Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-01-2006, 08:17 AM   #1
Falcon Freak
Banned

Default Ford bans competitors' vehicles from parking lot

A long overdue requirement. If you ever visit the automotive plants in Japan you will see that the majority of employees drive cars from the manufacturer they work for. Those who don't park their cars in another carpark.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firm's Dearborn Truck Plant will require employees to drive a Ford or park across the street.

By David Ellis, CNNMoney.com staff writer
January 27, 2006: 2:31 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Employees at Ford's Dearborn Truck Plant in Dearborn, Mich., will have to drive Ford Motor Co. vehicles to work or park across the street, the plant manager announced earlier this week.

The new parking policy, which is scheduled to take effect Feb. 1, was instituted by plant manager Rob Webber just as Ford reported losses of $1.6 billion from its North American auto operations in 2005 and Monday announced plans to close 14 plants and cut 30,000 jobs as it tries to reverse losses and respond to declining U.S. market share.

The Dearborn Truck Plant, which represents one portion of the Rouge facility, has 2,600 union employees and makes the F-150 pickup truck, the best selling vehicle in the United States.

A Ford spokesman told CNNMoney the company supported the move, although it had not been extended to the other North American manufacturing facilities.

Officials with UAW Local 600, who backed the announcement, are scheduled to conduct talks with management next week to finalize the details and discuss expanding the ban across the entire Rouge facility, union president Jerry Sullivan told CNNMoney.

"There has to be something put in place to grab people's attention and to make a statement that this is a serious thing," said Sullivan, whose union represents approximately 8,000 workers at the larger Rouge complex. "It's up to us to stand up and do what is right and to drive a vehicle from the company you work for."

The Dearborn Truck Plant parking policy will allow vehicles made by non-U.S. Ford brands such as Mazda, Volvo and Land Rover, Sullivan said.

The Detroit News, which first reported the story Friday, said the new parking policy in Dearborn was embraced by factory employees at a meeting to discuss the auto manufacturer's latest restructuring plan.

But one plant employee, who did not want to be quoted, told the paper he wasn't happy he would no longer be able to drive his Chrysler to the factory.

"They can't tell you how to spend your money," said one veteran tradesman. "It's still a free country." He said he got a better deal on his Chrysler than he could on a Ford.

"I got to go where I can get the most bang for my buck," he said.

Another Dearborn Truck employee told the newspaper he approved the move, though.

"You buy what you build," said Rufus McWilliams. "That only makes sense."

The Detroit Truck Plant opened in 2004 as part of the $2 billion renovation of the company's 1,100-acre Rouge facility, the paper reported.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

FF

Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

hmm odd...i can see both sides but its a pretty radical move it you ask me.

But I guess when you work there you find out every little detail about the car, and thats why not all employees have a Ford.

Its like working at Maccas, you never want to touch the stuff after that.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think on one level that stinks - so much for freedom of choice, land of the free. On another level it is kind of funny!
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if any managers who might drive prestige cars from say, german brands would be given the boot from the factory carpark? Then again, they'd probably get a company car anyway
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didn't Chrysler get themselves in trouble last year with doing this??
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 10:26 AM   #6
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

why not?
It makes sence to me!
GOOD ON FORD!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 10:45 AM   #7
MAD
Petro-sexual

A simple ploy to get people annoyed at the system and quit rather than ford having more headlines about laying off huge numbers of staff.
Old 28-01-2006, 10:49 AM   #8
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

lol at the above....

this would mainly effect the lower end.

Any manger in a car company wuld be silly not to take advantage of some of the deals you can get (novated leasing etc etc)
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 12:51 PM   #9
EL_futuraistic

Well, if it helps the company the sure its a good idea. Sounds like most of the employees and union are in support of it. At the end of the day its your choice what vehicle you buy... but i would have thought working for ford you would get some sort of discount or deal.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 12:57 PM   #10
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is an unwritten rule at the local plants about driving 'imports' onto the sites; security will politely direct you to the car park.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 01:07 PM   #11
GT-E

When I visited the Holden plant in Elizabeth S.A I was suprised to see so many non Holden cars in the Carpark.
I thought it odd that Holden employees would not drive a Holden, but then again it is a Holden after all and they know how well they are built
GT-E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 02:50 PM   #12
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapXR6T
When I visited the Holden plant in Elizabeth S.A I was suprised to see so many non Holden cars in the Carpark.
I thought it odd that Holden employees would not drive a Holden, but then again it is a Holden after all and they know how well they are built
Just like I saw many Holdens and other non-Ford vehicles parked at the Ford carpark in Barry rd Campbellfield when I drove past the other day. It doesn't mean a thing. Most people don't believe in brand loyalty and see their employment there as just a job like any other.

