Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-09-2006, 07:27 AM   #1
Falcon Freak
Banned

Default Adventra replacement Captiva details revealed

Link to Holden website

FF

Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 08:25 AM   #2
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

I guess we knew this was coming, so basically every model Holden sells, bar the VE, is a Daewoo, given the deletion of the Euro built Vectra.
Captiva looks like a cheap childs toy compared to Territory, the only way it could possibly sell is due to Holden's (sometimes) slick marketing campaigns.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
ltd
Force Fed Fords

"created our own SUV - which really raises the bar"
More like, "we went to south korea, grabbed our ankles at the daewoo plant, and this is what we got."

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 09:03 AM   #4
Danny
GT4.

The Back of it looks unmistakably Korean. The Interior, is a spin off of Commodores (Albeit still showing enough korean "tyco"-ness to give the game away) rather than a clever integration of commodores great interior a la Falcon to Terri.

I noted as well that they have shown a Pic of the "Overseas Model" Which has an Opel Badge on the Steering wheel. Is this a ploy Holden's marketing are using to con people into thinking that they are European built??

Just another Korean Bog pack with some Holden styling, and just about every Faux Fancy Feature crammed into it to make it appealing to the masses. Sad thing is though, while I don't think territory is in any danger, this thing could actually be popular.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 09:12 AM   #5
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Why do car companies give such lame names to cars?

What person is going to hold their head up high when they say "I have a....Captiva". It needs to be called something cool like... Destroyer, Fury, Fireball... or Furion or something..
Old 08-09-2006, 09:14 AM   #6
UNRULY

No V8 :(
UNRULY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 10:11 AM   #7
Hally

One of the Captiva models (the Maxx from memory) is Opel built, with the rest of the range being Korean built.

It should be remembered that Holden had a big hand in the design of the car (mike Simcoe) and that Holden are the owners of Daewoo. This is the main reason why they are importing so many Korean cars also.
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #8
WASP
Whipple Induced

Althougth I would personally still go a Territory Turbo, the Captiva looks ok to me. Actually has a lot of features. Question is considering alot of Territory buyers are not your tipical 'Ford Loving' folk, will they care that the Captiva is Korean? Holden will push that the motor was built right here in Australia.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #9
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

It's more of a Escape competitor, FWD with AWD on-demand. Terri is either dedicated RWD or dedicated AWD, not some half-arsed system...
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 03:49 PM   #10
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
"created our own SUV - which really raises the bar"
More like, "we went to south korea, grabbed our ankles at the daewoo plant, and this is what we got."
The only thing that Holden did right was use enough lubricant :P

But Daewoo...they built better cars on Playschool!
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 07:12 PM   #11
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wonder if they will have ANOTHER law suit coming their way... Peugot taking them to court over 307 badge, and Mazda taking them to court for model designation MAXX... as Mazda have used that for a few years now, at least on the 3.....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 08:31 PM   #12
blackahcdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally
One of the Captiva models (the Maxx from memory) is Opel built, with the rest of the range being Korean built.

It should be remembered that Holden had a big hand in the design of the car (mike Simcoe) and that Holden are the owners of Daewoo. This is the main reason why they are importing so many Korean cars also.

The Captiva MAXX is the Opel Antara. True. But it is built in the same Factory as the rets of the Captiva range.

Also the Cativas are first of the GMDAT vechiles to arrive in OZ ie they are not just Daewoos with Holden Badges wacked on a la Barina & Viva. These vechiles were designed since Holden Bough Daewoo, and as such carry Holden design influences, suspension tuens and engines.

Will be interesting indeed to see how good this car is.
blackahcdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 09:03 PM   #13
stevz
Banned

I find it amazing that people can just write off a car simply based on its country of manufacture, without even driving it. There haven't even been any tests or reviews published yet. Ignorance at its best.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #14
Sloth

I love this line on the mini site:

"Its eye catching, its iconic, It's 100% Holden"
Old 08-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #15
blackahcdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth
I love this line on the mini site:

"Its eye catching, its iconic, It's 100% Holden"
Well it is Holden Designed, and it does use a Holden engine and it is built in a Holden owned factory :p
blackahcdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #16
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Actually, No.

Holden does not own Daewoo, Holden does not own anyone but Holden.
General Motors own Daewoo.
What's the difference I hear you ask?
Well, General motors can tell Daewoo what to do, Holden can't.
As for the origins of the car; being a Daewoo people are concerned as to the quality, dubious or not. Ask if little johnnie or jainie is happy spending 40 grand on a holden and they'll resoundingly say; "yes"
Ask them if they're happy to spend 40 grand on a daewoo and they are likely to umm and arr a bit.
A daewoo with a holden badge is just that, a daewoo with a holden badge.
Any design input made by Holden would have been subjected to concessions made by GM and their input, as well as design and manufacturing considerations.
The fact that Holden are going to promote this thing as though it is Holden made is fraudulent, and little johnnie and jainie are likely to fall for the marketing bs from holden.
In summary, I can confidently say that territory = australia and australian jobs,
captiva = korea and korean jobs.
Or more succinctly, Ford = good, Holden = poo.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 10:29 PM   #17
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought Holden were given charge of running Daewoo.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #18
ltd
Force Fed Fords

No, not at all. Daewoo is about 10 times the size of Holden.
Holden are lucky they weren't taken charge by Daewoo.

Daewoo is just a little smaller than Hyundai, who supply the world market with tens of millions of cars, trucks, earth moving equipment, electronics etc. They are (as well as Daewoo) developing into one of the worlds big 10 companies. In the next few years if and when GM bite the bullet Daewoo will probably try to buy out the fledgling GM brand.

Quote: