Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Rational man's thoughts for 2012

G'day Fellow Ford Fans,
Just googling my way around the net the other night and got onto some 2012 doomsday stuff. I searched in here for threads related but found only 2012 model releases.. but if there's a duplicate, feel free to delete this and direct me to it thanks moderators.

Ok, it seems there's a sqillion theories out there (give or take), the authors of which are invariably CORRECT, just ask em'. The main theories seem to revolve around 4 main keys:
1. Galactic stuff affecting our planet; by actual scientists (the most credible of all, thankfully these guys seem less inclined to say we're all gonna die)

2. The end of the world and mankind as we know it; mainly by religious fanatics trying to sell prophecy and survival books.

3. The economical and social collapse of major countries; by conspiracy theorists (unsurprisingly America, England, Australia and Canada are apparently the major victims of this event)

4. And that bloody Mayan calender (a glorified odometer)

If you couldn't care less, look away now but if you're curious in any way like I was, this is a very basic blurb on what I'v come to learn;

Firstly the Mayan calender which has great cycles of 144,000 days or something similar. It started August 11, 3114 BC and ends December 21 2012. Many scientific theories of doom have had their fruition dates altered to coincide with this. The Mayans themselves insist their end of days is nothing more that a spiritual change or consciousness shift and afterwards, their calender happily ticks over from 13,13,13,13,13,13,13,13,13,13,13,13,13 to 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1 and their new cycle begins. (it should be noted that others have put their own spin on this, inserting their own beliefs into the mix and claiming that's what the Mayans believe)

Then there's the religious nutters.. even everyday nutters are afraid of religious nutters. I haven't read any of their stuff in depth because it's mainly about purchasing a book to ready yourself to be accepted into the new world as god himself has apparently written this one off as of 2008 and due to be phased out totally by 2012.

The conspiracy theorists who site 2009 as the year the USA starts to implode financially then politically, coming to a head in 2012, some have tossed World War 3 in there, and many have said Australia and other Western nations are goin down with the ship too.

Then the only ones I'v actually even considered taking seriously are the scientists. All sorts of events have been penned for this day in 2012 (get out your umbrellas, she's gonna get nasty outside). Collisions with asteroids, Major volcanic/siezemic activity, polar reversal etc, but the most talked about and the only reasonable one for my digestion is the solar activity. Apparently there are solar cycles of 11 years and the current one is set to peak early 2012 (although thus far it's been the least volatile cycle in 100 years). Many scientist, astronomers etc have predicted Solar activity having effects on the Earth, ranging from electrical/telecom disruptions all the way to total scorching of the planet.

What do I think is gonna happen?? BUGGER ALL!! At the very worst I can see mass panic and hysteria in places such as America where they are fed much stronger doses of these doomsday stories. If any sort of natural disaster occurs in November/December 2012, no matter how mild, I think panic is very possible.

Anyway take from this what you will, I'd love to read what other rational and unbiassed Australains reckon about it all.

Before I go, here are some of the most interesting theories:
**Apparently some countries such as Russia are nearing completion of entire underground cities to hold tens of thousands of people in case of any doomsday event, and Norway has underground facilities for their entire population!

**Novelty Theory / Timewave Zero: 'According to Terence McKenna, who conceived the idea over several years in the early-mid 1970s while using psilocybin mushrooms and DMT, the universe has a teleological attractor at the end of time that increases interconnectedness, eventually reaching a singularity of infinite complexity in 2012, at which point anything and everything imaginable will occur simultaneously.' Yikes, keep your diary clear for that day then, it's gonna get busy!

**And my favourite of all from a researcher named PATRICK GERYL:
'Got several mails from Australia like this one:

Hi, I’m in Australia , I understand whats going to happen / Can I make a survival place/ community here, advice, I am on your wavelength...
Thanks,
Ron

My answer:
Sorry,
Survival will be higly unlikely in Australia

1. Tidal wave will be 2 km (7,000 feet) high!

Here is the link:
<link to his website where you can buy his book>

His answer:
Hi , thanks for that, we have mountains 2.1-2.2 high,
Would think it was possible? Aboriginals survived!?

My answer:
Mountains can sink. Read my book How to Survive 2012
Also the high mountains are natural parks. You can't build bunkers there or stockpile survival material!
How long do you think you can survive without food, material, etcetera?

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE

Papoua New Guinea had a land bridge with Australia after the cataclysm.
Then the ice melted and the land bridge disappeared.

See Underworld from Graham Hancock
So it is possible that the animals and the aboriginals came from there!

Also, he goes on to say that when the water subsides the new south pole will be in Perth and all Australia will be under polar ice except for Cape York Peninsula. (top up the anti-freeze and pop the snow chains on for Ford Forums Cruise January 13, 2013

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild

Last edited by jamesson1980; 13-03-2010 at 04:14 PM.
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

The rational answer is, it's bollocks.

