Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-07-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Urgent - power steering fluid?

guys

im at work and urgently need to top up the power steering fluid - very very low. my own stupid fault for not checking it regularly but id like to put some in there asap.

im pretty sure youre actually supposed to used auto trans fluid in them but can someone confirm this?

tia

b2tf

Old 08-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Hey Austin, the powersteering fluid for our cars is a clear type fluid and ive always only used the Ford fluid. But im sure its the same and could be mixed. Castrol list to use the Castrol Syntrans 75w/85. Shell list to use the SHELL DONAX TD 5W-30.

Shaun.

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Ive only evet used whatevers been available at the servo (the auto trans/powersteering dxIII stuff), I figured all powersteering pumps are pretty much similar, and cant imagine thered be a massive difference.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

They are all roughly the same, but is it ok to mix them with the clear fluid that Ford use from factory?

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 01:56 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

did a bit of research here and through the service handbook and found that Penrite Power Steering Fluid is suitable, and meets the specification that Ford list (M2C-134D). So Ive whacked some of that in there and will see how it goes.

For reference, the Penrite fluid p/n is 110536, and goes for about $6.99 for a 500ml bottle.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

I couldnt see it doing any harm.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dexron III will do the trick
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

EL on use a different fluid,NOT atf ... As listed above it is a heavier gear oil ..
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #9
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

I use the Valvoline stuff.

Its brown and has a consistancy of manual trans fluid.

The stuff is called "Ford Power Steering Fluid" and has a picture of an AU Xr on the label.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #10
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

Had to pick some up the other night and got Valvoline Formula F, says it's for late model falcons, specifically AU models, even has a red XR on the label.

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Oo_xrsx_oO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #11
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaust
EL on use a different fluid,NOT atf ... As listed above it is a heavier gear oil ..
That's right mate and adding to NeishaXR8's Post, it is Castrol Syntrans that EL on use. it's a manual transmission fluid and is all you should use in post EL falcons............
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 10:25 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50
That's right mate and adding to NeishaXR8's Post, it is Castrol Syntrans that EL on use. it's a manual transmission fluid and is all you should use in post EL falcons............
Jamie you were the bloke I was hoping would reply this arvo when I was at work, had about 8 different bottles in front of me and wasnt sure which one to use!

As I mentioned above, I went thru the owners manual and found the specification for the fluid, then just went with the Penrite one because it states that it meets that spec. So I think it should be ok, havent had any problems with it so far and Ive done maybe 80 or so kms with it in there so far.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:36 PM   #13
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Jamie you were the bloke I was hoping would reply this arvo when I was at work, had about 8 different bottles in front of me and wasnt sure which one to use!

As I mentioned above, I went thru the owners manual and found the specification for the fluid, then just went with the Penrite one because it states that it meets that spec. So I think it should be ok, havent had any problems with it so far and Ive done maybe 80 or so kms with it in there so far.
sorry mate, let someone else down this week!

Ford changed the specification for AU on- I don't know the reason, maybe a different hydraulic system or something, maybe too many warranty claims/problems with pre-AU systems???

If you have lost fluid I would be more worried about whe're it's gone- my guess would be the connection at the top of the reservoir, about a $130 line and a couple of hours to fix but maybe that's jumping the gun........

Who knows, could be worth a check though mate. don't forget, theres a T3 for sale floating around somewhere that might just be what you are ultimeately looking for
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 08-07-2007, 10:39 PM   #14
MRJUCY
Fordless

I've had Royal Purple Max EZ in mine for over a year & it's been fine.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 10:46 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
sorry mate, let someone else down this week!

Ford changed the specification for AU on- I don't know the reason, maybe a different hydraulic system or something, maybe too many warranty claims/problems with pre-AU systems???

If you have lost fluid I would be more worried about whe're it's gone- my guess would be the connection at the top of the reservoir, about a $130 line and a couple of hours to fix but maybe that's jumping the gun........

Who knows, could be worth a check though mate. don't forget, theres a T3 for sale floating around somewhere that might just be what you are ultimeately looking for
Its got me stuffed where the fluid went too, it was almost empty when I topped it up, really surprised me when I opened it and there was none there.

I checked all the lines thinking it may have been a connection as the parents AU2 did the same thing, but from what I could tell its not leaking, no puddles either.

Ive parked it up tonight so I can check under there tomorrow, just hoping I havent done any damage to the rack etc by letting it go so low.

