Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-08-2006, 10:59 AM   #1
max
LWBforME

Default The way some people park!!!!

I should have taken a photo, never mind. But I was incredulous when I saw this newish Honda mid-sized 4x4 parked in a parallel parking place but it was left so that it was at an angle of about 20° to the white delineating lines. So that opposite front and back chunky bumpers were actually encroaching into the spaces on the left and right of this vehicle. I had to use the space to the left of this Honda and my driver's door ends up so that its near the bumper of the Honda, therefore not much opening space. What is it with some people? I have seen this quite frequently lately and it often seems to be with 4x4 type cars or 'people-movers'. Are people getting out of their depth with the type of vehicles they're getting around in? When I sat for my license eons ago, the parking tests were quite stringent. I'm not happy unless I leave a car park having aligned and centred it properly, back, front and both sides. Call me obsessive compulsive......

max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 11:03 AM   #2
gozza

They only test parallel parking behind one car...Not between two...I think that was the only parking i got tested on
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Taxi drivers are constantly doing this... especially at Melbourne Airport, they just drive into the drop off lane, and leave there A##e end hanging out into the lane, blocking traffic...
And then when they are finished dropping someone off, they'll pull out without looking across two lanes...
I've had quite a few close calls with taxi drivers at the airport... its scary that these people do this for a living.

They should make parking a more important part of gaining your drivers licence...

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #4
c4ple7on
dem bun up bun up!

thats a bit harder... i found a parking spot in a shopping cntr and when to pull in and some faulty toyota crown was pretty much parked over both spots! Just rude and inconciderate!

so i ended up taking wat was left of the park only to have the @$$ of the fairlane stickin out onto the road.
c4ple7on is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 11:34 AM   #5
Twisted
Contributing Member

When I used to catch the train to work from another station I used to park at the opposite end of the adjacent shopping centre, right up the back as far from any other cars as possible. I have never seen this car park totally full. A lady in a beat up green Camry used to park next to me EVERY day even though I was so far away from any other cars and out in the middle of nowhere. She used to park ridiculously close all the time. One day she was that close that I actually had to climb in my passenger side and scoot across so that I could drive my car away. It used to frustrate the hell out of me. Some people are just messed up I guess.

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
FordForums.com.au
Hats, Stickers & Patches are now available!
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 04:29 PM   #6
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Put a bullbar on your car people tend to park away from you.
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 06:12 PM   #7
JD2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDaaron
Put a bullbar on your car people tend to park away from you.
Love the thought of it...

Can you imagine a bullbar on a 2005 Fiesta Zetec?? :hihi: yeah its ok i had to leave for the toilet aswell
Old 29-08-2006, 06:22 PM   #8
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

I must admit i am guilty of taking 2 bays in the shop parks. But it is always right up the back where no-one parks. (Except for the little old lady in a Green Camry )

I dont trust anyone not to hit my car so I park Diagonal across the lines in 2 bays.
When I have to park elsewhere I try and pick a spot next to a nice good looking car and always write down the regos of the cars around and check for knocks when I get back.

It is amazing how you can park as far away as you can in a deserted area, and when you get back there is a car next to you. And you stand there wondering how they got out of their door because they are so close. Oh well fingers crossed, knock on wood, no dings yet

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 08:01 PM   #9
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Parking like described is nothing new in the local supermarket here.

It just shows that the driver doesn't take any care in their driving, and that they shouldnt be driving.

Another thing are those FWD's (and others) that insist of having to reverse into their space. When it comes to loading their groceries after shopping, as they cant open the door at the back, they then open the rear side door to load the groceries onto the back seat. Invariably the door and/or the trolley then bumps the car next to them.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 08:04 PM   #10
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Its almost owrse if you park in the Disabled spots. My mother is sick of big 4WD parking there and damaging her car.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 08:20 PM   #11
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83
I must admit i am guilty of taking 2 bays in the shop parks. But it is always right up the back where no-one parks. (Except for the little old lady in a Green Camry )

I dont trust anyone not to hit my car so I park Diagonal across the lines in 2 bays.
When I have to park elsewhere I try and pick a spot next to a nice good looking car and always write down the regos of the cars around and check for knocks when I get back.