An interesting thing I saw, from the Hume hwy side, a silver VZ Maloo parked not in the carpark, but inside the actual Ford plant alongside the buildings. Wonder what it was doing there??
gmhdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 03:15 PM   #13
martO
meh

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his efforts in creating the monthly Photoshop competitions and advice/tips on how to use Photoshop. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhdriver
An interesting thing I saw, from the Hume hwy side, a silver VZ Maloo parked not in the carpark, but inside the actual Ford plant alongside the buildings. Wonder what it was doing there??
Thats a common thing, ford/fpv hand holden vehicles for them to drive and test, and holden/hsv do the same in return. They were probably testing it to see how it performs.
Old 28-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #14
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Dont mind this at all, but it is a bit worrying when your local Ford dealer's mechanics all drive Holdens.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 03:26 PM   #15
triple8nitro
Alternator

Who cares ?
Only non-ford owners are affected .
Imagine if non-ford owners had to park across the road from major shopping centers .
Old 28-01-2006, 03:48 PM   #16
SUVshopper

One way of supporting the local car industry is to have a company policy whereby leased and company vehicles must be OZ made. There are many auto parts manufacturers here with top management driving imported Japanese and European vehicles and this is definitely not on.
SUVshopper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhdriver
Just like I saw many Holdens and other non-Ford vehicles parked at the Ford carpark in Barry rd Campbellfield when I drove past the other day. It doesn't mean a thing. Most people don't believe in brand loyalty and see their employment there as just a job like any other.

Its generally the contractors and outside suppliers who bring non Ford vehicles on site.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 04:43 PM   #18
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
Dont mind this at all, but it is a bit worrying when your local Ford dealer's mechanics all drive Holdens.
I believe at the local Ford Dealership up the road from me theres a mechanic with a VN Commie.

Like gmhdriver said not alot of people believe in brand loyality when they work at a certain Brand establishment.

Like me, I was suppose to be working as a apprentice mechanic at Subaru but I drive a VL. (Didnt get the job unfortunately)

Last edited by Ryan; 28-01-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 05:54 PM   #19
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Like me, I was suppose to be working as a apprentice mechanic at Subaru but I drive a VL. (Didnt get the job unfortunately)
Now you know why. Go buy a Suby lol

Yeah nobody cares really who they work for. Barely anyone at the Ford dealership I used to work for liked Fords except for me. Nobody at my current place drives a Mazda,Kia or Proton.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 09:03 PM   #20
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJLynx
Now you know why. Go buy a Suby lol
Nah wasnt because of that, just some other things that I dont really feel like getting into.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 11:46 PM   #21
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

the F-150 is best the best selling vehicle is the US?? ИИИИ than why are ford going downhill? maybe the best selling pick-up truck...

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust
After market alpine/soundstream stereo

18" tyhpoons
superlows waiting to go in....
spoilerless
16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 11:55 PM   #22
DTFRMONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVshopper
One way of supporting the local car industry is to have a company policy whereby leased and company vehicles must be OZ made. There are many auto parts manufacturers here with top management driving imported Japanese and European vehicles and this is definitely not on.

I work for a government department where this is already the case. Top management have a car supplied as part of their package, & the list specifies that it must me OZ made (Falcon, Commo, Camry, Magna). In the car pool, the only imports are a few Focus's for short runs.
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 01:02 AM   #23
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16wantsI6
the F-150 is best the best selling vehicle is the US?? ИИИИ than why are ford going downhill? maybe the best selling pick-up truck...
It is the best selling vehicle in the USA. They sell between 750,000 and 950,000 of them per year. Basically, the same amount as the total new car sales for Australia each year.

Ford is going down because despite sales volume, they earn nothing on each car. They have alot straining them, so they can't earn anything on each sale after all their bills are payed. And their credit departments (which were making more money then outright car sales anyway) aren't looking too shabby either.

GM has the same problems, just 2 to 3 times worse.

They could both take a good lesson from Toyota.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 02:41 AM   #24
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

I don't see a problem with them doing that as long as they give them a good discount on a new Ford.
Old 29-01-2006, 10:38 PM   #25
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's silly. I mean, instead of forcing, why don't they give better perks for owning/driving a Ford whilst working there?
To stop people driving what they want is too far IMO, there's more factors than what colour blood you have. Economy (Ford's not good at that), comfort, size, price, etc all play a part in what car people choose to buy.

Just cos somone works at macca's, doesn't mean they have to eat macca's.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 10:59 PM   #26
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its not stopping people from doing or driving what they want, its just making a better self image of the company. And its not like they cant drive thier non-Ford car there, they just have to park elsewhere.

And that guy who got his Chrysler cheaper than he could a employee discounted Ford, then that Chrysler musta been dirt cheap.
Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 06:03 AM   #27
BA_BOSS

What a narrowed mind of s~~t. I work for a company that manufactures mobile phones (different division) but why should I be forced to “buy” their phone if I didn’t like them? They want to give me one to use, no problem.

If I worked for Ford I would expect the same if they believed that I as an employee had to promote brand loyalty.

It’s a similar scenario to that happened to a guy in the US a couple of years back, he worked for a particular brewer and when sprung drinking a different brewer’s brew with his mates in his own time in his choice of bar, was A-holed.

What happened to freedom of choice and your right to spend what you earn on what you want? Sure I own a Ford but I couldn’t give a “rats” what someone else drives and parks in a car park, good luck to em, their choice.

In the case of a car manufacturer, an employee who owned a different brand of car might want to ensure that any good points with that car went into the product they were building.

It’s like saying that someone who works for a tobacco company must smoke to promote their company or in Ford’s case, drive a Ford or be ostracised? WTF?
BA_BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 05:32 PM   #28
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Wonder how many Magnas/380s you see parked in Mitsubushi's employee car park......snark, snark , snark
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 07:01 PM   #29
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

haha good about time

australia should just ban vn's
Tiapan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 09:01 PM   #30
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapXR6T
Thats why they offered the Australian public staff discounts... cause even their staff weren't buying them!!!

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post