Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 23-11-2006, 03:38 PM   #1
EAdriver
EA Spack 3.9 mpi T5

Default Am I Wasting My Time?

Hi all,
i have been planning a turbo conversion for my ea for a few months now and i am a little worried. Im only fairly new to the FF's and by what i have been reading you cant do a turbo conversion unless your loaded? Is there anyone out there that has done one for a resonable price? I am fortunate to work in a automotive retail shop and have acess to any parts at cost price. I currently have in my shed a vl turbo, kingspring lows, lowered monroe gt's, a xf fairmont ghia lsd (needs rebuilding) and a full Nolathane evo kit, now i know this is only a small amount of what i need but so far this has cost me under $1000 i plan on having as much stuff as i possibly need before starting the conversion. i plan on doing handling & suspension first. Does this sound ok or am i wasting my time?

EAdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 03:40 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

you are going to need to source manifolds next, and pending boost an intercooler.

I think what we need is a turbo build checklit/shopping list, so people can just buy bits cheap when they come up and be happy at the end.

does someone have a nice list of required parts?

P.S. anything can be done cheap and a good job, just need to buy parts cheap and do 99% of the work yourself.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
EAdriver
EA Spack 3.9 mpi T5

im doing as much as i can myself i also pretty much know what i need but the list just shows what i got to start.
a list would be good though....
i have access to another head and was planning a cam and valve springs...will the turbo require a particular cam?
Old 23-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #4
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

the list kinda never end there is allways other things you need try a search and you will come up with usefull information,
try snort performance they have cheap kits and are very efective for the price.

exhaust manifold
turbo
wastegate
dump pipe
intercooler
intercooler piping
oil drain in the sump
oil lines/in and outlet
rise of rate fuel reg, depending on what you go for you can use just that you will need a 12:1 rising rate. or if you are going to use a aftermarket ecu, you need a 1:1 boost referance.
aftermarket ecu.. wolf..motec...microtec....autronic etc..
injectors
fuel pump

and ther eallways is other things you come up with.

PS you could save yourself lots of time and money if you bought my car!!!hehe.

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah man its not worth it. You have a VL turbo in the shed. Do that up instead!!
Old 23-11-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
EAdriver
EA Spack 3.9 mpi T5

and if i bought your car i couldnt say "i built it"
besides this car was bought new by my grandad and my nan give it to me when he died. its imacc in and out.
3.9mpfi, t5 s-pack
Old 23-11-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
EAdriver
EA Spack 3.9 mpi T5

sorry i meant a turbo OFF a vl....lol
Old 23-11-2006, 03:51 PM   #8
EAdriver
EA Spack 3.9 mpi T5

im not sure if it will suit the ea but a mate give it to me for $200 when he got a bigger one for his car....it is only a few months old.
Old 23-11-2006, 03:52 PM   #9
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Okay well for your turbo conversion you have a turbo and thats it according to your list.

Refer to ebmanuals list for the other stuff you need. Definately buy his car as its already done. You will need to pull all the stuff off for a RWC so you get to put it all back on a again so technically you can say that you built it.
Old 23-11-2006, 03:58 PM   #10
EAdriver
EA Spack 3.9 mpi T5

yeah but as i also said i have just started and in my eyes for a turbo conv the first place to start is a turbo? and i also said that i wanted to start under my car with all new suspension and bushings why put a turbo on if it handles like a boat?
Old 23-11-2006, 04:25 PM   #11
poomba
xc - my other love

Hey mate, i have built a turbo car (twin turbo ea infact!), and there are sooo many variables. in my humble opinion, what you need to do is juggle two things...

1. what you want
2. what you can afford
remember that power = money, and the question is, how fast do you want to go.

i would recommend making the thing turn and stop first. it sounds like you are on your way, and you hit the nail on the head:

Quote:
i wanted to start under my car with all new suspension and bushings why put a turbo on if it handles like a boat?
so fix that first... you can spend $1000 under there, and it will ride pretty sweet

next thing you need to do is make sure you have a motor that can handle what you want to do with it. you need to decide how much boost you want to run, and if your motor and ecu can take it... (keep in mind that falcon ecu's are not very tunable at all)

finally now you are aware of what you want to do, you need to have everything ready before you want to start bolting bits to it (assuming your motor is ready).

what you need is greatly dependant on what you want (psi). for example, for mild power and very low psi, a modified log manifold will do (just), it is cheap, but be warned, if you get the bug and want to go higher, the log manifold is useless. so buy a tuned length. if you have a standard vl turbo, your boost will be limited. so you will need to consider that.

the further you want to go and the more RELIABLE you want your car, the more you will need...
low boost can get away with a bit... but keep in mind if you do it on the cheap things will be unreliable and you won't get what you paid for. everything seems to compliment the next. the more you spend, the better...

ultimatley, do you research and figure out what you really want. IMO 7K is a good figure for a semi descent turbo setup... everyones opinion will differ here.

apparently pretty fast - 400rwkw BF xr6t!