It is amazing how you can park as far away as you can in a deserted area, and when you get back there is a car next to you. And you stand there wondering how they got out of their door because they are so close. Oh well fingers crossed, knock on wood, no dings yet
I thought I was the only one who did this. Good to see that I am not alone.

I don't trust anybody so I don't want anybody parking next to my car. I have also experienced the incredulous experience where my car was parked at the back of the shopping center and found that somebody had parked right next to my car even though there were dozens of empty parking spaces in the immediate vicinity. It left me speechless.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 08:31 PM   #12
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
I have also experienced the incredulous experience where my car was parked at the back of the shopping center and found that somebody had parked right next to my car even though there were dozens of empty parking spaces in the immediate vicinity. It left me speechless.FF
Yes, that happens to me also sometimes, when I park right at the back of the carpark. I feel like letting their tyres down.
Old 29-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #13
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To those who don't trust others to park next to them, remember - nobody trusts you to park next to their car either... But everyone has to park, and the majority of drivers don't want you any closer to them than you want them to you. (that sentence made my head hurt :P)

If everyone learnt how to park, this problem would be solved. Until that happens we'll have people who don't know how to park between two lines, and people who choose not to be able to park between two lines - in packed and busy shopping centres, both make headaches for those of us who know how to park.

It's fine on a tuesday night at 8pm when the only other cars around are the security cars, but in that case, it'd be odd to find two cars right next to each other anyway because the car park is empty. But on a saturday or sunday when car parks are at a premium, the closest car park could be in the next suburb... Maybe they should put up signs, "If you can't park, don't shop". Hrmm, that's a good phrase. Should run for Mayor.

The biggest problem is the flow on effect. One car parks to close to the white line, causing the next car to do the same and so on - just because one person couldn't park straight, everyone else is screwed :( And you can't blame the car you see, because they might not have been the car that started it... Bah, now I know why they're saying Car Park Rage is overtaking Road Rage. Always take an extra two seconds and breath and a calm parker is a good parker :P

Last edited by Deadman; 29-08-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #14
Jet-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
They only test parallel parking behind one car...Not between two...I think that was the only parking i got tested on
For my test they made me reverse parrelle park on a hill inbetween 2 cars out the front of the local high school while lunch break was on.. Top that lol.

I see people parking like mad men around here all the time, as long as they don't box me in or leave a mark I'll let them live ;)
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 10:15 PM   #15
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia

Another thing are those FWD's (and others) that insist of having to reverse into their space. When it comes to loading their groceries after shopping, as they cant open the door at the back, they then open the rear side door to load the groceries onto the back seat. Invariably the door and/or the trolley then bumps the car next to them.
Now what is wrong with reversing into a park, it enables you to see clearly the idiots reversing out of their spots without looking and saving you the damage and inconvenience.

I never park nose in and never will

That said I also park at the far corner of a shopping centre, or if it is busy parallel park outside the centre, unless I am in the GT then it is a case of dropping Denise off and I leave the carpark untill she rings me to pick her up. No way is that car being parked within cooee of any shopping centre.
Old 30-08-2006, 07:28 AM   #16
HOON69
Banned

only yesterday i had a ford explorer parked so sideways that i had to do a 3 point to get out,funny thing was his missus sat there looked at us smirked and kept reading her stupid magazine.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 07:32 AM   #17
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
Now what is wrong with reversing into a park, it enables you to see clearly the idiots reversing out of their spots without looking and saving you the damage and inconvenience.

I never park nose in and never will
I'm sure that you ensure you dont damage the car next to you when you load up your car with the shopping.

But it seems the vast majority don't care about the car parked next to them.

The probability of damage to the car alongside increases significantly, when one opens a side door to load groceries.
Old 30-08-2006, 08:55 AM   #18
classicute

Quote:

Surely you're not serious???
classicute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 06:18 PM   #19
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

i take up 2 parks at work. (supermarket bottle shop) and under the light, if people cant find a car park there, they have a serious problem...
or if thats taken, i park in the loading bay...
when i go into a shopping centre, i still take up 2 parks, why should someone elses incompetance cost me?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 07:04 PM   #20
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

It annoys me when you see an empty park between 2 four wheel drives and

a) it is too small to fit because of lack of parking skill

or

b) there is one of those stupid little vespa scooters there, waste of a perfectly good parking space...

