Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-06-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

Default It's all about the cubic inches!

Fit this into your mini....

Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Unreal thats all I can say.

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

displacement of 25,480 liters :
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #4
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Truly amazing, I think it is the same place in Korea where there was a 60 minutes report on a ship building yard there.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 10:06 PM   #5
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You could just strap down about 8 torana drag cars... lol - funny... looks like a normal engine with tiny people crawling all over it. Kool find.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 10:08 PM   #6
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

i was waiting for that link to be posted this week . lol it is every other
Old 17-06-2006, 11:34 PM   #7
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty damn impressive, seeing our little engine technology on a much, MUCH larger scale
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 11:40 PM   #8
Jet-Star

:
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 11:51 PM   #9
Falcon Freak
Banned

Impressive. Interesting to note that the engine speed range is from 92 to 102 RPM. The website implies that the engine was built in Japan. But the writing in the second from last picture is clearly Korean and Chinese.

More information about this engine with metric units

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 01:32 AM   #10
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

I think you will find that the majority of machinery eg Mistubishi main engines, boilers and purifiers, Daihatsu alternators etc etc will all be made in Korea but under license from owners in japan.

The standard procedure for main engine manufacture/installation is to manufacture & assemble locally, put it onto a very large barge and then then float it across the bay to the ship being built and then crane it into position. you simply would never ever think of making something this big and then exporting it from japan to Korea.

At any rate, the majority of ships that I have sailed on have all been made in Japan, however, most of the new ones are mainly made in Korea. This is also very much the case for most new FPSO vessels. Even Modec, worlds largest FPSO owner/ builder/operator which is Japanese owned, makes most of their FPSO's in Korea as well.

Paul
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 10:05 AM   #11
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats one crazy motor, hows the power specs on the 14cyl version.

108,920hp@102rpm

5,608,312lb/ft@102rpm. :
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 10:17 AM   #12
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowride260
Thats one crazy motor, hows the power specs on the 14cyl version.

108,920hp@102rpm

5,608,312lb/ft@102rpm. :
I wanna see the dyno they used :nutsycuck
xagsjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 10:50 AM   #13
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Imagine the size of the turbo they use.....
Old 18-06-2006, 10:52 AM   #14
AUIIIXR8
Formerly AU2XLSV8

I move to say that all threads answered with REPOST require a link to the original.

Reposts or not I haven't seen it! Awesome. Just gotta get a truck big enough. I'd actually need 2 of these engines one for the truck and one for the fuel tanker to import the fuel for it.

Sorry Jesse06. Not picking on you.

Past
EL 6 S/C - sold
AUII XLS V8 Stroker - sold
99' Laser (runabout) - sold
BA Fairmont - sold
AU III XR8 220 - sold (so should have kept this one)
AU III XLS Tickford 6 - sold

Formerly AU2XLSV8
AUIIIXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 11:16 AM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2XLSV8
I move to say that all threads answered with REPOST require a link to the original.

Reposts or not I haven't seen it! Awesome. Just gotta get a truck big enough. I'd actually need 2 of these engines one for the truck and one for the fuel tanker to import the fuel for it.

Sorry Jesse06. Not picking on you.
I agree.

And phooooar! That is unbelievable!

But is it Euro3 compliant?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 02:58 PM   #16
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Wonder what MPG it gets.. :P

You think WE have an issue with fuel prices!!!
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 03:00 PM   #17
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse06
:
perhaps it is, but how about finding the link to where it was previously posted......
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 03:29 PM   #18
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

I think fuel comsumption would be in the vicinity of 60 to 100 tonnes of Heavy Fuel Oil per day @ MCR (maximum continuous rating).

Paul
Old 18-06-2006, 03:39 PM   #19
XR666T

GOOD GOD that's insane!
XR666T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 05:09 PM   #20
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Holy crap!!!, they make the inline falcon 6 look like a match stick engine!!
Old 18-06-2006, 10:17 PM   #21
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holy Jebus.

That is all.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 10:22 PM   #22
nick81xd

haha I6 built by ompa lompas lol
nick81xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 01:22 AM   #23
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

That'd fit in a Mini surely, just lengthen the bonnet a little...
Old 19-06-2006, 07:32 PM   #24
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jeeezuz! Have a look at the crankshaft and the journals... Ha ha ha ha.. I'm inlove.