FG F6 bottom end - GTX3582 - Nizpro 4" exhaust - Nizpro cooler - plazmaman intake - piping - plenum - batt relocation - injectors - surge &044 pump - valve work & valve springs - XCAL
poomba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 04:30 PM   #12
EAdriver
EA Spack 3.9 mpi T5

thanks for the reply poomba. i do understand all these things and i intend on building a good performer that is reliable for a resonable price i dont want anyone to think i want it done cheap what i meant is that i dont want spend a ridiculous amont of money achieving this.
jvc dvd head unit
Schneider HR7000 widescreen roof mount
(sick of watching bob the builder...lol)
15" snowflakes
Old 23-11-2006, 04:37 PM   #13
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

the list just keeps going on, brakes, engineers, steering, suspension, ADR, $$$$

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.

Old 23-11-2006, 04:45 PM   #14
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
Okay well for your turbo conversion you have a turbo and thats it according to your list.

Refer to ebmanuals list for the other stuff you need. Definately buy his car as its already done. You will need to pull all the stuff off for a RWC so you get to put it all back on a again so technically you can say that you built it.

yeah yeah do what he said!! lol buy my car.

Old 23-11-2006, 04:50 PM   #15
EAdriver
EA Spack 3.9 mpi T5

lol.......nope
jvc dvd head unit
15" snowflakes
Old 23-11-2006, 04:54 PM   #16
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not a waste of time if you are prepared to do it and get enjoyment out of doing it, can afford the cash and are prepared for possible down-time. Start small like you mention with bushes etc and build up from there. Remember you need to get it registered afterwrds so take that into consideration.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #17
oneredED
need more boost

Quote:
Hi all,
i have been planning a turbo conversion for my ea for a few months now and i am a little worried. Im only fairly new to the FF's and by what i have been reading you cant do a turbo conversion unless your loaded? Is there anyone out there that has done one for a resonable price?
I have spent a total of $350 so far, and all I have yet to buy is the dump-pipe and a couple more silicon joiners. Have already: All oil lines + fittings, cooler, 3" piping, T04e turbo, manifold, twin B2's, big TB mixer etc. You've got to shop smart, and find friends in the industry who can help you out. If you're prepared to work hard, then I reckon you can save alot of $$$.

EDIT: I am still somewhat of a "gunna" since it is not yet running, but I am at least halfway through fitting it all. Should only take another 2 weeks hopefully.
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 07:26 PM   #18
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

the turbo off a VL would be too small anyways wouldn't it?

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 09:57 PM   #19
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Hey mate.. Check out this thread.. alot of guys doing turbo conversions found it very handy..

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...=1#post1097325

Also the Power adders section can be quite useful..

http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=114

Also as everyone else has said.. if ya shop smart you should be sweet.. So far i have spent less than $500 and i have everything short of cooler and dump piping and oil lines..

Cheers,
Nik
ROOSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 10:05 PM   #20
EAdriver
EA Spack 3.9 mpi T5

thanks heaps mate....
jvc dvd head unit
15" snowflakes
Old 23-11-2006, 10:09 PM   #21
Tiga_EL
Banned

No one sells complete second hand kits these days :(
Tiga_EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 10:20 PM   #22
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredED
I have spent a total of $350 so far, and all I have yet to buy is the dump-pipe and a couple more silicon joiners. Have already: All oil lines + fittings, cooler, 3" piping, T04e turbo, manifold, twin B2's, big TB mixer etc. You've got to shop smart, and find friends in the industry who can help you out. If you're prepared to work hard, then I reckon you can save alot of $$$.

EDIT: I am still somewhat of a "gunna" since it is not yet running, but I am at least halfway through fitting it all. Should only take another 2 weeks hopefully.

Shutup jared you have nothing.

Dont listen to him. I donated him the turbo, manifold, wastegate, 2 intercoolers (yes 2!!!), AND a minispool!
The LPG stuff was given to you too
All hes added is a t3 to t4 flange adapter.
And 90% of the cost of that $350 is the intercooler piping kit that you bought off another member.
You will have to drive around with my name emblazoned across your whole car as a promotional tool for me and my generosity
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post