffler

UK
Old 27-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #25
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have done the exhaust a few days ago, pacemakers, 2.5" and single triple flow muffler, 3" stainless dump. Should have done the cat but there was nothing wrong with it. Car is much more responsive and i nice note, not loud and no drone. Less pedal to do the speed limits required.
AZZA
Old 27-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #26
Uncle_Ken

Time for a Dyno I reckon
UK
Old 27-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #27
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Amen to that. Probably do the cold airbox first, then dyno tune etc. Probably run down to Willowbank for a test and tune, hoping for a high 15 low 16.
AZZA
Old 27-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #28
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With mine, I've got a Tickford snorkel (which I renewed), a Fram Airhog filter in the standard airbox with an EF bellmouth, into a BA intake snorkel. The flow is better, I wouldnt say much of a power increase, but the engine feels better, a bit more lively.

My current exhaust system is the factory headers, collapsed factory cat and a 2.5" sports exhaust. That will change very shortly as I've got a wildcat extractor and a 200cpsi metal cat waiting to go on. I'm just saving for a new cat back exhaust.

I'm in a similar position to you it would seem. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #29
The Monty
Just slidin'

Id better not post up my engine bay pics, lol.
At least its not covered in oil and power steering fluid anymore, lol.
How it is now:

With this intake, but without the airbox lid on:

Old 27-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #30
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Just installed my SS Inductions CAI today.....bought the whole setup off a fellow forumite (snorkle, modified airbox) + modified airbox lid (bellmouth installed similar to what is on the EF lid - proven to have best flow)

Definately an increase over the XR6T snorkle that I had...the engine feels like it's revving out more smoothly.....little more responsive down low as well.

Also coming soon are Pacemaker 4499's, Ballistic 100cpsi Racing Cat & Redback 2.5" system...when it's all on it should be quite a tidy little package!