Surely though, a dirty great deisel like that couldn't be anywhere near as efficient and economical as a gas turbine or steam turbine engine....
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #25
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokkas
Jeeezuz! Have a look at the crankshaft and the journals... Ha ha ha ha.. I'm inlove.

Surely though, a dirty great deisel like that couldn't be anywhere near as efficient and economical as a gas turbine or steam turbine engine....
Your quite wrong on that one. Gas turbines produce a huge amount of energy from a small (physically speaking) unit. However, they burn fuel like no other. Their mechanical efficiency is quite good however their thermodynamic efficiency is absolute crap as all of the heat goes straight out the exhaust.

With respect to steam turbines, you now need to factor in the boilers into the equation. Once again, poor thermodynamic efficiency, hence the useage of Bled steam, exhaust gas economisers, condenser pre-heating etc. Typical power stations will also expand the steam through out the HP, MP and LP turbines, thus increasing efficiency.

However, none of the above come near the thermodynamic efficieny (and thus overall efficiency) of a large Slow Speed diesel engine, hence their popular usage on nearly all merchant ships. Don't forget that warm through times are greatly shortened on motor ships as compared to steam ships. Your workforce also does need to be as skilled as well.

An example of consumption: The last motor ship that I was on produced 16,000 kilowatt and burned 64 tonne of heavy fuel oil per 24 hours at MCR. Whereas on the gas ships (Karratha to Japan), produce 17,000 kilowatts and burn 140 tonne of gas (they burn the cargo) per 24 hours.

Paul
Old 19-06-2006, 10:28 PM   #26
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers for the info Paul.

I would have thought these days in such large applications, that thermal energy loss in a turbine engine would be less than energy losses in an internal combustion engine. But obviously not.

You sound like you know a thing or two in this area. :

James.
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 10:36 PM   #27
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull
Your quite wrong on that one. Gas turbines produce a huge amount of energy from a small (physically speaking) unit. However, they burn fuel like no other. Their mechanical efficiency is quite good however their thermodynamic efficiency is absolute crap as all of the heat goes straight out the exhaust.

With respect to steam turbines, you now need to factor in the boilers into the equation. Once again, poor thermodynamic efficiency, hence the useage of Bled steam, exhaust gas economisers, condenser pre-heating etc. Typical power stations will also expand the steam through out the HP, MP and LP turbines, thus increasing efficiency.

However, none of the above come near the thermodynamic efficieny (and thus overall efficiency) of a large Slow Speed diesel engine, hence their popular usage on nearly all merchant ships. Don't forget that warm through times are greatly shortened on motor ships as compared to steam ships. Your workforce also does need to be as skilled as well.

An example of consumption: The last motor ship that I was on produced 16,000 kilowatt and burned 64 tonne of heavy fuel oil per 24 hours at MCR. Whereas on the gas ships (Karratha to Japan), produce 17,000 kilowatts and burn 140 tonne of gas (they burn the cargo) per 24 hours.

Paul

I use to live up in Karratha (was involved in propate/butane tanks on Burrup), very intresting ships @ woodside.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 10:59 PM   #28
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokkas
Cheers for the info Paul.

I would have thought these days in such large applications, that thermal energy loss in a turbine engine would be less than energy losses in an internal combustion engine. But obviously not.

You sound like you know a thing or two in this area. :

James.
James,
Yes, turbines are very good in respect to continous motion, as compared to reciporacating engines. However, as mentioned above, it is the boilers that not only lose heat like nothing else, but it is also the heat transfer. That is, the method of converting the energy from the fuel to that of the water/steam. This is where you lose big time as compared to the energy conversion from igniting the fuel oil in a slow speed diesel engine combsution chamber.

Don't forget that these slow speeds have their fuel heated to 130 degrees celcius and have very good timing systems as to the commencement of injection and completion of injection. So much so that you get a very good flame front and thus, a good clean burn and hence good energy conversion to the piston.

Yes, recips are crap at mechanical losses - stopping every cycle, but it is the overall efficiency that counts. Another way of looking at it is that there are probably less than 100 merchant ships using steam propulsion as against 10's of thousands using diesel engines around the world.

When it comes to large Naval vessels as well land base power stations, this is where steam well and truly comes into its own. Obviously, nuclear energy is all steam based as well.

Paul
Old 20-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #29
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You see, I sent my RB30E over and they stroked it for me. :
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 07:03 PM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVO_XR6
Holy crap!!!, they make the inline falcon 6 look like a match stick engine!!
But still it's an inline engine!!
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post