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #21
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

I know there r some shocking parkers out there but is it me or are the parking bays getting smaller?

Cheers Mark
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 09:10 PM   #22
rmoody100
Starter Motor

Quote:

Those with the nicest looking cars may be the worst drivers??

Just because you have some really nice car doesn't mean that you have any more rights than anyone else. Everyone fears dings in the carpark even if their car is a bomb (I've been there - a side mirror or blinker cover on an old car still needs to get replaced regardless of the cars condition).

If you are that worried buy yourself a cheap runnaround to go to the supermarket in - something that you don't care to much about if it does get dinged.
rmoody100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 09:20 PM   #23
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RspecAU
I know there r some shocking parkers out there but is it me or are the parking bays getting smaller?

Cheers Mark
The parking spaces are definately getting narrower. Across the road from work theres a RangeRover dealership and angle parking on the road for their mechanics are so narrow that their 4WD's ,and even smaller cars, parked next to eachother within the lines, they cant get out of their cars. Thats why each takes about 1-1/4 spaces which defeats the purpose of making the parks narrower in the first place. Absolutely ridiculous.

At the local shopping centre you can see the old lines emerging which are substantially wider than the new lines. This is how the council makes more car spaces, to the detriment of the parked cars that end up with dings in the doors. Also ridiculous.

I always try to find a space at the end of the row, when I really have to park there. Normally I take my wifes Lancer which is narrower, and avoid parking the Ghia there altogether.
Old 30-08-2006, 10:14 PM   #24
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RspecAU

Cheers Mark
don't knock it it is good for business

Paintless dent repairs is a growing business

Mind you if i have to work on my own car someone is going to die
Old 30-08-2006, 10:17 PM   #25
OZFORDAU
Banned

Default Same...

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
I should have taken a photo, never mind. But I was incredulous when I saw this newish Honda mid-sized 4x4 parked in a parallel parking place but it was left so that it was at an angle of about 20° to the white delineating lines. So that opposite front and back chunky bumpers were actually encroaching into the spaces on the left and right of this vehicle. I had to use the space to the left of this Honda and my driver's door ends up so that its near the bumper of the Honda, therefore not much opening space. What is it with some people? I have seen this quite frequently lately and it often seems to be with 4x4 type cars or 'people-movers'. Are people getting out of their depth with the type of vehicles they're getting around in? When I sat for my license eons ago, the parking tests were quite stringent. I'm not happy unless I leave a car park having aligned and centred it properly, back, front and both sides. Call me obsessive compulsive......
I only leave a park if my car is centerd as well.....That's all sides alround!

Cheers

Simon
OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #26
XR-ENVI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i always make sure what ever car i am in (and the envi rarely parks in car parks) that when i go to supermarkets etc i never park behind a car that has driven right through or backed into a car park because they may have to get to their boot with a trolley. WHen the envi goes ina car park it goes right at the back and yes of course peole seem to park next to it, at a couple of supermarkets nearby there happens to be a couple of wider car parks so i take one of them and also pakr next to a kerb. I dont park in two car parks cos some smart **** will deicide they can try and squeeze in
I was in Seoul in South Korea earlier this year and they parked everywhere and anywhere, we went to a river park and in the car park people were parked behind and infront of other cars and they had a little pillow thing on their dash with their mobile number so if somene parks in your way you can call them to move their car!!!! interesting system but vertially every car had a dent or a scratch on it!!
XR-ENVI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 12:31 PM   #27
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Eheheheh if you want to see bad parking Visit your local University. Lucky i have reserved parking away from the other people.
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 12:41 PM   #28
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_c
Eheheheh if you want to see bad parking Visit your local University. Lucky i have reserved parking away from the other people.
Precisely the reason i catch the bus to uni and the Pursuit 250 sits comfortably at home.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #29
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

I park on a RAAF base and one day I had my car hit by a bus on base and I was the only car in the car park and the bus parked next to me.

Parking next to a curb is best because you only get on car next to you not 2 halving the chance of getting door kissed.
Old 31-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #30
BlackLS

At work I try to get the single space between the wall and the pillar.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post