Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-10-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
Falcon Freak
Banned

Angry Not good news for the Australian automotive industry

It does not matter if you are from the blue or red side, the early signs are not promising for the VE Commodore. This is not good news for all who are involved in local automotive industry:Article from Sydney Morning Herald 13th October 2006.

FF

Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
XR8putts

Lets just hope people think the VE is ugly
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Yeah the large car market is struggling, the shift from 6cyl cars to 4cyl cars has been huge since the jump in fuel prices.

Holden has been very worried the last two weeks.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Petrol is still cheap in the ME, so im sure they'll just export more.
Unfortunatly, Ford Aus doesnt have that luxury.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 07:41 PM   #5
Falcon Freak
Banned

Here is another version of the same article.

FF
Old 15-10-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Meh - the sooner then better if you ask me. Ford and Holden have had more than enough time to improve the quality and reliability of their cars but instead they insist on polishing turds and calling them 'cars'. Get Mr Howard to remove the 55% luxury car tax and lets see what happens to the Australian automotive industry..
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 07:43 PM   #7
Falcon Freak
Banned

Chich you should be concerned as Holden's sales performance impacts you too.

FF
Old 15-10-2006, 07:48 PM   #8
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Chich you should be concerned as Holden's sales performance impacts you too.

FF
To be perfectly honest i really don't give a flying **** about Holdens or Fords sales performance. The easier the government makes it for me to get behind the wheel of an RS4, E55 or M3 the happier i am :eclipsee_
Old 15-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #9
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is a sad thing to happen. Personally I think removing the tariffs on imports has also contributed to the decline of the Aussie large car. Ford and Holden need to bring a little more quality and value for money into their cars. They're not innovative enough with their flagship cars. I'd like to say i would get another falcon but i don't want to be burnt by crap quality again.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 07:56 PM   #10
BlueJ

75% of the article's content was about Holden losing fleet sales on the back of pricing VEs to attract private buyers, but there was nothing much made of private sales. So I guess VE sales to private buyers might be around where Holden would like it to be?

If fleet buyers aren't buying VEs, wouldn't they be buying Falcons, Camrys (Aurions) or 380s instead - so won't the 'lost' VE fleet sales stay in the Australian made sector?

I smiled at the comparison between the VE sales strategy and Ford's AU sales strategy...I suppose the Holden management gurus didn't enjoy reading that bit.

Personally I think the VE styling is a bit fussy around the headlights, the front wheelarches are too prominent from oblique views and the fender vents are pure w*nk. I guess many buyers won't look too much deeper than that, and the VE unique feature - 50/50 weight distribution - would be irrelevant to 99% of buyers, even if they knew what it meant. Or maybe I am just cynical.
BlueJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 07:57 PM   #11
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

I heard that the fleet pricing jumped just after launch. It cost them a few customers in Adelaide, but I guess they want to make the cars more profitable. The question is, is it viable to try an produce cars at the quality of say BMW or Audi when the volume is nowhere near those manufacturers?

Edit: Fleet buyers are still out there, but they are hanging on to their vehicles for longer in the hope of some better pricing.
Old 15-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #12
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

One of the guys that I work with is going through the process of buying a new V8 VE. The fleet discount is pathetic. It's not like the car is worth it, compared to the XR8. For my self, the more I see of the VE the closer it looks to pig dog ugly. Maybe people just starting to think the same.
Old 15-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #13
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
It is a sad thing to happen. Personally I think removing the tariffs on imports has also contributed to the decline of the Aussie large car. Ford and Holden need to bring a little more quality and value for money into their cars. They're not innovative enough with their flagship cars. I'd like to say i would get another falcon but i don't want to be burnt by crap quality again.
I agree with your comments 110%. The tariff reduction has definitely contributed to the decline of the industry because other people - namely the Japanese - build much better cars for the same amount of coin. This being the case, peoples expectations are much higher these days (rightly so).

In my opinion there are 4 main areas where Aussies cars fall over - quality, reliability, resale and dealer support.
Old 15-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #14
lowriding
interloper

Silly article imo .That story doesnt say much at all , only compares sales of one month against sales of the first month of VT in 1997. I dont think anyone was expecting the market share to jump back to what it was 10 years ago !
lowriding is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 09:41 PM   #15
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where are these much better Japanese cars? Where can you get a V8 or Turbo 6 large RWD sedan that runs 13s from Japan for $45k? Matter of fact you cant even get anything like it from Japan.
Where in the World can you get this? If you want similar from Europe you'd have to spend $150k.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 09:42 PM   #16
RATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
Meh - the sooner then better if you ask me. Ford and Holden have had more than enough time to improve the quality and reliability of their cars but instead they insist on polishing turds and calling them 'cars'. Get Mr Howard to remove the 55% luxury car tax and lets see what happens to the Australian automotive industry..
Where the hell did you get 55%??
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 09:44 PM   #17
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
To be perfectly honest i really don't give a flying **** about Holdens or Fords sales performance. The easier the government makes it for me to get behind the wheel of an RS4, E55 or M3 the happier i am :eclipsee_
Government welfare payments won't get you behind the wheel of an RS4, E55 or M3 etc.

FF
Old 15-10-2006, 09:50 PM   #18
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

i honestly think the removal of the luxury car tax would be a godsend to competition...it would defintley have me considering a change to the euro's.
and i think it would do a lot to get the red and blue camps to really get serious about the product they produce or go home.
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 09:52 PM   #19
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Was gonna say a couple of things but falcon freak and RATT already said them.
In real terms we are in a position where our cars are much better than before, and considering so many jap and euro cars are made in places like India and China I wouldn't be pushing that alleged "Japanese Quality" nonsense. Where do you think the ML's are made?

Quote: