Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-08-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 
Default 130 cars impounded in hoon blitz

I thought that people might be interested to see how this new program is going:

Quote:
August 17, 2006 09:01am
Article from: AAP

VICTORIA Police said it has impounded 130 cars belonging to drag-racers and other hoons since new legislation was introduced last month.

Among those caught were a 22-year-old speedster travelling at 180km/h in a 100-zone, and a P-plater nabbed twice in three weeks for doing burnouts and high-speed "fishtailing", police said.

Police have the power to impound vehicles for up to 48 hours under new anti-hoon laws introduced on July 1.

Of the 130 cars seized, more than half (80) were driven by probationary drivers, and most of the drivers were caught for speeding offences.

Some cars were impounded more than once.

This week, an 18-year-old P-plater, whose driver's licence was suspended, was nabbed for allegedly performing a six-metre burnout in the impoundment warehouse - when retrieving his car.

The car had earlier been seized for hoon offences committed by a friend.

The 18-year-old will face court on driving offences.

Police Assistant Commissioner (Traffic) Noel Ashby said the number of impoundments showed some drivers lacked maturity and commonsense.

"There have been a number of offences detected by police which demonstrate to us that some drivers have a complete disregard for the safety of others and for the law," he said.

"Many of these drivers simply lack maturity and commonsense."

One 20-year-old repeat offender from Seabrook was caught doing a burnout in suburban Altona on July 22 in another person's car.

The car was impounded and, three weeks later, the same man was allegedly caught fishtailing and speeding at 130km/h in a 60-zone at Werribee.

Other vehicles impounded included those of a driver and motorcyclist caught racing at speeds of up to 140km/h in a 70-zone at Dandenong.

Assistant Commissioner Ashby said hoon-related offences were extremely dangerous.

"Most drivers have been detected excessively speeding and police are pleased with the ability to swiftly remove these drivers from Victorian roads," he said.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 09:31 AM   #2
BJ
Banned

Quote:
This week, an 18-year-old P-plater, whose driver's licence was suspended, was nabbed for allegedly performing a six-metre burnout in the impoundment warehouse - when retrieving his car.
You just have to love this dickkhead don't you. All i can say good job. And i also like the comen thread through the whole thing. Bj
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #3
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

People do strange things. It reminded me of the Statesman driver getting done for doing a burnout right in front of Knox (Vic) police station.

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Old 17-08-2006, 09:38 AM   #4
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the more off the road the better i say...
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 09:39 AM   #5
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

do you actually lose your license on the spot... or just lose points (if you havn't got any points to your name) when you are 'hooning' ?
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 09:57 AM   #6
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The article mentions 5 people who probably deserve to be caught. I would be interested to see the other 125 offences. Not that I believe that the police would unnecessarily use their new powers.
Regards,
Tote
Old 17-08-2006, 10:00 AM   #7
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:

BAHAHJAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHQH!HH!HHHAHAHAHAHAHA ALOLOHJASHGHASGAG!!~~!!!!!!!!
Old 17-08-2006, 10:02 AM   #8
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

HAHAHA thats gold.

While there is the odd cop that goes overboard (usually because some punk is being a twat earlier on in the day), police DO NOT pull you over willy nilly. If you do, its usually because your car might look like its defectable (ie - ride height whatever).

It would be safe to say that 99.9% of them deserved it. No law is going to be completely fair or interpreted correctly everytime.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 10:03 AM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
You just have to love this dickkhead don't you. All i can say good job. And i also like the comen thread through the whole thing. Bj
Unbelievable is all i can say.. these idiots make it hard for genuine law abiding musclecar enthusiasts to be able to enjoy their cars too.

Yes... i noticed the "youth" flavour of the article....

Im waiting for all the "age bias" hate mail...

Old 17-08-2006, 10:07 AM   #10
BJ
Banned

Yeah, and the other thing i find funny when i was ready some of the reports, was what area's the are mainly from. Bj
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 10:12 AM   #11
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Fantastic. 130 drivers who might think twice next time!!! Not likely.... but that'll always be the dream.

Its people like this that have made me walk away from the car modification scene. There's just no hope of being taken seriously anymore.

Full points (d**ckhead points) for bagging it up in the impound lot.
Old 17-08-2006, 10:15 AM   #12
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

there's still alot that still bag them up... guess if you get caught it's cause you didn't look out for the cops ... lol
Old 17-08-2006, 10:19 AM   #13
robbo_23

hoons = t3h gh3y

Im pretty much safe from doing burnouts though, because im quite sure the EA doesnt have enough power to spin the wheels hahahaa.
robbo_23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 10:43 AM   #14
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
The article mentions 5 people who probably deserve to be caught. I would be interested to see the other 125 offences. Not that I believe that the police would unnecessarily use their new powers.
Regards,
Tote
Exactly most were probable not hooning anyway.

Yesterday I saw two 'near misses' that were caused by Negligent drivers.
Both were elderly and not hooning....

But don't start me on this hooning BS.. :
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #15
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

yes... we all know that the elderly are the ones hooning (eg: 70y.r and older :P)

/joke
Old 17-08-2006, 11:36 AM   #16
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I would like to know the stats but apparently a few of these vehicles driven belonged to the parents of the drivers.
Old 17-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #17
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Its people like this that have made me walk away from the car modification scene. There's just no hope of being taken seriously anymore.
Car mod scene? In Australia? What can you do to your car these days? You need an engineers cert to do anything to your vehicle these days, even putting gauges on your bonnet....

Soon enough, you'll need a cert for mag wheels or lowering....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 12:26 PM   #18
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Exactly most were probable not hooning anyway.

Yesterday I saw two 'near misses' that were caused by Negligent drivers.
Both were elderly and not hooning....

But don't start me on this hooning BS.. :
Coming home from the shops in Balwyn (a lot of elderly people) a lady in her late 50's early 60's driving a range rover almost ploughed into the side of my as she tried to get into the petrol station, I blasted my air horns at her and all she did was wave :jab:
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 12:27 PM   #19
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think the youngins are starting to get the message i havn't seen dandenong rd (princes hwy) so quiet i had a far bit of drivin to do in the area over the weekend and i think i saw 5 cars that looked like they where on the way for a drag somewhere normally would see about 60 to 80 cars over a 2 hour period

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

82XD393.3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #20
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

That legislation has been here in sa for a while. Impounding indefinately for "hoon" behaviour. too bad thay haven't done a blitz yet. might make my drive to work safer not having to dodge idiots

https://****boxrally2015.everydayher.../martini-rally

Ford Courier XLT Crew Cab, 160rwkW+ AUII Forte Family Sedan is now the Race Car!!!
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 12:54 PM   #21
Ringo
I see you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
I would like to know the stats but apparently a few of these vehicles driven belonged to the parents of the drivers.
Unconfirmed but I heard on the radio the other morning that one of the drivers (who's car was impounded for hoon behaviour) was actually driving his mum's HSV.

Kid flipped out and had a panic attack when told the car was going to be impounded...bwah ha ha ha. "what do I tell me mum?" bwaha ha

Hoon laws will be responsible for keeping my d--khead, commywhore loving, burnout champion and self proclaimed 'greatest driver that ever lived - sucka' off the public roads you and I share.... Already lost his license once for accumulated points.. car has been given 3 canaries for various things (TOG know their RW laws and VN Commdores!!) .... What makes me laugh is that he believes he is being picked on by Frankston Traffic Cops.......yep that right - he thinks he is the victim. Can't wait for him to be done for hooning....its just gotta happen soon.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 01:03 PM   #22
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Good job I say - as long as they are nabbing them for the right reasons.

No need to speed 45klms over speed limit - maybe people will think twice now before speeding..........

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #23
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Do this not then identify a problem here??? Lack of places to do this stuff legally????

If there was 130 cars nabbed in this one area, why not put some sort of track close by...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #24
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Do this not then identify a problem here??? Lack of places to do this stuff legally????

If there was 130 cars nabbed in this one area, why not put some sort of track close by...
I tell you what, if i was a millionare it would be a fool proof investment, a driving complex! Insurance would be a killer but if its in the right spot enough people would be keen to go.

ah...pipe dreams....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 01:49 PM   #25
Dauphin
Irregular member

I've had an idea for a while - buy a large-ish block of land up the country with some business partners from this forum, make it into small race track, build some good fencing barriers, setup a little hot food stand, etc. Charge people to come and race on it for 30 mins a session or something. Is it just plain too difficult? ould I need to hire ambulance, get various regulatory things checked and all that?

Did anyone see the Top gear episode where they raced some crappy old cars around a farm land with hay in the middle? It looked like so much fun.

Old 17-08-2006, 01:51 PM   #26
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think they are harsh enough...

That absoluate moron doing 180km/h in a 100 zone has shown they haven't got the sense of responsibility nor mental capacity to stick to the speed limit. Therefore, sell his car, give him only half of what it fetches, and put the other half into a fund to help the families of those killed by moronic hoons like them.

I am a harsh *****, but unfortunately, people are so bloody stupid, we have to protect them from themselves, as well as protect others from them.

Give them all a Datsun 120Y, and make them see that driving can be a bloody chore, but a privilege...not a damn right!
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 01:53 PM   #27
Dauphin
Irregular member

Ohh, Polyal, sounds like we have an idea!!

Old 17-08-2006, 02:02 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious, VicPol spokesman
The 18-year-old will face court on driving offences.

Police Assistant Commissioner (Traffic) Noel Ashby said the number of impoundments showed some drivers lacked maturity and commonsense.
Young people showing immaturity......
Young people showing a lack of common sense.....

Shocking.

When I was 18 I was the cleverest maturest smartest person in the world and everyone over 30 were boring old farts whose mission in life was to stop me having fun. They had no idea how to drive and constantly hassled me for hanging around down town, doing little burnouts to impress my mates and doing lappies to check out the chicks.

Of course that is all different now isn't it, people over 30 are normal sensible caring mature humans and 18 year olds are immature hoons.......

Young people are young people and will always be the same. It is part of life and we should just get used to it......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #29
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

its always been a dream of mine to open a public burnout pad lol $20 car entrant kebab van lots of seats would be awesome lol
30 year olds are usually more mature drivers because a) theyve learnt their lesson from 'hooning' or b) they were never hoons in the first place.

i know of p plate drivers which drive very maturely on roads and i know idiots. the idiots will learn and the mature drivers will laugh

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 05:00 PM   #30
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

There has been 146 cars confiscated in Townsville alone so far this year for hooning.The best one I saw was a kid in a early Commondoor do a burnout at the lights while attempting a U turn ( U turns are leagal up here) he lost control and smashed into a parked KIA..I saw the cops loading him into a cop car on my back.Silly bugar.