Re the T3, if it was over here and an auto, Id say you would have a buyer by now......
Old 08-07-2007, 10:50 PM   #16
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Its got me stuffed where the fluid went too, it was almost empty when I topped it up, really surprised me when I opened it and there was none there.

I checked all the lines thinking it may have been a connection as the parents AU2 did the same thing, but from what I could tell its not leaking, no puddles either.

Ive parked it up tonight so I can check under there tomorrow, just hoping I havent done any damage to the rack etc by letting it go so low.

Re the T3, if it was over here and an auto, Id say you would have a buyer by now......
Nah, if the pump wasn't making that horrible "i've got no fluid' sound it is probably OK, I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye on the level as that line is under pressure so when it leaks out, it's a spray not a puddle- If it's a fine crack or leak it could be hard to find, but check nearby components in the engine bay for signs of oil (particularly plastics as they'll show it better)

As for the T3, is everyone after autos now?
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 PM   #17
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL Austin, check the rack boots....

I remember when i had to refill my power steering system, i used a mobil gear oil, which suited Ford power steering systems.

Jim i dont think he could handle the power lol :
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 10:53 PM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

phil i could so handle the power :

Jim I'll swap you - T3 for ute and small child
Old 08-07-2007, 11:01 PM   #19
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL, as i said in previous post mate, check your rack boots, as the racks seem to end up leaking at the ends, the seal gets worn there, and in turn it leaks and fills up your rack boots!!.

Mate, i think if you dropped the clutch in it you would sheet you strides lol.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:07 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
LOL, as i said in previous post mate, check your rack boots, as the racks seem to end up leaking at the ends, the seal gets worn there, and in turn it leaks and fills up your rack boots!!.

Mate, i think if you dropped the clutch in it you would sheet you strides lol.
i would not, youd just be jealous. you and shaun would be all over me to install my cam then! :

Ill take a look at the rack boots and just give those hoses one more going over, the engine bay's a bit dirty from all the rain we've had (and no before you say it i havent been driving round with the bonnet up: ).
Old 09-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #21
FalKeen
FTF Car Club NSW

Quote:
my guess would be the connection at the top of the reservoir, about a $130 line and a couple of hours to fix.....

looks like thats what im up for....mines leaking from there

surely its just a bloody o-ring........
FalKeen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #22
MRJUCY
Fordless

Mine leaked from there it looked like to me that you should be able to just change the end or nut but everyone told me you have to do the whole line so that's what I did & it's a proper pain to fit.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #23
FalKeen
FTF Car Club NSW

yeah looks like you gotta take the air con compressor etc out to get the old line out and new one in yeah?

the line isnt under pressure when the car is turned off is it? just when the pump is running? ie can i undo the two nuts and lift the line out to check it out without fluid p!ssing everywhere??
Old 09-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #24
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalKeen
yeah looks like you gotta take the air con compressor etc out to get the old line out and new one in yeah?

the line isnt under pressure when the car is turned off is it? just when the pump is running? ie can i undo the two nuts and lift the line out to check it out without fluid p!ssing everywhere??
Hey Adam,
Get the hose off ebay, $90 or thereabouts, changed the hose in the wifes Forte and took half an hour but I guess the XR8 is more chokers in comparison. Hose has no pressure when engine is off, just remember to catch any oil left in the line :
I doubt that you will see anything as alot of the leaks happen through one of the 2 connections that are crimped on, another alternative is to take the hose off and take to ENZED who will replace the crimped joints and test for $50.

Mick

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2007, 05:28 PM   #25
MRJUCY
Fordless

I didn't take anything like that off you can fit it through everything but it's frustrating.

It's harder on the V8s then the 6s because it has to go from one side of the engine bay to the other.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:31 PM   #26
FalKeen
FTF Car Club NSW

ok thanks guys will check it out
Old 09-07-2007, 05:53 PM   #27
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
I didn't take anything like that off you can fit it through everything but it's frustrating.

It's harder on the V8s then the 6s because it has to go from one side of the engine bay to the other.
^^^^^^

Spot on Jucy- no, you don't have to take anything off but yes, it sure is a PITA
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 09-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #28
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pfttttt Typical V8's. Need maintenance. Time to shed a little weight and get a 6 pack :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #29
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Pfttttt Typical V8's. Need maintenance. Time to shed a little weight and get a 6 pack :
Id rather more weight and maintenance than to have that special Taxi sound!! :
Old 09-07-2007, 06:28 PM   #30
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
Id rather more weight and maintenance than to have that special Taxi sound!! :
You don't mean that. Take that back.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post