To any irrational people, I'd be happy to buy up all your assets (couple of thou each) a few days before D-Day so you can live it up prior to the Earth's demise. Just shoot me an email and we'll set it up.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha^^ set up a pawnborkering business right now.. you'll be loaded with all the finest stuff come 2012.. then sell it back and regular price

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
Old 13-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2012 truly will be the end of the world as we know it. Unbelievable things will happen.

1) There will be a 4 cylinder Falcon
2) The Falcon V8 will be quicker than the 6 cylinder

Such mind boggling concepts......whoda thunk..........

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
2012 truly will be the end of the world as we know it. Unbelievable things will happen.

1) There will be a 4 cylinder Falcon
2) The Falcon V8 will be quicker than the 6 cylinder

Such mind boggling concepts......whoda thunk..........

you pessimist
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I did read a story that the oil supplies will run out by 2013, and it was pretty convincing.

Here is the story : http://www.oildecline.com/
Bmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

If the world is to end in December 2012, then awarding Ford Australia
the Global Rear Wheel Drive project next year would be perfect timing....

Short of hell freezing over, that's all I got....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
glavas

theres something happening in 2012 called the galactic alignment look it up. its something to do with all the planets lining up or something like that.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nasa says a galactic allignment can't be predicted to within a year, much less to the exact day. Maybe some are getting confused with planetary allignments which occur twice per year, every year. These aren't actual physical allignments, but just a term used for the moment they appear to line up from Earth. There will be two is 2012, and in 2013 for that matter

Old 13-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #10
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm fascinated with all this stuff. Firstly, let me state that I believe we'll all be here come new years day 2013. But I can’t help but wonder if something big is going to happen in 2012. We're already seeing strange things happen with the weather, energy is getting harder to come by, the US economy has taken a hit....

A name mentioned in the opening post towards the bottom was Graham Hancock. I've just finished reading his book "Fingerprints of the Gods" He visited a lot of the world’s ancient sites in Central and South America, and Egypt, and raised some amazing points. If you thought the great pyramids were pretty unbelievable, read up on them some more. They were built to higher standards than what we can achieve with today’s technology, but no one knows how or why.

The main hypothesis of the book is that human beings haven’t evolved in one linear fashion, from cave men to our current level of technology. Rather, that there existed civilisations in the distant past (think 20,000 years ago) who were as advanced, if not more so, than our current civilisation, who were all but wiped out by some cataclysmic occurance. This is how he explains the construction of the pyramids and many other amazing ancient sites.

Most here probably know about the bibles Noah and his ark, how he saved two of each animals from the great floods blah blah blah... well there are several hundred ancient myths from apparently unrelated races which all talk about great floods, and one guy who was somehow fortunate enough to save himself and a whole bunch of animals or whatever... Seems like a big coincidence.

Hancock puts all this evidence together and comes up with a crazy sounding yet somehow believable theory as to what happened to these ancient civilisations and the evidence of their existence. Long story short: Earth crust displacement, (google it) which saw the surface of the earth move over the core of the earth like an orange peel. According to this theory Antarctica used to be closer to the equator, and was the location of this ancient civilisation. It quickly moved to the polar region and froze over. Other continents (like the Americas) which were covered in ice moved out of the polar regions and all the ice melted, causing the great floods and coinciding with the ice age history we're all somewhat familiar with.

I did a bit more reading online and found some credible seeming evidence which completely discredits this theory. It’s like that with most science: for every smart guy with a theory, there’s another one with an opposing theory. Everyone has to develop their own beliefs based on the evidence at hand. The thing is, no one knows what happened in the past, and no one knows what’s going to happen in 2013 and beyond. That’s why these doomsdayers are so irrational: they think they know for certain, without a shadow of a doubt, that the world is going to end on a particular date. Obviously they can’t and don’t know that. But by the same token, no one knows that it’s not going to end (end as in change dramatically and quickly) either. It’s pretty ignorant for anyone to think our civilization will continue on forever. It can’t; not on this planet anyway. Who’s to say the end isn’t in 2 or 3 years time?

Apologies for the novel masquerading as a post...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
theres something happening in 2012 called the galactic alignment look it up. its something to do with all the planets lining up or something like that.
...and?
Old 13-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #12
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
...and?
re Noah's ark..who was the poor sod who hosted all the STDs , internal parasites etc etc just so they wouldn't be wiped out in the deluge ??

Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
gocruzin
Ford tragic

Originally Posted by glavas

...and?

Pink doughnuts will fall from the sky and cats will start living with dogs. My insurance premiums will go up due to icing damage from said falling doughnuts.
All resulting in a climax of milkshake cravings and higher pet food bills.
Old 13-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The world isn't gonna end, Marty McFly went to 2015 so were all safe!!
Old 13-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #15
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Well from what i heard it will be a change in frequency..... We are currently in the 3rd dimention now, moving into the 4th...

And something about a massive planet that is gunna drift past with whatever effects it will apparently cause to Earth.

