Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
LTDmonger

Default Ford Flagship...

Ok, I'm a LWB RWD fan.
I'm still bitter after Ford's axing of the LWB series in 07.
With the 'one Ford philosophy' what is the 'top notch' Ford sedan that one can aspire to own?
Lincoln?...check out the line-up. Krill grilled dressed up Turusses and SUV's...SUV-AWD= uncool.
GM.Chrysler all have rwd platforms...the Mustang!
People,stop getting starry eyed about pics of a car that nobody know's what looks like!
Does anyone share my confusion?
And yes, I have owned many a Falcon/Fairlane/LTD
I may be young but my first new car purchase was a AU Forte police pak in 98.

LTDmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Default Re: Ford Flagship...

Ford won't have a 'flagship' as such anymore, as previously was the LTD.
It will have a new hero car in the new Mustang GT500.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No flagship is a bit of a shame really, and a dumb move imo, having a flagship with your company badge on it to me adds a bit of prestige to the company, look at toyota, it spent big on lexus back in 1990 and onwards, and now many of the lesser models are associated with lexus quality.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

In the US Ford is putting most of its marketing might behind the Fusion. The Crown Victoria died in 2011. By that point it was nothing like a flagship, but it was Ford's biggest car.

The closest thing to a replacement for it is the Taurus, with the tp model being the SHO. But Ford doesn't really push the Taurus, probably due to fuel economy concerns.

And Lincoln is pushing the all-new MKZ, which is a midsize car that shares a chassis (and little else) with the Fusion, instead of the full-size MKS (which shares a chassis with the Taurus).

Most manufacturers in the US are pushing fuel efficiency and technology now, not sprawling luxury. (And of course the F Series is still Ford's best seller.)
Old 22-07-2013, 01:52 AM   #5
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was nice to have a 'flagship' model in the lineup but it didn't sell (and had terrible resale) so it got canned.
Luckily for people like me that wanted a second hand one!
Old 22-07-2013, 01:55 AM   #6
Bobman
Regulator

Just bought my first ever LWB Ford (last of the series Fairlane) and will enjoy it for years to come.

Also a pity that we don't have any more Fairlane/LTD models, but I always thought the flagship was/is now the G6ET, post-2008.

The other option is to jump to the BMW 5/7 series as next best thing in my mind.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #7
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

20 years ago you had to decide if you wanted comfort, performance, economy, off-road ability, or towing capability. If you chose one, you would sacrifice all others. Those days are gone, and that's probably why the species that excel in only one of those areas have been chosen for extinction by natural selection.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #8
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
Just bought my first ever LWB Ford (last of the series Fairlane) and will enjoy it for years to come.

Also a pity that we don't have any more Fairlane/LTD models, but I always thought the flagship was/is now the G6ET, post-2008.

The other option is to jump to the BMW 5/7 series as next best thing in my mind.
AU lane I didn't like,
BA I didn't want after having an XR6
S class not what I wanted style wise
7 series got the nod. Highest level of class, very long wheel base, V8, flagship of BMW in the 90's.
it's a pity the fairlane struggled to sell, it was such a nice car(even though the styling was never to my taste) and I'd have considered one if it weren't for the BMW being so so good.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #9
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Phht...the last good Fairlane was the ZH...

Flame suit fitted...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

According to another thread its the mondeo it apprently replaces the Falcon in every way

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

2011G6E: I'd almost be inclined to agree except maybe the fairlane modeled off the EL. I thought that was a classy car.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

When I was in Australia I looked everywhere I could for books on Australian Fords. All I've really been able to find is Falcon GT stuff. I couldn't find anything at all about Fairlanes. They don't seem to be documented very well.

Someone should write a comprehensive history of Ford of Australia. I've got a grat book about Ford of Britain, but of course it was written after Dagenham closed.
Old 22-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
No flagship is a bit of a shame really, and a dumb move imo, having a flagship with your company badge on it to me adds a bit of prestige to the company, look at toyota, it spent big on lexus back in 1990 and onwards, and now many of the lesser models are associated with lexus quality.
Hrrm, previously it was the LTD that did this but I guess as buyers moved away from full size sedans they had to look at something else.

I guess you could say the G6ET and the Territory Titanium are the flagships but only in terms of being the range toppers of that particular model line.

They should have done an LTD Territory and tapped into that booming luxury SUV market.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
bobwm

I would have thought that at some point the FPV GT-E would have been it for Ford Australia.

Especially since it seems that's what the top execs at Ford Aus were driving...
bobwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Hrrm, previously it was the LTD that did this but I guess as buyers moved away from full size sedans they had to look at something else.

I guess you could say the G6ET and the Territory Titanium are the flagships but only in terms of being the range toppers of that particular model line.

