Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Change of engine number

G'day forum correspondents.

I'm in Perth and I have changed the engine in my ute.
I have downloaded a form from the department of transport to notify them of the change however the form states: "If the configuration of the engine has altered to the extent that the number of cylinders, RAC horsepower rating or fuel type has altered then the vehicle must be presented for an examination and a certificate of inspection completed.

I have replaced my stock xh motor for an EL XR6.

I take it this would be a change in horsepower rating?
I have heard that an increase in horsepower is considered to be 25% or more.
Anyone else heard of this? Would the XR motor be considered 25% more horsepower?

What do you guys reckon? Should I fill the form out and post it? Or will I have to pay mr plod a visit?

Cheers.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Default Re: Change of engine number

You have nothing to worry about. Number of cylinders is the same and you've fitted an engine that is optioned in the same model. No need to get it engineered.

I have changed engines in the past and taken the vehicle with me to the transport dept in case the clerk wanted to verify it - they used to visually verify the numbers on the engine, not anymore, you've submitted a signed document and showed identification that's all they need.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok cool. That gives me a piece of mind Supershifty!

The next thing I have to worry about is the section on the form titled 'Seller of Replaced Engine"
I bought it many years ago and the sellers contact details are long gone. So im just going to write "contact details lost" or something to that effect...and hope they accept that...and hope the motor is not hot.

Click here to see my ute
Old 18-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Spurious

If your worried the donk might be stolen just ring REV's ( registry of encumbered vehicles) or ask the cops to do a search. If the motor registry insist on sellers details just go to a local cemetery and find a head stone thats a couple years old... LOL.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlivverFord View Post
If your worried the donk might be stolen just ring REV's ( registry of encumbered vehicles) or ask the cops to do a search. If the motor registry insist on sellers details just go to a local cemetery and find a head stone thats a couple years old... LOL.
Henry Ford ???
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Flivverford.... I like your style.

Click here to see my ute
Old 19-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
Spurious

If the rego mob know the persons dead and want a certificate, say you can't as the registry of births deaths and marriages don't give info to non family members (true). Alternatively you could just buy a reciept book and make your own...how they gonna know. Unless they read ford forums of course D'OH!!!
Old 19-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Spurious

If you invent your own receipt then just use an absolutely ridiculous name. Something like M.Andem ( eminem) or Higota Engino (i got an engine) & tell the DMV he was an italian bloke who you met playing bowls! You'll have a cracker of a laugh with ya' mates afterwards!
Old 19-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
Henry Ford ???
mmm...that could be a little obvious.
Old 19-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
Spurious

At some point you have to just throw your hands up and say "what can i do?" "this situation is what it is buddy". My cous' in canberra told me he bought an unrego'd trailer from a deceased estate. A.C.T road services said they won't rego it without proof of purchase containg the previous owners signiature...mmm...that might be a little bit IMPOSSIBLE!!! So i suggested he let one of his trusted friends in NSW get it rego'd in their name (DMV's a bit more understanding over the border) then transfer it to the A.C.T.
Old 19-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh. Ill just say that previous owner is unknown. The form does not ask for a reciept or signature from previous owner.

I could say it was in the shed of the house i bought or find an old wreckers that no longer is in business, but ill just tell them the truth..I bought it many years ago and the sellers info is lost.

im contacting REVS tonight. if its not stolen then im going ahead with sendign the form off. Cross your fingers for me and ill keep you posted on the progress.

Click here to see my ute
Old 19-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlivverFord View Post
If you invent your own receipt then just use an absolutely ridiculous name. Something like M.Andem ( eminem) or Higota Engino (i got an engine) & tell the DMV he was an italian bloke who you met playing bowls! You'll have a cracker of a laugh with ya' mates afterwards!
What about the French man, Jim Apple

The German, Gordon Morgan.

The Spaniard, Ben Osdias.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #13
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
What about the French man, Jim Apple

The German, Gordon Morgan.

The Spaniard, Ben Osdias.
Dont forget the mexican... Senior' chia waarwa
Old 20-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for something so simple this is starting to get very complicated.just change the engine number and forget it,dont even tell them its an xr6 motor they don't need to know that all they need is the new engine number.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordOwner View Post
G'day forum correspondents.

I'm in Perth and I have changed the engine in my ute.
I have downloaded a form from the department of transport to notify them of the change however the form states: "If the configuration of the engine has altered to the extent that the number of cylinders, RAC horsepower rating or fuel type has altered then the vehicle must be presented for an examination and a certificate of inspection completed.

I have replaced my stock xh motor for an EL XR6.

I take it this would be a change in horsepower rating?
I have heard that an increase in horsepower is considered to be 25% or more.
Anyone else heard of this? Would the XR motor be considered 25% more horsepower?

What do you guys reckon? Should I fill the form out and post it? Or will I have to pay mr plod a visit?

Cheers.
RAC (Royal Automobile Club) horsepower has nothing to do with the actual power output of the engine. It is a calculation based on the number of cylinders and the bore. It is the formula that is used here and in the UK to calculate tax or registration fees. A six cylinder Falcon has an RAC horsepower rating of about 36hp.

Read this article, it has a section on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAC_hor..._horsepower.29RAC horsepower (taxable horsepower)[edit]
See also: Tax horsepower
This measure was instituted by the Royal Automobile Club in Britain and was used to denote the power of early 20th-century British cars. Many cars took their names from this figure (hence the Austin Seven and Riley Nine), while others had names such as "40/50 hp", which indicated the RAC figure followed by the true measured power.
Taxable horsepower does not reflect developed horsepower; rather, it is a calculated figure based on the engine's bore size, number of cylinders, and a (now archaic) presumption of engine efficiency. As new engines were designed with ever-increasing efficiency, it was no longer a useful measure, but was kept in use by UK regulations which used the rating for tax purposes.

where
D is the diameter (or bore) of the cylinder in inches
n is the number of cylinders [16]
This is equal to the displacement in cubic inches divided by 10π then divided again by the stroke in inches.
Since taxable horsepower was computed based on bore and number of cylinders, not based on actual displacement, it gave rise to engines with 'undersquare' dimensions (bore smaller than stroke) this tended to impose an artificially low limit on rotational speed (rpm), hampering the potential power output and efficiency of the engine.
The situation persisted for several generations of four- and six-cylinder British engines: for example, Jaguar's 3.4-litre XK engine of the 1950s had six cylinders with a bore of 83 mm (3.27 in) and a stroke of 106 mm (4.17 in),[17] where most American automakers had long since moved to oversquare (large bore, short stroke) V-8s (see, for example, the early Chrysler Hemi).

To cut a long story short, your new engine will have the same RAC Hp number.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post