Whats more possible are the morons with their nukes, their bombing would create nuclear fallout globally, suffocating and killin everything including themselves...
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #16
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Mercedes may well be on track in 2012 in V8 Supercars thanks to the Car of the future...
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #17
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only definate thing that will happen on that date, a new tax will be invented....
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 12:11 AM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm gonna party like its 199.....2012.

Honestly, I think its all a load of crap, like the large hadron collider in 2008 going to end the earth with a big black hole. My mate didn't do his IT homework because "it was the end of the world tomorrow".

Unfortunately for him, it wasn't.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 02:26 AM   #19
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres a scene in ' The Matrix ' where Agent Smith describes " this world " as being the peak of human civilization.

While thats maybe just a movie reference, I'm somewhat inclined to think in approx. the year 2012, we'll be living at the peak of human civilization. I'm not discounting technological advancements that will naturally come after 2012, 2020, 2050, etc.. including medical discoveries, design & architecture and infrastructure.

I'm more so talking about livability. Considering we're living in a world thats quickly running out of resources, a world suffering from climate change regardless of how or why it's happening, a world with a increasingly volatile political and world stage. War. Enough said. Rapid Immigration. Vast Urban and suburban sprawl. The list goes on and on.

2012 could really be the peak, before the bubble bursts.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Conspiracy theories say that things such as SARS, bird flu, AIDS etc are made by the US Government to help control the earths population, they just haven't succeeded yet.

Makes sense in theory. If the earths population continues to run rampant it will mean not enough resources to go round, and most likely wars fought over food, oil, water etc.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #21
Wally
XP Coupe

It always amazes me how people are prepared to believe some yarns supposedly passed on from flat earth ancestors barely out of the stoneage.

Anyway if you are into sky fairies then the Kolbrin Bible is a must read compendium to the new testament.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #22
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

What will happen in 2012?
What happened 11 years earlier?
What happened 11 years before that?

The answers/events for each of the above have nothing to do with the Balance set in the heavenly bodies, but were influenced purely by our (the human race) own hands.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #23
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

i didnt believe the Y2K hype. i don't believe this either. and im sick of the religious freaks who acost me at castle plaza some days after work. shower!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 12:21 AM   #24
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Everybody knows that we're all going to die when Nibiru/Planet X passes by in 2012.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 12:27 AM   #25
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

i have heard of this "planetary alignment" theory...where all the planets line up at once. its an event so rare, and, as stated above, not easy pinpoint datewise. its more likely that a black hole makes its way to our system than planetary alignment...

(for the record, the nearest black hole is many hundreds of millions of light years away....earth will have been swallowed up by the sun long before it makes it here)
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 01:26 AM   #26
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
i have heard of this "planetary alignment" theory...where all the planets line up at once. its an event so rare, and, as stated above, not easy pinpoint datewise. its more likely that a black hole makes its way to our system than planetary alignment...
I still don't understand what the consequences are of all the planets lining up...? Is it theorised that the combined gravity would affect Earth? (one explaination I had heard) Not sure if I would want to wade through oodles of nutbaggery on websites to find out for certain.

In case it is, the gravitational fluctuation between the perigee and apogee of the moon to the Earth is many magnitudes greater than that of all the planets combined.

I believe the gravitational effect of the moon can fluctuate by ~20(?)% per orbit. Jupiter's gravitational effect is ~1/100th of the moon. The tidal effect is even less.

Quote:
(for the record, the nearest black hole is many hundreds of millions of light years away....earth will have been swallowed up by the sun long before it makes it here)
Hate to alarm you, the nearest black hole we know of is only ~1600 light years away. The milky way is only considered to be ~100,000 light years in diameter. But you're probably still on the money that the sun will consume the Earth well before a black hole can.
Old 15-03-2010, 02:02 AM   #27
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm reasonably sure we are going to be experiencing Ground-hog day probably until at least 2014.

My predictions:
1) Global Economic Crisis to continue as economic stimulus packages in the US and Europe fail - or at least don't perform as intended. Australia should be "ok", however this is dependant on Chinese/Indian reactions.

2) Greenhouse effect-cum-global warming-cum-climate change: No major change, most of the Western world's focus will revert to the economic crisis. Scientific evidence will remain contradictory; all attempts at forming a global consensus on greenhouse gasses will fail as "developing nations" will refuse to commit. ETS scheme if passed in Australia will generally be considered by all to be another tax.

3) Australian Built large car sales continue to slide; rumours abound over the prospects of long term survival; Ford, Holden, Toyota all expected to be self reliant
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #28
Deech
Making smalltorque

My prediction for the apocalypse:

The Government will find some way to apply a tax to it.
When your engine bay catches alight, you try and convince the police that it came that way from the factory. They believe you and leave.
Deech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #29
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Ill be a year older........
Old 15-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #30
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Joke all you want, but when the zombie apocalypse begins I'll be prepared (stocking up on tinned food and shotguns).

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post