They should have done an LTD Territory and tapped into that booming luxury SUV market.
Taking nothing away from the high spec falcon /FPV models, but I reckon a lot of the general public would not even be aware of them, yet if you said to a non car person , I have a Ford LTD or Fairlane most would know instantly you were talking an up market ford.
Territory LTD has a nice ring to it. :-) .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #16
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin' View Post
2011G6E: I'd almost be inclined to agree except maybe the fairlane modeled off the EL. I thought that was a classy car.
Ye G6E with EcoLPi... Sweet as candy with big wheels.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #17
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Flagship- Big F350 daully!
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #18
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81 View Post
Flagship- Big F350 daully!
What about an F650 LOLLLLLL!
Old 22-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #19
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

> thread
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #20
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Phht...the last good Fairlane was the ZH...

Flame suit fitted...
Throw in the P6 LTD too. Last of the REAL long wheelbase luxo Fords that was clearly different both inside and outside to it's smaller brother.

I can't see us getting any real luxo LWB Fords in the future unless Ford/Lincoln do what they are doing with the 'Stang and produce worldwide RHD cars, essentially emulating Lexus/Toyota.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #21
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bloody hell is the truck from U.S or U.K? Wonder what sort of motor it runs?
Old 22-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #22
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I once owned a ZG fairlane and I loved it
The demise of the ford flag ship vehicle was as a result of very poor sales of the "AU" model LTD/ Fairlane which I thought was hideous

Ford had a stranglehold on this market for years and rightly so as their product was way better than the statesman

My how things change
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic View Post
When I was in Australia I looked everywhere I could for books on Australian Fords. All I've really been able to find is Falcon GT stuff. I couldn't find anything at all about Fairlanes. They don't seem to be documented very well.

Someone should write a comprehensive history of Ford of Australia. I've got a grat book about Ford of Britain, but of course it was written after Dagenham closed.
There has been a few good books about FoA. The best one was called True Blue- 75 years of Ford in Australia. Came out in 2001 or around that time.

I've got 2 copies, all employees got one.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #24
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd love a bf ltd! just cant afford or justify getting one when the df ltd ticks all the boxes.
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #25
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree it'd be great to have a new flagship. But I am thinking more along the lines of Phaeton/Equus. Just think- The Ford brand is strong enough to be affixed to an exotic supercar (GT), it could definately be affixed to a technological tour-de-force uber limo.
An aluminium or CF bodied sedan that would be embraced by Germany, China and US alike.

Maybe offer a Lincoln version, but personally I think Lincoln has become a cheesy, stale marque. If VW can do the Phaeton while still owning Audi, then Ford could pull it off. A halo model can do wonders, and elevate Ford above other pretenders.

A true One Ford effort, that combines the very best from each region. But Lincoln's existence is an obstacle to this ever happening :(

Last edited by FalconXV; 25-07-2013 at 01:56 AM.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #26
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
I agree it'd be great to have a new flagship. But I am thinking more along the lines of Phaeton/Equus
Phaeton was a flop, and I don't think Equus is doing all that great either. I think if Ford decides there is a market for LWB sedans, it should do what it did for the new XJ (which I think was done before Tata took over). I could see that shape as a Lincoln, or something close to it, with even more masculinity and boldness.
Old 25-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #27
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune blue View Post
I once owned a ZG fairlane and I loved it
The demise of the ford flag ship vehicle was as a result of very poor sales of the "AU" model LTD/ Fairlane which I thought was hideous

Ford had a stranglehold on this market for years and rightly so as their product was way better than the statesman

My how things change
The demise of Fairlane/LTD was due to the luxury LWB market drying up. Ford twigged onto this very early...resulting in a half hearted B-Series Fairlane and a quiet wrap up of the badge with BF. Holden openly admitted the only reason they were able to release a VE Statesman was exports, and the lack of a Fairlane competitor bolstered sales for a few years. The half baked VF Caprice is proof the jig is well and truly up.

I guess it's easy to just blame the AU for everything instead of opening your eyes and being informed.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #28
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Full sized Luxury car sector has basically evaporated, Holden can't even get decent sales of Caprice here.
I think its an indication of the shift in buyer preferences for large luxury SUVs over traditional LWB sedans.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #29
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Phaeton was a flop, and I don't think Equus is doing all that great either. I think if Ford decides there is a market for LWB sedans, it should do what it did for the new XJ (which I think was done before Tata took over). I could see that shape as a Lincoln, or something close to it, with even more masculinity and boldness.
Well VW obviously sees fit to forge ahead with a new model thats coming out soon. Its not about being profitable, its about having a halo model that can show what the company is capable of.
I think Ford has enough brand recognition and history to pull off a limited run of luxury sedans with cutting edge technology- it would be to demonstrate Ford's superiority. BTW I think they should euthanise Lincoln.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #30
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its not about being profitable, its about having a halo model that can show what the company is capable of.
If it's a true halo car, people will want it really badly. If people want it really badly, many people will buy it. If many people buy it, it will be profitable. I've been in the US for nearly 6 years, I have seen more DeLoreans on the road than Phaetons. And they don't even need roads.
Quote:
BTW I think they should euthanise Lincoln.
They probably should. Or do something useful with it. Some Jag-like cars, as I said before. A Lincoln coupe on the new Mustang platform. The current lineup is crap.